Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone else hate radio presenters talking over the end of songs?

• 30-12-2021 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭it takes 2 2 tango

It something that I actually hate.

There are a few radio stations that are particularly guilty of it.

Radio Nova said in the past that they never speak over any part of the song and this supposedly sets them apart from the crowd.

Lately there have been two presenters, Emily Brew and some other male presenter.

Some songs have epic endings and it’s sacrilege to interrupt it. Bohemian Rhapsody, When the Sun goes Down, Mr. Blue Sky, Get Lucky by Daft Punk were all recently butchered by having their endings spoken over.

”aNd tHaT wAs bOhEmiAn rHaPsOdY” when the song is still playing and then completely cutting off the gong.

and the clown mimicking the blue sky blue ending.

It’s not even as if they have to rush to their ad slot as they often engage in inane chatter then start the next song.

Surely to Christ I’m not the only one who hates this 😔😔😔

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

And when they talk over the intro until the singing starts! Total headwreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Why are you so bothered by it? Are you taping songs of the radio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I hate it. Especially when you're trying to tape a song off the Hotline Hitlist and Tony bloody Fenton talks over it at the end (or sometimes halfway through, which is particularly egregious).

Oh hang on, it's not the early '90s anymore. They can talk as much as they like - I prefer Spotify anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭it takes 2 2 tango

If you read the OP you’ll see it ruins the “good” part of the song. The instrumental at the start and the end are often the icing on the cake of the song.

Or DJs not playing the guitar solos at the end of songs in order to tell us about Brussel sprouts or all the purple sweets missing from a box of roses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

Waaaay back in the previous century, people used to tape the top twenty from the radio. To this day there are songs I hear that sound all wrong without Larry Gogan's voice at the end of them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Who still listens to the radio to hear music? It's mostly non-offensive background sound theses day.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I used to think that the record companies were paying DJ's to talk over the song in order to prevent this.

But nobody tapes off the radio these days so why do they still do it?

I always use Spotify when I’m driving. Just tell Siri what I want to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I used to hate it when I had my finger poised over the 'pause record' button on my cassette player when a song I liked was broadcast on Atlantic 252.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Add to the dislike, the DJ telling us the song title and the artist.

Example, that was Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. You would need to be a halfwit not to know that.

They always do this.

Another annoyance... they are forced to refer to places by the sponsors name .... example, Bord Gais energy theatre

Do. you. take. your. hands. off. the. wheel. and. touch. the. screen. to. change. song?

No. Ever hear of playlists? Or voice controls?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Annoys me too, particularly when it's in the middle of the last chorus. Of course it was worse worse in the old days when you'd have no choice but to tape songs off the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It only annoys me if the programme is a real music show.

If the show's based around music it's just disrespectful to mess with the artists work.

If it's just a run of the mill magazine type show with a bit of music thrown in I don't expect much better.

Late 1970s NI, I remember it well :

"And that was Queen with Bohemian Rhapsody"

"Nothing really matters, Anyone can see,"

"Youre listening to Big Teeeeeeeeee"

"Nothing really matters,"

"On Down ..... Town ...... Radeeohhhh"

"Nothing really matters to me"

"And now time for the news", cutting off just before "Any way the wind blows".

Good times.

Used to annoy me when the radio stations (when most of them played lots of music) done the 'beat the intro' comps - not even a 1/2 second pause before, or after, the 1-3 clips played.. very annoying that were... Talking right before and after the clips.. very offputting for the contestant or the listener at home..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

At least you knew with Atlantic 252 you'd hear hear the song again in about 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why anyone would have been tape recording Atlantic 252 is a mystery to me given it was longwave. I guess nostalgia beats reality these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Oh I hate it. Especially when you are taping the song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Rick Whelan of WLRFM always does this. Really annoying, just let the song finish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Radio stations can't have dead air (its the mortal sin of Radio broadcasting). DJ might not be actually listening to the song, might be out in the kitchen/convience/smoking in the bike shed etc. rushes back in and starts gabbing before song ends (just to show that he was there all along)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Back in that previous century, I was on pirate radio and remember being in studio once when Phil Cawley was on the air. He was doing drivetime and Jimmy Greely was on the same time spot on RTE Radio 2. I noticed that there was music going out on air, but none of the record or cassette decks were turning - Phil was relaying a chart hit that he didn't have himself .... live off Radio 2 via an FM tuner feed.

He knew Jimmy's style so well that he could relay the track intro and get out of it before Jimmy would come back in with his 'outro'. For Phil's listeners, the track was slightly shorter that expected as a result, but it was a calculated risk to avoid hearing Jimmy Greely going out on pirate radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Not any more than I hate their chatter in general,

banging on about some inane vapid incident that happened them in the recent past á la

" I was cutting my toenails and then the postman knocked on the door mid bigtoe OMFG it was Karazee!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Radio DJs are the absolute worst type of humans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah nothing worse than inane DJ babble that is supposed to be funny but is really one of those situations where you had to be there and even then it was hardly funny in the first place

And the birthdays, I dont really care if its Marys birthday. And just the pure amount of song repetition as well, had Today FM on yesterday as background noise while working and I must have heard Dermot Kennedy and Ed Sheerhan four times each. In a world of unlimited music the radio stations seem to have less than 100 songs on constant rotation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Most song “outros” are rubbish. Repetitive warbling. One of the reasons I like The Strokes straight off the bat was that they just ended the tracks without that nonsense fading out for 45 seconds.

The only outro I want to hear is the one from ‘Sultan’s of Swing’ by Dire Straits. That one cuts off too soon.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

A 20th century problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I always remember trying to tape Animal by Def Leppard off the radio. At the very end where there’s about 2 seconds of silence before the song kicks in again some knob of a DJ says “wait for it”. Every time I hear that song nowadays I always hear that knobby DJ voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s literally years since I listened to the radio for anything other then grabbing the news headlines and weather and maybe to listen to a match.

as for the nonsense about taking your hands off the wheel…

you take your hand off the wheel to change gear, adjust the aircon, change station on the radio, so doing the same with Spotify isn’t a big deal…

Advertisement