Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools to close again.. Covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

🤣 We had house exams way too early so that definitely dragged out. Would prefer if they were sitting exams up to the last day and suffer the corrections during Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Are schools going to reopen on the 6th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

No word yet.

It's surely unlikely I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Dept of Ed confirmed today that they will. Who would doubt their integrity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Where did they confirm this? I didn't see anything on the gov.ie site - was it in a statement somewhere?

Not doubting you, was just unaware that they had commented at all

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Havent heard about this.

Think it really depends on things look on the 2nd/3rd.

Honestly think its 50/50. Hope we open. Online teaching sucks.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭History Queen

I think we'll open. I'm basing that on nothing concrete, just my gut feeling.

I think we might open, but will we stay open? Today alone, 6 businesses in and around my locality have had to close because too many staff members are out as close contacts. I've not seen that level of disruption before now. How is that going to work in a school setting? Things were getting rocky enough as it was around Dec time. At the rate things are going now, we'd be through what S&S we have left in a fortnight max.

Add to that the potentially very high absenteeism rates amongst students and you would have to wonder what the point would be opening up (for mainstream, non-exam classes anyway)

Either way, I'd suggest getting the examination numbers of your Leaving Cert students into numerical order to save yourself some time in May .....

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Going to cut across your BS now. My childrens' school did the Sunday night email with a list of work for the week remote teaching during lockdown.

So don't pretend it's an urban myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Oh, well then clearly that’s what every teacher in every school did. I stand corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

I didn't say every teacher or school. I clearly stated that in my childrens' school this is what happened. You are implying this carry on is an urban myth.

It's not, it's happened. And I'd wager it's happened more than you'd like to accept.

Yeah. That's the only way I can see it happening. With the way my personal circumstances are, I would have no problem being exempt from it. But I'd be amazed if they got it past the unions as I can't see it being a runner for all (which is totally fair enough)

Edit: I also wonder will the can be kicked further down the line and will ETBs be allowed to make their own decisions on their schools?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

With a record 20,554 new cases today, and with the RTÉ guy reporting tonight that the HSE people expect the peak to be in 7-10 days, and with schools due to open this day week/in seven days, I'd imagine they'll delay the opening for a few days at least rather than send so many people travelling to meet in schools in the peak of Covid.

The Netherlands has already "extended the school holidays" (https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/omicron-spreads-global-gloom-years-celebrations-81954355)

• Advertisement

Whatever they do, they'll be sure to announce it past the 11th hour, with zero notice for everyone involved

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The state of the facebook group about alerting parents of outbreaks. Pure Karens running the page.

Jesus if the ETBs get a chance to get competitive about it who knows what could happen 👀👀👀 #myetbisbetterthanyouretb 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

The one email a week thing happened in multiple schools both primary and secondary. Teachers here don’t like hearing this (and will defend lazy colleagues to the death) but it did happen and was fairly widespread. I did it myself with no consequences!!!

And if schools close again it’ll happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

20K a day (and God knows what the actual figure is with PCR tests so hard to get) isn't the peak, jeepers...

• Advertisement

What makes you so sure that there were no consequences?

What consequences were there for teachers who didn’t do anything during lockdown? I know plenty and nothing happened to them. They’ll do the same 1 email/week again next lockdown (if even that).

There will never be real consequences when other teachers circle the wagons and protect other teachers.

Forget other teachers for a second. You said that you delivered a sub-par education to the students that you are contracted to educate, "with no consequences."

What makes you so confident that your actions had no consequences?

Well, for a start, unless you are ordinarily a really sh1t teacher, it sounds like you did your students a massive disservice.

No idea to be honest - just don't remember. But it's mentioned also towards the bottom of the main story on the RTE news app in the "it is believed" sense. Means nothing of course. They maintained last year until the 11th hour that schools would reopen and it was a lie.

I have been of the view since early December, from various signs (I know for example that schools were allocated money towards online learning just before Christmas, arrangements for Easter orals were announced before Christmas, and the Dept - in a moment of weakness - mentioned at Christmas about reopening but also "preparing for all eventualities") that schools wouldn't open in the new year. But I got tired of being told by people that "they wouldn't close again" or "I can't see that ever happening" so just went with "of course they'll open"/"they'll have to open" since that. We'll soon see what actually happens. Maybe I'm wrong but the government will have to have given up on the pandemic to open schools in the current scenario. It'd now be reckless to do so.

Post edited by Rosita on

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Don't know why they don't extend the school year into the summer or even knock a week off the Easter Holidays this year.

Delay the return until the peak has passed so probably end of January.

Stop targeting me personally for a minute.

Are you saying that ALL teachers who did 1 email a week to students were “sh1t” and did “a massive disservice” to their students?

Have you called this out in person to any teachers? Or are you just happy enough staying behind your keyboard are targeting me?

I know, you did maintain they would close and I was one of those who was telling you no way! But now, I'm not so sure any more! There is a headline in the Irish Mirror (I know!) saying that cabinet are having a "crunch meeting" to discuss schools, but then when you read the article, there is actually nothing in it about schools at all.

Something in the IT from a principal saying that the unions are waiting to hear what the Dept comes up with.

But nothing of substance really.

A colleague of mine with union connections is certain schools will stay closed. I got plenty of flack from other teachers for saying this before Christmas but it is being discussed from what I’m hearing at least.

• Advertisement

On the point about having students in numerical order.........I actually think that scenario will now unfold whether schools reopen or not. It has already been raised publicly (Colm O'Rourke in the Sindo & and A. Ó Ríordáin in the Dáil) and there'll be huge absenteeism among students and teachers if schools go back in person. That snowball is rolling already.

There is no other teacher on this forum bragging about having logged in to fire off "one email a week" and have gotten away with it. You have come here and put yourself forward as the poster girl for them. I'm not targeting you, you have put yourself out here.

If another poster came here and said what you are saying, I would ask them to explain themselves too.

I didn't call you a sh1t teacher. What I said was that unless you are a sh1t teacher, then you did your students a disservice by giving them such crappy access to education while they were online.

It may be the case that for some students who received just one email a week from their teacher, the effort level was no greater than what would have went into a week's work if they were in school in person, so no harm done then (or is there?)

I will say one thing though - and this is why I think you are a troll - it is one thing to be too lazy to be ar$ed doing your job properly, but it's a whole other ball game to simultaneously go to the effort of bragging about that fact. Online. To strangers. At midnight. During your holidays.

I mean, how does that even work? Too lazy to teach when being paid to do it, but all about hanging out in the teaching forum when you're on your holidays. It's really odd behaviour and if you are for real, you are the single biggest reason why a personality test should be introduced in the teaching profession

Edited to add: No, I don't think that all teachers who did one email a week to their students are sh1t teachers. A close friend of mine did it. But she had no other choice because she had her children at home during lockdown and one of them was very young. But, she didn't go around boasting about it. She felt awful about it. And since September she has been doing Friday afternoon catch up classes with her exam year groups in the hopes of making up some of the time. Should she have to do this? Absolutely not, but the point is that she wants to. She has a work ethic.

I'd be one of the first to argue with the notion that teaching is a vocation, but seriously, anyone who rang it in over the lockdown without a seriously good excuse has no business being in the business.

There is so much gaslighting, personal digs, and inaccuracies in your post I genuinely don’t know where to start. So I won’t!

I’m sure many will find it interesting that you didn’t answer my question btw.

Anyway, no point in engaging with you further as your agenda is clear. Enjoy the rest of your holidays :)

Edit: ok, your edit does answer my question. But that sorta raises more questions, like why are you attacking me but defending your friend? You have no idea of my personal circumstances so I assume you are attacking me because I’m speaking out and being honest and you don’t like that for some reason. Also very interesting that you suggest that teachers who have young children should not have to do online teaching. I wonder what parents would think about that?

You are right, I didn't answer your question, but I had edited it since you quoted it because I had forgotten. My answer is back up there if you care to read it.

I will absolutely enjoy the rest of my holidays. I have truly deserved them.

Yup, I’ll enjoy mine too and hope schools don’t close again.

Btw I’m not going to point out the huge, glaring irony, double standards, arrogance and obvious bias in your posts … I’m sure that readers will see that clearly enough. I’m also not going to report your personal insults.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Will schools reopen? I don't think so. Allowing a few extra weeks for vaccinations and boosters at that age group might be what they are trying to do. Given how many have had Covid in the past few weeks though, that might not even work. If the numbers stay ridiculously high and the numbers in both the hospitals and the ICU remain so high, I cannot see schools reopening. Opening schools with record numbers going on would be ridiculous, opening the windows won't be enough in reality and the numbers could sky rocket. Absenteeism was ridiculous in the week before Christmas, what will it be like on the 6th?

Apparently there will be meetings on Wednesday, which makes sense given their lastminute.com approach to schools.

Just in case Bananaleaf edits their post I want to quote what she/he said about teachers who didn’t engage with students during the last lockdowns:

”I don't think that all teachers who did one email a week to their students are sh1t teachers. A close friend of mine did it. But she had no other choice because she had her children at home during lockdown and one of them was very young.”

Parents, do you think this is an acceptable attitude from teachers? They don’t need to teach during school closures if they have other responsibilities?

This is a common enough attitude among teachers, and a great example of teachers defending other teachers who did nothing for their students during lockdown.

LOL. I won't be editing my post. So, if they do wish to read what I said they can read ALL of it, not just the bit you selected.

I know you know the meaning of the word attitude so I won't define it for you here. But the case of my friend is not a case of "attitude". Was it acceptable? No, it wasn't. She knew that herself. It's kinda why the traditional school model has never migrated to online before now. But unless she was going to cage her toddler, there was no other alternative other than an email.

Now I don't know what your email consisted of, but hers was plenty and involved pre-recorded lessons too. It actually wasn't an email either, they were scheduled Google Classroom posts. I just said email for quickness because I didn't realise what a bag of spiders this was going to turn out to be!!

My friend's situation was not ideal and her scenario showed the tragic side to the school closures - where otherwise excellent teachers were resigned to having to work with what they had, feeling immensely guilty about that fact and putting in extra work the following school year in an effort to make up for it.

You are not a teacher. Not because lazy teacher's don't exist, but because a true lazy teacher wouldn't be here 🤣 If you are a teacher then the world has gone even crazier than I thought it had.

I notice that you have been very quick to make yourself a victim out of all this, despite the fact that you opened this entire conversation with the sentence (complete with inference that you have no plans to change your ways):

"The one email a week thing happened in multiple schools both primary and secondary. Teachers here don’t like hearing this (and will defend lazy colleagues to the death) but it did happen and was fairly widespread. I did it myself with no consequences!!!

And if schools close again it’ll happen again."

You are not the victim here. The students who couldn't be further to the backs of their teachers' heads are.

Definitely not a teacher

God it would be awful if they waited until Wed to announce. But I nearly wouldn't expect anything less.

Personally, I don't mind going online again. But I am in a school where it really was business as usual when we were online and there really was no break in learning for the majority. I also don't have family commitments or a lack of wifi that would prevent me from going online. I'm always happy to be given the opportunity to keep myself safe and healthy (I know Omicron is less mild but I'd still prefer not, given the chance) but having said all that I am prepared to return and would (given my personal circumstances) be happy enough to be exempt from the isolation rules.

Looks like the government are going to leave it to the department to make the call. It will be one hell of a New Year's Eve if they pull the 'Friday night circular drop' out of the bag - one last kick up the ass squeezed into 2021!

• Advertisement

Haha … that’s a lot of explaining there banana! And serious levels of revision of what you originally said (lucky we have your original posts!). I must have really hit a nerve!!

Anyway, parents will make up their own mind on your opinion that teachers don’t have to teach online when they have commitments such as children, parents, or pets to look after. Also, you seem to be claiming that teachers shouldn’t have to teach online if they have poor WiFi. Does this include teachers who don’t have laptops? Or are unable to work the tech? Or don’t want students seeing the inside of their houses? Or making recordings of their face or voice available? Or any other excuse????

Wow!! That would be a lot of teachers who wouldn’t have to teach during lockdown so .,,

Your comprehension levels are very poor. No revision whatsoever of what I said. It is literally all the same. To be fair to you though, I did change my vocabulary so I see how that could be confusing.

Maybe it's because it is so late, but I am genuinely not sure if you just wrote all that stuff to try and annoy me or if your comprehension skills are that bad that you really do think that is what I'm saying. I was going to say that I hope it's the former (that's the first one I said), but actually, either one is just as abysmal as the other 😬

It’s very telling that you resort to personal insult and completely fail to address any of my substantive points.

Yes, I agree. I think that at least for as long as Covid is about, it will be a thing. There has to be some safety net in the event that a student got Covid during the exams. I know Norma was putting on resits in July, but it wouldn't be impossible to be out with Covid for both sittings.

I had been thinking up to now that the AG would be there in the background in case they were needed for the likes of a scenario above (everyone must sit exams, but if you have a Covid-related illness then AG kicks in), but I think if we are going to see mass absenteeism as you (correctly imo) predict, then they'll have to be given the choice option, same way last year's cohort were.

God, the thoughts of a predicted grades system being used again. Was any review published of 2020? I remember it being promised but did anything come of it?

Oh actually I don't know if a review was done on it.

I've been expecting having to do it since September tbh, but I honestly thought that this year's cohort wouldn't get the choice to opt for them and instead the LC would revert to being compulsory, the AGs only being reverted to in the event that a student couldn't attend an exam because of Covid

• Advertisement

I've been really hoping to never have to do that rubbish again. I feel it undermines the education system. That being said, I've come to realise that education is fairly far down the list of priorities with The Department of Education so I'm trying to reach acceptance.

I’m sure it was reviewed, or that the review is ongoing (or that the process of having meetings to select a committee to select the committee to select the criteria for the review is underway) but unless whoever’s running the department of education likes the findings, we won’t hear them until they’re released in thirty years.

I never implied that it was an urban myth. I implied that it only happened in a small minority of cases, which is the truth. I don’t know anyone who did it, for example, and I don’t know anyone who’s complained that their child(ren)’s teacher/school did it.

Just because you’re a lazy teacher and proud of it doesn’t mean that it’s widespread.

Whinging that you’re being targeted personally after bragging about doing a bad job doesn’t sound like any teacher I’ve ever met either.

If schools are back by Feb 1st I'll be surprised. I'm expecting most of not all of the first term at home tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement