Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30 years ago today Radio Luxembourg 208 closed

• 29-12-2021 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

This Day 1991- End of Radio Luxembourg’s regular transmissions on the famous 208 wavelength from where it had served the hits to Europe since 1951. The station continued via satellite and short wave for a year afterwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Great memories listening back in the day with a tiny radio in bed . The royal ruler Tony Prince among the regulars those were the days .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

People I heard on Radio Luxembourg include: Tony Prince, David "Kid" Jensen, Paul Burnett, Peter Powell, Bob Stewart, Dave Christian, Emperor Rosko, Stuart Henry, Bob Harris, Bob Aldiss and Benny Brown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Bolts from the past. Remember moving around the bedroom with the radio trying to get a reception in rural Co. Meath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The transmitter remained on the air until 31 December 2015. China Radio International bought a lot of the airtime. The mast was demolished in February 2016.

Just by coincidence tuning around earlier before I read this thread, I heard Radio 208 Copenhagen on 1440 kHz with a fair signal. Using only 500 watts. The Saudi transmitter which can usually be heard is apparently off air at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

Jesus I’m getting old .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Me too.... I was tuning a small transistor radio up the medium wave band one Sunday evening in 1976, to hear the Luxy chart, when I came across some pop music in a place where there shouldn't have been any. It turned out to be Radio Dublin and the anorak hobby/obsession took hold. It was a revolution to then be able to hear music on the radio without having to wait for darkness to fall when the great 208 rolled in over the static.

Luxembourg was still worth a listen though, the DJ on air skills were far above those found on the fledgling Dublin pirates and 208 was still state of the art radio at the time. For people of a certain vintage, it was a shock to learn that Luxembourg was actually a country and not just a radio station with a funny name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Showing your age, Declan; Bob Harris was on Luxey in the 70's while Barry (not Bob) died in 1982.

Ain't that the truth!!!!! I was away in the merchant navy & radio Luxemburg was a constant / great reception. By coincidence there was a song on radio the other day.....'blue Monday' by new order......at the end of song the dj says '35years since first released'......jeez

Advertisement