Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Donald. Do you have enough non perishable food in Mar i Lago to keep you going for a few weeks or a month? Supplies are gonna be a big issue in January, and those that fill a shopping basket a few times weekly are gonna have problems

• Registered Users Posts: 24,163 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tribunals are held to get to the bottom of the reasons for certain events or conduct.

Why would you waste money on a Tribunal in Ireland into a global pandemic that is as plain as the nose on your face?

Yes, when it's all over, the public health sector need to closely examine lessons to be learned - after all its the first truly global pandemic in 100 years.

But a Tribunal would simply be a politically motivated exercise by the current opposition. Calls for one should be dismissed and then ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Taking a swipe at my username, stay classy. If I did this I'd be getting a warning, funny that isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It's more about readers getting hysterical. It looks like some posters here didn't get past by first paragraph usually.

Common signs are mentioning Tony ( with whatever surname fits ), RTE scaremongering, media scaremongering, everyone is scaremongering.

Did I forgot anymore scaremongering?

Some people just forgot how to read..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I don't get his figures or assumptions.

Just going back randomly to 36 days ago when we had 611 in hospital. Since then we have had 1519 admissions, 1583 discharges and currently have 568 in hospital. With 175 hospital deaths in that time frame, we should have 372 in hospital (611+1519-1583-175)

In the same time frame there has been 2268 positive cases detected in hospital so you would expect us to have 2640 in hospital instead of 568.

So obviously the detected cases in hospitals include some of the admissions to hospital (not all positive cases detected are just outbreaks or incidental cases) The 2268 detected cases over 36 days seems to increased the number in hospital from 372 to 568 (for every 12 detected cases in hospital, the number in hospital increases by 1)

I dunno, it's a mess to to figure out. Quite possibly people testing positive and not even being admitted? Arriving for something that may warrant an overnight stay, tested positive but instead of being admitted, they decide to treat you and send you home. I know the UK use a stat of positive people presenting to A&E that do not require an overnight stay. Could it be something like that?

• Advertisement

At what stage?

Pandemics take about 3 to 5 years to become endemic. That's not to say it'll be this serious for that whole time. Just as we saw last summer, it won't.

But despite all man's great devices, we do have 7.5 billion souls sharing a small planet so that time factor is unavoidable.

In the meantime, wishful thinking is just juvenile and at odds with the science.

Its not a swipe. MAR I LAGO is donald trump's home. How can you even think its a swipe? The only swiping is in response to your post contents. Please refrain from the victim complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

It is when you bring a posters username into it, I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Standard safety precaution.

Most vaccinations people are advised not to get if recent infection.

Would be difficult to ascertain adverse vaccine events versus post viral symptoms in some cases .

Also gives your immune system a chance to settle back to normal before hitting it again with something new , less risk of overstimulation / developing an extreme response .

I wonder if those who have had Omicron and recovered will be treated as boosted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I've only ever seen it mentioned in UK news regarding them talking about themselves. Never in relation to Ireland. Although the guy who said that has form with that sort of nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭corkie

Most people with the Omicron variant of the coronavirus are experiencing mild symptoms, according to a leading GP.

Dr Ray Walley, a member of the National Covid-19 GP Liaison Committee, urged for a focus on the need to isolate rather than on testing.

He called on the public not to contact GP surgeries in an effort to speed up access to PCR testing.

“If you have mild symptoms you shouldn’t be ringing your GP, use the (online booking) system yourself. There is information on the HSE website on what to do,” he told RTÉ radio’s News at One.

GPs wanted to keep their phone lines available for patients with severe illnesses and acute issues, he said.

Link Breaking News.

Are people still logging on at midnight to book PCR's, and is it still almost impossible to book a test?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

It's not nearly impossible , It is impossible!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,678 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

But not admitted due to covid, admitted with it. Know the difference.

Sorry Micky.

This guy drives me nuts with this .

Omicron cases are being picked up in patients who are being admitted for other reasons in hospital but also people admitted with symptoms like chest pain and breathing difficulties , who otherwise are not symptomatic.

It's not all those tested after admission as he implies .

In one of the replies below the post to someone who asks him how he gets to that number from the official figures, he admits that it is conjecture .

But he doesn't lead with any statement to say that he is only surmising from the official numbers.

Clickbait , not real evidence , no offence to anyone who likes his twittering.

I think you ought to check the difference for yourself.

If a person's underlying medical condition is triggered by them contracting Covid and they need hospitalisation because of that, then being admitted because of Covid, or being admitted with Covid, becomes essentially the same thing, i.e., the treatment of symptoms and the administration of oxygen.

Either way, its a person, in a bed, needing barrier nursing, from scarcer resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

@Heinrich Haeberlein yes, but not a problem per se, if not related to admission for covid, as they'd be admitting anyway?

@ChocolateIce Yep a local had same problem. But not "sick", 10 days isolation is too long.

Question - a mate has covid. Met me on Tuesday 21st in the local pub. Met family on 24th in a Dublin city hotel for brunch. Met in-laws 25th in their house. Took antigen to check before visiting parents - positive on 27th. Day later (28th), had cold symptoms. I've taken antigen yesterday, negative, no symptoms. Still grand today.

Where did they get it - in the pub with me on 21st or with family on 24th/25th? Bearing in mind, Omicron appears to have shorter incubation.

Nobody can definitively answer, I know. Just thoughts.

I think we're looking at maxed out testing in a lot of countries with high rates. There comes a point when country to country comparison isn't likely to tell you much. The needle on the gauge is past max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Tony is now providing his advices. He is definitely worried and it seems that we are back to January 2021.

The obsession with travel continues.

• Advertisement

@Wolf359f 109 . A lot of people regardless of what or how they have tested positive , to be cared for, kept isolated from nonCovid patients ,using resources and staff .

This is not a panicky post saying Omicron is causing large numbers of seriously disease, just a reminder that these large numbers are not sustainable if it continues like this .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It would be helpful to know if raw hospitalisations are up... or just the percentage testing positive.

Someone may present with secondary covid impact or it could be totally incidental. Need more data.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And he will advise the Government and the Government will take as severe as action as is necessary to reduce social interaction.

If not, the same people who persist with social interaction, despite everyone knowing the risks, will find no room at the Inn when they need it.

Wexford hospital ED is closed to Ambulances this evening. Expect that to be a growing phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

But if someone is admitted with a broken arm, sprained ankle, stroke, and they are found to have covid, then there is a huge difference.

At this stage in the game, that’s bound to happen with how rampant it is in the community. So now we are at the crossroads of separating those who go to hospital because of covid, or with it. That’s a massive difference.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is there a danger that the management and isolation of cases may cause more harm (in all its categories) than the direct effects of the virus itself? Time to recalibrate?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

yeah at this stage comparison of case numbers is redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The US have decided that it is causing more harm. We seriously need to rethink our isolation policies. Businesses are struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Agree. They are still rolling out the play book from March 2020. This will actually cause a loss of lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I completely understand that and obviously their initial treatment would be delayed/made more difficult if they happen to test positive etc...

There just seems to be people assuming a high % of people in hospital are there not for covid treatment, so it's all good seems to be the sentiment from some. I'm just questioning if the covid positive figure includes the actual covid admissions (being treated for/admitted for) and if there would be people tested in A&E, testing positive and rather than being admitted over night, are treated in A&E and sent home?

The Twitter guy just assumes all the positive cases detected are incidental, which doesn't tally up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Have you put yourself in voluntary level 5 seeing that you are deeply concerned? I’m guessIng you must have because if you haven’t i’d have to question your agenda for a nationwide lockdown.

Advertisement