Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Its well established that people who share even a bed dont always get it from infected people pure spoof mate

• Registered Users Posts: 20,350 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don’t know if there's research but it'll be hard to compare. The vaccines and boosters reduce the infectious period. So it's a moving target. As more people get boosters the less time they will be infectious when they get the virus.

The vaccine might be the biggest factor in reducing the infectious period.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I was thanking my lucky stars that I got my vaccine, my dose was very very mild but without it, it could have been nasty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And yet I've been in a room for hours with a couple of someones who got a positive 24hrs later and I didn't? Neither did another person. I currently know one household of five who got it last week and two are still negative on antigen and had a negative PCR.

As for the R0 value, measles is pretty much the most transmissable infection out there. It has an R0 of between 14 and 18 depending on the source measuring it. The common cold is around 5. Chickenpox around 11-14.

Please show me a credible source, not some "doctor on newstalk" either, that claims omicron gets within an asses roar of the R0 of measles. Any credible source I've read has it at between 3-5. That's a bit off even the lowest level R0 of measles. So on current credible data I'm calling bollocks on that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

From talking to people at work, neighbors, friends, ive just realized. There are more people I know who have covid at the moment than I know who havent got it.

FCUK!

• Advertisement

On the subject. While it may change with more data I've yet to see any solid evidence Omicron is intrinsically more transmissible than Delta.

It's rapid growth can be put down to its ability to spread among those with prior immunity and it's extremely short incubation time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Could be alright. There's an awful lot of bollocks in the media out there. "Omicron is as infectious as measles!!" being one. Another is "viruses mutate to being less deadly!!". They don't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Was over at my sister's yesterday for the bones of 8 hours, she has just got a positive antigen test...so let's she how contagious this sh!t is have an antigen test going now and will do another tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Ah there is history of some viruses that do mutate to become less lethal/more contagious, but it's certainly not the rule of viruses progression

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Australia reported 21,330 cases,11k the previous day. Hospitalisation rate is up and continuing to increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭amandstu

There are ongoing Christmas lectures on the BBC (4 and 2) just now.

(an audience of children and a cast of scientific speakers)

They also mentioned the transmissibity of measles as being around 15.

Very informative,recommended and now recorded.

Aimed at the willing to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

What does 'intrinsically more transmissible' even mean?

Omicron is here 2 years after a novel virus emerged. The fact that it bypasses immunity from vaccines or prior infection means it is much more transmissible than any variant after the first wave.

If it wasn't for the reduced severity due to vaccination/prior exposure then the virus would likely be every bit as deadly as the first wave

Omicron is an argument for more vaccines and fewer lockdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

It’s very transmissible. My nephew went to a Xmas dinner in his girlfriends. Came home next day unwell thought it was a hangover. His parents had been doing antigen tests every day previous to this getting negative including Xmas day (deal with public so being careful). Today, they now all have positive antigen tests. No sickness for them at all thankfully. So 26th meet him for first time in a few days, today the 30th, all positive for covid.

Name one CP. Seriously, it's not even close to being a thing among viruses. Smallpox was with us for over two thousand years. Didn't get any less lethal. Same for polio. Rabies, pretty much 100% fatal and with us for three thousand years. Measles didn't get any less nasty, if anything one could argue it got slightly worse. HIV has been with us for over forty years and doesn't show any sign of getting less dangerous. Ebola looks to have gotten worse and it was no sniffle to start with. Even the "average" seasonal flu still kills roughly the same percentage of people every year and if it does mutate away from the average it's more likely to be towards lethality. The second wave variant of the 1918 flu was much worse than the first.

Another problem is looking to past pre vaccines and modern medicine pandemics. The viruses appeared to get less deadly over time. They don't. What happens is they burn through the population with no immunity and you're left with the recovered who have some immunity and the dead who are, well, dead. It runs out of hosts. The virus stayed the same. If it found another population with no immunity it would burn through them in just the same way.

All a virus "cares about" is reproduction. That's it. Lethality is a coin toss. This is even more so the case with a virus that exhibits asymptomatic spread before people get obviously unwell. It's already jumped to a new host so doesn't "care" about the previous. There's little selection pressure for it to not kill the sick host. If anything the selection pressure is to keep reproducing in that sick host trying to avoid the immune system. Those poor buggers who have died in hospital with this pox were in most cases weeks past when they infected others.

Yet for some reason, wishful thinking I suppose, it's become quite the mantra among people and sections of the media, even doctors(almost certainly not epidemiologists) coming out with this about covid when a microphone is in their face. We got very lucky with Omicron. On top of vaccines and better therapies for the sick of course. It could have become more infectious and more deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Good news, lads. There's some new nphet modeling been released. Everybody loves nphet models

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dublenguy

I would not wish sickness on anyone, does look like they have dodged a bullet here. However hopefully when this is behind us, I will let them know they are gobshites.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

Two things concern me about Omicron (and future variants)

• It appears the people can catch both Delta and Omicron. Dr John Campbell shows a graph where the Y axis is a percent, which illustrates the proportion of Omicron is increasing. He (I believe incorrectly) attributes this to Omicron displacing Delta. What if its just the case that there are now simply much more cases of Omicron? Delta could be decreasing, even if it is, because people with Omicron are isolating so with less social interaction, can't catch it. So in January, we end up with two, parallel coronaviruses to contend with, that happily sit side by side. Consider future variants that also do not displace existing ones because they are almost a new strain. How many are we going to end up with?
    • There is no guarantee that the next variant will be milder than Omicron (Wibbs post above). With the massive spread of Omicron we are likely to get a new variant sooner, and the next one could be much worse. Disease X.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And the next one could be always be much milder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Czech population is 10.7m, twice ours. Deaths there today are 35 which is per capita 5.5 times ours. And that's only with 6,145 cases. The government isn't testing enough and people won't spend an enormous amount on private PCR tests. Slovakia today has 44 deaths, 14 times our current rate. Poland has 709 deaths, 31.5 times our death rate. Hungary 32 times. Lack of vaccination there a disaster, and hugely under-estimated cases disguising the real problem.

All this is proof that the vaccines are working and we're testing heavily. Both of which make me very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

It certainly could be.

However, when does it ever stop mutating? We have a cold-like disease that can be deadly or make people very sick, that keeps mutating and evading immunity. In 10 years, there could be 10-20 different versions of this all running in parallel, some worse than others.

You might be okay after catching the first five versions, and the sixth one may kill you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yeah I was saying this here the other day. Some version of this virus could take out a good chunk of us yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Yes, I have several examples from relatives and pals in shared households where it's not spreading to everyone. Anecdotal only I know but this seems to be borne out by medical reporting. And throughout the pandemic I've never known more than two pals here to have Covid at the same time. Currently at least 11 pals/their family members are infected and all of them were taking precautions.

One woman had only gone out once in the past 8 days to have a booster shot and picked it up. I've been to the odd gig, movie and pub/restaurant in the last few months but am giving it a break for a few weeks. Feeling pretty positive about how it's going though, wee may be at the beginning of the end.

Think you misunderstand me. I was referring to transmissibility as an inherent property of the virus itself. (I.e. not accounting for prior immunity or differences in incubation time). Seen some fairly outlandish estimates of the R0 over the last few weeks. Not seen much evidence to support them. May change as we learn more though.

Not disputing Omicron is spreading extremely rapidly. That can be put down to a combination of being able to spread in those with prior immunity (greater pool of susceptible people) and a much shorter generation time (able to move between them quicker).

There is no guarantee that the next variant will be milder than Omicron (Wibbs post above). With the massive spread of Omicron we are likely to get a new variant sooner, and the next one could be much worse. Disease X.

Sure, however there's also this part: What happens is they burn through the population with no immunity and you're left with the recovered who have some immunity and the dead who are, well, dead.

That was before vaccines too. So with each variant that comes along and especially with this current seemingly more infectious one, more people catch it, more people may die, but many many more people will recover and the recovered have some immunity. Now I'm talking about immune memory immunity, not antibodies, but IMHO there's a bloody obsession with antibodies and keeping them high. If we keep trying to push for constantly high levels of antibodies we'll be dosing people every six months with boosters forever. It's not workable. Never mind in the developing world where a large percentage haven't even got one vaccination yet. With a majority vaccinated population like Ireland with some boosters on top and community infection and recovery for the vast majority of people(which was always the case BTW) the longer this goes on the less dangerous it'll likely become. Not that the virus itself will get any less dangerous to a completely virgin population, but to a population that has a large amount of acquired immunity from vaccination and recovery.

For the elderly and the immunocompromised , the chronically sick who can't afford to catch it, then damned right boost them. They were and remain by far the most likely to be seriously ill and to die from this virus, so are the greasy wheels that need the oil. If you took people under 60 and people without underlying conditions(and the terribly unlucky) out of the equation we would likely not even noticed covid beyond a "bug going around".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭amandstu

That was an unfortunate post ,giving the impression of wishing ill of others but on a purely linguistic point the word would be something of a mirror image of schadenfreude.

Rather than pleasure in others' pain it is annoyance at others' good fortune

Can anyone set that to German?

Freudenschade??

😏

It could. And I certain hope its milder. But it might not be. Imagine the scenario if Omicron was as transmissable as it is but as harmful as Delta (or more harmful) then we'd be back towards lockdown restrictions.

We can hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sure we might die in car crashes or from air pollution or cancer, who knows?

Confelicity is the opposite to schadenfreude

My absolute favourite word since I heard about it.

Susie Dent 💙 (@susie_dent) Tweeted:

Confelicity: a much-underused word meaning delight in someone else's happiness; the opposite of Schadenfreude. https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/919471913491206144?s=20

• Advertisement

Speculating again without a shred of evidence or even a reference to someone educated in such matters that thinks what you think 🤔.

Advertisement