Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ivermectin discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

At least I provided a link to detailed information from a reliable source about the subject at hand.

I see nothing useful to anybody in your post.

Maybe consider providing some information that would be useful to the reader instead of your complaints.

you never seem to make a point but most posts are of the nature of ->

"here's an interesting long video" or something with absolutely no summary or point about it

the obvious assumption since you have done this so many times is that you actually haven't even gone through them yourself and that's why you can't make a summary or a point

I make points in the context of having understood something so I can actually make a point about it!

not even going to address the aspect of trying to pass off what is predominantly FLCCC shill horseshit as a "reliable source" 🤣🤣🤣

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

It is quite obvious from where the horseshit is coming in this thread.

Watch the video if you want to make some comment on its content, otherwise you have characterised your posts very well.

Didn't the author of the first main study that came to that conclusion recently admit the he was essentially bought off to change his findings?..He found it did have a significant positive effect. He changed the study thinking it would only delay the use of it by about 6 weeks..

Here's something about it..

https://www.thedesertreview.com/opinion/columnists/ivermectin-and-the-price-of-life/article_3e1a2e14-5c70-11ec-b6f4-2b146e98a0b5.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That's an opinion piece by a renowned anti vaxxer and ivermectin pusher.

Here's the author's own take on it.

The ivermectin debate is over for anyone with a genuine interest in helping sick people. It is now firmly in the realm of cranks and right wing lunatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ligind

Hill was bought off by a donation announced in January 2020 to change his conclusion in 2021. That's seriously impressive wizardry .

Hill retracted his meta analysis in July/August 2021 when it came to light some of the included studies were suspect/fraudulent.

His second meta analysis with those studies removed showed no benefit for ivm.

Post edited by ligind on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

The supply issue of the PRINCIPLE trial supply is no longer mentioned on the website. What happened there, who knows?

And they are on a break for new registrations until Jan 4th which indicates a lack of urgency in the work.

That is Hill covering his ass and complying with those who 'influenced' his paper.

For anyone who cares to see it, there is video evidence of such influence where he says that the conclusions of the paper were written by an outside source.

Part of the conversation is reproduced in that link ..... here it is in case you did not read it ....

#########

Andrew Hill admitted that his sponsors (UNITAID) pressured him to alter his conclusion. Hill explained, "I think I'm in a very sensitive position here."

Dr. Lawrie demanded to know the identity of the unknown UNITAID author who changed Dr. Hill's conclusions, the person whose influence was to cause so many preventable deaths.

"So who is it in UNITAID, then? Who is giving you opinions on your evidence?"

Hill answered, "Well, it’s just the people there. I don't..."

Dr. Lawrie pressed Hill, "Could you please give me a name of someone in UNITAID I could speak to, so that I can share my evidence and hope to try and persuade them to understand it?

Dr. Hill evaded, "Oh, I'll have to think about who to, to offer you with a name...But I mean this is very difficult because I'm, you know, I've got this role where I'm supposed to produce this paper and we're in a very difficult, delicate balance...Yeah, it’s a very strong lobby..."

The conversation concludes with Dr. Hill promising to do everything in his power to get Ivermectin approved if she could give him six more weeks.

Dr. Lawrie, "So, how long do you think the stalemate will go on for?"

Dr. Hill, "From my side. Okay...I think end of February, we will be there in six weeks."

Dr. Tess Lawrie, "How many people die every day?"

Dr. Andrew Hill, "Oh, sure. I mean, you know, 15,000 people a day."

Dr. Tess Lawrie, "Fifteen thousand people a day times six weeks...Because at this rate, all other countries are getting Ivermectin except the UK and the USA, because the UK and the USA and Europe are owned by the vaccine lobby."

Dr. Andrew Hill, "My goal is to get the drug approved and to do everything I can to get it approved so that it reaches the maximum..."

Post edited by PureIsle on

I expect they cannot because their two suppliers made public that they had no difficulty with supply.

Something else is behind it, not a lack of supply.

• Advertisement

Why is he complying? The world of research is a deathly boring place. If Ivermectin actually was useful, it would be a gamechanger. it isn't so it's not.

The truth ........ and the video evidence of it is available should you ever wish to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Videos , Videos , Videos...

I don't want to watch a video I was taught how to read in the early 1960s.

I read it. It's barely coherent but I struggled through it. And it's all bollocks.

Hill was (allegedly) talking to Tess Lawrie, another famous anti vax liar. He just happened to confess to fabricating data to the one woman who desperately wanted this evidence?? I mean, that's pretty convenient, right?

And that's the thing about ivermectin, it's the same people cropping up all the time. This allegedly global phenomenon that has saved millions of lives is being driven by about half a dozen very dodgy people.

Like I said, cranks and right wing lunatics. There is no science here, only nasty people with fncked up agendas.

The only truth is that ivermectin does not cure covid in anything apart from a petri dish. Bleach cures covid too but I don't see people guzzling the Domestos.

• Advertisement

The ivermectin grifters and shills don't have much of an application for coherent writing it seems and their audience respectively does not have the application of reading comprehension (and summarisation and basic writing either for that matter!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That's how you appeal to the ignorant and uneducated. First, scare them, then offer them a solution in patronising terms which they may understand, however hollow or grifting the solution may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭waxmoth

Ivermectin has well documented capabilities as an antiviral and to an extent an anti-inflammatory. It is one element of treatment which if used correctly is effective.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8203399/

https://covid19criticalcare.com/covid-19-protocols/math-plus-protocol/

The truth is our medical system is not constructed to use logic. Medicine is influenced to a significant extent by industry through lobbying and inducement at various levels. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/apce.12341

Dr Seamus O’Mahony, consultant gasteroenterologist, when being interviewed about his book ‘Can Modern Medicine be Cured’ …. "frontline workers, GPs, hospital doctors, who may not be carrying out any of the research, who just do what they're told in a way. I've drawn a parallel between modern medicine and medieval church: the higher level lay out dogma, the lower level work on the front line and implement it. They are not supposed to question any of it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some of that metadata analysis is based on dubious data and FLCCC have been pushing Ivermectin relentlessly for 2 years. Talk about dogma! As others have said if it was really that good we'd be be hugging each other at massive NYE parties. But it's not, disappointingly for all of us. Even more disappointingly some people just will not let it go.

• Advertisement

It appears to have a significant effect in countries where many ordinary people have worms. In those countries it seems useful in rich countries much less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭waxmoth

Ivermectin is just one part of the protocol and is much safer and more effective than Remdesivir. There is no financial incentive though, which is the difference, and only doctors with courage and a conscience will take on the system.

The worms narrative doesn’t appear to make sense – if anything they may be protective against uncontrolled immune activation.

https://theparasiteblog.wordpress.com/2013/12/16/helminths-for-health/

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Yagoob-Garedaghi/publication/345324998_Protection_of_Parasites_Against_COVID-19_and_Other_Viruses/links/5fa3ed3892851cc2869606da/Protection-of-Parasites-Against-COVID-19-and-Other-Viruses.pdf

Tess Lawrie has contacted the PRINCIPLE trial to try and extract an update from them.

Chris Butler may be too busy to respond as he is now looking at Merck's molnupiravir treatment under the PANORAMIC trial.

https://www.nihr.ac.uk/news/ground-breaking-covid-19-antiviral-treatment-trial-opens-to-recruitment/29515

I've smelt a big lab rat in Merck/MSD from the beginning.

You sound like a tinfoiler tbh

Other very cheap and off-patent drugs like fluvoxamine (an SSRI) have been reported very recently as having some benefit for Covid like in the Together trial

The very same Together trial found no evidence whatsoever showing any benefit in the case of Ivermectin

Why would there be a conspiracy against Ivermectin solely and not against other cheap drugs like fluvoxamine .... ? - that makes absolutely zero sense.

And Tess Lawrie - that proven anti-vax misinformation fruitcake has actual minus-level credibility.

She, and a fair few others it seems, have built up a hill to die on and just can't seem to back down on Ivermectin in the face of lack of proper evidence of benefit - it's just looking increasingly more pathetic (if that's even possible in her case)

Seeing as Remdesivir has been shown to have limited to no clinical benefit for COVID, that's no great praise.

It makes perfect sense - other drug manufacturers either don't have competing offerings on patent or they are not willing to engage in sharp corporate practice during a pandemic.

Tinfoil hat? One of the first things taught in business school is that a company's primary goal is to increase share value. Until you look at the actions of a company through that lens you will remain naive.

Lawrie's letter is perfectly reasonable and even cites Lawrence who has been highly critical of meta-analyses.

Nice complete avoidance of my headline point!

so it's a conspiracy against Ivermectin but not against fluvoxamine or Dexamethasone which are also cheap and off-patent drugs?

that is absolute tinfoil-hat level stuff

or maybe it's just simply that Dexamethasone and Fluvoxamine DO ACTUALLY DO HAVE A BENEFIT FOR COVID and have proven so in credible trials and Ivermectin does not

Yeah, even if there is some big conspiracy at the heart of modern medicine, none of that changes the fact that ivermectin doesn't work for Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2109.13739

Let the character assassination begin!

There is a letter to the editors of the American Journal of Therapeutics also here from the authors of the paper here also:

https://journals.lww.com/americantherapeutics/Fulltext/2021/10000/Bayesian_Hypothesis_Testing_and_Hierarchical.8.aspx

We are two years into this argument and still there is no solid evidence that Ivermectin can ever be used. At this stage ,apart from pointless battles in dusty forgotten parts of the interweb, science has moved on and we have actual antivirals that work for COVID and Ivermectin is at teh bottom of a very steep hill to convince anyone. If all the wasted energy that has gone into this had been channelled into better studies we'd have a far less muddy answer on this.

• Advertisement

Alternatively if Ivermectin had been allowed to be used by doctors in Western countries there would be no argument at all.

It would either have been proven to work or not.

Worst case is it would have been ineffective and done no harm.

The same could be said for hydroxycholoquine which was shown by NIH to have antiviral properties in 2005.

The real question that should be asked is why doctors have been prevented from treating their patients as they had previously been allowed to, but this only applied to some specific medications which have stellar safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They were allowed to be used in multiple trials that have shown it has no effect, it's an approved prescription medicine, the bar for getting it approved for other treatments is quite low and not that costly yet this hasn't been done and isn't even in the pipeline. Doctors don't just prescribe random medicines to people on the off chance it may work, that's not how medicine works (and funny that the IVM pushers that want to horse it into everyone are generally aghast at vaccines that have properly went through the approval process).

It’s all very ideological this argument. Neither side has much going on except as hominem and tribalism.

It's not ideological

There is no properly validated evidence that Ivermectin is of any benefit for preventing or treating Covid

In fact it's to the contrary

Recent large-scale and professionally run trials such as the Together trial which was specifically looking at repurposed medicines like Ivermectin for treatment of Covid showed it to have no benefit.

This trial had well over 1,000 participants

The same trial found did find that another repurposed cheap and off-patent SSRI drug called fluvoxamine to have a statistically significant benefit for Covid treatment.

If Ivermectin had produced a statistically significant benefit it would have been reported as same.

The researchers commented that Ivermectin is a drug that is useful for non-Covid applications and would maybe be useful in places where parasitic infections are common

Researchers have trialed everything from HIV treatments to diabetes drugs for potential repurposing, Mills said. Some, such as ivermectin, have wound up becoming political beyond the science that brought them up for consideration.

“In the beginning, there was a lot of scientific interest in (ivermectin),” Mills said, because in computer modelling, it showed “signals” the anti-parasite drug could be effective against the COVID virus.

The drug, however, “also indicates it works for Ebola and Zika (virus) and everything,” he added.

Mills’ group, however, conducted the largest trial to show that ivermectin is not an effective treatment for COVID alone.

Unfortunately, those promoting ivermectin as a treatment are doing so blindly, Mills said, while critics dismiss the treatment unscientifically as a “horse dewormer,” when it has plenty of uses in humans.

“It’s a fantastic drug for conditions like river blindness and parasitic infections,” Mills said.

And the reason he doesn’t believe ivermectin should be completely dismissed is because “we don’t understand the role of parasite co-infection during COVID,” Mills said, including places where there are a lot of parasitic infections that end up in the lungs of patients.

“If you’re genuinely treating those (parasite) infections, you probably are having an effect on the COVID outcomes,” Mills said.

All the scientific evidence backs one side.

So there's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭harrylittle

Why are doctors banned from prescribing ivermectin in ireland ? especially when it won the noble prize and classed as an escential medicine by the who .

The Japanese scientist Satoshi Omura has recently received the Nobel Prize in Physiology and Medicine for his discovery of ivermectin more than 30 years ago. Invermectin is best known for its extraordinarily broad spectrum of activity against nematodes, the roundworms that cause a large proportion of the most common neglected diseases on our planet. It is used to treat millions of people at risk of contracting devastating diseases, such as onchocerciasis and lymphatic filariasis, and also plays an important role in the control of intestinal helminth infections. Because of its excellent safety profile and broad spectrum of activity, ivermectin is catalogued by the World Health Organisation as an essential medicine and is regarded by many as a "magic bullet" for global health. The effectiveness of ivermectin against many diseases associated with poverty makes it a candidate to be one of the next breakthroughs in global health owing to its potential for improving quality of life and reducing mortality rates in low-income countries.However—and this is the catch—a “magic bullet” is of little use without a “magic gun”, and unfortunately ivermectin is not currently accessible to all the people in the world who need it.

There is not a big problem with river blindness or parasites in the water in Ireland.

That's why it's not really required here

It is available for prescription as a cream for Rosacea

https://www.medicines.ie/active-ingredients/ivermectin-24891/all/page-1/per-page-25

that doesnt explain why its banned . if there no parasite problem in ireland why are farm animals dosed every year with ivermectin.

• Advertisement

yes it's used in veterinary use

it's not "banned" - it's not available for prescription

the tablets for humans are not available for prescription in the republic because there is no unique human medical need here for it that isn't covered by other medicines

if you don't "get that" then I can't help you

did the other medicines win the nobile prize , when did invermectin get droped from presciption listing ? why is the HSE manning the ports / sorting offices to block ivermentin .. while every narcotic drug known to man can be found in every town in ireland

the what prize?

Nobile make great kitesurfing boards but don't do NOBEL prizes

(https://nobilekiteboarding.com/)

The scientist who discovered it won a Nobel prize - mainly because it improved the quality of many lives in third-world countries where they have a lot of river blindness disease

Basically it stopped a lot of toddlers in shithole countries from going blind

We don't have river blindness in Ireland

It's not needed in Ireland for humans except for a Rosacea cream.

(nd it doesn't do anything for Covid)

If you really want to get your hands on some go swallow a shot of Ivomec

That’s true now, it wasn’t clear for a year. Neither side is covered in glory.

That study is absolutely laughable. It's so bad I actually don't know where to begin.

More absolute nonsense from, once again, the same small group of "researchers". Flavio Cadegani and - surprise surprise - Pierre Kory strike again.

Nonsense.

• Advertisement

Well that really and truly debunked that study!

If you actually read it, you won't need me or anyone else to debunk it for you. It's absolutely bananas.

Even the most hardline conspiracy theorists should be utterly embarrassed by that "study".

The problem is that those who are pro-Ivermectin did not set out to get more data to support their case, they just kept shouting about how right they were or indulged in conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

With respect, I think it's a bit of a stretch to cast the "pro ivermectin" side as dumb conspiracy theorists and thickos and the "anti ivermectin" side as flawless truth-seekers or detached prognosticators in hindsight. There are emotional eejits and truth-seekers on both sides of the conversation, and there were plenty of people who saw ivermectin as an interesting prospect and were hopeful that the initial hypothesis of efficacy against Covid-19 would be born out.

It is undeniable (regardless of what you believe the motivation for it to have been) that there was something of a propaganda campaign against ivermectin during the mid stages of the pandemic, and reading through this thread you can see that many "anti ivermectin" people got their information solely from that campaign without doing a shred of additional research. "Horse paste" is a propaganda phrase that was transferred straight from the keyboards of propagandists into the minds of those who were predisposed to accept it. Some people still actually believe that there were gunshot wound victims backing up outside emergency departments in rural Oklahoma because so many people were quaffing enough livestock Ivermectin to land themselves in hospital; a story that remains as ludicrous on its face today as it was at the time it was reported.

So yeah. I don't think ivermectin is going to be proven effective against SARS2, but saying there was never any reason to think it was a possibility, or to suggest that anyone who was hopeful about the prospect or even kept an open mind about it stands in contrast to the infallible science angels on the other side, is some revisionist nonsense.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Those are your words and there are whole lot of words I never mentioned in my post. The drivers of it claimed that they were being prevented from getting it out it to people for a variety of somewhat dubious reasons, cheapness, Big Pharma blocking them, they knew better etc. Rightly so in my view given the lack of evidence of its efficacy with COVID. The answer to all of that was better data. Instead all we really saw was a carousel of studies quoting each other and once some of them proved to be weak, the case weakened considerably.

I am on the side of good trial data confirming one way or the other and like others who posted on this thread saw the merit of it being proved to be useful. But it never was and doubtful it will ever be now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement