Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Population of France went up juste un petit peu too, so ratio is likely not that much changed. Until the next censuses they're all just estimates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I really don't know. I didn't think they would stay closed at all, but with this much of it in the community, you would wonder how they are going to open if public health guidance remains as is.

I sent most of my classes home last week with the supplementary material that I'll be using with them for the 6 weeks after Christmas. We were all laughing about how ridiculous I was being. I honestly thought that we were all just going to be super organised coming back to school. Now I really don't know.

Mild so, but still, not nice. Feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That would have been all the mad parties ye had coming up to Christmas, iamwhoiam !

Same in our house , chickens coming home to roost , should have taken down the Mistletoe ! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The entirety of your post is nonsense because a) the risk/reward ratio for COVID vaccines is higher than other childhood vaccines b) we have the infrastructure in place to vaccinate them quickly and cheaply because we have an ongoing booster program and c) the vaccines pay for themselves in the reduction of transmission and reduction of hospitalised patients (both from the recipient and those who it doesn't transmit to).

Your entire rambling post literally had no point to it other than "so we shouldn't vaccinate kids just because", there was no content in it that isn't handled by the above 3 facts but is pretty on note for the majority of your other posts and I expect we'll see the same postings when annual boosters come in as well with you ignoring any and all scientific evidence as you have done all the time.

But look, back up your posts with facts and sources and then a proper debate can happen. Seamus does this, rise to that level rather than digging yourself in further.

• Advertisement

Still no case numbers for today yet. I find it a bit worrying (overdramatic!?) that we've not heard anything yet - are they just that busy maybe?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Possibly first proper working day back

They may be waiting for e.g discharge data

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

So, I assume then that because there were a few office parties in No 10 a year ago, that's not a big deal either, and not worth reporting?

For the record, I don't really think the DFA drinks thing is that big of a deal, but it shouldn't have happened, and it was monumentally stupid to post it on Twitter during a lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I hadn't even thought of this until GG mentioned it. Too embedded in the numbers, not looking at the wider picture.

The current isolation rules are going to make running schools and indeed most businesses fairly impossible.

I've seen lots of whinging on Twitter about bosses telling people that if they've a negative antigen and no symptoms they have to come to work.

But that seems like the only reasonable thing an employer can do without shutting down completely.

But public sector can't do that off their own bat, they can't ignore the official health advice.

So I can only see this going one of two ways;

1. Change the official health advice so that only people with symptoms and/or positive tests must isolate.

2. Go back into a functional lockdown (schools closed, businesses can stay open if they want, no movement restrictions), because it is the only practical way to maintain the health rules without causing complete chaos.

The numbers are late again today. I know we've been here before but the skeptic in me reckons there are fevered phone calls taking place behind the scenes before they announce today's record breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

4 year old , gf and Myself all tested yesterday at same time . Results for those 2 are in both negative.

3rd one still waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

There is a big difference between partying during a surge with thousands of people dying daily and a period with very low cases and restrictions easing, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

16,428 for today, 47 extra in hospital, 1 extra in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,154 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

16,428 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

We need a level 5 lockdown ASAP !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,163 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

And so, the highest per capita rates in Europe as suspected, though I haven't seen the Nordic numbers.

Given that PCR testing is saturated, and we are at a rate that exceeds 50%, the real case numbers are probably 25,000-30,000 per day of new infection.

Even at a low estimate of <0.1% hospitalisation, the health service is about to come under its worst onslaught of pressure since this pandemic began.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Our local credit union has to close due to lack of staff with isolating and being contacts. I guess that will become a common theme across a sectors in the next few weeks, just no staff to function normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I think it makes sense that a small wealthy country in Western Europe has the highest reported rates. Nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,682 ✭✭✭brickster69

Champions of Europe per population with 95% vaxed and the world's longest restrictions.

Going to take some doing to get rid of the " plague island " trophy now lads.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Looks like closing hospitality at 8pm without question reduced the infections numbers.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

I dont think we need a level 5 lockdown - most businesses are going to close anyway.

Hopefully after the next 2 weeks, we will be on the downward slide of this wave.

3 restaurants in my locality have had to do the same. I can't imagine the stress and anxiety it is causing them

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

No, they won't . If you have symptoms they get paid for every referral ,so there is no problem there so.

It's the only gig in town this week .;/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

A lot of fully vaxxed antigen positives i know not bothering with pcr as too hard to get and only prolonging their countdown especially if travelling after holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

This is not Delta. We have a huge proportion of population vaccinated and boosted. Biggest threat to health service will be absences.

Local pubs all shut. Had a blowout stephens days, standing room only. Customers all sick. Bar staff all sick. Covid has done what the government hadnt the balls to do,,shut down hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭greyday

Over 16K infections from just over 37K tests, Tony is extremely worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

The whole western world is seeing record infections at the moment. I suspect things will look alot better at the end of January. Xmas would appear to amply infections.

I do think societies are going to need a Winter plan for the next few years. After 2 years of Covid, we know it is seasonal do a response will need to be enacted from Oct thru to March next winter

• Advertisement

Yes. Think they should change the restriction rules for close contacts to 5 days as other jurisdictions have if no symptoms and negative antjgen tests .

This appears to show positive for most if not all within that time frame .

Also being discussed by a few doctors / scientists ( Mina , for one ) that the throat needs to be swabbed as the nasal tissue is slower to have antigen response with this variant and thus antigen tests are only picking up Omicron when it is too late .

Advertisement