Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Pixel 6/Pixel 6 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Mines like that since the 28th. Nothing on an post yet, still no text from Google either that my headphones even shipped

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Headphones just arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭micks_address

Where are you based? What / when did your tracking update. Delivered via an post?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Dublin 8, came with AnPost Tracking updated to received on the 29th and out for delivery this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

An Post have mine in Dublin, but I'm Limerick, so it'll probably go out for delivery tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,523 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Looks like Google won't be fixing the December update until late January:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Picked one up from Vodafone today. It's unlocked. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭TheRona

So the official word is to factory reset and then revert to the November update I guess. Would love to know the percentage of affected users. It's obviously not significant enough to make them push an emergency patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I've ordered mine. Hopefully delivered tomorrow. Although I'm thinking of selling it and buying the pro 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Six days to get from Dorsten to Ireland is some lag. Won't be getting mine till next week if mine follows a similar timeframe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Hopefully be shorter for you as mine was over the xmas break, there isn't as much down time over the new year break :)

Still no news of the headphones unfortunately although on a positive note I got the new Pixel stand which arrived quickly as it was dispatched from Dublin. It's handy as you get the 30 watt charger and the stand for wirelessly charging devices. Although one minor annoyance is, you can't charge your phone while it is horizontal so no watching videos in horizontal mode while lying in bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭opus

I had a parcel sent from Germany last year that according to tracking sat in the sorting centre in Dublin for over a week. Contacted them to find it was really in Little Island in Cork but wasn't moving from there either, eventually they said I could go collect it myself which I did so three weeks after it was sent I got hold of it. They never explained why it hadn't been delivered. The experience made my friends in Germany never use DHL again to send parcels as they hand stuff over to An Post & wash their hands of it, UPS is preferred carrier now.

No fix for the signal issue until late Jan I read & the Dec update is no more.

https://www.androidpolice.com/google-pixel-6-bug-tracker/

Appalling customer service from Google. I can't make phone calls on their phone, and have to wait over a month for a fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

It's just so so bad. There are enough impacted that they pull the update and yet no urgency to help those who are.

It is terrible customer service, but you don't have to wait to fix it.

Just back up your phone, reset it and revert to November update.

Not having a go at you, but unfortunately we live in a society where nobody is proactive in solving their own issues, even with everyone having the internet at their fingertips. People would prefer to moan on the internet when that time could be spent fixing the issue.

It's crazy to me that people are living with this issue for weeks, when they could have reverted to a fully functioning phone almost immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

That's a nonsense of a post and you are having a go.

Some people aren't comfortable going into the back end of phones and messing with the software and shouldn't be expected to have to do so.

I've switched out to a functioning phone until I get the nod that the thing is working.

Almost everyone knows someone who is comfortable doing it. Knowing there is someone here that already reverted over a week ago, I'm sure they'd be more than willing to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Ryath

I'm comfortable doing it and am the one asked to to do this stuff by family members and still haven't flashed it. It's not too much work to flash it but does make a more work having to set up apps again. The 2 step authentication and banking apps can take a good few steps. It's all hassle that should be avoided by Google offering a OTA flash to downgrade to the November software.

Expecting customers to live with it for 6 weeks or flash it themselves is nonsense. The large cohort of people are not comfortable even changing settings and doing normal updates from the amount of basic stuff I'm asked to do on phones. I'd say the majority of people don't even have a computer to do from. Are google going to cover it under warranty if someone bricks their phone?

I've been using my 4a out and about carrying the Pixel 6 too if I wanted the camera. I've been home most of the time since the update so it hasn't been to much hassle but I'm heading away for few days in January and really don't want to have to carry two devices so may be forced to flash it.

Google really better offer some compensation for this, we are very much a google device household but how this has been handled by Google will have me considering other options when I buy new devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭mossie

I rolled back to the November firmware after a few days off trying every "solution" to the December problems. The main hassle was logging in to all my various accounts after.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

What cases are you guys using on the pixel 6?

Have two Spigen cases that I'm quite happy with amazon Germany is handiest place get them.

Slim rugged armour one and the bulkier wallet one that I can carry my drivers licence and a credit card in which save me carrying a wallet a lot of the time.

https://www.amazon.de/stores/page/04E5E68E-41D9-461D-8154-C49146D1B658

Using this one, good grip and protection.

Caseology Vault Case Compatible with Google Pixel 6 - Urban Grey https://www.amazon.de/dp/B096TBB839/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_D5J5N9QMTRGFPDGR2VE9?psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭beardo81

I'm of the same mind as you. Super pissed at Google about this, the very VERY minimum expectation of any phone is that it can make and receive calls. It's absolutely indefensible.

Update only at end of January? Farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭wassie

To those who have downgraded, has the fingerprint sensor performance been rolled back also?

If so I'm happy to wait it out as Im only affected by cell connectivity only in certain areas of my house. Improved biometric security has been a godsend and is such a timesaver that I wouldnt want to revert.

Yeah it's back to pre update performance for me but I had no phone signal at home and I can put up with the fingerprint issue for now.

Are the phone issues only with the 6? I've the pro and have had no issues

• Advertisement

Both 6 and 6Pro are affected. It's hard to judge what percentage of users are. It seems to be a minority, some report no difference others have said their signal actually improved with the December update! It's mostly a European issue as Google had pushed the OTA update here first and to very few in the USA. From looking at reddit and elsewhere plenty have sideloaded the December update some with no issues but again plenty are complaining of connectivity issues. I'd imagine if more in the USA had been affected this would have been fixed a lot quicker.

Found another thread to vent on seeing as the issue tracker one is closed after 1000 comments!

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/140688612/very-poor-or-no-signal?hl=en

Bit of movement on my headphones, they're in Ireland. Hopefully they'll arrive Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Looking for wee bit of advice. Now do I just press the Blue button and hope for the best. Any advanced options I should select ??

I downloaded the Google USB drivers but Microsoft wont install, says best driver already installed. Could this be a problem, if so is there a way to force installation ?

Not at all happy blindly following instructions, real voyage into the unknown.

Thanks

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I would've thought that you just do a factory reset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

No you need to flash the November build, factory reset would still be on December. When I did factory reset it did nothing for my connection issues, only complete roll back solved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

Afaik a factory reset only restores you to a clean version of the currently installed firmware and not to a previous version. I think to revert though, you do effectively have to factory reset along the way. Tbh, while I've had one or two instances of signal issue, the problem doesn't affect me badly so I've not looked up the procedure for the Pixel 6 but I'm sure that there are good guides out there on xda developers and the likes

Yeah, this is what I did, walks you through step by step

This is the problem, the vast majority of people don't know what they're supposed to do to get connectivity back. If they aren't going to fix this for weeks, Google should be issuing a step by step guide so that even a novice can work their way through it. Their handling of this has been disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

It took me about 5 seconds to find this - they do provide instructions here:

https://developers.google.com/android/images

I'm sure with some further use of a search engine of your choice, you could find a guide that further breaks this down. There are probably video guides on YouTube too.

The process naturally cannot be made super simple or frankly you'd probably just have many more posts here of people who'd messed up their phones trying this simply because they could!

If anyone who's affected cannot follow these instructions then the odds are you know a nerd/techy/whatever that can and will do it for you.

Going by reports above, there will be no fix from Google in the short term and so if you find yourself badly affected by these issues and have no spare device to fall back on then you really should try to flash back to November image. You will need to wipe the phone in the process so back up first.

If you don't want to flash and you don't want to wipe then, I'm sorry, but you are stuck. I doubt that anyone here would disagree that Google are not handling this well at all and I am surprised at their lack of response. I can live with the issue as I'm not badly affected but obviously there are those that are. There may be avenues open to such people to return their phones to whatever vendor that they were purchased from under the grounds that they are not fit for purpose but I've seen no posts here related to that so I'm not sure how that will go but it's worth exploring if someone has become that exasperated. Anyone who got the phone as part of a contract may be able to enlist the help of ComReg but will have to engage with their mobile operator and jump through their hoops first.

Perhaps anyone who has pursued above could report how they got on? Although I imagine many will not have done so as it might jeopardise their free headphones but maybe there are some...?

There are Citizen information and Consumer Rights groups to try as well. They may have some advice or approach that can be taken with this in regards to dealing with Google customer services.

While I recognise the frustration, there's no one here who can fix the issue for any of you beyond recommending flashing back to November and that involves following the flashing process. Alas there's no magic button other than waiting for next update in a few weeks time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I notice my Bose have arrived in the country too, I'd imagine they'll be here on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Anyone know anywhere I can walk in to and get a decent Pixel 6 Pro case in Dublin, Wicklow tomorrow. Ordered online and between phantom "In Stock" from online reseller, I want to get something before I use my phone which arrived 4 days ago.

My Bose have also updated to "the shipment has left the import parcel centre in the destination country/area". An post tracking still inactive though?

Presume this meant it has left Dublin en route to cork / portlaoise. Doubt they'll be here tomorrow though, probably Tuesday.

It's odd, my An Post tracking had the headphones sorted in Dublin on Jan 1, but I checked tonight and now the site says they have no info. Regardless I'd expect them on Tuesday

EDIT - arrived this morning, surprised An Post was delivering today.

Post edited by DoubleJoe7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

That's interesting, I'm the same. Saw the status yesterday but it's disappeared this morning. Presume it might arrive today or tomorrow then fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My headphones arrived this morning wit An Post.

Mine arrived to... Thought it be tomorrow. Ah well nice to get them for free

Just out of interest, was it the regular post man delivered them or a dedicated parcel an post delivery van, we get both usually!

Had the post man come with a different, smaller package this morning.

Was still in bed and he left outside the door. The joy of a video doorbell. Don't think it was the regular postman. Was definitely an post though

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Still waiting on my headphones, my claim was approved on 11/11 so the 60 days are nearly up. I checked the 'Track Your Claim' page again this morning and it just says 'Claim Approved' and I the last update was 25/11

Just trying out the headphones. I had the Sony xm3 and sold them a while ago as wasn't really using them. I'd say the Bose are as good if not better at noise cancellation. Not sure about sound quality yet but I'd say they not far off

• Advertisement
Advertisement