Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Did anyone who moved to eir on apple tv lose there tv service before the new box was sent out? Switched today told me on the phone evison box will work untill apple one arrives but tv has just gone on me,tech support said it's to do with the switch and they can't do anything untill new box comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bugsyb4

I noticed another thing Eir the sneaky f**kers have done to try make you away from Eir vision box.

If you are recording a programme and still recording and you want to try play from beginning it won't let you. Have to wait until recording has finished. Won't happen too often but still annoying, won't make me switch all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I’m getting away from Eir on Friday after three years. It was a good experience and I made friends with the local Eir engineer and the two times I needed help I was able to get it within an hour. I’m switching to Vodafone as I hate the Apple box option.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Suffering Jbox

Can you tell us more about what is wrong with it - apart from being able to record rte and virgin meda?

Recording is my major issue. Followed by €50 a month for Vodafone for TV Broadband and landline for a year. In the meantime SIRO have confirmed they can connect the nine apartments where I live with FTTH and as I’m on the management committee I know it’ll take months for us to lay in ducting through the garden so I’ll be ready in 12 months to change to fibre.

• Advertisement

Update …………….. Vodafone installer arrived on time with my new equipment but (you knew there’d be a but) immediately he spotted a problem. My tv is on the other side of the room from the modem 🙄 so as it needs a hardwire connection we need wire to run around the room. I tell him nobody told me this at point of sale. The installer explains that he has wireless connections in the van and he rings his boss to see if he can use it. Boss says no, wireless connection is only for second room installation. Installer explains that the wireless would do away with the problem and will work perfectly but boss won’t allow it.

so he leaves and I call Vodafone and cancel the contract. They didn’t care at all, so I guess I’m not the first. I then call Eir who matched the Vodafone price and signed back up for twelve months. Unbelievable stupid decision by Vodafone contractor (CIRCET) so they lose a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yoursister

HI, I recently got my apple TV box from eir but cant find the now tv app in app store? anyone else have this problem? doesnt show up when i search for it.

Annoying, was hoping to be able to use it for sport

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Are you on the Irish App Store? Check your Apple ID, if you’re using the same one on an iPhone/iPad and might have changed it.

Its just called “Now” these days although “Now TV” in a search should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ant_oco

Has anyone had any experience running the eir tv app on an Android TV?

I am an eir tv subscriber with the app running fine on the provided Apple TV box. I also use it on my Android phone and an Android tablet occasionally. I am thinking of getting an additional TV for the house and was considering an Android smart TV so I'd like to use the eir tv app on that rather than having to get a second Apple TV also.

I don't see the app listed on the Play Store for Android TV, but I would have thought it could be sideloaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Eir customer service has improved dramatically, thankfully, however they never informed me that the eirvision box was being phased out. I had problems for about a week, blamed my connection, my modem, the memory in the eirvision box etc....before resorting to phoning them knowing it would be a painful and lengthy exchange.

It wasn't lengthy but the helpful lady explained the phaseout and that I could "upgrade" to the apple tv box.

Its brutal !!!!

That's all I can say..................its no upgrade. You cannot record in the way you used to, or do many other things. Its channel guide layout is ridiculously small and bizarrely laid out. its clunky to use and the remote works differently depending on which app you are using, AND it doesnt have a simple "back" button.

I will be rejecting it now and cancelling my BB, TV & phone.

Do yourself a favour and go elsewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

I've been using it for couple weeks and haven't found it too bad, the menu button works as the back button, Apart from not been able to record some channels what are the many others things that you haven't been able to do?

Well I’d decided to move to Vodafone but it’s not a wireless installation ! So I’m staying with Eir for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

No, I had a service right up until I physically changed the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 done123

We have had Eir TV on apple 4K Tv since its launch in 2019, it has improved over time, been now allowed to record all channel except RTE/Virgin media channels. Virgin media player Is now available on apple TV since start of December 2021. Having all the player like Netflix, Disney, Now and prime Video in one place is very handy and lot cheaper than Sky TV Subscriptions. I am Glad to hear that customer services have improved since it was the poorest element of Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Howdy Folks, currently with Sky for broadband and TV. I have the 1gig speed and basic tv. My discounts ran out this month and the new cost is ridiculous. No real haggling with Sky these days it seems. I am very tempted to switch to eir tv plus and broadband for 49.99 a month on a 12 month contract. Down care about sports that much and recording is not essential.

So looking for an up to date opinion if this is a good move.

I was with eir about 8 years ago and had a terrible time moving away form them and even had to invoice comreg. Have things improved? Are they still similar?

Broadband speed is 100megs (notguranteed). Its a house that have two folks working at home full time with three teenagers on devices and xbox etc. is this bandwidth enough? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

If you currently have 1 gig then you should be able to get that on another provider. Its possible if Eir aren't offering it you are currently on the SIRO network in which case Vodafone offer 1 Gig broadband + TV packages that may be another option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭piplip87

We have a similar set up. Except we have about 80Mps download speed.

Eir TV: We got it because it was only a tenner extra, we set it up in the sitting room, after about a week or so we seen that Sky where doing a deal on TV only so we went for that. If you want basic TV and all the streaming services then go for it. Of you want any other services which I can't mention here there is no way to sideload. I use the Eir TV upstairs now and for a tenner it's grand for herself watching the soaps or me watching sport. When it comes to TV SKY is the best of them all for channel selection, recordings, on demand and the fact it does not use bandwidth due to this dish is a massive help.

The Internet: First thing you may do is get a Google Nest WIFI router and an access point as the Eir Equipment is absolutely useless. We where with Vodafone perviously and I could cloud game using stadia very well upstairs with Eir however that became impossible. There was blind spots after our switch that we didn't have before. I have the Google Router and two access points which has improved things massively.

We have two people working from home, two Xboxes, myself using Stadia to play games and an IPTV subscription here and we rarely have a problem.

Agree that Sky is brilliant when it comes to TV. The only person that watches it is the wife. Everyone else its Netflix or Disney Plus. I appreciate it doesn't use the bandwidth as well.

Sky have offered me 50 euros a month broadband and 40 euros for TV. 90 euros a month were I was paying 60. Not great I think. I am very tempted to look at EIR. thanks for your post, it was very helpful.

howdy, yeah Vodafone is an option I had it before but I hated their TV so if it came to the push I would just opt for the broadband. Having the SIRO is brilliant, but if I thought Id get away with 100megs I'd go with that swell. My past experiences with Eir have me reluctant. But I can't ignore the value of their package...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NewClareman

The eir package, including tv, is pretty good value. The ability to add additional apps to the AppleTV box, makes many options available.

Now, if only they would sort out my billing. After a number of hours calling them, mostly waiting to be answered, I'm almost ready to jump ship. I thought they'd sorted out their customer service, but maybe not...

• Advertisement

I rang the switcher number yesterday. 8 minutes into the call waiting for it to be answered I said nah. This is not good. I checked not eh Eir set what speed Id get at my house and it said 12mb. I have a SIRO line into the house. As much as Id love a new 4k Apple TV box to mess around with and a bill of only 49 euros maybe Im dodging a bullet here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 HMS Erebus

So are RTÉ and Virgin the only channels that can't be recorded, I was set up to switch back in the Summer and there was an issue with BBC so I backed out - is this no longer the case? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

BBC recording is now working on the Apple TV 4K box. I held off upgrading to the new eir TV box until BBC allowed recording. Since BBC iPlayer is not allowed in Ireland, the lack of recording would have been a deal-breaker for me, if it hadn't been sorted. I don't care about lack of RTE recording, as I already use the RTE player instead of recording. Likewise for Channel 4 player etc, although Channel 4 does allow recording.

Overall I am pretty impressed with the Apple TV box used by Eir. It is very convenient to have all the other TV apps running on the same platform as the broadcast channels, and being totally wireless means you don't have to worry about cabling your TVs. Another nice feature, (which you won't find Eir advertising!), is that you can add additional multi-room boxes without paying the multi-room subscription - if you buy them yourself rather than paying the monthly subscription. Eir actually sell "refurbished" boxes from their store https://eir-store.ie/ - at €79.99 each. The units I purchased were brand new. Nice to get multi-room TV in several rooms, for a total household cost of €9.99 per month in your bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Suffering Jbox

H Babelfish, very interesting. Do the multi-room boxes have to be Apple tv 4k boxes?

Yes - if you want to run the eir TV app (you will need this for the Broadcast TV channels), you will need to use Apple TV 4K boxes. The original eir Vision box worked for a few days - to facilitate the changeover process - but then it died. You could use another box such as Chromecast or Android - but these won't run the eir TV app, so you won't get live Broadcast channels. The Apple TV 4k boxes are about €160 new. You can pick them up on Adverts.ie etc for as little as €50, but I suspect most of these are dodgy or stolen goods. The "refurbished" units being sold in the eir store are very good value at €79.99. There are no moving parts in these boxes, so very little to go wrong in a 2nd-hand box. Since you are buying online from Eir, you could always return your purchase if you were not happy with it.

Note - the "refurbished" units come with the regular Apple remote control, whereas Eir ship their new boxes with a branded Eir remote control. The Apple remote takes a little getting used to - the user interface is a bit like an i-Pod. I suspect that Eir were forced to provide a more conventional remote control for luddites who probably didn't like the Apple remote control. I actually quite like the Apple remote. You can also programme the Apple TV box to accept commands from any conventional remote - so this is not a major issue.

This is interesting so I will probably have to move over to this Eir TV when our contract is up mid Feb, currently on the Eir Vision old box which will be sad to leave.

So are you saying instead of paying €10 a month for a multiroom box could just pay a one off fee for one of these refurbished boxes and have the exact same content? Could I potentially not pay the €10 a month and just get a refurbished box for €79 and add a second one for another room or will I always have to have an original box and pay the €10 a month??

Basically want to know if refurbished box will have everything that a box you pay €10 a month for will have, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭crinkley

Actually you can broadcast live tv using the app and chromecast works for me anyway, granted I havent used very channel but certainly rte worked was watching ti last night in the bedroom. I love that the eir tv app also has the recordings means I can continue watching recorded shows in different rooms or even down at my parents when I visit

Yes - the additional refurbished boxes run exactly the same as my original box. Same apps, Broadcast TV, Recordings, Netflix etc. The recordings are even shared between all the Apple TV boxes, so you can record on one and play back on another. The only minor difference is that they ship with slightly different remote controls.

While you can avoid paying the multi-room rental for the extra rooms by buying your own multi-room boxes, I doubt that you could avoid paying the basic €10 per month for eir TV (which includes your first box). There is no configuration necessary to get the eir TV app to work, so I assume that it pulls your account credentials from eir's customer database based on your physical line address? This is only likely to work if you have signed up for eir TV in your bundle? I haven't tried bringing the box to another house with eir Broadband but no TV - I doubt it would work in another house.

Crinkley - It is true that you can "cast" the eir tv channels to any TV with Chromecast, even if you are away from home. It is a useful feature, but I wouldn't equate it to the simplicity of running eir TV natively on the Apple TV box. I am also not sure if the video quality of casting is full HD let alone 4K?

• Advertisement

One further question.

So when you used your refurbished box at the start to get up and running with all your channels from Eir did you have to log into an account or something?

I would be hoping to potentially have 1 box, 1 multiroom box (both downstairs) and then 1 refurbished box (upstairs) so paying a monthly €20 for TV and then just the one off payment of €80 for the upstairs box. I am just wondering could Eir cut this if they see you are using the 3 boxes to get channels but only paying monthly for 2 of these in your contract.

Advertisement