Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose Of Tralee now accepting trans applicants (Threadbanned List in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You're right. The vast vast majority of Irish people wont care and wont be bothered.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Dancers aren't hooked up because of sexual attraction.

The woman and man could both be gay, but still dance together.

Sexual attraction is irrelevant, yet it has been crowbarred into the debate as if it were relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I know a lot of people claim that (lesbians being forced to sleep with people with male genitals), that's for sure!

I know no one in real life (lesbian or trans) that are being forced to or force themselves on sexual partners.

You therefore are saying you fully believe this, i.e this is not tounge in cheek:

'Well, it won't be long before some NGO will launch a campaign about how heterosexual men won't accept transwoman as their sexual partners.'

Aye no bother..in Daily mail Twitter land maybe, but most of us live in the real world.

Post edited by km991148 on

Exactly! Just like on this thread!

Is sexual attraction relevant in the rose? Is it about beauty or perving over young* (and now older married) girls?

It has been ridiculously crowbarred into this debate by people on your side of the debate opposed to change who suggest that the ROT is a beauty display for heterosexual males.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Apparently according to some here the only point of the ROT is about having a display for heterosexual males to drool over.

On the one hand they claim the whole point of it all is about sexual attraction. On the other they claim its irrelevant. It really does show up the arguments here for what they are. Ridiculous incoherent drivel.

Terry Pratchet

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Why are you having a go at him then instead of the person who actually crowbarred it into the debate?

That’s right, the person who did so has the same opinions of trans people that you have, so you decide to deflect onto other people instead.

Vintage eskimo. So predictable at this stage.

It's all very confusing really. I guess that's what happens when you outsource your opinions entirely to outrage rags and twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

"leaked email" into "claims" that "some" is not the stunning evidence you seem to believe it is.

But as a by the by it is quite common for "some" heterosexual men to claim any women who don't want to go out with them are lesbians. Does this mean it is widespread? Are all heterosexual men guilty of this? Is this "sexual racism"?

Are lesbians who refuse to shag women who are married to men also "sexual racists" - I ask as that happens a lot. Many the lesbian I have heard say there is no way they would consider a woman who is married to a man as a sexual partner as it's a "head wreck".

What about Gay Men who wouldn't consider a not full on butch manly man as a partner? Are they "sexual racists"?

Thing is as a lesbian of many decades experience, who has been active in the Gay community for four decades I have yet to meet one person who has claimed they were personally accused of "sexual racism". I do know quite a few people who have claimed it happened to someone they know/heard about but funnily enough the details are always vague.

I also know a fair number of gay and straight people who gasp are in happy relationships with transgender people.

Sadly, I also know some people who are not happy their spouse transitioned but insist on remaining in the relationship and tbh it's tragic for all involved.

I have also encountered people of all races, genders, sexual orientations etc etc who take rejection really really badly - but so far they have all been cis. Which is not to say there are not transgender people who spit out the dummy when turned down (they are only human after all), just that I haven't encountered one having a tantrum about it yet.

Funnily enough my adult son was telling me he was recently asked out by a transgender woman and politely declined. He said she took it well - far better than any cis woman he turned down ever did. He has also been asked out by Gay men - he also politely declined their approaches. Is my son a "sexual racist" for being (inexplicably imho) attracted to a particular type? Should he reconsider the tall, extremely femme, women he has previously rejected? Because that's the rub. Hairy straight biker dude likes short stroppy women who can take care of themselves, aren't overly feminine, or interested in fashion/make-up, are competent gamers, and fully up to date on the various lores of Dr Who/MCU/Star Trek/Star Wars etc etc. That rules out most transgender women. And a hell of a lot of straight women. He's fussy.

As for "sexual racism" as a term - what the blue bloody blazes does "racism" have to do with gender? Nothing.

But here you are trying to conflate it with claims of actual racism - rejecting a partner due to their ethnicity. A claim that the amazing wise in the ways of the Irish Gay Community straight members of boards have rejected soundly in another thread.

Although I disagree with those posters and say there is racism in the Irish Gay Community, and yes there are people who wouldn't even consider someone of another race as a sexual partner - but as vile as that may be it's their loss and no-one has the right to tell anyone else who they can be attracted to. The concept of consenting adults means all the adults must consent. Even the bigots. I have refused to go out with women I know to be racist as I find bigotry a complete turn-off - does that make me the "sexual racist" now?

"fervent activists" who are fervent about whatever it is they are fervent about shout discrimination about everything. Including men's rights activists, lesbian separatists, racial supremacists, religious zealots etc etc. It is all dangerous. But not as dangerous as trying to claim these "fervent activists" (who may exist only in the fevered fervent imaginations of a few equally but opposing view fervent activists) represent the entirety of a group of people.

Fervent activists claim fervent activists of group they dislike are being fervently active.

• Advertisement

Would that were true.

Some cis heterosexual men can't take a hint even when she is standing there in a gay bar with cropped hair, in full leather, wearing a I'm a Diesel Dyke t-shirt snogging the face off another woman. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Funny how the BBC, hardly a hotbed of anti modern social outlooks, would run a story like this then?

There is some really fooked up thinking out there now.

And no I am not talking about trans people wanting to live as a different gender, but trans people demanding that they be treated the same as people born to their desired gender.

Trans people can live as whatever gender they want, whatever makes them happy, but they simply aren't the same no matter how many contortions some try and introduce into the debate.

Hell you had one of our resident modern right on thinkers earlier in the thread say a woman is a woman or something to the same degree.

Facts are facts, adding breasts, taking female hormones, removing a penis does not make someone the exact same as a born XX chromosome female.

Likewise taking male hormones, removing breasts, adding a penis does not turn someone into the same as a born XY chromosome male.

This trying to rewrite science, anatomy, physiology is evident in a few areas, all to make certain people feel included.

It has been very obvious in womens sport where a long time high profile lesbian athlete was hounded out of her position because she stated the scientifically proven facts that transwomen born and raised as males would be physically superior to born and raised females.

As for the Rose of Tralee, I am surprised it has lasted this long.

I am not allowed discuss …

Ah sure you just haven't found the right man to show you how it's done properly, right? 🙄

Yeah you're right fervent activists against everything trans always shout fervently

Terry Pratchet

Perhaps you should dig deeper into where the BBC stands on the "issue" of transgender rights before trying to use them as an unbiased source.

Seems the BBC made a biased boo boo "The BBC has been forced to edit an article condemned as transphobic after a woman quoted in the piece described trans women as “vile, weak and disgusting” and it emerged she had previously been accused of sexual misconduct." oops we say. But the BBC then doubled down on it's bias even when their star witness was proven to be guilty of what she accused other people of doing.

Bastion of liberal modern thinking is it?

Seems those on the inside disagree

Hahaha @ the BBC being claimed as a hotbed of liberals supporting trans rights. Yeah no. More drivel.

That original article had to be edited because it quoted a rapist who also made violent threats to lynch trans women.

The BBC now has a reputation for its transphobia

https://www.starobserver.com.au/news/bbcs-lgbt-staff-are-quitting-over-transphobic-work-environment/206961

Terry Pratchet

The reason the gay rights movement was so successful is that is was rooted in facts and motivated by persuasion and debate - to change the opposition over time and to explain why they are wrong to dislike gay people.

The trans rights activists movement, in contrast, is about intimidation and silencing voices. People, particularly women, are being terrified and bullied into believing things that the facts don't represent. That's why there's this constant tension between the two.

And when you don't have facts to persuade the other side, is it a surprise that certain activists resort to intimidation, silencing, and bullying tactics - "believe this, or else"?

When The Guardian - who infamously edited Judith Butler to remove where she discussed links between (fervent activists) on the Gender Critical side of the issue with the Far-Right after it was published, and published an article on the murder of Sarah Everard where the author shoehorned in unsubstantiated claims that trans women pose a danger to cis women is highlighting transphobia in the BBC you know it's bad.

You are literally quoting an article that has been demonstrably shown to be full of lies and heavily quotes someone who intimidates and bullies to prove that trans people intimidate and bully people...

Besides.. motivated by persuasion and debate... what nonsense. Gay rights should never have been a debate. Trans people usually start one rung lower where their very existence is a debate (as has been shown many times on this thread).

Why?

• Advertisement

Intimidation and bullying? The BBC platformed an extreme violent transphobe who has been convicted of sexual assault in their vile piece of hateful transphobic trash

Terry Pratchet

The rest of the article remains true and valid.

If the BBC wrote a report on the state of farming in the UK, and one of the farmers mentioned in the report was found to have committed crimes against animals, that wouldn't be an argument against the validity of the report, it would be an argument against a criminal.

Says a lot that you agree with hateful transphobic propaganda.

Terry Pratchet

Nobody is intimidating anyone and not, 'in particular ' women.

No one is terrified or bullied.

Lol @eskimohunt - The BBC published a vile piece of transphobic hate propaganda. It platformed a woman who made violent threats to lynch trans women. Of course trans women will criticise the BBC for its crap editorial decisions when they platform women who threaten them with murder ffs.

Terry Pratchet

I just love when people try and tell me my lived experience as a gay rights activist since 1981 here in Ireland and in the UK was something completely different to how it actually was while using the very same language homophobes used against us then to attack transgender people now.

I know who stood alongside us. And I know who called us abominations and bullies. I hear the same words being used against my allies by people who were always my enemies but now like to pretend they were there with us all along.

I was one of the motley crew of butch dykes, twinks, drag queens, transgender women and men, Leathermen, Rubber Queens, Greenham Lesbians who were beaten, battered - and for thousands of us left to die alone during the AIDS crises, legally excluded by Ireland's criminalisation of homosexuality and the UK's Section 28. The people who shouted, protested, argued, and absolutely refused to stay quiet in the closet.

We cheered the dykes who invaded the BBC . We were arrested and beaten by the police and Gardaí. We sent gay men and lesbians to NY to protest over the exclusion from the Patricks Day parade - and they were arrested. We protested the suspended sentences handed down to the murderers of Declan Flynn. We funded taking the Republic of Ireland to the European Court of Human Rights.

I am one of the It's A Sin generation and I was there.

Our equality wasn't won by having a reasoned discussion with facts and debate - it was won with the blood, sweat, tears, deaths from AIDS, murder, and suicide of the people who refused to act as something they were not.

And alongside us all the way were our Trans sisters and brothers. While the passing straight acting "respectable" folk told us to stop rocking the boat and be nice little unthreatening gays good for a shut that door are you being served ooh err missus carry on camping night at the forum titter on the telly.

Get away with your pathetic attempt to re-write history.

You don't have the right to deny my lived experience of being queer bashed, spat on while with my young son, bailing friends out of jail after the police decided to get violent at peaceful protests, being called an abomination by family members, being told by the Chief Rabbi at the Holocaust Memorial in Whitehall that the "queers deserved it", holding the hands of young men I don't know so they don't die alone - all to suit your ideological agenda.

I know who the bullies are here.

It's those who steal other people's history to justify their vitriol.

It's those who dislike who we are so try and force us to live as who we are not.

Sorry, but you don't get to parade as a homosexual who is better than other homosexuals. That somehow you have all the right opinions, that your mind is totally closed on the topic, and that the rest of us should just go away and be swiftly and conveniently dismissed with some -ism or -phobia.

I'm a homosexual and I'm absolutely against self-ID, in favour of trans rights as long as it doesn't infringe on other people's rights, and I'm gender critical (insofar as I don't believe gender even exists). Like so many of my gay friends, they all agree with me (though wouldn't dare say so publicly due to the bullying backlash and abuse they'll receive). There is no exception I can think of, and that tells you quite a lot about how many people feel silenced about saying what they really believe.

So spare us the stories about how you are somehow more right or better than other homosexuals who disagree with you.

You're framing this as "all gays and all trans" versus "homophobes and transphobes".

It's totally disingenuous, and it betrays the real difference of opinion that actually exists on these subjects. And let's please not forget that many trans people agree with me, too, and not your interpretation of the debate.

Gosh, another "homosexual" - a term most gay people haven't applied to themselves in decades. Next you will be telling me you are an "Invert".

And apparently you don't believe in gender unless someone claims they are not the gender you think they are.

I am not "framing" anything - I am saying you are talking complete and utter bovine manure when you state equality was achieved by debate and facts. You, on the other hand, are so busy framing you should get a job in the national gallery.

Nowhere did I claim all "homosexuals" do or do not support anything or anyone. Only the fervently active are delusional enough to believe they speak for an entire community.

In fact I stated the opposite - I made it very clear that even during the fight for decriminalization (never mind equality) there were many "homosexuals" who wanted us noisy rabble to shut up and go away. Just like there were a few "homosexuals" who were absolutely against Marriage Equality.

The difference between us is I was there during the time you claim we were all having lovely chats about "please Sir, can you please stop persecuting us if we promise to be nice homosexuals?" and you patiently were not. And you got called out on your pathetic attempt to re-write history to suit your agenda.

And I know a lot of gender critical people - funnily enough none of them were around during the actual fight for rights either. And like you they get mighty defensive when those who personed the metaphorical barricades point that fact out. Like you they like to bang on about what they insist is the history but when called out by actual participants try and dismiss this living testimony.

Post edited by Bannasidhe on

Bannasidhe is entirely correct though. Transphobes use the same old arguments that were trotted out in the 70s and 80s against gay rights. The real disingenuous part is claiming to stand for gay rights nowadays when you use all the 70s/80s homophobia slightly reworded into todays transphobic arguments. And she didnt frame "all gays and all trans" as having a hive mind at all.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Instead of addressing the points they've made, you fall back on "as a homosexual" to justify your atrocious views... She went through lived experience and the kind of events that are well documented. Far more than you have ever done as you cite some vague experiences that often sound suspect.

Advertisement