Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Well we wouldn't be cos if Bissouma or someone came in and got injured we would have Elliot available now so still 1 exxtra option in midfield which would have made the world of difference imo. I get why it couldnt be Bissouma but I just meant someone of that level. I mean Gini wasnt even a highly coveted player when we signed him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think the pressure will be on FSG to spend a significant amount of money next Summer. We only have 2 seasons of Klopp left after that and everything should be done to give him the tools he needs to win more trophies. Even leaving that aside, Liverpool have one of the oldest teams in the Premier League so the age profile has to come down before much longer. Defensively we're not so bad and they invested in Konate last Summer. But younger legs are needed in midfield and up front. Hendo and Thiago are 31 and 30 respectively so someone like Bellingham makes a lot of sense and could be there for the next decade. And a younger version of Mane or someone similar would also be needed. That would be bare minimum stuff but would still require a significant outlay from FSG. Arsenal spent 150M odd last Summer having had no CL football in ages so FSG have little excuse if they don't spend in 2022. No point keeping the money for Klopp's successor when that is still years away. Let Klopp and Edwards (before he leaves) do a mini rebuild to freshen up the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

You were shot down because you were wrong and Mane's slump now suddenly suiting your incorrect narrative doesn't change that. This is Mane's numbers at the start of December, 6th best forward in Europe at the time but yes you were right all along about him not being the player he was for 2 years.

I wasnt wrong. I was judging what I saw with my own two eyes versus what I had seen from Mane the past 5 years and it is obvious he has regressed the past year or so. A mini upward trajectory in chances converted doesnt change that. I daresay if you went back and compared his own successful dribbles and chances converted (stuff life that) from 2-5 years ago versus the past 2 years you would see a massive drop off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

For all the talk of decline in Mane. Both him & Salah leave for a month on Monday. Their replacements, Taki & Origi are both injured.

• Advertisement

Stats don’t always tell the story. Ronaldo’s stats are probably good as well, but no one thinks he is the player he was a few yrs ago. Mane seems to lose control of the ball a lot more than he used to, and seems to miss more than he used to. Maybe that is wrong, maybe he is getting more chances, but he hasn’t scored in a league game since Arsenal on November 20. That is 9 games, 13.5 hours of football, and he has had a lot of chances in those games. The concern is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

And jota and bobby will start. We'll be alright if the mentality is.

See. Even now I'm being told i was wrong about Mane. Some people just can't see what's right in front of them I guess.

Nobody disagreed with you that he had a poor season last season. The player himself admitted that. The fact is you had him written off this season too when his underlying numbers proved otherwise and this is all anyone pointed out to you.

The point back then was he was fine and his numbers were proving that as demonstrated above. If his current form sustains through the rest of this season then nobody will disagree with you about him being a problem then either.

All anyone did is disagree that he was a problem in the first few months of this season beacuse he clearly wasn't. 100% he is right now though.

I suspect we'll have a refreshed front three next season and I'm not sure Sadio or Bobby will be part of it. The club would appear to sensibly waiting to see if they can get Mo tied to a new deal, if they do, one or both of the other two may well depart this summer. If Mo doesn't sign it changes things hence the club hedging their bets right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Mane in 2019 was probably the form Player in all of Europe, he was just phenomenal for a spell there. He's not at that level now, that much is true, but he is still integral to how we play. His physical attributes stretch our game, and he works very hard out of possession.

His finishing is a little off though, it always has been really, he's always missed chances.

Do you not think he slows up play by consistently checking back and looking sidewards when he gets the ball on the run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

He's always going to tend to check back, being a right footer playing on the left. He's also going to cut in as a ploy to release space for Robbo on the outside.

Mane is not beyond critism. I like him, but he's not perfect and isn't beyond replacing if a better option comes up.

As an aside, since the 2019 season, when both City and Liverpool had almost perfect seasons, what has the spend of the 2 clubs been? Someone has probably done it already, but I'd suspect City's spend has been much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I think that's part of what is wrong with Mane now. I remember back in 2019 he pretty much beat his man down the line 99% of the time. It was phenomenal how easy he made it look just gliding by the full back by just poking the ball past him. It was Henry-esq at times...now he either no longer has the ability or confidence to try taking the man on full time so what you get is the first 20 minutes of him attempting to do so but he ends up running into dead ends or actually making a poor touch and pushing the ball out over the end line. He then referts back to just holding up play and checking back inside which often slows things down endlessly. Also when he does this he often delays the killer pass by taking a extra touch which gets him into trouble. He just seems very indecisive these days....he will still get goals because chances will fall his way due to the nature in which we play and attack. But his alround play is actually leading to very few chances or opportunities for team mates, a lot of the time our good attacking play just dies at his fee these days.

No I said he wasnt the player he was 2 years ago and had regressed and that his numbers were masking that fact. Almost everyone disagreed and claimed Mane would get back to his best and used his numbers to back that up. Meanwhile even during that run of good goalscoring form it was clear to see Mane wasnt the same player. He was having trouble controlling the ball most the time and hardly ever skinned player like he used to for fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If we were bringing in yet another midfielder ahead of Elliott, I think he'd have gone on loan again, and if not, one of the others would have been sold for a loss. We have an absolute tonne of midfielders, there really wasn't room to add yet another, without making space (we started the season with 8 senior CM's, even without including Morton - that's a lot!). I daresay the powers that be looked, saw that there was a kid coming through that Klopp was confident could take Gini's place, and saw that we couldn't offload anyone else for any money at all after already losing Gini on a free, and it was a clear enough decision. It was just unlucky that the guy brought up as his replacement got injured. Such is life.

This is not the impression I got from all last year on here anyway, with absolute torrents of abuse given towards Mane's performances... I would've said the popular opinion was "this fella is absolutely cat this year. he needs to show something soon, or he'll be out the door".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I will have a go, numbers from Transfermarkt -

Since 18-19 we have spent 133m euro - players coming in include Minamino, Jota, Thiago, Tsimikas and Konate

We sold players for 88.7m Euro so net spend of 44.3m euro for 3 seasons. Now before someone gets upset, the previous season we spent 182m and received around 41.3m euro so don't get too excited by FSG not spending money.

City in this time spent 459.3m euro - Cancelo, Rodri, Dias, Ake Torres, and Grealish among others

They sold players for 241m euro so their net spend during this time is 218m euro.

So yes they have spent so much more on a squad that was already very good. Just as an aside in 17/18 City spent 317.5m euro and received 91.3m euro. So that year alone their net spend was 226.2m euro. That is more than we spent in 3 seasons. They are making fun of spending and make a joke of the league. Yes, this is some sour grapes, but Etihad Airways is a billion dollar a year losing airline (some years, they are working towards making money by treating their employees like, well employees in the UAE). They should not be anywhere near sponsorships to the level they are. But then this is the Premier League, where they go "legally binding" assurances that PLF is not the Saudi state and will not control the club. They don't care if it brings in the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

And presumably if you went back an extra year Liverpool's net spend goes negative with the Coutinho transfer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

This is what we're up against, not that we needed any proof.

• Advertisement

You are correct, we are 10m euro up from the Coutinho sale. Spent 173.8m and received 184.5m euro.

Now the argument would be we spent the Coutinho money on Van Dijk and the next year's transfers. In which case we spent 266m euro the next 18 months Coutinho was sold and we received 176m euro. But then the previous summer we spent 89.2m on the likes of Salah and Oxlaide-Chamberlain and Robertson and we received 49.5m that year. So about 40m net spend that year instead of -10m euro if you include Van Dijk and Coutinho.

Just depends where you want to put which transfers, the overall picture doesn't change that much. We aren't throwing cash around, but we are spending money and it is what FSG told us they would do. Spend what we earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

City 9 points ahead of us now.

I remember in 19/20 when we opened this-sized gap on City feeling we were going to do it.

They've been in beast mode most of the season and gritting out 1-0 wins like champions do when not steamrolling the 'makeweights'.

The samesuch 'makeweights' have usually followed the pack-the-defence-and-hit-on-the-break formula against us with far too frequently jammy dividends.

Immensly galling to watch even an occasional 'one of those days' where we dominate possession and pepper shots only for their single shot to find the net, as it almost certainly means City inevitibly sweep aside the Brentfords & co. to make the league feel more and more hopeless this year.

As we're not buying Mbappes or Haalands this summer so I'm trusting to another couple of 'diamonds in the rough' being pulled out of the hat as an Edwards parting gift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Does frugal mean spending what you have or less than you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Ah I fully agree with everything you say. I guess I’m just disillusioned by the way it’s all going.

I just remember being in school around the time of the Wenger fergie war and being glued to games. I guess we all look back at things rose tinted.

it has always been a game of those who have and those who have not, but now those who have is a group getting smaller each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A lot of the papers have Saka is interested in moving to Liverpool his contract is up in 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We should have went all in before he signed a contract last season ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What I wouldn't give to go back and give Gini whatever contract length he wanted.

Post edited by noodler on

Nah not at the wages he was looking for ,but we should have replaced him with a younger player ,

Shame about Bissouma's off the pitch issues held have been great ,

So we have Mo, Mane, bobby, Ox & Naby all with 18 months to go so what do we do ,

Id look to sign & keep Mo & Bobby ,

Mo is a must , Bobby id keep as back up ,

Then this summer look to move on Mane, Naby & Ox ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't think Nabby is going anywhere. Klopp clearly likes him and plays him most of the time when he is fit.

When he does play he's usually very good but does have the odd game where the game passes him by for some reason.

Edit: I don't think Ox will be sold either. I'd imagine they'll look to renew him on a similar contract to what he's currently on.

Ya I hear ya, unfortunately the game as we knew it back then is dead and long gone.

The future of football is bleak for us traditionalist, The Super League may have been shot down but that is just the beginning. The top teams will eventually make some arrangements with UEFA and a league to those sorts will be formed. People going around slagging pool fans saying we will have to wait another 30 years for our next title don't realise that in 30 years the PL as we know it won't exist. There is now too much money to be lost on a poor season and missing out on such royalties of European football. These clubs are going to ask for more and more guarantees moving forward and they will eventually get their way. A lot of these super rich earners are investing in America teams now too and they see the comfort in the guaranteed revenue they receive each year over there without the risks of relegations or not qualifying for the top prizes due to the previous poor performance from the previous year.

• Advertisement

City are now the lowest price any team has been at the half way stage to take out the title. A win for them against Arsenal and a draw between Chelsea and Liverpool and most bookies will be paying out.

Just to add, Chelsea has had a loss of £145m for the last year and they owe £1.4b to Abramovic, we are not just competing against a Nation but against another team that also just doesn't worry about money.

Crazy to think that the only thing that stands between the Premier League being regarded like the Bundesliga and French League is our 2 amazing seasons. Without those City would have won 4 in a row now and strolling to a 5th most likely. But because passion it is regarded as the best. I don't see how people can keep up pretending it is anything but boring if City walks away with it again.

Since Leicester won it there have been one title fight, between us and City and even that was just both teams winning every match. Every other season since had no drama on who is going to win the title. It is time everyone called it our for what it is, a closed club that is not exciting to watch, much like F1 really.

It’s all good and well to say we are competing against States and billionaire owners, but the fact is our owners are not poor. So we either look at this period over the past four years as a hot streak during which for the most part, modestly priced players punched above their weight, or, the foundations for ongoing challenges for domestic and European titles. The next 18 months will tell whether we slip back to also-rans fighting each year for fourth spot, or we stay up there with MC/Chelsea/MU if they sort themselves out.

Worst case scenario, Liverpool and Klopp do what MU/AF did and try to wring the last out of ageing players then the manager leaves rather than start a new re-build cycle. I think if FSG want Klopp to stay beyond 2024, they will have to let him see that they have the resources to match his vision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We were 1st, and Man City were 8th with only 26pts this time last season, and no one handed us the title, to say this is over is silly. City have far tougher away games in second half of season. While we'll be tearing it up at places like Burnley, Newcastle, Palace, Southampton. Lets see how they do away to Arsenal, WH, Everton, Wolves,

I have no doubt we'll be winning the league this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I said it last season around early February when we were at our absolute lowest point and was absolutely laughed at for saying it at the time, but, the reality is we are not going to win another league title under Klopp, not because he is not good enough to do it, but, because he doesn't have the financial backing to compete with City under Pep in particular. We had to produce nearly 2 perfect seasons, yet only won one league title. City under Pep are almost unbeatable over the course of a league, they have massive strength in depth, but, Pep keeps them honest too.

Last season was the season we could have won a second title as there was a window of opportunity there, City started last season poorly and were barely hanging on in the title race, but, our slump in form gave them hope and they eventually ran away with it as they knew they had no real opposition putting pressure on them. Our slump in form could so easily have been avoided had we brought in an extra defender at the beginning of last season and played Philips much earlier. It would have meant our midfield could have stayed in midfield and Matip could well have been available for the second half of the season instead of rushing him back and him breaking down again.

City under any other manager but, Pep would be beatable as was proved under previous managers, but Pep is on the same level as Klopp, so, it takes something extraordinary to beat them as we managed in 19/20 and were so close the previous season. Pointswise we will probably end up in the mid eighties, but, would need to get back to our form in 18/19 -19/20 to win another league title.

Our transfer policy means we tend to be a transfer window too slow in signing players, Alison and VVD could both have been signed a window earlier, same with Konate Not signing these players earlier has probably cost us a CL (Alison 2018) and another PL title (Konate last season). That's the difference between us and City, when they need a player they'll invariably sign them, we tend to wait. We didn't replace Gini and now the transfer market is going to get even more difficult with United and Arsenal probably going after similar players as us and Newcastle United also beginning to flex their financial might.

I would love if Pep left City at the end of this season as it might open the door again for us to have a genuine chance of winning the title.

• Advertisement

Do you see City having the same implosion that Liverpool had after Christmas last year? I don’t.

Or, you could look at it another way, City were in a far worse position at this stage last year, and still won.

I have no doubt, city will win the league this year, but to me honest, with the lack of investment in the squad, I didn’t think we would win this year anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

But the gap is only 9, and we have a game in hand. Beating Chelsea is a step we need to take, then it's game on. 6 point gap, and we play City, plus all those tougher away games they have. We're getting stronger, not weaker like what happened last season. I'll be hoping Arsenal beat City in next game, and then City face Chelsea, and that's another game I see City dropping points in. Things could be very different in only 3 games time.

Fair point, but anything other than a win against Chelsea and I suspect even the most optimistic will be calling it for city.

Unfortunately I don’t share your optimism at the moment though, City are so good, and importantly so used to winning that I just don’t see them getting caught. I also think Liverpool will continue to frustratingly drop points when we should be winning matches. For years you’d be behind the couch watching the last 10 minutes of matches, we seem to be back there again.

I'm very much a glass half full man so there's no chance I believe this seasons title is gone but it's massively different set of circumstances between this season and last. They have a fully fit squad and a purring like a kitten when last season we were doing enough to get by but it was all hanging by a thread that eventually gave way in spectacular fashion.

All we can do is try win all our games and that includes away and Chelsea and City. Without winning those two there's no hope.

City are on a ten game winning run and the best thing about that is that these runs always end so you'd assume they're closer to that next defeat than they are away from it. Their longest unbeaten run is 18 I think, longest winning run is 14. We need it to end soon, if not Arsenal then hopefully Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think Ox will be needed for the HG quota, especially if Milner moves on. And even Nat Phillips too.

Jones will make the step up too, but there is a need for another HG player sometime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

There was a point on the RedmenTv pod where they said that City's opponents are effectively writing off the games against them at the moment, and just giving up the three points. That's probably overstating it a bit but that won't be the case closer to the end of the season when teams can't afford to surrender points.

Just reading back on the 18/19 season, we had a 7 point lead that year in Jan which got reeled in by City, so I'm not giving up all hope just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Another reason Bowen is probably being looked at is he fits the HG need.

After 19 game weeks last season City were top with 41 points, and we were 5th with 34..

And even if you’re just talking about the date (which seems a bit pointless since last season started so much later), this time last year City were just a point behind..

To add, it doesn't really matter what City do if we don't improve. Our longest unbeaten run this season is 10 league games, 6 wins 4 draws. Our longest unbroken winning run is 6. At some point we need to go unbeaten a lot longer than that and most if not all of them need to be wins.

• Advertisement
Advertisement