Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The second tweet in a few days from Holohan trying to get retail shut down. He knows exactly what he is going. Just like the South Anne Street incidents.

Wouldn't bet on it until next Tuesday when RTE's news room re opens, the entire staff seem to be on holidays 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Given the unprecedented numbers of late, isn't it a sure thing that Holohan will recommend further, additional restrictions?

I just cannot see how Holohan wouldn't, given his track record at trying to prevent mass transmission.

Nothing will be said about the reduced severity of Omicron, of course, but let's leave that inconvenient fact to one side maybe?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I don't know. His message today seemed to be putting the responsibility on people more than usual

• Advertisement

Paradoxically, if Holohan were to advocate such a move, it would likely prolong the epidemic in Ireland rather than hasten its end.

Given the amazing transmissibility of this variant coupled with its (up to) 66% reduction in hospitalisation, Omicron should serve as a natural panacea that sees us emerge from the pandemic via herd immunity. This is what happened in the Spanish flu pandemic a century ago, when a far more transmissible but significantly less severe variant emerged that saw the end of the pandemic.

Mother nature has a way of finishing the job in a way that Tony Holohan could only dream of coming up with.

Let nature take its course, be cautious and sensible in the meantime, and eliminate all extant restrictions shortly thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭billyhead

The Brits have the right approach. Let it rip through society and achieve herd immunity. I'll probably be lambasted for this. But I always felt we would be a better country if ruled by the Brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm confused, people for ages wanted to be allowed some personal responsibility and now they have it, when they get reminded by the CMO to take personal responsibility they take it as the CMO wants a lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So do you think people would forget their personal responsibilities without another adult consistently reminding them via twitter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

People are ignoring him and carrying on with life, they have had enough of his chatter, and won't bother RSVPing the crowd in a pub or shop, I know I wouldn't assess the situation in a pub unless it was so bad that you couldn't get a fag paper between people, but I'd have done that in normal times anyway because I don't like a crowd and hate standing.

When he sees that he's being ignored, he'll just go crying to Mehole and have additional restrictions brought in that way.

Post edited by DLink on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s exactly what wants. He’s so unsophisticated and vacant that those kind of “measures” are all his ilk can dream up. He has ZERO other ideas like all other medicocrat pen pushers.

Not sure if CMO wants a lockdown but whatever is being considered, I've genuinely seen people being cautious, definitely a reduction of people out shopping and out and about generally over the past week and still these extraordinary numbers.

It's really hard to believe this variant only mentioned less than a month ago ,I may be mistaken but not even the original variants spread as quickly albeit back at the start of this it was a total lockdown which slowed original spread (i dread another lockdown but don't believeit will happen ), hospitality will get an extended kicking I suspect.

There seems to be an impression this surge will peak quickly, I'm just not sure , whispers already circulating school reopening will be delayed 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭brickster69

From the sound of that tweet i would be dropping everything and be rushing off straight down the pub now to know 5 or 6 pints into me ASAP.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

^ knock

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I think that's been his message for weeks now 🤔

And just one thing, why do news outlets - such as TheJournal.ie and others - resort to inserting his and NPHETs face into all article items related to COVID-19 cases and so forth; and it's always a worried look as if the Black Death is upon us.

In the UK, they never have daily close-up pictures of Professor Chris Witty and Sir Patrick Vallance.

They don't do it in Italy, Spain, France, Germany, and pretty much everywhere else.

Why is this significant?

Because if NPHET are reminded daily of their own sense of importance, almost more than the Taoiseach, it's of no surprise that we see these kinds of ego power-trips from Holohan and such like. People who have their face always in the media become addicted to it.

It's way too much.

If Michael Martin had any self-respect as Taoiseach, he'd do more to be seen as the man in control of the Irish response to the pandemic and restrictions and so forth, rather than allowing all the power and attention flow to an unelected, bloated body called NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MM can’t decide which jacks to use without sending it off to consultants for feedback to protect his own political neck, so don’t expect him to do anything without his NPHET crutch.

I agree but a lot of it is probably down to media laziness or perhaps they know the CMO's or indeed Philip Nolans face gets a reaction. It's long forgotten that for twice a week for almost 15 months NPHET's briefings got enormous coverage.

Gov tried to gag NPHET and that's abundantly clear, however Leo and MM realised they needed political cover for any decisions they ultimately made so within a week, the Leo, Tony & MM love triangle commenced. In essence they all need each other and it's a Farce in reality.

• Advertisement

Yes, at the expense of the citizen and their freedoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Well for a start, you'd think even if it's not required they'd wear masks anyway to lead the way.

Then again, these are the two of the biggest egoists involved in running the country - which is saying a lot, considering the egos of the ones who were actually elected.

One of them is a currently otherwise unemployed administrator whose complete incompetence and failure to grasp even basic common sense is largely responsible for the catastrophic official Irish response to date to Covid. The other is pretty much identical yet still somehow employed.

For sure, but when do NPHET provide graphs such as the below.

This graph, provided by the COVID-19 NHS Situation Report, shows the number of COVID-19 hospitalisations in the UK driven by actual COVID-19 infection. In other words, patients who arrive in hospital for other reasons, such as a heart attack, but who are found to be positive for the virus (perhaps because they were asymptomatic) are excluded. This graph only concerns patients admitted to hospital because of COVID-19 viral complications.

As we can see, this is going down (until Dec 21) - as Delta is being superseded by Omicron (Delta viral hospitalisations peaking just before Nov. 16).

In other words, 80% are incidental COVID-19 cases, matching the 75% figure we have seen with South Africa.

This is very encouraging news, and it's the kind of objective, scientific evidence that should inform whether extreme restrictions are required (clearly, restrictions at this stage are an over-reaction).

Yet NPHET are unwilling to even address factors such as the above, let alone provide similar graphs for the situation in Ireland as present.

Hey, that is the same as the one printed in the right wing, tory, brexiteer rag. 🤣🤣

- Camille Paglia

Looks to me 81% incidental cases. Denmark showing similar findings also, but hey lets all lockdown and ignore the real world data eh ?

Quite funny really, "we are waiting on the data" from Uk and Denmark and then when the data comes along just ignore it.

- Camille Paglia

Is that 80% in hospital or 80% admissions. You mention admissions but the chart is titled proportion of increase in inpatients. The title kinda reads that it's the proportion of the increase in daily hospital figures.

In the UK as of 22nd Dec:

A) 1213 admissions

B) 8246 in hospital

C) 8033 in hospital the previous day, so a daily increase of 213.

So my question is whats the 80/20% worked out of?

- Camille Paglia

I'm honestly asking as it's been commented on here it's on the admission figures and then the chart looks to be just the difference in daily hospital figures.

Of all hospitalisations throughout the UK, as of 24 December:

• 366 Omicron patients
    • Total Omicron deaths to date: 29

Now, on 27 December, it's:

• 407 Omicron patients
    • Total Omicron deaths to date: 39

On 29 December, it's 766 Omicron patients in hospital, out of a total of 8,200 patients in UK hospitals (9.3%).

Total Omicron deaths to date: 53

Divide the above figures by 13 to discover what Ireland-like figures might appear as.

Furthermore, the 53 patients who died are presumed to have had significant co-morbidities.

(note: the above figures are related to COVID-19 admissions / complications arising from Omicron disease - and not incidental findings).

Conclusion: the UK is not seeing a dramatic increase in Omicron hospitalisations due to viral disease.

I understand that this isn't the news that some would like to see, because they cling to the belief that Omicron would somehow invite the worst phase of the pandemic, but the facts are the facts - and these are the facts. Not only in the UK, but also replicated throughout South Africa and elsewhere.

In England (not the UK as a whole), only 20pc of so-called COVID-19 patient admissions is caused by viral complications.

The other 80pc are incidental findings, of patients who are presenting to the hospital with other conditions that have nothing to do with the virus.

So yes, we do often see graphs of hospitalisations increasing - as happens every time at this stage of the year. But it's simply disingenuous to associate that inevitable and unavoidable increase with Omicron COVID-19 admissions.

It's false, false, false!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Advertisement