Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Make your own Jadam microbial solution and apply before or during rain.

Cost negligible. And learn more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ginger22

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Seawater, deciduous forest soil and mashed potatoes.

That's from the jadam book which I could get in trouble for. But anyway probably a 1000 other pages for anyone that wants to buy the book. They've shared the recipe elsewhere anyway so.

You'd get a little kick in growth from it. But really they advise multiple applications over the year. Theory being it works in the anaerobic soil depths and makes more carbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Quoted €700 for CAN today.

Cash sale only. Delivery end of January. Was told take it or leave it, price is going up again in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭893bet

What’s 18 6 12 at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

750 …..have bit of fertiliser secured and paid for ….this upfront payement is a concern if there going to keep it up …going to put a serious strain on finances so early in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Ole chap was questioning us here on why money was a bit tight at the minute a few weeks ago, didn't dawn on him why till I gave him the figure of what money was tied up in the 50 ton of fertiliser sitting in the shed, have great cashflow coming in here at the minute, so can cover the above easily enough, but strict spring calving herds that might of spent the rainy day money in the backend on capital expenditure/machinery etc and are blissfully unaware that they won't be getting credit in the spring are in for a rude awakening, ulster Bank pulling the pin and obviously not going to play ball with lads with extending overdrafts etc is another fly in the ointment

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

Will this result in an increased demand for rental land and/or sileage. Last couple of years i had no offers on sileage cut ( only one cut as in process of restoring meadows) and was cut and taken away for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,664 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You see merchants face exactly the same issue. They are looking at a 100% increase in cost. They cannot afford to carry that credit. There is a two fold issue lads that normally buy on credit would still want it and lads that never demanded it before might require up to 50% of present price.

A trader that maybe normally sold 10 million in fertlizer might have got paid for 50% straight off or within 30 days. Now he is looking at a 20 million liability and maybe only bringing in 5-6 million at or within 30 days of sale. It would be impossible for him to finance 15 million. Even if he did instead of maybe paying 3% last year banks might want 5-6% on higher borrowings this year which would eat into his profit margin. Add in normal bad very late payers and it adds risk. Because of this it's easier it to give any credit besides having to pick and choose. As well if Fertlizer is scarce it a handy way to ration it

Where the real risk might be is lads that are doing shed and concrete work over the next few weeks. They may struggle to collect payments as buying fertlizer may become a priority. I was talking to a scaffolder that dose some jobs on the side. These would mainly be small builder's or self builds. He said on self builds it's getting harder to get the money off the clients as rising material prices are impacting them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If lads spend rainy day money on machinery they have bigger problems tbh. Not everyone is as you make them out to be, everyone I've spoken to has known whats coming and are taking their own measures. Anyone in spring calving systems should be used to managing cashflow.

Of course some are gonna find it tight depending on whats going on. Do accounts early, make a plan talk to banks or whatever and sort out what needs sorting for yerselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I have 40 % of fert, in yard should do me to June .

Are lads holding fire before buying for use beyond this ,it looks fert. will be dearer in Feburary and it will take a long time to drop in price

It will all come out in the wash, the stop-clock is been ran down now as we speak, the likes of yara/grassland/gouldings need to be buying and paying for april/may fertilizer now for their to be any hope the required tonnages will be available, unless the majority of tillage/dairy farmers front this cash up in the first few weeks of January the above aren't going to pull the trigger at current prices hoping they'll get a margin on it....

Biggest standout is the lack of urgency from co-ops, glanbia been a standout I hope I'm wrong but I reckon they aren't going to put the funding funding up to secure enough fertiliser for lads, they'll pull the "financial disapline card"

Big difference tho this spring tho moo is fertiliser ….it’s cost ….availability …lack of credit .and if cash is there and it’s spent on fertiliser now it leaves a big hole for rest of spring till April may when decent milk cheques start rolling in ….combine that with concentrate prices. Rising ..fuel ,power and increasing contractor prices it’s going to impact even the most efficient of farmers

Ran the numbers the other day, and a 32 cent base price working of early 2020 feed, fert,and fertilizer prices left us alot better off then the current ratios, the standout figure was a Feb load of fert bought in 2020 25% of the April milk cheque paid for it, working of next year at a base price of 40 cent at the same solids and litres at current fertiliser prices you'll be losing 75% of next years April milk cheque, that destroys your cashflow no matter what way you look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I thought the increases in fertiliser is equivalent to 2-3c a litre

I think your calculation has gone astray somewhere. If it cost 25% last year @32c/L its not possible that it will cost 75% @40c/L. Fertlizer has between doubled and trebbled depending on product in price compared to last Spring. Even if buying all Urea or CAN its about 2.8 time last years price. That is abouy 56% of April's cheque.

That is supposed to be the average over the year Jay is paying for maybe all his spring and early summer demand out of one cheque.

Slava Ukrainii

Bought a load of sulpha can for €210 in Jan 2020, paid 710 euro at start of December that’s 3.37 last years price, got 90 days credit on the 2020 fert too, take into account the craic now of payment before delivery and if your putting it onto the overdraft your ratio is heading for 3.5 last years price

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

That's why I said above to plan ahead, and talk to the banks, more places than the merchant for credit if required. The situation is what it is, no point saying the world is ending if there is something you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Exactly, prices will come down but what's made now will not, put the order in for what's needed and pay the piper as there's no real scenario in prices dropping, farmers need to review what they need and what they're willing to spend and order it soon as it might be harder to get come the spring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

How about you compare this year's ratio with 2019. Last year's prices were historically low relatively speaking (for the exact same reasons that this year's are high). Most people should have a nice surplus left over from last year to be able to finance the cashflow themselves

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

By all accounts fertilizer companies have really ramped up production and are pumping it out

Sulpha can was 240 in June 2019 looking back on it, these surpluses if your operating as a sole trader not in a company the tax man in October will be due half of it...

Its the short term hit of trying to finance fert/meal/milk replacer etc in the jan-april months thats going to put the squeeze on, wasn't circa 500 hundred a cow of a kitty what was thought of as a good average to get you through the spring for inputs before the April/may cheques started rolling in historically

Will the banks finance short term credit for fertiliser at current prices ….and is it a wise thing to do 🤔🤔🤔…we’ll all have to suck it up with high prices for next 6/8 months using spare cash to buy it could leave your account in not so nice shape next late spring/early summer especially with all other inputs going up too .I’ve enough urea and fertiliser to get me to may ….but have no plans to spread any before March and quantity spread per application will be cut ,slurry and lime will be king for early grass have full pit Of maize and meal will make up any deficit

Larger buyers are not getting the discounts that they got 12 months ago. I paid 240 for Sulpha Can in Early January last year( off the top of my head) and paid 350 for Urea and 18-6-12. I never use CAN before June ( fertlizer for 2nd cut generally with slurry ) all urea and 18-6-12. I will leave the CAN aside this year even though I can access it at710/ ton like you. I think 18-6-12 @ 760-770 would be better value.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I’d be thinking like yourself but from a beef perspective. I think any beef farmer would be in Russian roulette territory taking out bank loan for fert in current climate notwithstanding who knows price of beef next August September. It’s a case of riding it out and see what cash you have spare. Weather will also play its part - not much giving 700-800 for ton of can if we’ve a heatwave or a monsoon season.

no easy answers either way I’m afraid.

Last year cheapest in 7-10 years fertlizer costing 3.5k for my beef operation, when urea was at 450/ ton my present cost would be 4.5 k. If I buy my normal quota without CAN it will cost 7kish or 2.5k above previous peak and 3.5 k over last year. That is 40 or 60/ head respectively.

Margin last year was 300/ head net. I will buy and ride the rhino on beef prices. I can only see ration prices going one way. 1-2k will buy very little other animal feedstuff later in the year. I will not be borrowing. Beef and borrowing is not compatible

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

I very much doubt many of the beef lads are going to buy a whole pile of fertiliser this year. It’s going to finish a lot of lads that were border line staying at it. A lot more are going to just trim back and the main issue here is not going to be just credit on the fertiliser but they aren’t going to be able to finance purchasing more cattle either. It’s going to kill off a fair share of suckler lads that are producing middle of the road types. The good lad will always sell but it’s going to be at a price.( Bass and Jameson and anto you can stop orgasming now.)

it’s going to skyrocket the price of rental land and leave a serious glut of cattle coming into the second half of next year and 2023.

it’s going to be an interesting couple of years ahead but I’d say in one swoop there’s going to be a huge amalgamation of farms.

I’m probably way out but it’s what I’m reading from this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

In Europe yes, they have resumed but there is still a global shortage and that's building still. Asia is the main market globally for fertilizer and the price and demand is still running ahead.

It will be dearer in 3 months than it is today, maybe not in 6 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Why is rented land going to skyrocket in price, particularly as it has just got a whole lot more expensive to fertilise it, and farmers wouldn't have the money for the fertiliser, not to mind the ground?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

Plenty of lads around me reckoning it will be cheaper to rent and graze unfertilised ground at lower stocking rates than buy fertiliser.

Advertisement