Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I’m not sure if they’re all done at test centres but you can get antigen tested at test centres.

We are probably doing as many antigen tests as Denmark, but it's just the powers that be considered them to be snake oil auld nonsense, so never put any system in place to capture the data from them.

It should be possible to report a positive antigen through the tracking app. We have the IT infrastructure in place with a minor tweak it could have been done very cheaply but ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Hope you're feeling better. Can't argue with your logic. I think they've gotten an awful lot wrong and Holohan irritates me terribly because I think he's a very arrogant man on a bit of an ego trip. But I guess I can't dismiss them entirely - they know far more about diseases of this nature than I do. I see a lot of posters on here drawing their own conclusions on what "should be done" with absolute certainty when they know as much about infectious diseases as me - which is the square root of f**k all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Probably better to have the kids in school rather than having them wedged into JD Sports or Penneys.

Schools are safe anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Just looking at another incompetent failure of our government in protecting people regarding our shambolic approach to antigen testing.

There is no guidance on if you are a close contact to someone who is positive on an antigen but has no symptoms. This probably makes up a huge number of people who are currently pre symptomatic and cant get a pcr.

Many of these people are being forced to come into work by unscrupulous employers and further facilitating the spread.

This guidance needs to be updated urgently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

well common sense approach would work in that you would get tested yourself - do an at home antigen test if that is all that is available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Cork2021

got the moderna booster yesterday!! It’s rightfully fûcked me up!! Glad to have got it done though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Are idiots still pushing this trope?

It was simply using a pre-existing legislative distinction between premesises to separate those who provided food and accompanying drinks in a controlled, limited capacity, seated, table-service only environment and those who packed people in elbow to elbow, primarily or exclusively to drink.

People are either stupid or playing stupid if they think, or believe others will think it was really about some magical €9.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Exactly. You can disagree with it all you like but there was logic behind what they were trying to do with that rule. Doesn't mean the logic was right but it wasn't just something they pulled out of thin air.

Guidelines are just that, advice, but those that don't follow the rules are making problems for those that do. They should be sanctioned with fines and/or closure orders and their licence applications scrutinised when they come up for renewal. Others within their industry and their representative organisations should not support them because their short term greed is harming the entire industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The guidance is going to have be, "do an antigen test every day before you leave for work and do not attend if it's positive".

Having people isolate because they're a close contact of a positive antigen test will not be sustainable at these numbers.

Any without a better sick pay process, people will just go into work anyway.

We genuinely do have an issue with our ultra flexible workforce equaiting to little or no ability to take genuine sick leave. That's likely made a bad situation woese.

Compared to much of the continent and certainly northern Europe, in the private sector, we've far fewer protections. It's more like the US, UK etc than counterparts in wealthier parts of the EU - very little union protection or collective bargaining etc - we've better safety nets but nothing approaching Nordic or French levels.

A lot of people will work while sick and contagious because they don't have many other options other than potentially losing their job.

The government also keeps recommending people self isolate, while providing them with no legal protections if they follow that advice. Then you've various high horsed commentators, including in health policy, basically blaming public behaviour for these outbreaks.

Too much of this is relying on assumptions of good will or seeing the private sector though the lens of never being outside the public sector, or being a very highly paid senior consultant type. A lot of Irish workers are in fairly precarious situations and can't just take time out.

What I'm seeing is a clear distinction between people who are able to work from home due to what they do or people working for very safety aware companies who are all able to comply with advice and be safe, then you've people in other sectors who have unscrupulous employers or who've no choice due to type of work and they are most at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭gipi

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What do you think the guidance would be or should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Practically it should be don't go to work if you have any symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

It was ok for me for the first 12 hours but the 48 hours after that were pretty tough. Headache, fever, shakes. Pain/swelling in lymph nodes now gone so hopefully through it and ready and armed for infection by Covid if it happens. And I will not be seeking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Then make that some form of law and not guidance or advice.

If you're asking someone with a runny nose or a cough and nothing else to choose between putting food on the table or stay home, they'll choose the former.

Not everyone has sick pay, or ability to take time off easy. If the government don't want to legislate for it (they've talked about but no chance it'll happen) then feck off with the advice.

July 19th.

No, sorry, that's the day the ice age ended.

It should be driven by data, not some arbitrary date. When hospital numbers and case numbers are decreasing and continue to decrease or remain at manageable levels, despite increasing relaxation of restrictions then restrictions can continue to be relaxed until there are none.

When will that be? How long is a piece of string?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Steveimitation

Some people have "symptoms" for months on end though. Fair enough if you have a fever or a change of taste/smell or sudden breathing issues but when they are telling people that any cold/flu symptoms are covid then how can that work? Some people technically have symptoms from october till may.

This is something that the powers that be haven't addressed at all throughout this whole thing.

You mean like last summer when there were hardly any cases and a tiny number of deaths? Glynn was of course "very concerned" at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭corkie

The numbers reported officially yesterday where the same as the swab data. PCR tests are swamped so under-reported cases anyway.

Media reports in the last 24 hours: -

FDA: Rapid Antigen Tests May Be Less Effective at Detecting Omicron

Rapid antigen tests may be less sensitive at detecting the highly contagious omicron variant and could lead to results that are "false negative,"

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, that's actually me. I WFH so don't need to worry about it that much but I spend a good chunk of the year sneezing.

You could be right .Widespread utilization of daily antigen tests might be the only way we can keep society functioning at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Moving to self-antigen testing would be great, as it would mean an end to the daily numbers media freak out.

Also agree with the poster about symptoms being all winter long; I had a cold last month that's hanging around, have done regular antigen and one PCR and all negative.

I just got my booster today though, which is good news!

I'm not sure. But just putting our heads in the sands and treating them as if they are not potentially infectious is certainly not the way to go about it.

As Seamus alluded to - maybe something like a strict daily antigen testing regime in certain settings might be appropriate.

If it's worth anything. I have family who worked in hospitality during the Summer. Some of her former work colleagues have had to isolate as close contacts and two contracted CoViD-19 because a wedding party didn't inform them until after their wedding reception that they had tested positive for CoViD-19. I'm sure it's not the only case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

If antigen positive on Day 0, symptoms on Day 1, antigen negative (x2) on Day 4 but still with cold symptoms, are you a) infectious as you have symptoms, or b) likely not infectious after the few days, and just have remnant symptoms?

I can't find answer online to above, but hope a few on here with, preferably, Hons Masters in Boards Epidemiology, can advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Trusting the science doesn't mean trusting scientists with agendas and hubris.

Do lockdowns and Holohan's advice on closing certain quarters of the economy and society even count as science?

I'd love to know what their game is. I'd say the biggest one is not wanting to back down and a bit of a hero complex, Holohan and co. love the mainstream fawning over them and now do not want to upset that image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,474 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Another stupid comment. Their job is to advise the government on best practice for the health of the nation. They don't make any decisions about what we do.

When are people going to understand this and stop having a go at NPHET.

You blame the government for anything as regards restrictions or otherwise that you are not happy with because they make the decisions

Advertisement