Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dopesick [Hulu]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'm onto ep-7, will watch it later, not sure if I'll finish it as I like to leave something to watch for another night and I haven't much atm besides this and Dexter

Great series, Keaton is very good and Michael Stuhlbarg also very good as the socially awkward and weird 'villain' of the show - solid performances all-round in this one really

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thank God for German (presumably EU) standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭briany

Brilliant series. Have to give it up to the actor playing Richard Sackler. It's terrific performances all around, but his portrayal stands up there with the best, in my opinion. His speech at the very start about the creation of a new drug for the treatment of moderate and chronic pain reminded me of There Will Be Blood and Daniel Plainview's, "I'm an oil man..." speech. On the surface, it sounds like it's an intention to make the world better, but it doesn't take much insight to sense the great evil and greed behind the words.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭Xander10

what day does new episodes release ?

Aye, that's Michael Stuhlbarg, I mentioned him above, he's been in some good tv stuff - [Boardwalk Empire, Your Honour, Fargo ..] plus a bunch of movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Enjoyed the latest episode on D+.

My main complaint with the show thus far though, is that the majority of scenes with the Sacklers have been a bit comically... evil. Like at the end they should start MWAHAHAHAH!-ing.

Obviously in real life they are definitely a bunch of thunderc*nts who cared about profits above all else and didn't care about the effects of the opioids etc. Absolutely. But for the show, if they are going to play the Sacklers off as being so evil, there's almost no point in showing that to us. Better to have more scenes or even more characters learning about decisions the Sacklers/Purdue have made. Scenes of Mountcastle or Meyer discussing the moves Purdue have pulled with their wife/husband, which also works to tell us more about their personal life.

We're not really learning anything about the Sacklers other than "want more money, drugs good, regulations bad", and because of that the few scenes of family in-fighting and Richie wanting to surpass his father's legacy etc, it just falls flat imo, regardless of how great a performance the actor playing Richie is giving.

Perhaps they were precisely like that? Many filthy rich people are known to be eccentric and completely out of touch with reality, lacking empathy and playing life like it's a game.

Oh definitely, but I think if that's true, then for the show I'm not sure if we really need to see it, and I think the rest of the characters might be served better with more scenes to flesh out their characters where they're learning about or reacting to the decisions the Sacklers/Purdue have made.

We're not really learning anything valuable about those characters or their journeys for the amount of time spent with them.

It's a small quibble, I just don't know if the amount of time spent with the Sacklers is justified, and too many of their big meeting scenes just come across a little cartoony.

Tbh, I preferred their scenes to most of the ones featuring Bridget Meyer ... I just didn't care about her back story and felt that was highlighted way too much. I felt the amount of Stackler scenes was just about right, they are the root and cause of the entire scandal after all. Also, they kept it from getting a bit boring, I mean if the story followed Bridget or Rick & Randy much more than they did I might have dropped out at some point.

Yeah that's true too. More Meyer instead of the Sacklers could have helped her character, but also could have just been more of an annoyance. I nearly would have liked a journalist character/story or something who was following/tracking the Sacklers and the rules/regulations and have that as a side story instead of the Sacklers, but I guess if it wasn't really happening at the time you kinda can't just invent it for the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Looks like Wednesday 22 December on Disney+ searching online as I am waiting to watch the last episode myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Does Kaitlyn Dever ever play roles where she's happy? This, Unbelievable, and even Justified she has a mostly unhappy life in them all. She's a good actress though.

Yeah every Weds is a new ep on Disney+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

caught up with it. That last episode was outstanding.

Really felt for the mother. That moment when when found out about her daughter was some blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Brilliant show. Great acting all round.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm five episodes in. Even if some aspects are cranked up for dramatic effect (including the music), it's still quite a good show. Scary, horrifying, devastating and more. At times I've felt so angry I wish I could reach through the screen and throttle some of them.

One of its strengths is how it captures the fractures in people's relationships, that may well be the saddest part.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Best TV I've watched in a long time, really enjoyed it. First show that depicts addiction that well too. And really accurate portrayal of the regulatory side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Finished this several weeks back, and then went on to watch the Louis Theroux BBC documentary Dark States, about the heroin town, where a lot of folk couldn't get Oxy any more and went on to hard drugs instead as it was cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Finished it and really enjoyed it, timeline got a bit confusing at times but the acting more than made up for it

• Advertisement

Yeah that's one. Though even in that she was struggling with her sexuality. I think she just does a convincing sad girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I guess she just goes with the best material available to her, she is really talented.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Think we need to give a shout out to the soundtrack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this over Christmas and it's the best TV I seen in a long time. The acting from everyone is different class ditto for the script and dialogue. Scary subject matter though.....in the bible it says that the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. It doesn't say money in and of itself is evil but its the love of money that creates the problems. And nowhere is that more true than this story. It was greed and the love of money that drove the Sackler's to create a drug that would enslave and ultimately kill so many people. But what was really scary was how they were protected, the people in power doing everything they could to stop Rick and his team.

Finished this on Sunday. Even spread out over a week or more it's tough going because it's such a rollercoaster, from disgust, to despair and dismay. I let 'FFS' a few times due to what was happening. Thank God for the nun, tbh. The politics would make you sick too. I think folks here are more positive about the show than reviews have been. Yes, I think there was probably a bit of grandstanding at times, including in the finale.

This might be the exchange of the series.

Okay. Well, good luck in law school. 

What... what field are you thinking of?

Consumer protection.

That's perfect. You can protect the public from people like yourself.

Y'all have a nice day.

We'll let ourselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Knowing the story and outcome took none of the drama away from this. It's incredibly well written, well made and acted. Only minor criticism would be the actor playing Richard Sackler wasn't evil enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thought this was very good, agree on the timelines being a bit tricky to follow. Perfect length also didn't overly do it. Must get around now to crime of the century doc.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Was surprised to not see a longer thread on this, superb show and utterly infuriating at the same time:

You just knew, from so early on and without knowing the real world story that no matter how the chips fell in the end, the Sacklers would still walk away free and just as disgustingly rich as they started out (if not far more so).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

a new york judge has thrown a spanner in the works, hopefully opening the door to really go after them

Advertisement