Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

It's funny listening to the different presenters having to plug it. Matt Cooper's voice sounds like it's dying any time he has to mention it. Whereas D'arcy and the pop crowd seem to love it.

It started with the weeks in Autumn where they were giving away one off prizes of 25k for a week etc. It must have taken in decent profit for them to do it every single day now (albeit lower amount)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Who the hell enters it? 2.50 to win 5-15k?

You'd be better off entering a local club lotto and know you're supporting local too.

You'd wonder do most people listening and entering realise it's across 5 or so different stations, especially national ones.

I've entered a good few comps in my time on 98/104, and have a won a fair few prizes, low enough odds on a single Dublin station than a prize across 2 nationals and a few regionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Fergal Darcy would be used to reading out those kind of promos from his many years on I Radio, it's not something that Cooper would be used to and probably doesn't approve, back in the day, the last word didn't take part at all in station wide competitions.

There are people is this country on the PUP payment for almost 2 years, I'd say they'd like an extra few quid for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

It doesn't really suit The Last Word, Matt goes from discussing some important story to having to plug the text competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm not saying I'm a fan either but if anyone has a better business model for keeping the independent radio stations on air may you speak now or forever hold your peace, because the standard ad breaks don't seem to be doing enough to keep the doors open. Bringing in cheaper "talent" runs the risk of losing listeners and ad revenue. Ireland doesn't have the population density to "crowd source" funding so the US NPR model is also a non runner.

It's long overdue for dinosaur Cooper to be dropped from that show, he doesn't suit features like the 5@5 and 6@6. I think Louise McSharry & Aidan power should be hired by Bauer to host the last word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Matt sounded very enthusiastic when I heard him reading out the long promo for the Cash machine yesterday.

He actually put on an excited voice too.

To be honest, the Last Word has gone to pot as a serious programme a few years now, it's no shock to hear the Cash machine be plugged during it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The 5@5 and the 6@6 should be dropped from that show, it doesn't suit a proper current affairs/news programme. "And what was the announcement by Minister of Health Stephen Donnelly this evening?" "Well, Matt, it was literally the last thing you were talking about before the break, but if you've forgotten, what you said that he said was..."

• Advertisement

I've literally nothing else to spend phone credit on. Vodafone gave me a free fiver yesterday for topping up, so I spent €2.50 of it on the Cash Machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Vodafone give everyone fivers, it's not free. You're basically paying for it yourself. I pay 10 euro a month and get unlimited everything. But that's for another thread.

Still better competitions to enter than the trash machine.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

In your opinion.

People enter it because it only costs a couple of euro and sure what harm?

I really don’t understand why you and others get so riled up about it. It started with expressing annoyance and now you’re giving out financial advice because some people play it. Very odd.

If it’s not for you, don’t play it. Don’t sh*t on people who do.

As I said, I topped up (as I do automatically every 28 days) which gives me unlimited data and more minutes/texts than I could ever use, and they gave me a fiver. I have literally no other way of spending that fiver other than entering competitions or texting WHATEVER to some 5-digit number for charity, but I wasn't aware of any charity appeals, offhand; the Cash Machine competition was being advertised; and no other text in competitions were giving me their number. So I said feck it, and spent €2.50 I couldn't otherwise spend. If you don't like, don't do it. Yes, the ads for it are annoying. /shrug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I don't think any of the presenters on Today FM or any others "across the Go Loud network of stations" have any choice in the matter. Some of them pretend to be excited about the Cash Machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You could donate to charity, although be careful of those TV ads that say "As little as €4....." because you end up getting a call back from someone trying to set up a direct debit regular donation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I’ve heard that sometimes stations only get 15-30 entries for a normal competition. That’s not terrible odds at all. It makes it seem worth entering.

The cash machine is only mentioned once a hour on most shows so I don’t find it annoying. What I do find annoying is a lot of presenters not sounding particularly interested in it or just saying the same thing (“this could get you loads of Christmas presents”). It’s large enough sums of money and bigger prizes than they would have regularly given away.

You would wonder if this will affect the long-term future of some presenters or if they’ll be given quotas (or if they already are), like “you need to get a thousand entries every day,” or “five thousand per week” and that will be taken into account in performance reviews the same way as JNLRs would be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Remember all the fun things D&D did throughout the year and can't be bothered finding a podcast of it? You don't have to, there's a clip show coming up next!

It's great, isn't it - that lad doing the Olympic reporting should be a regular!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dannyman76

Ads for the lunchtime show being played now, no mention of a DJ so looks like they're still looking

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's odd they'd not be hyping "And Somebody Somebody's new lunchtime show begins on Monday! (or Tuesday!)" at this stage, especially if they already work for Today FM/Bauer.

Getting really confused by the juggling of presenters this week - Claire Beck on now, she was on early afternoon yesterday. Ed being brought out in daylight, too!

Wrong thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

I doubt it will be Ed or Claire - as they have their own niche playlists that definitely wouldn't suit day time radio, two brilliant DJs and excellent presenters but it would be an insult to their DJing skills to push the usual 10 songs that they must play.

What about the 2 lads that sometimes fill in on bank holidays (one has annoying winey voice), who is up and coming in the other Baur stations? I think it will be a "content creator" or move someone who is already on the daily/weekend schedule to a different time slot and a new voice on their spot.

An outsider might be Alison Curtis - she seems to bring in the figures for her weekend morning show? But she does a lot of stuff with the kids on the radio & there wouldn't be the kids around at lunch time.

But yes odd that there has been no announcement - still chopping and changing things around to get it right!

Alison didn't do lots with kids when she was presenting The Last Splash, either - she'd presumably not be doing that either if she was on a lunchtime slot.

Agreed, they'd (hopefully!) not move Ed or Claire, or Dec Pierce, to lunchtime. Pamela Joyce would be better suited to lunchtime than to 7-10, I think. I really hope it's not those two lads from Spin!

They'd happily give it to that pair Graham & Nathan from Spin Breakfast only for the backlash they'd get on twitter for having no female presenters 7 to 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Paula McSweeney probably deserves to be given it but wouldn't be surprised if they try to get some 'big name' like they have done with Al Porter or Mairead Farrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭prodsc

Have they given up on news over the Christmas period?.tuned in yesterday ang again today and it didn't happen.

It's been on every hour. during the day at least?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Curve ball - it’s new management, therefore it’s the return of The King of The Afternoon for lunchtime!!!!

• Advertisement

Yep since they don't have an new permanent lunchtime presenter today and considering that that M Ronan had given them plenty of notice, It's obvious that they are going for a "celebrity" presenter again.

Advertisement