Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Agreed - Anybody claiming Bailey is 100% innocent is blinded.

I personally don't think he murdered Sophie for a number of reasons. The 'against bag' certainly out weighs the 'he did it bag'.

And as mentioned numerous times, his character is somewhat tarnished due to several domestic violence issues in the past.

But anyone who researches the subject and it's array of characters, will soon discover that a number of other locals had a propensity for violence too..

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭flopisit

I've yet to see any poster here who is utterly convinced of Bailey's innocence.

I've seen quite a few in this thread just recently.

The posters who come on here convinced of Baileys guilt have yet to make any reasonable points as to why he should have been charged apart from claiming the DPP's report was a joke.

I agree. There was definitely not enough to charge and the DPP made the right decision. However, I would say that the DPP makes a number of stupid statements and assumptions in this report that indicate to me he is not very familiar with murder cases and especially criminal behaviour.

they'd be happy for an innocent man to go to prison just because he isn't likeable in their minds. This is how miscarriages of justice happen.

I agree. If you look at forums dedicated to the Jonbenet Ramsey case (as a good example) there are so many people who were angry that the DA in that case didn't charge them. It was submitted to a grand jury, the grand jury indicted them, but the DA decided not to indict them and was heavily criticised. I think the DA in that case was the only level headed person involved. Authorities should only charge someone if they are sure the person is guilty.

Simple fact of the matter is Bailey had no motive

You will find many cases that have no apparent motive. On TV everyone has a motive, but in real life it is much more complex. This crime is not an unusual one. It's just that you never see crimes like this on TV because they are so mundane. Sometimes they barely get reported on. For example, there was a prostitute (Belinda Pereira) savagely beaten to death in an apartment in Dublin a few days after Sophie's murder, but nobody paid much attention and her killer was never found.

Regarding motive, when a man kills a woman that is not his wife/girlfriend/relative, it is usually a sexual motive. When a rapist attacks a woman and she fights back and he ends up killing her, he usually will not rape her. Does that mean there is no motive? Of course not. The motive is still sexual assault even though there is no sexual assault. Some crimes can not involve sex at all but still be sexually motivated. Another example, the UK killer Levi Bellfield. He attacked some women as they walked home at night and bludgeoned them with a hammer. No rape. No sexual interference. But those were sexually motivated crimes. (The Yorkshire Ripper was another with a similar MO)

his behavior in the aftermath (reporting on the crime for weeks, taking two court cases against the state & media)

I would give, as a good example, the behaviour of Ted Bundy - he had a public rivalry with the DA, courted the media, claimed he was being framed by overzealous and corrupt cops, acted as his own defence attorney at trial etc. In Ted Bundy's case it is the behaviour we would expect from a narcissist who wants to maintain and exert control.

its highly unlikely he even knew her.

We have Alfie and Leo Bolger and other witnesses. But even if we didn't believe them, whether Bailey knew her or not is immaterial. By his own admission, he knew of her. You can murder someone you don't know personally. Plenty of murders are stranger murders, especially crimes against women in which the motive is sexual.

no DNA evidence of his was found at the scene

Due to TV and movies we have come to expect DNA in every case. In actual fact, most cases don't have DNA evidence. Circumstantial cases are regularly brought in court. Some people have indicated that it was unusual that in Sophie's case, no DNA was found. The fact is, in similar murders, usually DNA is not found.

there's no credible witness statements,

Because people choose not to believe certain witnesses. For example, we have 4 witnesses who say Bailey had a fire around the back of the Prairie over the 25th-26th period.

To top it off he was happy for the investigators to take his DNA & was willing to conduct a lie detector test.

The DPP, in one of his stupid statements said his willingness to give DNA was indicative of innocence. A huge percentage of cases in which DNA convicts are cases in which the killer voluntarily gave his DNA to the police. Guilty people regularly do this.

Guilty people also regularly agree to be polygraphed and regularly fail. It's very common for murderers to say they will take a polygraph initially, but when push comes to shove, they end up not taking it. In Bailey's case, his polygraph comments are clearly empty words.

its certainly highly unlikely behavior from someone who would have carried out this crime.

Well, I would disagree. Among other things, I would expect the killer in this crime to 1. Be obsessed with the crime and in the aftermath of the crime be trying to find out what the police are doing and how much they know. 2. I would expect him to comply with requests for DNA/hair because he would believe refusing those requests would bring undue attention to him. 3. I would expect him to claim he is willing to take a lie detector.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

Decent article, very well researched and he seemed very informed. If all info was to hand could well have been a quick job but there's a richness to it that suggests it was anything but.

I've been doing some research on his newspaper articles and he always used Eoin Bailey, even before the murder. In one article I found, he was credited as Eoin O'Baille. He has barely any articles published before the murder - just a tiny review of a hothouse flowers gig and another of a ronnie drew gig. These were in the Southern Star, hidden away in the back pages on someone else's Entertainments page. He says in an interview that he specialized in reporting on musicians and makes it seem as if he did many articles like this, but there are only two - hothouse flowers and Ronnie Drew.

In fairness to him, he also had a large article about the Michael Collins movie (it was released in 1996 and premiered in Cork) in The Southern Star.

The Cyberpub article was the only one he was ever asked to do for the Tribune before the murder, probably because no other reporter could be arsed in 1996 to write about the Internet.

Prior to the night of the murder, he was doing the sort of thing you would do when you're in school and working on the school magazine/school newspaper. (At least that's what I did when I was in secondary school :D)

IMO, prior to the murder, Eoin Bailey was not a working journalist. He is trying to make it seem as if he was a journalist who just turned his attention to the crime that happened nearby, In actual fact, he wasn't a proper journalist since the 1980s in England and even then, he was mostly just writing local filler articles for sale to other newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Im not even going to go through the majority of your replies to my post because I value my time but the fact that you call the DPP's report "stupid" says alot. Who are you? but an anonymous poster on a internet forum calling out the DPP's report at the time. That's ridiculous for any rational minded person. You have zero credibility, zero authority, zero real evidence & zero real understanding of this case in comparison to the DPP. Typical of the "Bailey did it" posters. Your arrogance knows no bounds, typical behavior of individuals who like to condemn people in trial by media but go missing when the truth comes out & they are completely contradicted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

You may have seen that someone else posted a link where Shirley is talking to a French documentary maker. However much she dislikes being thrust into the limelight and is shy and reserved, it didn't stop her casting aspersions on Bailey when she would have been well aware that there was no real evidence of his having done anything.She did accompany Alfie to the libel trial, where he gave his 90% certain evidence. Just as much as, according to Dwyer, Bailey was trying to distract people suggesting a French angle to the killing, Shirley and Alfie were trying to distract people from themselves suggesting Bailey had something to do with it.

Sounds like you didn't read anything I said.

I was replying to your post in a friendly way and I agreed with some of the things you said.

I said the DPP made a number of stupid statements and assumptions in this report and I stand by that. Elsewhere in his report, he makes some good points. His decision not to charge Bailey, despite the pressure, was the right one.

You call me "arrogant" and ask who am I? Who are you to ask me who am I? :D

Who are you to question the DPP's report?? If you think you're so smart, back it up. To make such an outlandish claim that our DPP's report at the time was "stupid", you'd want to have fairly big qualified "liathroidi" to challenge this. Its a valid question if you seek to challenge. Cat got your thonge or

I suppose my liathroidi must be of a fair size. :D I question the DPP's report the same way I question any report in any case. If you intentionally rely only on the DPP's opinion, then you will inevitably come away simply agreeing with him.

If you look at my initial reply to you, I pointed out one very important point on which the DPP was very stupid and which indicated to me that he was not familiar with murder cases or the behaviour of murderers. I could point out other stupid assumptions he makes.

But why just Bailey "could certainly have flown into a murderous rage rendering him capable of obliterating her face with a concrete block"? Why not any one or two of a number of people who we know did know her well. Alfie, Leo, Shirley, Finbarr etc.

Just because of some ridiculous theories and lies by people like Detective "Colombo" Dwyer( his arms were destroyed with scratches) were a list of 50 suspects reduced to one after two weeks. TWO WEEKS?

If you genuinely feel that this was a normal investigation and you don't have an ulterior motive, you can't be helped.

• Advertisement

What member of AGS was having relations with whose wife?

and if someone has been in contact with bailey should they acknowledge it?

No, I rely on the DPP's report because its the ONLY credible report into the investigation of STDP's death. Anyone with an ounce of cop on would rely on it, not some randomers postings off the internet about how its not credible because it doesn't align with their own warped narrative of how the crime was carried out mainly because they don't like Bailey as a person.

Its actually gas how the anti bailey crew come on here, accuse people who want a proper open investigation into the death of STDP as being conspiracy theorists but the only credible report ever conducted in this case completely exonerates him, casts a dark shadow over the gards investigation & the so called witnesses who were completely inconsistent in everything they said (many of them bribed & intimidated). People accusing posters who want an open investigation of being conspiracy theorists need to take a look in the mirror.

.... Back that up... If, you are so smart.

Wouldnt need to be that smart to come across more informed than you I have to say. Again, go back on the thread, read it, look a bit into the case, educate yourself then come back here instead of asking stupid questions.

Says the individual making comments about me to other posters on this thread through pms. Take your profile off private & we can have a proper chat or even better yet, meet up in person.

It seems that some posters here who have quite strong opinions didn't watch the Jim Sheridan documentary which is the subject of this thread???? He brings our attention to a few statements that help the Garda case but are contradicted by video evidence or are made so long after they event they have no credibility. When people are questioning the evidence in front of their own eyes or are confident enough to suggest that they might have done a better job than the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions you know there's something seriously amiss.

Jim tells us that his research led him to understand that there were still some 'marks' (fingerprints or DNA?) left at the scene that hadn't been reconciled to anyone. He found this information in some French files. His investigations have led him to become part of a push that means there are presently investigations being carried out in France. Given that his take is the most reasonable I have found from anyone who has made it their business to produce media about this case (Ralph Riegel has displayed a laudable interest in facts), I would be confident that his instincts and maybe inside information will produce results.

And Bailey being a journalist would be familiar with police techniques

there's no credible witness statements,

Because people choose not to believe certain witnesses. For example, we have 4 witnesses who say Bailey had a fire around the back of the Prairie over the 25th-26th period.

True, here is one above and three others make it more credible

Again, not credible, Jules Thomas(now separated from Bailey & with no reason to lie) herself said this so called bonfire was carried out in November or early December at the latest. Interesting how none of these so called witnesses were willing to go to the kangaroo court in France to back up their witness statements of this fire. Same as the gards investigating the crime i suppose, I guess lying under oath is something they weren't willing to do. That can actually carry consequences for them & their pensions we all pay for if found to be false.

This case is actually an interesting case in point of the type of hysteria you can drum up in a local community when gards go around a local community painting a man who is most likely innocent as a vicious murderer. Unfortunately back then, people tended to believe everything the gards told them, thankfully in recent times people are becoming more aware of the 'activities' of our police force & how corrupt they actually are

Lol

So you won't clarify what Garda was having relations with whose wife despite claiming that was instrumental to this case not being solved.

Joker

• Advertisement

What exactly is contradicted by video evidence? The scratches?

How long after the fact can a statement be taken before it loses credibility? What is the time frame?

If you meet someone at a party and then a year later, the police ask you if you met that person at that party, is your statement completely incredible?

I would not trust Jim Sheridan's judgement on anything much. He has no knowledge of criminal cases and one statement from him in particular shows him to be quite clueless. He made a big deal about a "crime of passion" and asked the French prosecutors if they would charge Bailey with a crime of passion. The whole discussion is idiotic and indicates he doesn't know the first thing about murder cases. Jim is a dope when it comes to crime. A truly great director though.

I agree about Ralph Riegel. I rely on his book above anyone else. Of course, I rely for facts on the documents, DPP, GSOC etc.

Is the meeting in person some kind of wannabe hardman thing?

The only joker around here is a clown who goes around asking questions on a forum that have been answered multiple times already.

I would not trust Jim Sheridan's judgement on anything much. He has no knowledge of criminal cases and one statement from him in particular shows him to be quite clueless. He made a big deal about a "crime of passion" and asked the French prosecutors if they would charge Bailey with a crime of passion. The whole discussion is idiotic and indicates he doesn't know the first thing about murder cases. Jim is a dope when it comes to crime

narrating too and standing in front of the camera. The scene at her grave is painful cringe

Sending pms about me to other posters & then putting me on ignore. lol! pathetic.

Jules said the bonfire was November or October even. Bailey is the one who says early december. I don't think Jules has spoken about it after the split.

I would point out, Ian had a reputation before the murder, for going walkabout at night, pushing Jules' car out with the engine off so she wouldn't hear him drive off in the night, wandering around the area half naked in the dark of night... screaming and howling outside people's houses etc. Some neighbors were afraid of him long before Dec 96. Peter Bielecki for one... and the Jacksons.

Ian had a reputation before the murder, for going walkabout at night, pushing Jules' car out with the engine off so she wouldn't hear him drive off in the night, wandering around the area half naked in the dark of night... screaming and howling outside people's houses etc. Some neighbors were afraid of him long before Dec 96. Peter Bielecki for one... and the Jacksons.

where did you get this? especially the pushing Jules' car out with the engine off so she wouldn't hear him drive off in the night,

• Advertisement

I'm doing some detailed timelines on reddit so I just came across this piece of info a few days ago when I was researching for that:

"Asked had she told gardaí Mr Bailey could have pushed out her car without her knowing and freewheeled it down the road, as he had done in the past, she said she did not think she said that and also denied saying Mr Bailey sometimes went “walkabout” at night."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20300124.html

It's not a well-known piece of info. It apparently is what she said in her statement (during her 10th Feb arrest) but in 2014 she says she doesn't remember saying it, but does not deny saying it. It's from the part of the 2014 trial where she claims the gardai doctored her statements, even though she signed them all at the time.

Post edited by flopisit on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement