Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golfing goals for 2021

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Started off the year 21.1 and finished 14.6. Huge improvements everywhere given I only started in June 2020.

• Did this. Longer yardages than expected. I blame normalisation.
    • Got at least 5 possibly 1 more before year end.
    • Comfy with them all now but rarely hit 5i on home course, generally my approaches are shorter and 2nd shots longer.
    • Yes, 9/10 times.
    • Smashed this with 84. A number of sub 90 rounds since.
    • Just about. Had 2 birdies a couple of weeks ago.
    • Won a Sunday comp with the 84 and another small one last week.
    • Actually won all 3 of the work soc events I entered.
    • Nope. Only got back into it this late in the year. Huge difference since then.
    • Nope. Managed 5 new courses.
    • Nope.
    • 11/10 here considering restrictions. Really enjoyed myself.

Will be interesting to see how I progress next year. I'll have a much smaller work soc hc and also find it harder to shoot good nett scores as my index drops. Will throw up the new goals in 2022 thread when it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

Ouch, that didn't go according to plan!

I actually got to play a fair bit despite the arrival of the baby. But my game after the lockdown went to sh1t and only started to recover at the end of the year. As I said above, I looked like I was getting back to playing okay at the end of the year. Trying to get back from 17 to 14 and was playing well in parts of rounds, just not for 18 holes. But level par for 9 hole stretches and another day where I was four over for 12 (after doubling the first) I thought I'd at least be able to put in a couple of rounds of +10.....

But after the lockdown when I went back you'd think I had just taken the game up. I had rounds of +30. One particular highlight was shanking two balls on the first tee. Hard to start a round like that. My handicap was going to drift out over 20 so I played a couple of rounds on parklands just to steady it a little. It sits at 18.4 currently. I did start to strike it better by the end of the year, so think I've done good golf on the way again. It couldn't be worse anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

1: Success - currently sitting at 8.2.

2: Failure - only played in 2 medals all year. Finished 3rd in one of them which is a good result.

3: Success - played in two interclub teams. Pierce Purcell which was a disaster personally, bad blend with my playing partner. First time playing foursome in interclub, makes me want to play more of it though. Second interclub was the Uden cup, good run to the semi finals, won each of my matches easily enough, played well in each outing.

Looking forward to setting some more aggressive goals for next year. Birdie every hole in a counting round over the year, breaking 70 in a round... HC to 5 would be the big one, it would make me the best golfer historically in my family, need those boasting rights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

And I did!

Started the year at 7.1, played 20 rounds of golf and finished the year at 7.2 .

I'll consider that a success!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Noticed I never posted in this earlier in the year. Probably as it was started at a time I was suffering from a strong bout of Covid apathy and couldn't see beyond that (alongside an overall poor 2020 season)

Turned out to be a fairly decent year. Started the year with an index of 9.0. Peaked at a high of 9.7, but finished the year (thanks to a run of very good late qualifying rounds, including Seapoint and the K Club) at 8.1, which is the lowest I've been since the system officially kicked in.

Managed to break 80 (on par 72s) twice, and put in some good rounds at away courses.

Didn't win any events with the society this year, but managed top 5 comfortably in GOTY and despite overall Team losing, played a strong winning match with El Capitane @Break80

Ticked off a few quality courses I'd never played before and had some good times with some close friends made on boards, either on the course, or, talking golf on Zoom!

Invested in new clubs, as a treat for turning 40 in 2020. Great fitting session out in Foregolf and some major changes in the bag, that were definitely needed and easily part of the reason for my bad 2020 season.

2022 will have some special goals in there, which I can't wait to tick off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Positives for 2021.

1. Finally got to the promised lad of single figures. Started the year at 10.2 and finished at 7.8.
    2. Broke 80 in competition on 4 occasions.
    3. Had a good few double bogey free rounds. A motto of take your medicine was applied from the off and this has made a huge difference. I'm doing my best not to follow a sh1t shot with another sh1t.
    4. Got away for a three night/3 round trip with my mates from college during the heatwave in July. Palmerstown, Killeen Castle and Headfort New. Mighty few days of golf, pints and laughs!!!!!!

Negatives for 2021

1. Didn't have the time to commit to interclub golf.
    2. Filled the togs in captains after a great start : (

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

I guess WHS has made it easier to get to the promised land of single figures? Will be interesting to see in a year or so after the famous bedding in period what distribution across handicaps has been

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Not in my case. My scores in competitions this year would have gotten me to single figures with or without WHS.

But yes I agree that casual rounds contributing to your handicap can make it easier to come down and also go the other way which is the bigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

I didn't post at the start of the thread but I had a few goals coming into the year

1. Reach Single Figures
    2. Play Pierce Purcell
    3. Play at least 1 course that I never played before.

The last time I had a single figure handicap was 2010 so it has been an annual goal for the past few years. The 4 month break at the start of the year definitely helped here as it made me more eager to get extra rounds in over the summer. The extra golf improved the consistency of my long game and I finished the year with a handicap of 8.3 with a low index of 7.9. I think I would have still gotten there under the old system but it would have been a full shot higher.

I started the year with a new WHS handicap of 10.5 which was right on the cutline for the Pierce Purcell. I accomplished my goal of making the team but unfortunately we were beaten in the first round. The fact that I met my playing partner for the first time approximately 15 minutes before our teetime probably didn't help.

The 3rd goal is another one that I aim to do every year. It should have been the easiest to achieve but it ended up being the last to knock off the list. At this stage I have played almost every course within a 90 minute drive so it is taking more effort to get to new courses. Luckily I was out West in August and stopped off in Ballinrobe for a game. I found it a really good test and it was in fantastic condition on the day that I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭swededmonkey

Overall it was a disappointing year for me. Handicap went up a shot for the first time and only managed to break 36 points on 3 occassions, all of those were away from my home course, which I joined this year. Not being a fan of course lost some of my interest in the game, so I've joined somewhere more suited to my game and have committed to a winter programme with a pro. Two lessons in and I can see an immediate difference in my ball striking. Taking the cold months off and will get back in action in February

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

1. Yup
    2. Nope
    3. Nope , went other way
    4. Nope, low 90s was a struggle
    5. Nope
    6. Yes 😄
    7. Nope. About 50 which is still good enough
    8. Yup by 2 points. Highlight of year.
    9. Yup (and caught covid)
    10. Nope. Got to none of them.

overall going by this wasn’t a good year but you know what didn’t feel like that. Got out a lot, good craic and enjoyed myself so heah.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Happy to say I achieved my goal of 20 rounds. Within those rounds I got go play castlerock, portstewert, ballyliffin, Baltray, royal Portrush and my home course.

Hcap went from 14.3 to 12 currently (11.9 lowest)

I won my first club comp

Had my first eagle

All in all very happy with how the golfing year went

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I hadn’t taken golf seriously in a few years and I took some time off in 2020 and hadn’t swung a club in 9 months until the first night the clubs opened back up in April of this year. I had zero expectations so put no pressure on myself. Of course I had some goals but after a long time away I didn’t expect to hit them.

Lose 3 shots - I lost 6

Win a club competition - I won 1 and finished second 4 times

Break 90 - Did it in my first qualifying round

Break 80 - Wasn’t expecting to that until next year but got it done in August

Break 70 - A late addition but shot 74 and feel I’d have given it a good go but ran out of time and the winter rules came in

For 2022, I’m vowing to practice at least 3 hours every week in addition to playing at least 36 holes every week.

I want to lose another 4 shots and get down to a particular handicap.

Win the scratch cup in the club. This is the biggest one for me. Scratch cups are great and for me it’s the real proper test of golf. For some reason the weather is always bad for our one which makes it tougher again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

No post at the start of 2021 after joining local club in Sept 2020 until December 2021 for a one off fee.

Had 2 cards completed for handicap and had to wait until April for the 3rd. Played much more golf and nipping to the practise area in the evening was a help. But poor scoring was frustrating so lessons from July onwards have changed thing for the better. Didn't play much comps so my handicap is still high.

My last round of 14 holes was completed with the same ball and even got a handicap cut in the end of year review.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 johonnyboy

Joined my local club in June after not playing for over 10 years. A guy at work asked was I a member and went from there.

Still struggling to keep scratches off my card. Got handicap of 17 and up to 23 now unfortunately. Looking forward to next year and hopefully take a few lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

So, here's what I posted in January:

1. Play in as many "majors" as I can in 2021.

Hardly missed any but didn't qualify for Captain's. Had a 2nd place in a medal.

2. Play all my 8 society outings in 2021.

Played them all. Love the variety of courses and golfers a society brings.

3. Play lots of casual golf with my son and his mates.

My second son took up golf so I played with both and their mates several times.

4. Go on my postponed golf trip to Portugal in October.

3 rounds in Villamoura was a great experience.

5. Reduce my HI by 3 shots by June 30th.

I'll be 3.4 off my peak HI at year end.

Overall I'd be quite happy with how 2021 worked out.

I'd carry all bar the Portugal trip as goals into 2022. I've some big birthdays and anniversaries in 2022 so golf will have to work around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Well ill be glad to see the back of 21 in golfing terms,I never broke SS (in old money) seen my h/c go from 6.5 to 10 hc flat so my aim for next season is to get back to 6/7 hc and win something of significance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ah yeah, just building for next year Golfhead 😉

Hopefully 2022 will be a better year across the board, not just on the golf front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Ended up the year at 17.0 after starting at 18.9 but only tells half the story as I couldnt hit a ball out of my way till August I had managed to get up to 21.7 (low index was 16.8) but managed turn it around

Some equipment updates required in 2022 so its gonna be an expensive year

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Going to Vilamoure in Feb, quick question: Did the courses look for handicap certs, I assume not but we have a few non-golfers playing for the trip so don't want any surprises when we get there.

Thanks, Martin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

No they dont. They would let a pairing of Saddam Hussein and Muammar Gaddaffi out as long as they paid the green fee

And the would put Pope John Paul II and Martin Luther King with them too

With Pope John Paul as referee for the fourball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I don't think any of our group were asked for certs. There are a lot of houses close to the course though so they might need to get fit so they can run if needed ☺️

Advertisement