Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split power at gate for other items- add light and WiFi unit

Options
  • 29-12-2021 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I have power at our gate which runs a sliding gate. A new cable was installed directly from our fuse board and has its own trip switch and an extra switch at the back door to turn power on or off (eg turn off the gate if needed).

The end of this 2 x 3 2.5 swa cable goes directly into the gate motor box and to its terminals.

Is it possible to change this so I can power an LED light at the gate and a small WiFi unit (normal TP link or other Wiif unit in waterproof box). The gate has bad WiFi and so when we drive up I want to join the WiFi and open the gate with my iPhone.

How easy is it to divert that cable into some sort of junction box and power all 3 - gate, light and WiFi box?

Yes I know that these will be different amp, voltage etc, so thinking what the solution to this is? Is there a junction box which can be added to distribute two parts: 1/ right power on to gate and then 2/ an extension lead for my light and WiFi? (Which will use normal 3 pin plugs)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Depending on how your cable is connected.

if it were rcd protected I would disconnect the cable at the gate end and connect it to an outside twin socket

id then use a plug and lead to feed your gates.

and another plug and lead to feed a waterproof enclosure with a twin socket inside that feeds your additional equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 35 housedweller

Thanks. The fuse board is labelled “RCBO gate” and the switch by the back door is fused.

Brilliant. Then it’s dedicated circuit with rcd protection . I’d do it the way I proposed so.

do you know what I need to buy?

• an outdoor twin socket, with extra USB port eg: Outdoor Box Wall Socket 13A Double Switched Outlet with USB Charging Port -https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08Z5W7JHK/
    • what cable/plug should I run between one of the new sockets and the gate motor?
    • plug TP Link Wi-Fi unit into second of the twin sockets
    • plug the gate Wi-Fi trigger into the USB port (it’s USB powered)
    • maybe for extra protection, all housed in waterproof casing on fence by gate, with lock.

missing anything?

thank you. Really appreciate the help on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Tom573

An outdoor socket may not work depending on what you're plugging into it. E.g. if that TP-Link has a power adapter plug, you won't be able to close the socket's water-resistant lid. Same for the USB.

Assuming that's the case, you can purchase a plastic box on Amazon to house an extension lead and plug things into it, designed for Christmas lights but works for anything. What I'd do is connect the existing SWA cable into an outdoor junction box, and then disconnect the plug of a standard extension lead, and connect the extension leads wire into that junction box. Then you can use a bit of 1.5mm 3-core flex to connect between the gates and then put a plug on it and plug it in. Or, connect that flex into the junction box. In regards to removing the plug of the extension lead, it goes back to the switched fuse spur so it'll be fused there.

Then you can put a plug on your LED lights and WiFi access point into that. Since you're going to have WiFi at the gate, you could use a smart plug to control the lights. Or you could add a photocell to the lights so they come on at night automatically, Knightsbridge do a good one that has a timer function so once it goes dark, it keeps the lights on for 2hrs, 4hrs, 6hrs etc.

But to answer your questions about that setup suggested by meercat, you don't seem to be missing anything. A simple plug with a 13amp fuse and a 1.5mm flex is all you need to connect the gates, 1.5mm is good for up to 16amps/1920w, and from what I can see, electric gates use around 700w when operating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I was in an Aldi today. They were selling off those waterproof boxes for Christmas lights. I'd never seen one before and was intrigued. And now I see it cropping up on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Tom573

They're very useful imo, I have them in use for garden spike GU10 lights, and I use them for christmas lights too. Used to have to put 2 bags around an extension reel, not the best solution!

Thanks to everyone- this is great. I hear you on the flaps for the sockets not closing tom573. I actually already have a grey waterproof box at the gate (I had tried to power the WiFi trigger for the gate using a solar panel, but unfortunately the area is too shaded by the neighbours trees and so it has been very unreliable over the last few months). I also have an outdoor extension cable here and can us that.

The gate spec says that the motor is: 230Vac (+10% -15%) 50/60Hz. Power 24V. According to the manual the max thrust of the gate is 515w.

So I’ll pick up an outdoor junction box. Thanks to all.

please excuse the artwork, but this is the plan based on the advice above. Any changes or comments!?

• Advertisement

Thanks- you think it is better to have two waterproof boxes?

the swa leads to a double socket in box 1

The cable from the gate motor leads to a 13a plug and on into the left power socket in box 1. The right hand socket in box 1 has an extension inside plugged in and leads out into box 2. All accessories go into that extension bar in box 2. Correct?

Swa direct into outside twin socket

there’s no need for an enclosure as this socket is designed to function in the rain

there’s a cover that protects moisture from ingresss even when there’s a plug inserted

use one of these outlet to feed your gates and the other outlets to feed a twin socket inside a waterproof enclosure. This socket doesn’t have to be waterproof. Use this socket for all your auxiliary equipment inside the enclosure

I’ll drop into the local store and pick one up today. And if the store only has an indoor twin socket, it could go in the same waterproof box with the auxiliary equipment as it’s quite big. Thank you!

Quick update to say all completed today and working great. Followed your diagram meercat, but managed to fit indoor 2 gang in the waterproof box, so all neatly in one container.

all tested and has been working well all day. With the Wi-Fi unit in the box, I can signal the gate to open or close from my iPhone or Apple Watch

thanks for all the help.

Glad you are sorted.

Advertisement