Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Our company gives out the salary reviews at the end of March. A fair few colleagues ive been talking to who were trying to buy in the last 6 months just stopped looking in October because new just supply stopped around then. They are all waiting for the salary reviews before they establish how much they can borrow and will be off on the merry go round again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Do you see any issues with property being a hedge against inflation?

Daft report would suggest general inflation outpacing house price inflation in Dublin?

Rents are at record levels, at some point supply has to eat into inflation in rents.

For almost 30 years housing inflation has been near multiples of general inflation. At some point there has to be a re-balancing

It would appear that housing has swallowed up savings and improvements in other areas of our lives through rent and price increases. A period of sustained general inflation could be the trigger for re-balance this situation

Some banks in the UK are allowing certain sectors borrow 7 times income (mainly public sector workers). Globally things are getting frothy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I agree that had some point supply in rents will cause a drop in rents but that is a long way off as not enough properties are being built.

prices. A sustained period of general inflation will only lead to higher house prices because workers will be looking for cost of living increases which will increase salaries and wages which will mean the can borrow more and push up house

People think that if we have inflation it will lead to higher rates which will mean that people will struggle to repay their debt. But they forget about the fact that wages increase as a result of inflation and the repayments as a % of salary reduces which provides room for any increase in interest rates.

property is a good hedge against inflation because you can be guaranteed house prices will increase because wages and salaries increase which means that people will be able to borrow more which will lead to higher house prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭PommieBast

High staff turnover due to lack of accommodation was a problem long before Covid-19 came to town. Writing was on the wall when EA's started using Brexit to pump up prices back in 2017. I've no doubt that the way the Irish immigration service basically went into complete shutdown in itself has also caused people to stay overseas.

• Advertisement

A 5% increase in wages = 2.5% increase in take home pay after tax

Many people in the rental sector are middle to low income in sectors hardest hit by covid. Will those businesses survive and be able to pay inflation linked wages plus high rents

I'd agree historically property has been an inflation hedge, but 30 odd years of being way above general inflation has to have consequences

Middle to lower income will suffer the most in a high inflation environment.

whether you like it or not if we are in a high inflation environment we will see house prices rise…that is just basic economics. Even after tax in your example house prices would still rise by 5% because the LTI limit is on gross pay.

personally I don’t see the high inflation lasting long term unless we see oil go to 200usd a barrel or the government’s start spending big money converting to a green environment. if inflation is persistent then rates will rise 50-75bps and slow down the economy and possibly cause a recession in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The government is already spending like there's no tomorrow, paying people to sit at home, businesses not to trade, hoisting cash onto renters and homebuyers in different forms of grants. Our national debt is rocketing and COVID lit a rocket under government spending to send it to the stratosphere. The government is now stuck in this high spending mode where winding it down will lead to a small or large collapse in the economy bit continuing with it will keep pushing inflation higher. A strong feeling of sunk cost fallacy and that they've gone this far so to turn back would be even worse than continuing on this path. There are so many pressure points and elevated risk areas in the economy I really wouldn't want to be the person charged with cooling some of the overheated, riskier parts of the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

I have looked at the commencement and granted permissions. It seems there are large numbers of rental apartments will be hitting the Dublin market. I think we currently moving to over 5000 of new rental apartments a year in Dublin alone. Dublin REITs market currently growing very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

With the rents they are charging it is hard to see who is going to rent them in many cases. Government through HAP (or similar type of scheme)? Corporates for their staff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

High rents are a big factor affecting young peoples disposable income.

Another blow to the hospitality and retail sectors.

I think from REIT's largest share will be rented to private individuals. I would be surprised if HAP or Corporates would be the dominant.

I thought I had read something previously about a REIT looking to do a deal with the government for multiple units

Edit: This is what I was thinking of when I made the previous comment

https://www.thejournal.ie/drumcondra-rental-units-5597489-Nov2021/

I wouldn't be surprised at all, that number of Built-to-rent apartment would be leased to DCC.

DCC are in a bit of a bind. Requirement to house a lot of people but politically difficult for them to line the pockets of REITs etc. Interesting times ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

As far as I know it takes 2 years normally to go through the legal system to evict a tenant who is no longer paying rent There may be delays in the court system due to the effects of the pandemic social distancing rules on cases being processed etc my friend is a landlord he would only take single people working for certain company's or nurses etc so he always got paid rent on time every week

Thats exactly who will be renting them.

I know for a fact Fingal coco have been making deals to lease apartments even before the ground is broken on building them.

You would find more private residents, than council housing residents in REITs. There are lots of professional foreigners.

I know my company has been renting apartments and they are still empty for the last year. Though they are only paying half rent while they are empty.

They believe they will fill them with contractors and foreign workers once covid is finished. They also rented a heap of houses and apartments off staff at full price.

Yes, I know as well a case where Corporate provide rental properties to employees/contractors. And they may fill those apartments. And even they may increase the share in REIT's to attract new employees, and bring more immigration. But it's a big chance that they won't be able to absorb that much of rentals coming online, nor the Council housing, thus the majority of REIT's likely fall to the hands of private tenants.

• Advertisement

Nearly time to start the 2022 Irish property chat and have our predictions for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Who else is paying 2300-2600 on a 2 bed apartment?

Has to be corpo.

What that would mean for large number of rental apartments coming on stream? Large scale movement for Corps to provide free apartments to their employees?

Besides there are 2 bed apartments for 2000 Eur/month provided by REITs as well, believe or not there are people paying that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

Was talking to a few foreign students there before Christmas, 8 of them are renting out a 2 bed apartment and paying €2100 per month in total.

A three bed house in our estate went for rent at €2400, 6 people are sharing the house to pay the rent.

I would say corporations will be in the minority, the rest are just turning into slum landlords to make as much money as possible from rents.

Evidence of how one particular sector is a pure leech on the economy. Any gains are hoovered up by housing.

If it were anything else that was such a drain on the economy, everything would be thrown at it to fix it pronto and I don't mean cash

Gains will be eaten up by normal inflation…the pay rises just mean they can borrow more as the LTI is on gross salary. All it means is house prices will continue to rise for the next 6-12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

When i say corpo, i mean corporations/council. So businesses + Gov.

I don't know what is more common, empty properties rented by business or 8-10 foreign workers/students crammed into one. Probably the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Insane figures. Hard to see how we dont come across more stories like this one (https://www.businesspost.ie/houses/asian-investors-quit-irish-property-market-as-evergrande-crisis-deepens-f0aef21b ) in coming months. REITS investing in Ireland to take a hit possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,299 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yup, globally, private debts are at an all time high in human history, baring in mind, it was ultimately private debts associated with property markets that caused 08!

• Advertisement

As article is behind a PW is anyone able to say whether these Asian investors were investing in the likes of REIT's (i.e. multi unit places) or individual houses? This would then infer that if they are disposing now of properties it should be either job lots or individual units coming on stream (or have already come on stream?).

Advertisement