Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You wake up and It's January 2020

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

My earlier post on here advocated immediate travel shutdown, rapid testing and short term lockdowns until the lay of the land could be determined, so we are largely on the same page.

But, we saw massive push back against any advocacy of travel bans, lock downs, mask mandates etc. If you had done as you suggested here, I would hope that the impact of Covid in terms of infections, deaths and extended restrictions would have been lessened.

But, human nature being what it is, we'd probably have seen a massive negative reaction to even the short term restrictions and calls that it was vastly excessive and expensive. And as a consequence, you'd probably have been very nervous about calling for any sort of an election.

Given the projections that were being made in Ireland in March of 2020 about the potential infections and deaths, it could be argued that the government of the time did very well with what they had to keep overall deaths down and they did much of what we both are in agreement with (but maybe not as fast as they should have) and we've seen no shortage of detractors for how they performed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thanks for the reply - as for some of the good points you made:

The pushback against the travel restrictions were mainly from the golfers, horsie and rugby crowd early on - they should have been told to fcuk off for once in their lives. The next big - and I mean the big one, was to cancel the Santa Ponsa holliers - but again the horsie, golfie and rugger crowd insuring this were not told to cover the cancellations (travel insurance). Thus the shítstorm from September 2020 kicked off. We had done so well up to that point - even with a porous NI border.

Your third point - I wouldn't have called for an election in Summer 2020, or Summer 2021. And yes people are guilty of human nature and have complained about restrictions all along - but if the earlier options were adopted restrictions would have had a shorter shelf life.

Given the predictions, wildly wrong, but looking at CNN et all showing folk drop-dying on Chinese streets and one hospital near Milan it was hard not to be gravely concerned. But soon after the mist abated and still they stuck with the extreme outliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

You reckon? Brand new vaccines, some with new biotechnology and open them up to every two bit pharma startup in the world to have a go? Can you imagine the hysteria when there's a quality **** up and someone dies? Anti vaxxer wet dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Interesting point, but why seal the patent for 55 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

take over Madagascar,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Wasn't aware of that and definitely far too long. Something like two years would be appropriate imo.

Advertisement