Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

good for you and your voluntary work. Also what's spent on largely unjustified asylum claims(c 80% as per the dept of justice) would cover many thousand dail bar bills

Not directed at you btw. I'm not going to get into a circular argument with oej, but your/his quote got me thinking about this.

I think it's more a preference that the resources of this country go to benefit Irish people (regardless of their backgrounds), than people who are under appeals (DP) and probably should have been deported long ago (whose overall cost, as an individual, far outweighs the cost of an Irish person, due to legal fees, supports, etc).. or those migrants who will stay for a few years to get the benefit of government support, but then move elsewhere.

I always find it interesting the way posters on boards will acknowledge the lack of funding for our poorer or less fortunate groups, or the decline in services, but won't have too much interest in taking away resources from the services that cater to migrant groups. Oh, the response will be that nothing has changed with our governments and public service, and money will continue to be wasted.. which is valid, but if there is more resources available, wouldn't that mean more resources available for those who need them, regardless of the waste involved? And somehow it's worse that we might put Irish people first, ahead of the supposed needs of migrants or those in DP... I always find that a strange one. Never mind the growing wealth inequalities, unemployment at the lower income ranges, or whatever... there's plenty of issues within Irish society that relate to our lower income groups.. but it's still more important that we continue wasting money on migrant groups (who, in the vast majority of cases, should be able to provide for themselves already before arriving in Ireland...)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No need for a circular argument klaz as I’m sure you’re well aware that the income and expenditure of the State is not a zero sum game as though the State can only address one single issue at a time.

Your argument can basically be boiled down to the same points that are made regarding funding any group in Irish society, whether it’s immigrants, unemployed, homeless, disabled, childcare, etc, and of course the most popular demographic on Boards - “the taxpayer”, as if anyone who refers to “the taxpayer” isn’t just referring to themselves.

No matter how much anyone pays in taxes, it’s the Government who decides where revenue it gets will be be spent in the budget to fund the Irish economy. Sure, there’s plenty of it goes back to Irish people already in the form of payment for goods and services to the State, and there’s plenty goes to fund all sorts of other things which people would rather it didn’t.

There’s really nothing new there. Next time there’s the inevitable thread on unmarried mothers with the inevitable tabloid link in the opening post, it’ll be the same story as this one - “the State shouldn’t be funding their lifestyle”, “squeezed middle”, etc, and there will be no shortage of posters doing their back of a napkin calculations to establish as though it were fact, how much this particular individual is costing the State, as well as the few that’ll comb through social media for ‘ere a juicy tidbit to fuel the moral outrage bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Seeing as you reckon direct provision is a massive waste of money do u agree with Roderick o gormans push to give every asylum seeker the keys to their own pad within 4 months of arriving here?

I do tbh, I think it should have been done from day one as such, and the idea of direct provision should never have been on the table. I think they should also have been permitted to seek employment from day one and supports should have been provided to intergrate immigrants into communities around the country as is being done now, as opposed to having them all concentrated in major urban areas. That would have required investment in rural development at the time too though, which successive Governments have been rather slow on the uptake about.

I take it this is what you’re referring to?

• Advertisement

That's the scheme. So keys to their own place and full welfare within 4 months- airlines may start putting on direct flights to Nigeria, Pakistan etc if that comes off, such will be the demand.

What's the numbers in direct provision at the minute- 8000 ish? and they have all received leave to stay here recently from the minister. She felt it was the right thing to do, which is nice.

What's the average number for family repatriation for each asylum seeker anyone know? Say 2 for the craic, seems low but anyway, that's 24k that have to be housed, full dole etc. It should help keep the housing crisis going anyway! Paddies kids can keep living at home in their 30's or else sod off to Oz, Canada etc when they reopen.

'and they have all received leave to stay here recently from the minister'

Where did you see this?

I forgot about the amnesty for the illegals, so it gets better!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/undocumented-and-asylum-seekers-can-regularise-status-via-once-in-a-generation-scheme-1.4745369

Undocumented migrants and asylum seekers who have been in direct provision for at least two years will be able to apply to regularise their status in Ireland from January under a “once-in-a-generation” scheme.

Regularise their status is the words you're looking for bubbly it's in there somewhere, keep looking!

• Advertisement

'What's the numbers in direct provision at the minute- 8000 ish? and they have all received leave to stay here recently from the minister'

This is what I am asking you. Where did you see this?

Eh Regularise their status is leave to stay. There has been zero deportations since covid begun, so whoever's in direct provision is getting an amnesty. Suck it up, paddy taxpayer!

Helen McEntee TD

@HMcEntee

·

Dec 9, 2020

No deportations have occurred since March in respect of unsuccessful applications for International Protection

So when you said that 8000 people in direct provision have been given leave to remain by the minister, that was a lie.

Glad we cleared that up.

Inaccurate rather than a "lie".

Tell me Bubbly, would you really like other posters to start accusing you of lying? You've made many statements on this thread and elsewhere which faded to nothing when you were queried.. should we start calling your inaccurate statements "lies"? (since a lie would suggest the intentional desire to mislead others, as opposed to a simple mistake)

It was a lie. Unless you are also that poster and know what was in their head?

If you can find somewhere that I lied, go ahead and post it.

So no asylum seekers have been deported since covid hit almost 2 years ago. and the government has said in the times link above that they can Regularise their status in a once in a generation amnesty. If that isn't leave to remain I dunno what is.

Glad to help bubbly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Heard there on the radio earlier that Nkencho's sisters are putting themselves in the news again calling for a public enquiry, no mention as to who would foot the bill for it though but we all know it won't be the good folks holding their little vigil outside the cop shop.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if spineless McEntee agreed with them, I didn't think we could have a more hopeless Minister for Justice than Charlie Flanagan but she proved me wrong.

Wonder did their little scumbag brother who threatened to kill a Garda have charges brought against him?

We must be the only place in the world where people come to our country and tell us what we should be doing.

Yes, they haven't been deported because of covid. Fair enough I would have thought. That doesn't give them leave to remain. They are still in the system.

The government has said that they may apply to regularise their status, along with all other undocumented/illegal immigrants in the country. Allowed to apply, not automatically receive.

So, no they don't have leave to remain. It's still a lie.

The irony being that you apparently know what was in their head..... but nobody else can? What wondrous powers you have. (Although I tend to assume some benefit of doubt to peoples claims, aware that people can be mistaken...)

As for trawling through your previous posts, nah, I won't. However, I'll pop in to point any new ones as being lies.

Not going to let the facts get in the way of a ridiculous argument, are you?

For starters, they won’t own the properties in any case? The properties will be owned either by the State, by approved housing bodies, or by private ownership. Immigrants will be accommodated according to a needs based assessment and will be required to pay rent according to their means, in a programme that is initially designed to accommodate 3,500 people per annum. There will be no impact on any “housing crisis” in Dublin as the scheme will be funded and run separately, nationally, apart from other existing schemes.

The whole point of permitting immigrants to seek employment is so that they won’t be dependent upon welfare, so they will be competing for employment opportunities with Irish people, and immigrants can not be held responsible for Paddies kids living at home in their 30s, or sodding off to Oz or Canada when they reopen. That’s entirely Paddies kids choice, same as it has been throughout history - people seeking to make a new life and opportunities for themselves abroad emigrated, and immigrated to other countries. Irish employers aren’t obligated to hold positions open for Paddies kids until they come of age, and when they do come of age, they’re competing in the open jobs market the same as everyone else. I thought we were down with the whole “people should be hired on merit” thing, no? Or is that just the explanation offered when it favours people you’d prefer were hired over others?

That’s the same sort of attempting to pit one group in society against another was seen in the thread earlier. If it’s not young people, it’s people who are homeless, or it’s people who are unemployed, or it’s some other group, when in reality it’s plain as day the person who does that, clearly doesn’t give a fcuk about any group, it’s just whataboutery to suit their purposes aimed at portraying any particular group (in this case immigrants) as responsible for other peoples circumstances.

The whole point is that it is an alternative to the current system of direct provision which simply isn’t fit for purpose. It’s all here in black and white if you’re genuinely interested in the scheme, and not just interested in stoking up resentment of immigrants as if they are responsible for anything they’re not, when it’s ultimately the people who are elected by the Irish electorate to run the country, are responsible, and currently they’re all Irish.

The reason I emphasise currently, is because I have no doubt at some point in the future there will be a politician whose ancestors immigrated here who will run for election like a one-trick pony with an anti-immigration manifesto as is happening in other countries already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,089 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We can barely build a house in this country at the minute yet some think we can just magically give people a gaff after 4 months.

Talk about living in cuckoo land.

Jaysus bubbly you may get on to the movement of asylum seekers Ireland (masi) n tell them it's a lie. The poor crayturs think Christmas came early this year!

An early crimbo present delivered by minister mc enter and paid for by Irish taxpayers (naturally!)

MASI also welcomes inclusion of the people who seek international protection (Asylum Seekers) and have been in the system for two years and more. The inclusion of the people under threat of deportation also shows the inclusive approach being taken by the Minister, to include as many people as she possibly can.

It is comforting to see that the report by Catherine Day (see below) has informed some of these decisions.

The mood has suddenly changed for many people who have been stuck in direct provision for so long. Everyone is happy and sees this as an early Christmas present .”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

We are now definitely the new "promised land ".

it is not irony. It is merely called reading.

I am afraid you are the one who made something up. You presume to know what was in their head, I took what they said as what it said. which was not true.

now I know you are deliberately posting lies.

they are allowed to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Without large scale immigration the ponzi scheme will collapse.

I am talking about ratio of workers relative to state pensioners. Native Irish are not reproducing fast enough.

That's the hidden agenda being run by Government.

Again I have to ask, what’s this ‘we’ business? Properties are being built, bought and sold in this country every day. Nowhere has it been suggested that anyone is magically gifting anyone a gaff (unless you mean by way of avoiding paying inheritance tax, which I don’t think you do 😏). What’s been suggested happening within four months is providing people with accommodation, replacing direct provision - a system which is deemed to be no longer fit for purpose.

Multiculturalism drives innovation and social progress. The whole point of it is it’s benefit to society as opposed to any perceived benefits to individuals within that society. Ireland is already multicultural in many aspects, if culture is taken to mean what culture actually means -

1. the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.
    2. the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society.

And not - “Beware de foreigners!”

Places like Ireland have a lack of affordable housing and a struggling healthcare system which is neither caused by, exacerbated by, nor will these issues be solved by either permitting immigration, nor prohibiting immigration. It’s best not to conflate multiculturalism with immigration in any case.

Unfortunately we have failed to undo the influence of the English Government upon Irish society, so we’re stuck with English as opposed to our own native language which is part of our own Irish culture, which formed the basis of many of our stories, art, traditions and beliefs. There are pockets of it around the country, and it’s still taught badly in Irish schools. Can’t blame the English for that one, that’s due to a more Roman influence, founded on beliefs which gained popularity in the Middle East about ohhh, 2,000 or so years ago by way of a brown-skinned Middle Eastern Jew (apparently!) -

Let’s face it, your statement that a lot of immigrants couldn’t survive without help from the Irish taxpayer, is bullshìt. When not being discriminated against and they have the same opportunities as anyone else in Irish society, immigrants not only survive, but they thrive, and contribute to Irish society in the same way as anyone else - some immigrants contribute more, some immigrants contribute nothing, no different than Irish people already - some Irish people contribute more to Irish society, some Irish people contribute nothing. Anyones contribution to Irish society isn’t based upon either their citizenship or immigration status.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

We have the same argument in the UK. However it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny....

We import people from the third world that dont speak english and dont have any skills we need. There's absolutely no way they pay more in tax than they take from the taxpayer...

Denmark's prime minister has stated that they want zero more asylum seekers - they've had more than enough cultural enrichment! According to some of the lads on here Denmark's loss will be Ireland's gain- god bless them!

https://www.thelocal.dk/20210122/danish-prime-minister-wants-country-to-accept-zero-asylum-seekers/

• Advertisement

Did you even bother to read your own article this time? If there’s one thing that keeps left-leaning politicians in power, it’s aping right-wing politics to decimate support for right-wing parties.

Frederiksen in 2019 -

Frederiksen “has refused to make concrete promises, except when it comes to immigration,” Politiken said. For that, her pledge is to keep tough curbs passed by the current government in place.

Under pressure from the far-right, Denmark has spent the last two decades cracking down on immigration all in the aim of protecting its prosperity and social cohesion.

Until recently these policies earned stern criticism from the left, including the largest party, the Social Democrats.

The party is led by Frederiksen, who herself has been a stern critic of Denmark's tough stance towards immigrants. 

In the early 2000s, she denounced Denmark's policy as one of the “toughest in Europe”.

But eyeing power Frederiksen changed tack and the move paid off as her party topped the vote ahead of the Liberals.

Frederiksen in 2021:

The PM said that she wanted to reduce asylum applications in Denmark to zero during comments in parliament.

“That’s what our target is. Of course, we can’t promise it,” she said.

“We can’t promise zero asylum seekers but we can create a vision, like we did before the election, that we want a new asylum system and then do what we can to implement it,” she continued.

It’s not really a novel approach, politicians tell people what they think people want to hear all the time in order to gain or maintain power. What’s novel about this approach is it’s insincerity - don’t promise anything, don’t have to deliver on anything either, and still hope to be re-elected in 2023. Fredriksen has managed to create a Land of Promises that her party clearly has no intention of delivering on.

Advertisement