Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

I don't really buy this - the kerbside chargers exist primarily for full EVs, not for PHEVs. And I've seen the kerbside approach used in new build residential areas too, where overnight charging will be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If you have your own driveway and charge point you will rarely of ever be kerbside charging by necessity imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Then why do the kerbside chargers exist? It isn't so that people like me can get a sneaky 20km of range in.

Perhaps for people who don't have their own driveway ? It's rarely going to be worth your while in a full EV .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

The only problem here is somebody that has to charge kerb side on a one way street. With 300+ miles of range on these cars grabbing 20km is rarely worth your time plugging in and out. Either you are going to have plenty of charge or you will fast charge. Kerbside is there for first gen Leafs and people commuting to work in 100km range EV....or from what I have seen mostly nooby EV owners thinking you have to "eat at any oppertunity" or PHEV owners being scabby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Exactly that, or for the free or good parking spot, i.e. in Bray at the seaside or Dun Laoghaire at the east pier. Apart from that I never use those yokes. Any time anyone mentions the ancient motto "ABC - always be charging" I feel nauseous 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

In 2.5years of EV ownership I've never used a kerbside charger. Occasionally use AC chargers if they're free and I'm there for an hour or more. Besides that it's home charging or DC on motorways etc.. why bother plugging in and paying 3 times what you pay at home unless you're really stuck .

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Be interesting how the i4 compares to the tesla model 3 when they begin to land this year, its a pity that the numbers arriving will be limited, I had considered one recently but dealer couldn't even commit to a July delivery and no test drives yet

BMW does well against the king of the sub 100k traffic light drag racers. Seems the BMW has longer legs. Really though when it comes to performance EV's its all a bit irrelevant. Fast is fast enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Was surprised to see it beat it in the 1/4 mile to be honest, it’s clearly got the legs though once the speed gets up. In saying that the M3P does have a much higher top speed but does take forever to get there!

Fitz, when is your Taycan coming?

Taycan should be next week I hope, its in the country just needs to be regged and PDI;ed.

From what I can see the i4 and the model 3 are very similar and it comes down to price really. They seem to drive the same, both have good tech (although the tesla software is likely better), the interior of the i4 is a lot better but some might say the i4 look a bit gopping, but the tesla is not exactly a looker either? Its a toss up. Certainly BMW have a much better dealer network but telsa has a better charging network, but in Ireland being small if you can charge at home having a fast charger in the midlands/ on whatever motorway, is all you need to get almost anywhere.

So at the end of the day do you want to spend 15k more for the BMW? I probably would. Teslas are becoming a victim of their own popularity. But waiting a year for the i4 would drive me crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Before extras the model 3 performance is just under 72k on the Tesla website and the i4 m50 just over 78k so the price gap isn't huge.

I am surprised at how well the i4 compared. i expected the model 3 to be the quicker car. It would be interesting to put them on a handling track to see if the extra weight of the BMW is a significant impediment.

I hope Mat puts a m440i up against the i4m50 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭sk8board

The m440i wouldn’t even get close, simply because these drag races are won in the first second off the line and the big ICE engine runs out of runway to catch back up.

Post edited by sk8board on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Bit silly that he put that "modified" M3 in the race.

Every single M3 he has raced before has done 11.8 seconds in the quarter mile. Every single time.

Puts that yoke in and it's 12 seconds!!

Knowing Matt and the way he operates I'd say he knew that as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Different days, different conditions, different result. We’re arguing 0.2 of a second here. Both cars more than fast enough for public roads.

Absolutely. Right foot down for 2 seconds and it's bye bye licence!!

I’ve seen him interviewed where he said targeting Tesla in a drag video is huge for views and comments, and the Tesla supporters are the current iteration of the Nissan GTR and VW Golf R fans of the past 10-12 years :D

he was putting manual Golf R’s in drag races for years, driving everyone mad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

When did you order the Taycan if you don't mind me asking ? and any idea what lead time is if one was ordered now?

Beautiful and very tempting car but need a lot of (expensive) extras added as they surprisingly basic as standard, am I right ?

The worst thing about Tesla is tesla owners. More excuses than F1 drivers. I understand that they are excited about their new cars, but sometimes they lack admiration and respect for other cars.

I ordered in September so was really lucky to get a close allocation and props to my salesman. Order today and you will get one this time next year depending on model and spec. They dont need a lot of extras but its hard look past the options list. I went a bit crazy and put a load of extras on but you dont have to, but I had saved up a long time and wanted it exactly as I wanted it, and even then had to reign in a few things. It is the most configurable car Porsche make, and you can option and choose a lot of the small details. Its great fun.

• Advertisement

Harris was asked why he bought a polestar rather than ‘the better’ Tesla (around 2:00 mark) and he basically says the Tesla is the best ev and best charging network, but he was put off by the cult and online evangelicals :)

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CYKSzn1K1Vp/?utm_medium=copy_link

On the other hand the Tesla owner has had to put up with a lot of unfounded hate and "fake news" online put out by those with an interest in maintaining ICE cars on the road. It a function of the modern world and the echo chambers we all find for our interests. I feel the EV community is becoming fractured just like the ICE before. Tesla is not the only show in town anymore and their lead is getting smaller and smaller. Cars like thie i4 will really bridge the gap between ICE buyers and EV buyers because is just like choosing a engine class of old...want the diesel, the petrol, the EV...the fast one or the slower one...simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Best of luck with the Taycan Fitz. Did you stick with the spec you posted on the Taycan thread?

I need to get onto the BMW dealership next week when we’re out of holiday mode. Estimated delivery date for my i4 is getting close (just over 8 weeks), hopefully that’s still on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

They’re really going all out with the advertising on these, constantly seeing the ad over last few weeks on TV. Seems like a waste of money if supply is so limited.

It associates their brand as being fresh and forward-thinking.

it used to be “ultimate driving machine”.

tesla did the same with things like the cybertruck, but delivery had always been the issue.

so much of the Tesla brand is in the ‘association’ of what it stands for.

Enjoyed that vid. Wasn't expecting the Tesla pulling away faster during the flying start, the BMW has considerably more torque. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the Model 3 will get a slightly different map during one of the upcoming OTA software updates, to give it better acceleration past 100km/h (and then we will see someone do this drag race again with different results). They did that with the current Model S plaid. In the past, the car was only quick to 100km/h, everything exotic ICE even fairly modest stuff like an Audio R8 V10 would blast past it. Not anymore, it is now the quickest car in the world 0-300km/h (not that you'd use that much in real life 😂)

If the BMW is only €6k more, I'd say that is well priced. Should convince a lot of current BMW ICE owners to go EV. If only it was a hatchback, I would be keen myself...

While I do think there can be a "dickish" element of Tesla owner, most of the ones I've met at the superchargers have been sound.

And at the moment for me the supercharger network is still the big kicker for Tesla ownership.

I know this is a BMW thread so I will add that the front of the electric beemers are horrific!! Interior wise they are lovely (I still prefer the minimal Tesla interior) and the build quality is way beyond anything Tesla have put out.

Wife is thinking of changing her 840d for electric and it's between the E-tron or the Porsche. Unfortunately the public charging network is still useless and that's not changing any time soon.

If you rarely or never leave this island and don't do an awful lot of 300+ km daytrips, the charging network is not really that important

That's true however we spend a lot of time in Kerry over the summer. It's a 320km drive to our holiday home and then another 90 Kms to the mother in law's plus we do a fair bit of driving to visit in law's, out for dinner, day trips etc.

We don't have the option of a home charger so it's an extension lead out the back window and hope that the 22kw chargers are free if we're passing.

The birdhill supercharger is brilliant. Literally half way and we're stopping regardless. 20 minute stop and the car is almost full again!!

• Advertisement

Oh no Tesla owners in the flesh are fine, its only the internet ones are the muppets.

There are more ionity chargers in the republic than there are Tesla Superchargers, and IMHO they are better positioned. Add to that the ESB 150kw chargers and you have more than enough. The public charging network in ireland is actually pretty good, especially if you can use the 22kwh ESB units. These charging concerns are not real worries. It took me a while to relax into it. Download Zapmap and plan a few fictitious trips to see what's what. No matter where you go you close enough to a 50kw charger, and then you just charge enough to get you comfortably to a fast charger.

Here are the ionity

And here are the Fast (blue) and rapid (purple) chargers....When the car can go 400km on a 100% charge you are never really in trouble.

here is tesla.

Advertisement