Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dominos scam ?

Options
  • 23-12-2021 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

This message came to mobile number that is not monitored, not tied to any name or any app.

So... is this extension to scam that was back in 2020 on known messaging platform?

Comments

The amount of SMS spam at the moment is off the charts. Some of it legitimate spam, as in not a scam, much of it attempted scamming or phishing. My father has gotten obvious(to me) phishing messages, from the legitimate Bank of Ireland text number.

That is obviously not marketing spam, I don't know the motive, could be to just DoS someones phone. Or could be to build a list of working mobile numbers to use in some other attack.

Needless to say, don't text stop, just delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If in doubt always delete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Thanks folks, i am bind to DO NOT REPLY policy for such cases.

Putting out here for others to be aware not to fall into. As well to see how widespread it is. Since have received another with same number for optout. Just plain Xmas greetings - very kind :D

@[Deleted User] i leaning to think second more than first.

• That happens to be legit marketing on part of Dominoes using that platform, but you can stop getting spam.

Since I installed Norton on my iPhone, it filters the SMS txts very nicely and flags suspicious ones. Works perfectly for me anyway. Much better than junk mail filters.

One point though, it won’t allow you to navigate the Dark Web, which I do for research purposes.

• Advertisement

• Dominoes use these Groupon coupon promotions, texts one of their marketing methods. There’s no link to click there either. The worst that could have happened is you turn up to Dominoes Portmarnock and claim your cookies (before expiry) and they have you in the premises (or a delivery ordered) and your custom.

I think Groupon allow a limited number of voucher codes and they could say “sorry you’re 301st customer, we are only doing 300 code discounts. Don’t quote me on that though.

A dodgy phishing SMS will try to link you with a dodgy site. Other nuisance SMS txts will try and get you to enter some pretty hopeless or fake competition for next iPhone or shiny thing.

It’s really well worth getting software to cordon off dodgy texts. I’m no longer bothered by them at all.

Agreed, this is a legitimate text. other than it being possibly unsolicited, there's nothing wrong with it.

Perhaps i should say we not discussing pastries here, don't care about them . Its more about legitimacy or legality of this type of messages. Because as it appear, providing is "legit", i suppose to engage and pay(send txt) to disengage(stop) for what i didn't asked in the first place.

What you say could apply if i would be their customer or would have some app or called them to order. I think there is law( https://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/article29/items/623051) that should prevent this crap - this number not their customer, have not given that number to them under any circumstances, not called and not given consent of any type.

Would you allow that reply to unknown number could be start of engagement in preparation for further "engineering", not even necessary immediately and not even using "dominos"?

I could see three possible explanations, but not limited:

1. dominos using illegal tactics for marketing, sending SMS to random numbers. DPC should have finger out.
    2. some moron gave/enter this number by mistake or again, random
    3. scam

As said, number is not monitored - txt doesn't bother me(yet)

• All sorts of ways of using a bot text to send to selected batches of random numbers. The phone number is generated and not tied to your personal data, it just arrives on your and tons of other phones as a bloody nuisance. Now don’t ask me about the ins & outs of the legality of this, I reckon as it doesn’t breach GDPR by holding a data-set specific to you, it’s a grey area.

Your phone number is temporarily unique to you, but it doesn’t identify you specifically. Phone numbers get recycled by lack of use etc.

In this case I believe, for all the wrongs of it, Dominoes just want you to go to their outlet or website and start doing business with them in the form of ordering pizza.

just looking at Citizens Info this is what they have to say about the legality of it. Tried to paste here but getting Bad Gateway. you can Google it easily. Basically it states that if permission had been given by you somewhere in the last year, then it’s legal.

These times with the very irritating GDPR pop-ups where we all tend to click yes ok, and just try and get past various annoying “obstacles” just to move on through websites, it could at any point be easy to give consent without being very conscious of having done so. So many boxes to tick in our busy lives, easy just to tick them and get on with it. Not saying this is what happened here at all, but I’m saying about myself, I’m bound to have given such permissions during past year.

Whatever it is, it's not legitimate advertising. As I said, I'm not sure of the motive, most likely to enumerate active mobile numbers.

• Advertisement

@[Deleted User] I hear what you saying

The document i linked is exactly about consent, not just GDPR in general. Not solicitor, but what i understood - you cant shoot SMS at random, there are some criteria that might allow that, yes in <12 mth, etc., not in my case.

I wonder ... How odd it is for dominos specific outlet, in specific town, in specific district to send SMS to number, that is on SIM, that have never left the router that is located in other side of the country. See what i mean.

It perhaps would be to much to expect someone from Port, with extensive use of that branch services, to confirm if such promotional "pastries" messaging have had place around xmas. Or was i only one chosen, by "nigerian prince" 😏

So many boxes to tick in our busy lives, easy just to tick them and get on with it

Disagree with this attitude, if i would, i probably already would have sent "stop". Not about me.

Its intriguing, will i get greetings for New Year ? 😏

• Here’s just one example of the text message advertising platforms a business might employ.

Advertisement