Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

The funniest part is that the US has been in far more of a precarious position as a functioning democracy in the last few years as a result of both internal and external influence. Meanwhile Ireland is the polar opposite, we regularly get votes on issues that most countries only need to legislate for. (Do actually think the need for endless referendums can be a problem though)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Member when conspiracy theorists were claiming that the Nice and Lisbon treaties were going to be end of democracy....?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Maybe we're not "woke" enough to be trusted with the information. That term is the one that irritates me most about conspiracy theorists. They claim to be "awake" to allow themselves to swallow whatever nonsense suits their narrative as long as it goes against what's actually happening in the world. It's like they're living in some sort of parallel universe where paranoia and suspicion is the norm.

I actually feel sorry for them because long after the covid pandemic is over their paranoia will still be there until the next big event. It's the way conspiracy theories have worked for the last couple of hundred years.

It will be interesting to see what they glomb onto next as the big thing that will be the final part of the global take over.

Can't be pandemics anymore because it's doubtful anything will be bigger than covid for a couple of decades.

Can't go back to claiming school shootings are faked cause that's become embarrassing for them.

My guess is that they're going to start claiming various climate disasters are being faked.

I have a feeling he treats evidence like posters who he doesn't agree with...he ignores it. You won't get an answer from him because you're most likely on ignore.

• Advertisement

And 10000 posts.

Not one conspiracy theory presented.

Perfect example of how empty, dishonest and cowardly conspiracy thinking is.

Yeah I think it will either be climate change or something technology related such as 5G or the Internet of Things. They're already hinting at these things. They're easy for them to work with because the average person relies on expert opinions for their information on these subjects so it's easy to throw in little titbits of their own and twist things to make people question the experts. It's how all conspiracy theories work at the end of the day.

I think 5G has also already become a bit old hat and embarrassing.

But whatever the next big tech thing is will definately be part of the conspiracy.

It's definitely embarrassing for people who believe that biological particles can be transmitted by radio waves as is the case with those that believe 5G is responsible for covid19.

Big tech, big pharma or big anything and anything in between that they can't understand or are suspicious of are easy targets. I think you're right though, technology will be the next one. It's been the same since the introduction of electrification into people's homes

As Einstein said:

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

So there's no way of knowing how ridiculous the next one will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Has it ever crossed your mind that if all availed of the vaccines there would be no need for Covid passports in Ireland. If you really want to see them gone then should you not be encouraging that 7% who are refusing to avail of vaccines to do so ?

That 7% according to CSO stats for the 4 months August - November for hospitalisations accounted for : August 41%, September 38%, October 26.5% November 28%. Disproportional in relation to their percentage of the population by being 4 - 6 times greater.

For ICU, even worse. August 61%, September 60%, October 48%, November 54%. where they were disproportionally 7 - 8.5 times greater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

It’s pretty clear and obvious who they are in the post, do you need some help with reading it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Just back from Edinburgh, three and half hours on trains, everyone masked up and surprise surprise no one died, its like masks are not really that much of an inconvenience at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Except when they get fuzzy inside and tickle your nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I wear glasses for reading, can I sue someone because my glasses steam up? Feeling terribly oppressed so I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I wear them for driving as well. Bloody government and their restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The poster claimed it was the "Freemasonic global government" behind 9/11 and then pasted a link to some Covid conspiracy stuff.

That's clear and obvious to you?

Alright, I'll bite, who are they? (and be specific)

Pre-emptive disclaimer: Don't tell me to google it or "look it up", don't deflect or defer, if it's clear/obvious, you should be able to explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

My apologies, I got mixed up between posts, ignore my previous post.

Do you really think Ireland is a functioning democracy? During the last referendum all of the political parties came out on one side and one side's posters were regularly taken down. At least the US has different political parties. The US is a great hope for many people. States such as Texas and Florida, for example. Dave Rubin recently moved to Florida from California because life was unbearable in California. It will be interesting to see will lots of people from Europe, particularly from Ireland and England (to a lesser extent because that has a strong tradition of liberty that is similar to the one that exists in the US), emigrate to the US next year.

Unfortunately I still have to read your crap when I am skimming through posts.

• Advertisement

Do you expect the parties that are elected by the public to oppose in a referendum for the sake of it? That sounds like an awfully stupid idea....

Alternative summary: posters don't wish to discuss things with certain posters who seem to be unable to understand that no matter how many times they're ignored.

I suggest you read the first post of the thread, especially the following point made by brianhere:

"... the state has a record of never releasing back to the population rights that they seized during some panic"

And he gives many examples of temporary measures that were anything but.

I believe they should remain neutral.

Is it good for a democracy when posters are taken down and the media of a country is 100% biased against the opinions of a third of the population? It doesn't matter what camp you're in. That's irrelevant. Is it healthy for a democracy when a third of the population finds itself voiceless? Fringe or small parties aren't a voice.

And to get back to the thread, is it realistic to believe that vaccine passports especially are a temporary measure when billions has been spent on them? On rolling out the system. On updating apps. In many ways the following point by brianhere is perhaps the most salient of all the interesting points he made and examples of temporary measures that ended up being permanent that he highlighted:

"... they have invested so much money and time in changing the whole apparatus of society, in schools for example, and other places. Clearly these changes were not implemented in order to disappear in only a few weeks, they show the planning and expense of permanent measures."

Also, why do you think Doug Ford thought it necessary to say that he understood people's concerns about vaccine passports?

Ford “understands” concerns about vaccine passport as he assures Ontarians it’s temporary | News (dailyhive.com)

Why the need, in your opinion, to stress that vaccine passports are a temporary measure? Or is anyone and everyone who has concerns about vaccine passports a 'conspiracy theorist' in your view?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I read the first post, it's drivel. You just "pick" parts out of it to suit your fantasy stuff, while selectively ignoring all the mental stuff.

What's drivel about the following points:

"i) During the hype about TB in the 1950s the state introduced a voluntary scheme to control the disease in cattle. It involved those who had tested negative for the disease to be given a special tag and the farmer a 'herd number'. This voluntary scheme then evolved into the state controlling all aspects of agricultural activity by only allowing any such activity - even keeping a few hens - with the permission of the state, via compulsory herd numbers.

ii) Similar to this current panic, in the 1970s the state amended earlier WWII legislation to enable it to abolish jury trials. This was a great shock to the legal profession - even to the then President - and affront to the time honoured legal practices in Ireland but it was rushed through on the basis of sunset clauses whereby it would have to be renewed every year, and hence was temporary. Of course it is still with us long after the troubles have ended.

iii) After 9/11 and some hyped episodes like 'underwear bombers', this state and all around the world introduced time consuming and very intrusive security procedures particularly at airports. This of course is still with us long after the scare has died down."

Are they, or are they not, examples of temporary measures that ended up being anything but? Doesn't matter whether you like them as measures. That's not the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Unfortunately, underwear bombers, unlike a virus, don't become endemic and less dangerous.

So restrict the freedom of all political parties even though many of their members will end up legislating on the issues if the referendum passes....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,581 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Intimidation of juries unfortunately did not cease with the end of the troubles.

Anyone who knows the history of crime gangs in Ireland knows this, and understands why we still have the special criminal court and jury less trials.

Anyone who doesn't understand this is either thick, or somehow effected by it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Anyway, back to all Covid 19 measures being permanent and the plea not to be a boiling frog. Is anyone able to say in simple English why all Covid 19 measures will be permanent and why they believe this to be so. Considering we are in the conspiracy theory forum, what exactly is the conspiracy and who is behind it and why?

If you don't believe that all measures are permanent; then fair enough. What measures are here forever and why? Again what exactly is the conspiracy? Who is behind it and why?

• Advertisement

Nope. No conspiracy theorist is able to do this.

The fact it's been over 10000 posts without any conspiracy theorist even attempting it is proof of this.

They can't do it because there is no conspiracy theory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement