Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Funny, heard the programme. Never head a 'head cold' or 'dying' mentioned. Nor indeed 'not leaving your house' or 'looking at anyone'. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm sure tippman also heard the classic "hide under your bed" line aswell.

I haven't been as optimistic about COVID as I am right now. This time last year it was clear we were going into lockdown for half a year at least and wouldn't budge until most of the country was vaccinated.

But now everybody is double or treble vaccinated and/or has had COVID already. The fear factor is gone and people are no longer willing to sit at home for months.

Record levels of debt and inflation are also going to start making it impossible to keep borrowing billions.

We are finally reaching a stage where we are being forced to act responsibly.

I'm sure NPHET wont go without a fight but it's clear this is so mild now that we simply have to start acting like grown ups again

"Low could mean anything"? So you are saying that both '50' and '16,000' per day are both low. How does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Not an answer sorry.

One Problem is with folk (no doubt well meaning) cheering on more restrictions then the restrictions will keep on coming especially with no effective political opposition.

It worries me that folk are clear about wanting more restrictions but have apparently not given any (or very little) thought to when restrictions should be over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

funny enough tipp man, I was listening to morning Ireland - didn’t hear any talk of not leaving your house or looking at anyone

maybe you had some other radio station on?

still early so maybe you dreamed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

“Low” is subjective as you appear to be saying and making my point. Besides cases numbers to which you are presumably referring is not the metric I believe should be used.

For the avoidance of doubt 50 cases, hospitalisations or even deaths should mean no restrictions in the context of a population the size of Ireland.

Why are some people finding it hard to say when the restrictions should end? That worries me.

I don’t think I am an extremist - I just remember what normal life felt like and wouldn’t mind it back again unless the hospitals are actually in danger of being overwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Wife had it last month then had symptoms the other day again which confirmed her 2nd lash of covid in a month -never heard the like of it

trying to figure this out 2 scenarios maybe theres more who the hell knows

scenario 1 -still showing positive from last month

scenario 2 -had delta now omicron

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

I usually check the indo and IT website for the news every morning.

I cannot remember the last time the independent had barely a mention of covid on their first ten or so headlines. And this a day after the record case numbers.

Subjective maybe, but not the impossible judgement call you appear to be suggesting. The problem with your idea of having a specific number is that you might come out of restrictions on a Tuesday when you hit the number, but have to go back into restrictions the following day if the number goes up slightly above the target. Silly vista obviously but strictly speaking it's the silly spectrum you jump on by deciding in advance what's 'low'.

Can you imagine the obsession with the number on here?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I work with a guy who had Covid twice in about a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

If she has developed symptoms it’s very likely to be the latter, the former wouldn’t cause the onset of initial COVID symptoms again, a month later.

ya thats probably it shes gone from delta to omicron in a month.has a pretty bad cough atm

Depends how you spin it, another interpretation is hospitality is restricted because case numbers are going up and the restrictions have dampened the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

If anybody wants to get an insight into the world Holohan and other health experts inhabit read this article

BBC Blogs - Adam Curtis - THE VEGETABLES OF TRUTH

Whereas the utopia of equality contains a wealth of substantial and positive goals of social change, the utopia of the risk society remains peculiarly negative and defensive. Basically, one is no longer concerned with attaining something ‘good’, but rather with preventing the worst.

And again, the symbiosis between declining beliefs in anything beyond the physical world we inhabit and an ageing of the population who are now in power.

I think the truth probably is that it was the baby boomers losing their youth - and finding themselves unable to face the fact of their own mortality - they started to project their fears onto the rest of society. But somehow people like Beck transformed this into a grand pessimistic ideology.

We are scared shitless of death and the hospital numbers is just a new excuse/reason to hide behind. 18 months ago it was the 'deadly' disease and then when it turned out that it was well below 1% and the most infirm who were at most risk from Covid, the soundings changed to managing our hospital capacity.

Contrast the reaction of those first respondents to the Chernoybl disaster with the cowards who are consigning their future generations to indebtedness and potentially a whole host of other negative social effects as they twitch vigorously behind their curtain

''I want to put up part of an extraordinary documentary made during the events of 1986 that dramatically shows just how different our attitudes to risk used to be. It is the record of the group of Soviet technologists who volunteered to go into the ruined reactor core at Chernobyl after the disaster.

It is extraordinary because they all knew they would die. Their protection against the radiation - as you see in the film - was minimal. It consisted of taping up their cuffs and trouser legs and not much else. But they went in because it was the only way to find out how to contain the disaster.

It is so moving because they are men from an older world. To them risk is irrelevant. They believe in something grander - bigger than their own lives. There is also the most fantastic remote controlled camera - it is mounted on a toy tank and its images are great.''

Post edited by completedit on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I know someone who tested positive in early November, now positive again. Mild symptoms both times, this time it's more in the head and throat. Splitting sinus headache apparently; four in one household who got it over Xmas all have that symptom.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hospitals at 619 this morning, a jump of 51 on yesterday and up over 240 since Christmas Day. That's also the first time over 600 since 24 November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Oh for God’s sake, you got in a huge huff when someone mentioned Donald Trump rallies a few days ago, citing personal remarks, talk about insufferable. How pompous.

This is the sort of level headed thinking we need. If we simply ignore it and pretend it’s not there it will eventually go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭bloopy

I am not sure there is a point.

Judging by what is going on over on Reddit, and with some of the posters here, this whole thing has evolved into a competition on who is the best at tolerating and following restrictions.

As more and more people break aeay in the real world, this competition becomes more extreme in the online world.

It is become some sort of strange morality game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We need to know more on the nature of these hospitalizations. Are they people who tested positive after admission or are there from COVID illness initially. We know the variant is rampant

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, this is going to bite the HSE in the arse now if they can't distinguish Covid admissions from incidental positives.

And by that I mean "people who were admitted because of Covid-like symptoms and tested positive". That's all that matters now. I'm aware that every positive requires isolation, but that's not the statistic that's important.

If other countries are showing low hospitalisation rates and we start posting high hospitalisation numbers just because we can't tell how many infections are hospital-acquired then that's just a complete clownshow.

Why do you “need to know”? I mean how is it any of your concern, realistically?

It has been explained a hundred times over the past few days, Covid cases in hospital settings soak up resources, time, space. It’s irrelevant if the case is “incidental” or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Unfortunately, I was forced into having dinner with the in laws last night....

All of them in nice comfortable public sector jobs.....All of them with this phony fake type of "worry" when huge case numbers are released just in time for the 6 one bulletin......"oh god sure isnt it awful....terrible numbers......can you pass me the turkey there please"

All of them looking for a lockdown...not a fùck do they care about anyone outside of their own bubble....

im developing ulcers from holding my tongue....

A final thought, when anyone hears of someone getting covid now...no one is actually worried about that persons health, we ALL know theyll be grand....we all just keep carrying on in this type of charade.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

I know why people want to know this but essentially it doesnt matter its putting more and more strain on the health service in that all thise patients now need isolation more cleaning etc etc

Covid positive is covid positi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Well yes we do need to know as we need to know the severity of the illness.

Advertisement