Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

Gusting 70kmh westerly in Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭alentejo

Cycling in Dublin just now. Some of the biggest gusts I have witnessed over the past year or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wasn't expecting the wind myself ,neighbours bins tossed along the street this morning .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Out at sandycove today, was able to lean my full weight into the wind unsupported. Lovely and sunny though which is a nice change!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭compsys

Exactly. A lot of people say Ireland and Vancouver have similar climates. We're not worlds apart but Vancouver is always a good bit warmer in the summer and a good bit colder in the winter. Vancouver is also a good bit wetter in winter - though slightly drier and sunnier in summer. It's a way better climate than ours IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭compsys

In fairness our average high in December (well in Dublin at least) is about 8.3º.

Vancouver is 6.3º according to that chart.

That 2º over the course of an entire month is actually fairly big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Thousands lost power across the NW. I recorded 100kmh, the highest gust of the year so far and no warning, 2nd highest gust of the year for me was a week or two ago as well with no warning. Trees down on the road. I see Malin recorded 115kmh (71mph) .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Was that today? I was in bed most of the day so missed that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The difference in the winter mean temperatures for Vancouver and locations in Ireland is dependent on whether or not arctic air shows up; some winters it does not show up and the means are quite similar as a result in those milder months. Other years it shows up for a week to even a month at a time, as it did in January 1950 which averaged about -5 C. Even so the lowest temperature that month (which remains the extreme for the location since records began in the 1880s) was -18 C which is not terribly different from all-time record lows in Ireland.

The milder Pacific air masses are about the same temperature as your mild Atlantic air masses. Daily record highs would be comparable.

The summers as somebody mentions above are a lot warmer and with considerably more sunshine after June which can be a rather cloudy month in the region. A normal July-August would have monthly averages around 18 C and sunshine of 300-350 hours a month. September is more similar and October probably very similar, November if anything a bit wetter than Ireland although maybe not all parts.

I have lived out here for 27 years now and about five of those winters were severe on the coast, another five or so had no wintry weather at all, and the rest usually see one or two week-long spells and the odd day of bitter cold. It's an odd climate in that you can get arctic air in as late as May after all spring blooming is complete. I can recall two occasions when it snowed in May and brought down all the pink petals on cherry trees at the end of their spectacular two-month display.

There is also very little thunderstorm activity near the coast. It picks up rapidly inland and becomes very frequent over the Cascades and further inland.

We are having an extreme cold spell now, my current mid-day temperature is -18 C under blue skies and patchy low cloud over nearby mountains -- if it can stay clear some night in this spell we might get down towards -30 but each night so far has been mostly overcast, and there's another front moving in from the northwest tonight so I expect it might bottom out around midnight at -26 or so then start rising as snow moves in. We have about 35 cms of powdery snow cover and there has not been much wind recently so the trees are coated with snow. The odd thing is that this severe cold is exactly six months after the heat dome where we were setting high temperature records; it was 44 C here on 30th of June and 1st of July. Those were of course all-time records; the all-time cold records are from January 1950 when locally it was around -35 C and closer to -40 or -45 in some valleys further north. That is when Vancouver had their -18 C all-time record. The month was severely cold in this entire region and some places had anomalies of -10 or -12 compared to their normals.

I wouldn't complain about your climate, we have had severe smoke problems here in three of the past five and five of the past ten summers. It wasn't that frequent in the 1990s and then started to become more of a problem in the hotter climate that seemed to set in around 2003 in this part of the world. But historical sketches of the region say that forest fire smoke was also quite frequent in the 1920s, the climate may not have been as warm or dry then but there was no active forest fire suppression so eventually whatever nature had in store would rage unchecked until the autumn rains put the fires out. We have had some moderate seasons where the firefighting activities have kept the smoke from becoming as bad as it might, but when you get a severe season then it overwhelms those efforts and the smoke gets very noxious. Our air "quality" reading here at the end of July 2021 was 400 ppm of particulates where 32 is considered tolerable. I came down with COVID like symptoms that might have been a direct response to breathing in that noxious air for a few days. As soon as the air cleared up a bit my symptoms went away too. But the air quality here was terrible for about eight or nine days (it took most of that time to get at me though). When we get severe smoke here, the visibility drops to about a half mile and the sun can look like it is behind cloud layers but red instead of orange, like a dim traffic light. It is rather strange when it is also very warm and humid and there's ash falling from the low cloud deck. I think I have done my duty for the anti-immigration movement. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭mcburns07

You should try our relentlessly damp climate for a while some time MT :) you might be wishing for your few weeks of smoke back!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I was born in England and have been over on several holiday trips so I have some rather limited experience of the damp climate, also I managed to time most of those holiday trips for particularly dire summers but I only have the faint childhood memories of winter weather conditions -- however, it is very damp a lot of the time in Vancouver and even here in a normal winter, we don't get this severe cold and an absence of the mixed rain-snow regime very often, even up here it rains in the winter months occasionally and turns everything to ponds of slush in town, somehow they manage to keep a snow base intact out at the ski hills. There were some winters where Vancouver was so frequently wet that it got depressing and forced us to take a break in the desert to maintain any form of sanity. Also there's no shortage of damp dismal late autumn and early winter days in Ontario where I spent the other half of my life in Canada. It comes with breaks but you can get into days on end of low cloud and drizzly mixed crud. Nov-Dec are the worst for it. In a COVID world it doesn't matter much where you are I suppose but in normal times if I were wealthy (which I am not, no surprise there) I would choose to spend a good part of my life in Ireland and maybe Scotland, maybe not so much for the weather, but I know it can be very pleasant too. I do like the desert and its climate too, especially the high desert in Utah where it's not excessively hot in summer.

Scotland would be high on my list if I were to ever leave Ireland. What a beautiful country, I feel the weather there is a bit more seasonal than here, admittedly quite wet too! We got lucky with the weather when we visited a few months ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dunsany is now sitting at 101mm of rain for December. Up to the 23rd of December this total was sitting close to 40mm so roughly 60mm of rain has fallen since December 23rd making this possibly the wettest week of the year and December will be one of the wettest, if not the wettest month of the year by the time the rainfall totals are completed. December is now also running at over 1C above average making this month another very wet and mild Atlantic driven winter month.

Sure that's nothing..

Parts of wexford got that much on Xmas day alone 😱

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yeah Wexford really got hammered with the rain around Christmas and more rain since. The rain here is Meath has been bad too but not to the same level as parts of Wicklow and Wexford.

Same in Cork, less than 50mm up to the 21st. Over 140mm now. Should end the month with 150-155mm. 1.3 degrees above average too, a month I can't wait to see the back of.

The past week has probably been the grimmest most horrible Christmas week of weather I can remember. We have had plenty of mild and wet Christmas week's before but this year it's particularly bad, especially given the excitement we had running up to Christmas. The Atlantic is back big time and not just for a week or two like the majority of unsettled spells over the past 8 months.

Met Eireann's monthly forecast for January is as bad as it gets if you want cold or dry weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Miserable again in meath, lucky to make it back from a spin before the rain arrived, 3mm since lunchtime.

I know it has been said a bit recently but there does seem to be some truth in us alternating between very dry and very wet spells, in between seems to have deserted us lately.

• Advertisement

2021 definitely marked by long periods of dry weather and every 6 weeks or so we get a week to 10 days of very wet and Atlantic driven weather and then back to mostly dry and settled conditions with very little action from the Atlantic. I think we did go through a major pattern change the week before Christmas when many including myself were expecting a cold end to December and a January that would start off mild and become progressively colder. I think that idea is now completely dead and the Atlantic is going to take some time to settle down this time. January won't be mild from beginning to end but there will be some periods of cold zonality with cold rain and hill top wintryness. Could be a struggle to get more than a few nights frost this month.

The CFS has shifted over the past week, gone are all the cold spells for January and just Atlantic domination from start to finish. Mostly mild but some cold zonality and potential for some fairly stormy conditions at times and no shortage of rainfall. It's only towards mid February that we start to see the attacks from the north and east make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Relentless rain here all day in South Wicklow, hasn't stopped since early this morning. Some local roads flooded here with plenty more rain forecast until the early hours. Grim I think is the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭esposito

Anybody else joining me in writing off January for cold/snow even frost. Obviously hoping I’m completely wrong. Let’s hope for brighter days at least as we go through January because the last few weeks have been very grim.

I watched a bbc weather forecast the other day and Tomasz Schafernaker even appeared to be fed up with this grey, remarkably mild weather. Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Yep.

Just as I'm putting a roof on a building. Balls

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Quickly not seeing much hope from the rest of this winter as tropical amplification dies a death, that vortex lobe has returned to home over Greenland and there is no sign of a major SSW. The best we can get is northerly topplers (1-2 day affairs) or long fetched northwesterlies. Other than that, looks flat westerly as far as I can see.

The most frustrating thing as a cold/snow lover is the blocking has come off, just it was never in the right place as usual for Ireland. It was a very cold December in northern and northeastern Europe from what I've been hearing. We were unlikely to get much from late December but the idea was that we would see the stratospheric polar vortex lighten up sometime during December or January and or we would get a prolonged run of conducive drivers (talking like the MJO) to blocking with the risk increasing more over time for Ireland to open the floodgates to cold air from the northeast. None of that has happened. The SPV continues to rage on, Atlantic has fired up and once in a rut, tough to get out.

I won't throw in the towel but boy is it tempting with the dire signals. Roll on the longer days..

Warm September 1 - Cold Winter 0.

I'm just glad long range forecasting is wildy inaccurate. I don't see the point in writing off the winter when the first month of it hasnt even ended. A lot can happen in the next 8-10 weeks and the weather has a habit of making fools out of us over and over again. If we can't get some decent cold or settled spells then a few big storms will do!

I've seen MJO mentioned a fair bit throughout the years. I have never looked in to it in any detail. I've seen it mentioned a lot of times on other sites, off the top of my head phase 7 or 8 is a good sign for amplification in our part of the world but in all the years I've seen it mentioned heading in to that phase nothing ever came of it so I questioned was it much use.

No doubt there are examples of it leading to colder Weather for us, I just never saw it happen the times I seen it mentioned.

No. I'm not in the write it off camp. Mid January onwards anything is possible. Possibly a Northerly toppler early next week, better than 14c and flies getting in the window when the light is on at the end of December. Absolutely ridiculous ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

MJO is one of the biggest drivers of the weather but I am far from an expert on the matter. I mention it because it gets all the talk from professionals. Indeed phase 7 or phase 8 are good signs for amplifying blocking in our direction but the effects can differ depending on amplitude of the phase and whether ENSO is neutral, El Niño or La Niña too. March 2013 was said to likely have been strongly caused by the MJO but not solely and Winter 1962-63 too.

• Advertisement

An exceptionally mild to warm day today across many parts of Europe with the exception of Scandinavia and the eastern European/Russia border regions. Temperatures 12 to 25C across western Europe today with most places seeing mid to high teens. Even the cold over Scandinavia is being killed off in southern parts by the warm air moving further north and east.

Records could get broken on New Years Day over parts of the lowlands, France, Germany and central Europe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement