Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

How did they head it? They'd the most seats of any individual party for under 5 years. FF/FG combined had far more and were in government. The minister for local authorities and housing was a FG'er.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,647 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is SF blocking the housing time and again look up Oscar Traynor road all SF voted against it on block. I never voted FG until the last election as dearth of candidates in my constituency. Voted for all the parties that said they would not go in with SF. Except FF because they have done a lot of ducking and diving in the past. I had hoped for a FG Labour /SD/ Greens coalition. Would have been a nice mix politically.

To say that FF or FG deserve no praise for anything is myopic. Both parties were involved in sorting out the problem SF/IRA helped create in the NI and the border counties for a start. Ok the Celtic Tiger was started but ran out of control due to worldwide greed and Irish greed as well. But it was not purely an Irish phenomenon. It was a global recession.

FF despite how easy it is for some paint them as bad, were in power in 72 when Ireland joined the EEC. Then shortly after FG took over. EU was crucial in the development of The Republic of Ireland and move it forwards. What was SF / IRA doing in the 70s in contrast?

The way I see it SF / IRA has only ever done two fundamental things:

1) start shooting and 2) stop shooting.

Never declaring a permanent end to death and destruction, just in case. It is always other parties that have had to sort out the problems SF / IRA created.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I never said they didn't I said they'd reason. SD's wouldn't go in with FF/FG. We had a FG/Lab mix and that was monstrous IMO. Gave us IW and cronyism.

Never said they shouldn't, said those not voting for them won't be praising them for anything, regarding your comment that them not going in with SF would be praised. Keep it honest.

And many admire SF for defending the rights of the Irish trapped up north while FF/FG ignored them. Labour even brag about being the last party to leave the north, like it's a badge of honour.

It was the IRA and SF who brought equality and democracy to the north. The violence was needed IMO. I've no interest in getting into the minutia of every event, but if you want me to match every atrocity with other atrocities carried out by the 'legitimate' BA, let's reconvene over in a history forum.

You've yet to address or defend your idea that many young naïve people with poor historical knowledge are how SF are faring so well and not because of the over a decade of crises.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We are on the Sinn Fein thread. Why would someone mentioning Sinn Fein on the Sinn Fein thread be deflecting from the FG performance in government?

Maybe you should take your own advice and answer the question as to what Sinn Fein have ever done for us?

If I remember correctly IRA/SF also quickly put a stop to female IRA operatives acting as honeytraps - is that the equality you are on about? Because basically during the troubles SF piggy backed on the Civil Rights organsations and have since rewrote history to suit a Republican narrative.

Many of the 'new vote' in the ROI who vote for SF do have poor historical knowledge of SF - SF know it. You know it and I know it.

It is why SF target them as potential votes. It is how the 'abú database' works. Go for the hotspots - untapped potential votes. Anyone working class and in their 20's with limited historical knowledge / or do not care about SF's past are easy pickings for SF. Granted there are exceptions. But it no coincidence that

IMO it is not FG or FF that has left the gap politically. But a weak centre left - Labour in Ireland has collapsed. SF can target the working class areas - those who buy into giveaway promises and the narrative of sticking it to 'the establishment'.

It is no coincidence that SF did really well in the working class areas in Dublin Bay North for example - Edenmore etc

It is no coincidence that A O'Snodaigh did really well in - Dublin South Central - which contains working class areas of Ballyfermot, Inchicore, Crumlin and Kimmage

It is no coincidence that SF does NOT have a TD in Dun Laoghaire - O'Brion ran there in 2007 and was unsuccessful (despite being from Cabinteely) - he was instead parachuted in Dublin Mid West after that - which contains Clondalkin / Lucan - working class areas.

So it seems to me that the SF rise seems to be a very select one. Due to populist promises and an anti-establishment spin. (Despite SF been the establishment in Stormont now for a few decades.

For instance the SF spin machine did a number on Labour's Joan Burton - painting her as the 'establishment'. Despite the fact she was born in Stoneybatter and grew up in Inchicore! Yet the SF leader is from the Leafy suburb of Rathgar in Dublin

(Incidentally MLMCD did not run in the Rathgar constituency - Dublin Bay South - which says a lot. MLMD instead runs in the Dublin central constituency - containing working class areas of Ballybough - Cabra etc)

What did SF target Burton? Because she had the temerity to claim SF were rewriting and hijacking the history of the country. SF did not like this so set out on a long and sustained political attack on Burton.

To me SF does not have broad appeal that it would need to get an overall majority in the Dail. They can only attract a certain type of voter in Dublin for example - the working class. And within that cohort the young naive voter or 'new voter' that is how I see it.

By the way I don't agree that violence was necessary that is a SF myth to glorify failure. The Provos failed militarily. Not once inch of territory was gained. The nationalist population having more babies than the Unionists - will be the real key to any UI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

I disagree completely, I think SF voters are well aware of the parties history but don't see it as an issue, I think it's people who are extremely anti SF who are the ones who know very little about the conflict apart from the same old stories posted by the independent week in week out to make Sinn Féin look bad.

It's not a narrative of ''sticking it to the establishment'' it's about the average Irish person trying to take the power back from the elitist population of Ireland FG/FF/RTÉ/the big corporations etc.

It is the big corporations?? It is FDI that has made the country - Google basing themselves in Ireland - tax cuts for the film industry etc. Massive successes. Putting Ireland on the map globally. SF are not able to think global IMO. They only think with a national mindset IMO.

Why has SF only got a very select appeal?

Why is it not showing in the constituencies then? No SF TD's in middle class Dublin. All the ballot boxes seem to point to working class areas from the 2020 GE if I remember correctly. But the article does back up half of my point on naive voters - u35's short memories.

I still don't think SF have broad enough support the above article is an opinion poll.

Well Dublin is a very different place to the rest of Ireland maybe they don't have the middle class vote there but they have it elsewhere.

Dublin is much more based on classism than the rest of Ireland, very different place.

• Advertisement

I didn't grow up in NI. I can't claim to have first hand experience. The best we can do is try glean the facts and draw a conclusion of our own.

Pre conflict there was no equality, no democracy. During there was murder from both sides and innocents were killed by both sides. The legitimate BA aided terrorist murders. This we know.

How do you 'know it'? I can see its convenient for parties not capable of looking at their own actions.

I think it was. I don't care what SF might say. When you are suffering under state sponsored oppression I can understand it.

Again, show your work. Based on a hunch, your waters, the rise in popularity for SF has more to do with youth and ignorance than over a decade of crises? How do you explain the drop in votes and support for others? Darn punk teens? They lost support. That means support they previously had went elsewhere.

I am not sure it completely true because yer man Richard Boyd Barrett has had no problem in getting elected in Dun Laoghaire. And I think that PBP are more left than SF are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

It might be worth your while checking up on the facts of Dublin Bay South (which includes quite a few leafy suburbs like Rathgar, Ranelagh, Rathmines, Sandymount, Terenure) actually has a SF TD (Chris Andrews), who took the second seat in the last general election after the Greens and before FG/FF. And since the bye-election, FG does not have a seat in these leafy suburbs - that Murphy's seat was won by Labour (Ivana Bacik).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

we know all that , my friend .

Thats for the history channel.

Lets concentrate on the present and the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'd question the, 'SF aren't pulling votes from FF/FG, they've just hoovered up the Labour voters' narrative you've posited, GormDubhGorm.

While certainly partially true, it is difficult to see how SF could be polling at ~35% by hoovering up the votes of a party who haven't had above 20% of first preference votes since 1922, who haven't been in double figures since 2011.

The argument could be quite strong for the 2011 to 2016 period, where Labour dropped 13% and SF gained 4%, but it would seem that the majority of that Labour vote went elsewhere in 2016.....and Labour just haven't had the numbers to explain SF's increases since then.

As for FF and FG, in that time they've gone from a 2011 combined share of first preference votes of 53.5% to 43.1% in 2020, the drops correlating more strongly with the SF rise, at least during the 2016 (49.8%) to 2020 period.

From the 2020 election to current polling, FF/FG went from a combined 43.1% to a currently projected ~40%, while SF have gone from 24.5% to currently projected at ~35%, so it would appear that the most recent tranche of people intending to vote SF aren't coming so much from FF/FG, but rather from a mixture of places including the Greens, who are suffering from the usual junior government partner haemorrhage of voters.

I suppose my long drawn out point is that it is a bit of an ostrich-esque head in the sand act, combined with an overly simplified take on things to suppose that SF have only hoovered up centre left voters, when in the last 10 years, they've increased their figures from 9.9% to currently polling at 35%, during which time FF/FG have gone from a combined vote of 53.5% to currently polling at 40%.

Anyone voting civil war party are smart...up until they vote SF. Then they become young and unaware of history.

Housing, health and cronyism don't come into it.

SF and the PIRA did nothing to help anyone.

Gerry Adams has admitted that the PIRA moved rapists and child abusers on to other jurisdictions rather than have them brought to justice. They also terrorised their own community with punishment beatings and kneecapping. Some equality and democracy that they brought to the North.

Anybody who thinks otherwise is being fooled by republican propaganda.

Now this is interesting. There has been speculation for many years as to how Sinn Fein built up so much funding that it could buy so much property. Are the Libyans the only deeply despotic corrupt regime that gave financial assistance to the IRA (and presumably Sinn Fein), or is this something we will never know?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Among the many other things we will never know B.

something going on there for sure, most of the usual SF motormouths haven’t been heard of over the last two weeks.

Poor Lynn might struggle for her third big wedge job.

My guess is they are scouring the country for ‘name ‘ candidates.

Thats a very negative opinion. Lots of people seem to disagree on both sides of your border.

• Advertisement

I doubt it. I heard the yanks did too. This all news to you? You do know this is all pre 1998? When you're labelled a terrorist organisation its tough to secure a loan from the credit union. Forget about masquerading as a charity to throw a raffle. I'd donate to the Palestinians cause myself. Like SA apartheid its always 'unlawful' when you oppose state sanctioned oppression.

Back to your history though. This would be after Haugey, a member of the government was involved in smuggling arms for the IRA but relevant.

The invitation came in January 1980 from Saddam Hussein’s second-in-command Izzat Ibrahim just six weeks after Haughey became taoiseach.

It was also four months after, as revealed many years later during the Moriarty tribunal, Haughey as minister for finance had offered AIB a deposit of £10 million from an Iraqi bank owned and controlled by the Republic of Iraq (effectively Saddam Hussein).

the state supported this kind of dealing but let's stick to 40 plus years ago and comparing apples to oranges. Helps vent the pretend outrage.

We'd even one prominent party support a Spanish fascist dictator. History is interesting.

Post edited by Brucie Bonus on

It's only cronyism when it is Irish people it seems - Ray Burke, Haughey et al. When it is a shady as f**k Libyan dictator gives the equivalent to 40m euro in today's money to the IRA. Sure that's grand it's all part of the glorious struggle! Makes the likes of Burke and Haughey liable for sainthoods in comparison!

We then have to start looking at 'The Friends of SF' who were/are aimed at the gullible American market.

If SF do get in power they will have to distance themselves fast from all this craic. Really take the 'hard edges' off. Can they become FF 1930's quick enough is the question? The other question is do the voting public care?

For me personally, although FF under Martin has shown impressive leadership thus far IMO. I just can't bring myself to vote FF given all the historical ducking and diving. By the same token I have similar issues with SF. Except it is on another level - but couched in terms of 'the struggle'.

FF could end up looking like the lesser of two evils as far as I am concerned if I have no other viable alternative. Unless of course SF start being more open less secretive. Allow dissent in the party etc. Plus SF's record on housing in Dublin City Council has been a fecking joke. I have been watching closely. In other words become a normal political party and not talking out of two sides of their mouth - constantly. Myself as a voter need to know where SF actually stands now. Not saying one thing and doing another.

All these type of things have to change for me. Before I would even consider voting SF. Then there are loads more issues on top of that I have to wrestle with. Which are the much broader issues right down to using the name of states they are representing to praise of ALL Republicans even those who murdered Gardai etc.

If SF do get in power I will have to accept it that is democracy, I won't be getting the shotgun from out under the bed, along with a hurl - just in case. Unlike many of SF's comradai who did not do the same, when things didn't go as they wished.

Most of the usual SF motormouths haven’t been heard of over the last two weeks.

Its like the part in the Oscars were they role the names of those we lost in 2021.

You commended it the other week. Join the dots mo chara.

I fundamentally believe in a zero tolerance attitude towards undemocratic actions and abuses of power by any and all arms of a state. That's the basis of my ideology with regard not just to The Troubles, but the general question of when it's justified for a protest movement to take up arms and when it is not.

Do you suggest people petition the authorities for permission to rise up?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Absolutely not. If a peaceful march, demonstration or protest is officially banned for political reasons, such a ban should be ignored. If that ban is then enforced with violence by state actors, which subsequently goes unpunished, that state is no longer legitimate and anybody wearing its uniform is, like it or not, an agent of a rogue state and a legitimate target in the (justified) violent uprising that follows.

Prohibiting peaceful protest and enforcing that prohibition with violent force is simply unacceptable, and if it happens, it is entirely justified for t he protesters to respond in kind with violence of their own. That is the only way in which tyrants can be prevented from taking and maintaining power.

Or, to take a rather famous film quote, “people should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people”.

To those who suggest that the RUC was not an arm of an oppressive state, have any of you seen the incredibly famous video from the NICRA march in which a protester demands that the police cease their attacks, finishing by saying “God save us” and being immediately decked with a baton? That, to me, is the moment at which anyone with a shred of human decency should have resigned from the RUC in disgust on the insistence that those responsible be prosecuted for assault. And anyone who failed to do so chose to wear the uniform of that, from that moment onwards, had declared itself a rogue paramilitary power in support of an illegitimate government.

Why is Sinn Féin so pro Russia

They invaded crimea, yet SF mep's voted against sanctions

They're silent on the threat to Ukraine and sent representatives to the inauguration of the Venezuela president who cheated the electorate there and has his people in abject poverty

The crimea Ukraine pro Russian empire thing is the height of hypocrisy

Not a normal party

Why are they so pro USA and France etc? What exactly do you want Sinn Féin to do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

And govt parties pro Saudi, Israel and China.

Not normal parties.

Are they? Can you link some statements or such? Currently Ireland allows Putin and Russian oil affiliates use the country to legally launder money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Oh FFS, is the Red Scare 2.0 coming to Ireland now as well? It's been an absolutely f*cking pathetic political tactic in the United States since 2016, used by pro-establishment actors to deflect blame for their own policy failings and subsequent electoral failings. What's next - "Sinn Fein is surging in popularity because Russia 'hacked' our elections by posting memes on social media"?

This is a classic example of the Irish establishment once again refusing to engage with the policy issues driving the surge towards SF and youth disaffection. It is absolutely, mind numbingly pathetic on every level.

So many attacks on SF by both of the current governing parties (I'm leaving out the Greens here since they're so very quiet on pretty much everything these days) and yet not once have I heard any of them address why the public are pissed - AKA, the cost of living and the perceived injustice in the distribution thereof.

Martin and Varadkar, instead of asking questions of SF that your average angry voter finds utterly, incomprehensibly irrelevant to their day to day lives, why don't you tell us why the ever-spiralling cost of living relative to take-home pay for middle and lower income individuals and families, which you have repeatedly touted as "recovery" in economic terms, is something voters should be happy about and thank you for rather than telling you to go f*ck yourselves at the earliest opportunity?

This is the only, and I really do mean only, relevant issue for SF's newfound voter base. They don't give a flying bollocks about anything else, and it genuinely astounds me that after three full years of plummeting popularity, the current ruling parties still haven't apparently figured this out.

I actually have somewhat more respect for FG in this regard. Through statements from the liked of Eoghan Murphy and Leo on rentier capitalism ("one man's rent is another man's income", etc) they have honestly admitted that they serve one class of voters at the expense of others. That respect diminishes when they lash out after bruising elections and opinion polls, but at least there's some level of self-awareness going on. FF though? I honestly don't get it. They may at one time have considered themselves the party of ordinary people, and maybe on occasion prior to the 1990s this was true to some extent in terms of public funding for public services and infrastructure (marred obviously by scandal, corruption and outright thievery of public money), but they are in lockstep with FG on neoliberalism as the only viable economic model. FG at least own that. FF are a conundrum.

Advertisement