Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodging bank draft in baby's name?

• 30-12-2021 6:08pm

Our baby got a kind gift in the form of a bank draft from a relation for Christmas. It's in our baby's name but they don't have a bank account.

Is it possible to lodge to our account as parents or how does this work...? 😬

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You want to steal your baby's money?

Open a bank account for the child. Lodge draft.

Wow, your attitude spans multiple forums.

Obviously not intending to steal money; mind it for them. The last we checked most accounts were for around 7 year olds and over. We'll do a deeper dive into the options - this thread is an initial part of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Generally, if the cheque is crossed the cheque can only be lodged into the payees account. Otherwise, it should be okay.

If your bank is Bank of Ireland, ask here; https://www.boards.ie/categories/bank-of-ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

You can open bank accounts for babies which also have a parent named. We did this with permanent tsb and the account moves into the child name only from 7yo (I think). I am sure all the banks offer something similar. We did need the birth cert to do this, and may have needed their pps (can't remember). It has been an handy spot for lodging any presents we got for them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Advertisement

I think bank drafts come pre-printed as "a/c payee only", if memory serves. So technically you'd need to open an account for the child.

However, if you've a bank with a manned cash desk near you, I think it would be worth bringing it into them and hoping they might be able to accommodate you. Bring the birth cert as proof, and if you have any kind of proof of address for the child (e.g. any communication about their PPS number) bring that too. If it was me, I'd also bring my own ID and proof of address, so that of you do need to open an account you'll have everything you need with you.

Lastly, just to mention it doesn't have to be a bank account - you could always look into putting it into a long term NTMA product, post office savings, or prizebonds (t&cs dependent).

Sorted - opened a credit union account for them and lodged the bank draft.

Advertisement