Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Unfortunately my aunts husband is gone into hospital with suspected Covid today. He had done an antigen test at home yesterday and it was negative. He was in a bad state today though. Ambulance men told my aunt that the antigen tests are useless and should be thrown in the bin….dunno about that but they weren’t useful in this case anyway. They said they are 100% that it’s Covid he has. He couldn’t even walk by himself to the ambulance. He has had the booster and all. I’m suprised he’s that bad. Hope he’ll be ok once he gets some treatment in hospital. He has had heart issues in the past and is due to go for an operation on his prostrate in January so perhaps this is why he got such a bad dose…my aunt just ended chemotherapy a few weeks ago so really hope if she gets it that it’s not too bad for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The HSE IT department are probably still trying to come up with an impregnable password after the hacking. TonyIsKing2021 isn't strong enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

There obsession with washing hands is pretty much nonsense at this stage. The Irish government didn't bother to update the guidelines around this for 12+ months.

CDC have had for 9+ months on their website that Covid transmission via surface contamination is the least likely, the primary being aerosols and close contact - either someone coughing/breathing at you or you walking into a cloud of cough / exhale.

Yes, hand sanitising helps and is a good practice (limits influenza and other pathogen spread) but it's only a cherry on top of the cake, it's not some of a core ELEMENT of anti-covid strategy as it's become established in Ireland.

Hand washing - that's just a normal habit where I'm from. Does Tony insist that Irish people are dirty fellows who didn't get to learn basic hygiene standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,474 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sorry to hear about this.

Better off stay off this thread for a while. There's idiots here who'll tell you they should be let die and all sorts.

I hope your uncle gets over it and your aunt doesn't get it. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

We have the highest infection rates in Europe with the highest vaccination uptake.

Whatever advice they are giving is clearly not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Or that maybe he's a "rounding error" as someone said here the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Either the state does it outright or supplements them. That seems to be what most other western countries are doing.

Do you have a better suggestion on how to proceed?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,474 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fact is it's only advice, they don't make decisions about what we do. That's my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Sorry to hear that but there are enough here saying they had positive antigens and they used these to curtail movement so not sure it is sound advice from the ambulance service to say they are useless and should be put in the bin.

If someone is sick enough to go to the hospital because of illness then they should be in hospital no matter what they have.

I suppose I am of a generation where I have had relatives die (pre Covid) including from viruses in or around Christmas time and a flu whipping through a nursing home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

titan18 is one, anyone calling for no restrictions without a strategy to manage hospitalisations is another (though it's hard to tell if they really believe that restrictions do nothing or just winding people up at this stage, most of them have been calling for no restrictions from day 0 and ignore the data showing that they work so continuing the same rings hollow).

There's a few others that just want obese people to die.

Lots of banned people among this number (see post 1 for a list).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

How long did it take you to come up with that witticism?

Oh yes I know, that’s why I said “I dunno about that” in relation to what they said. I know they can be useful if someone gets a positive as it makes people isolate but equally if the test says it’s negative and they do have covid, then they are just going to go about their business as usual…when they might actually have it. I dunno; it’s all a shitshow really!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Do what the the border counties are doing, Ordering them on the NHS website using a northern Ireland address. Works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If you're vaccinated a professional antigen test up to 48 hours before your arrival should be ok. You can try some self administered antigen tests beforehand to confirm you're testing negative.

A PCR test might show positive for up to 12 weeks post infection according to latest data - referenced by another poster earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Only goody two-shoe type people will isolate, or get a pcr test. It's human nature, most people first of all won't know they have covid, and even if showing the signs, or are a close contact will just carry on in life as normal. You really can't deny this............ as that is how it's spreading so so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Well fingers crossed they are both ok. Vaccinated and boosted means good protection. Will be a difficult few days for your aunt also.

Cheers, yes hopefully all will be ok and he’ll be discharged soon

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

You think it’s the advice that is causing the infections? Not the current variants transmissibility and our social behaviors? The advice so far has been to get vaccinated and the huge uptake will hopefully save a huge amount of hospitalizations and deaths. I am very glad that so many of us are protected to the point that omicron is being reported here as a mild cold.

Hopefully it will burn slow enough over the next few weeks to be manageable. Squeaky bum time for next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

The problem is, when you have a State like Ireland where everything is spoon fed by the authorities, then when something like Covid happens people can no longer think for themselves. It is a horrible situation that has been created by successive Governments where people think that if the Government says it's 'okay' to do something, then it's safe.

Consider people going to pubs who think this is safe because the Government have allowed them to be open. It would have been a far better situation if there were no need for restrictions because people could use their own minds to determine risk.

The same applies to schools. I can't believe that people believe that somehow schools are safe. Norma Foley has now created a situation where people can't trust them. She should have been honest from the start and said that there obviously is a risk with 20+ children mingling in a room, and that people need to weigh up the risk/benefit.

Since the start of this, I've been using PPF3 and antigen tests when they became available. I would not have done either of those if I'd listened to the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf just saying I'm one isn't really getting what I've been saying right.

I'd rather no restrictions cos ultimately I think some of them are doing more harm than good at this stage and a lot are theatre, but you can still manage covid, protect hospitals and the economy.

Mandating masks in health or elder care settings, vaccines should be voluntary but strongly encouraged for vulnerable populations, and then invest in covid only treatment centres so you can keep covid positive patients out of hospitals as much as possible. I'd rather spend money on that than PUP and covid supports for locked down businesses.

Our strategy ATM is nowhere sustainable long term and imo hasn't been sustainable for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Not sure if it has already been mentioned yet. A preprint not yet P.R found j&j double dose to be 85% effective against hospitalisation in S.A against omicron and offerer a better t cell response than a Pfizer booster with 1 j&j. I can't find what protection one dose offers?

No option to get a second here anyway so it matters not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

So the rest of us plebs would be much better off if we could think as critically as you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Know you from the weather forum Leahyl, best wishes to your family and hopefully things will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Don't get me wrong, there are others that share your position, they just try and hide it or feign outrage or go running off into the ether only to come back a few days later, hence why giving a full list would be an exercise in futility as they would all scream and squirm and get outraged at their position being put in writing in that fashion.

I will add this, health professionals prioritise vaccine spending because it means they don't have to spend as much on other systems, they pay for themselves, they are also most effective when a high % of the population take them, hence the early childhood programs and information provided to encourage uptake, they are not as effective when used solely as a prophylactic (where exercise, good diet and not being sick with something else is about the best prophylactic for COVID) as some people think they should be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

Yes, pretty much. Although I would not have used the word 'Pleb'.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Good to see focus on hospital numbers.

Article also says Friday evening key in terms of getting an understanding of the hospital numbers

Sorry to hear about your relative and hopefully they get back on their feet again once they get some support in hospital.

I think though one of the problems with the comments that ‘they’re useless’ is that ambulance drivers, for example, and probably front line nurses and so on are seeing the outliers. They’re the people who end up in an ambulance or in A&E. For the vast majority, the antigen tests are working and are finding cases, and people are isolating or at least being cautious when they do get a result and are preventing spread.

I know 5 cases (just counted) which were picked up by antigen tests and prevented people from going home to vulnerable relatives, i.e. 80+ year olds with underlying illnesses. That to me proves that antigen tests serve a purpose.

They’re not perfect. You can get glitches which result in a failure to produce an accurate result - they can be some weird issue with the test pack, a swab that just didn’t hit the infected areas and never returned anything to test, or some other random issue.

One thing I’m a little concerned about in Ireland is because it’s a bit of a ‘let the market bring down the prices’ - I wonder are we necessarily sure that all the tests are as good as each other. There’s a significant possibility some of them aren’t. Are we doing any analysis of different brands and so on? I know they’re CE approved, but that’s mostly just self certification.

There are a lot of tests out there from brands I’ve never heard of, being sold by pound shops and non medical suppliers.

I’d just have some question marks about the security of the supply chain and so on.

That’s also on the Government and the refusal to procure them centrally.

What assurances are in place that antigen tests are meeting a known standard? Is that being enforced? If so, by whom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

probably already posted but schools to close for 3 extra days

sorry ignore as was pointed out date is wrong was sent to me should of checked it

Advertisement