Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Matrix Resurrections (with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,785 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

One person who was hugely influential in the original films was absent in the new film. Yuen Woo-Ping the legendary choreographer.

The first film is essentially a science fiction kung fu film and the Wachowskis left him develop most of the fight scenes as action wasnt their forte.

A good video on his influence here

Woo Ping was replaced by David Leitch and Chad Stahelski on the new film and there is a huge drop in the quality of the action scenes.

Yuen Woo-Ping isnt really a fan of shaky cam

There's an American style that believes if you shake the camera so it's hard to see the fight, it's more exciting.

What is your reaction to that style?

I think that style comes from American studios' emphasis on coverage and leaving "options" in post. Typically this is also done with three or more cameras which means the fight is diluted because not all the cameras can be in the optimal position. I think that shaky camera style can be a storytelling device like in Saving Private Ryan, but it should not be used to hide poor performance or choreography.

Stahelski directed the 3 John Wick films which are completely over the top and unrealistic, they are almost like a cartoon.

I think himself and Leitch were the wrong choice for the Matrix 4, the resultant action scenes are very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Its hardly a falsity to infer the process of cloning can be defined as using DNA or flesh samples to forge a new instance of that person. Since that person is already long dead , it doesn't really matter if you call them a clone or a resurrection or whatever. The main issue is that they are artificial recreations of themselves.

Furthermore , the clone / genetically engineered Trinity wasn't shown being built in the movie. Its unknown how or why the Machines even had her remains. And whose to say that only skeletal bones is all that was left of her remains. People are filling in the dots for themselves to disprove the reality that Neo and Trinity weren't real.

Its a similar scenario in Alien 4 where boffins used Ripley's DNA to bring her back to life. She too was a clone in that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

An absolute mess of a film. Utterly pointless, adds nothing to the story, neo seems to be stuck in John wick mode, his delivery is appalling. Fight scenes are nothing like we saw in the iconic first film they seemed really sloppy, the cgi is like something from the original trilogy 20 years ago. The inclusion of Morpheus character was again absolutely pointless.

Saying all this though, part of me loved the angle they took, the nostalgia and fan lip service.

I really hope they don't put out a sequel to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

.... its only a movie dude.

And not a great one at that. It doesn't require such in depth analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I fkn hate when people say that. Its only a movie.... So why are you here and why did you pass comment? You challenged the cloning aspect of the film and now you want to bow out because you think a very simple observation is "in depth analysis".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I respect Lana's disinterest in action, it's not every director's reason they get out of bed ... but this is a Matrix movie; the bar was set high and even with the presence of John Wick alumni the action was messy and half àssed. Say what you will about the Wick franchise but it frames and centres the fights, rarely cutting except out of necessity. I liked the story of Resurrections - and do think this will be the thing that pivots viewers back towards it in time - but Wachowski should have wrapped it in a better package. It's what she and her sister did with the original that made it so iconic in the first place. She set her own bar.

Agree about the "bombs": that was a deeply disturbing sequence but again, kinda half baked and thrown out in the style of your modern blockbuster; where the meaning and implication of what's happening isn't surfaced enough. Even the original movies' tended to make the takeovers seem more painful, impactful. Nothing excessively, but enough to make it stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Wanna know the truth?

Because I think you are mental with your cloning aspect. Seeing stuff beyond what the film deliberately stated and showed. I tried to be polite and say hey look its just a movie who cares. But no. That wasn't good enough for you.

So have at it. I'm not gonna be dragged in to a good ol fashion "after hours" style "argument" - so if you think clones, then fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I havent seen it yet .i dont want to read detailed reviews to avoid spoilers. I think the angryjoe on youtube review is very interesting. He says it has some good parts some bad parts. He thinks its an average action film. I.m glad they moved away from the blue green look. From the trailers it now uses a wide range of natural colours

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a deeply flawed film: the best comparison here is an author, famous for a specific series of books, finally returns to their most lauded work - but doesn't write what fans wanted / expected. Shades of Harper Lee and her followup to To Kill a Mocking Bird, sorta. The film isn't perfect by any stretch but there's enough interesting aspects and segues to make it worth talking about. And that's like hens teeth these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

This is interesting - makes a lot of sense.

In the movie itself, they show clips from the first film and the fights looked totally different - very visually distinctive and memorable - something I can't say from the new film.

I think it was a mistake for them to include the old clips in the film at all - the original film is so iconic and using the clips just highlights how bland the new film is. I know another film/tv show did something similar in the last year or so where they included old clips in the new story and it really didn't work at all - it's bugging me that I can't remember what it was though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I have just gone to the movie and in one word is was average. It is not the movie I come out of the cinema saying I have just wasted my money and time. I still do not know the plot for the movie it had none to me only to introduce the Matrix to people. Its greatest weakness is it overuse of the first movie. Don't get me wrong the I know kung fu bit was great. That is why I think this movie is not the start of a new series of movies in the Matrix it is more like a bridging movie to catch people up before the next chapter is in and Neo and Trinity will be mentioned or maybe seen at some bits but it will be a new story. Overall I say 6.5 I give it

I do kind of agree with you but I believe its main problem is to try and be too much like the first movie rather then while referencing it going its own way. I mean making him a games creator and the original 3 games was a bit much. As I have said I feel this movie is a stand along or as I called it a bridging movie just for the nostalgia and get people to know it again before it might expand the matrix universe for want of a better word.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

Just finished watching it about 90 seconds ago.

Im angry.

The Wachowskis have defecated all over their own creation.

The original was a masterpiece. The have trampled on my youth and ruined my Thursday.

All jesting aside.

Fucking garbage. The two of them have lost their marbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

And how dare they use a cover of Rage Against The Machine by the same bird who pissed all over a lads face at a concert.

Small point of correction but Lily Wachowski was not involved in this production at any point. So while you may feel annoyed, only one of the sister actually deserves that ire 🙂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good to know we can blame people who have absolutely nothing to do with a project for any perceived shortcomings. Always knew deep down that bloody Frank Sinatra was to blame for Ocean’s 12 *shakes fist*

I guess we can blame George Lucas for Rise of Skywalker? Harold Ramis for Ghostbusters 2016? 🙄😆

Really not pushed with the trinity can fly everyone out of the matrix seemed to be able to do what Neo could do anyway with the fighting extra as you can hack the matrix so why not fly. Also what is so wrong with James Bond getting help from a woman ain't the first and will not be the last

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Just to note I’ve deleted two posts for personal abuse and transphobic comments (user in question has also received a forum ban). We won’t tolerate either in this forum. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Seen this again today with a friend who really wanted to see it. I’m convinced now that this isn’t actually a Matrix sequel, but rather a spiritual successor to Sense8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

Watched this the other day. What a mess. The last 10 minutes is old man neo in boring CGI pointing his palms at everything and force pushing it away. Then Trinity can suddenly fly. What The ****. An interesting concept with the recycling of the original movies in neos memory etc as his game. But some of it way too meta. Disappointing 3/10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I listened to the geekbox podcast every week, they spent 10 minutes talking about this film. Spoilers Ahead

They mostly do not like it. It's bland, the action scenes , are not filmed in a way that's great or even up to the standard of the 1st film its full of spoilers don't listen to it until you have seen the film. They are big Science fiction fans. I won't be in hurry to see this film as I think I'll be disappointed as I love the first film

They say one of the new actors in it quite good. It reminds me of the Pc game half life 1 and 2 . I don't think valve will ever make a half life 3 as it could never live up to the reputation or the impact of the first one the least I'd expect of Any matrix film is the action fight scenes would be well directed and not just another Sci fí action film. But then I don't think there's been a terminator film that's even as one tenth as good as Terminator 2 .

Just in case the moment in the movie wasn't a big enough lampshade, recent interviews have revealed that yes indeed: Warners had intent to move ahead with a new Matrix movie, with or without the Wachowskis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Arrest George Lucas now.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

It’s a complete rehash of the first film just 100times worse in every way.

Absolutely boring and derivative - for the portion that I forced myself to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Watched it last night. For context, The Matrix is one of my top movies of all time. Definitely my most watched movie. I'm a fanboy. 2 was good, 3 was flawed but had good elements to it. This.... this was disappointing.

The plot isn't necessarily bad, I kinda like the direction they took with it, that Neo and Trinity were essentially experimented on to continue tuning the algorithm of the Matrix. I like the time shift with the new world where some machines have sided with the humans. I liked the relatively simple story of find Neo, save Neo, third act rescue mission for Trinity. It's just the execution felt all wrong. It dragged in places. Bringing Smith and Morpheus back felt like unnecessary fanservice that distracted from rather than added to the movie. The meta stuff was overdone. The whole super-bullet-time thing was neither visually impressive nor interesting as a plot device. Then there's the action. It was pathetic. No drama or impact to it, nothing thrilling, it was hard to see what was going on in places. The originals put so much thought in to the action set pieces this felt like the equivalent of watching an under 6 soccer match with the kids all chasing the ball. It felt so slapper together.

Aimed high was executed so poorly. 2/5 for me. Worst of the franchise. Hope new creatives are brought in to breath life in to it.

The look of the film is one of the main things I took away from watching. The others had their colour tinge, this one (to me) was shot to be uncanny. Colours were a bit too bright, things don't quite move how you expect but you're not sure why.

The first comparison I thought of was the just below triple-A video game style. Brighter colours, more lighting effects, but it just doesn't quite look right. The more it goes on the more I felt it was all deep down at the bottom of the uncanny valley. But it was all done and done deliberately, it wasn't just a "that'll do" decision for time.

I can kinda, sorta, almost understand when people who were kids get annoyed when something messes with and ruins the franchise they remember. In this case The Matrix is in my top 5 films of all time and if this was a sequel to it I'd probably be a bit annoyed. But after the 2 horrendous sequels that were already made (probably the last time in my life I was ever excited for anything) fucked with the original so much that I don't understand why anyone would take offence to this film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

Didn’t feel like a matrix film at all. Felt like a fan film a 17 year old would make on YouTube.

Advertisement