Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

So you think death figures, the most important thing in all of this amongst us humans, are false flags and simplistic stats.

Get outside for a walk man, you need it,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

With the youngest population in Europe our mortality rate was always going to be the lowest, even if we “let it rip”

i am disheartened by Irelands response to Covid, it’s a throw back to the time we we ruled by the Catholic Church, anyone who questions the data is an antivaxxer.

My primary fear is that the wrong lessons will be learned. I think that 'free' societies need to evaluate whether the sheer subjugation of civil liberties and individual autonomy was worth it in the long run for a virus that presents low individual risk (99%+ survival rate on population as a whole) but moderate to high collective risk (hospitals being overwhelmed). Personally, I would have accepted the subjugation for a matter of weeks, but when we start getting the 'year' ruler out to measure this duration - I am concerned.

I am concerned that if we are not very careful, lockdown and/or restrictions would be acceptable for all manner of collective problems in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,673 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Yea, you’ve been brain washed. Death figures are important, but so is context. The death of an 88 year old with heart failure from Covid is tough on the family. A child dying in a car crash is tough on the family. But those two things are not equal. Heartless as it may seem to you, not all deaths are equal, looking at all cause mortality rates / CSO underlying condition report, it’s unlikely that many who died from Covid last year would be alive today even if they hadn’t got Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Once we get past tonight there is no real reason to entertain the idea. What restrictions will they look at given just how rampant it is and given that it is expected to hit peak within a week to 10 days?

I can assure you I have not been brainwashed. You're coming across like a Leaving Cert teenager who has read the abstract in a few scientific papers, and is trying to sound grown up. As I said, get some fresh air.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Indeed. Whatever about closing construction initially, keeping it closed for 14 weeks was even more crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I think as everyone has been saying, it's all about hospitalisations. If, as another poster put up there recently, about 25% of UK hospitalisations are 'incidental', then that's 75% FOR covid. Regardless of Tony's ridiculous definition, coming to 5%, it doesn't matter - if the hospitalisations continue to go up there will likely be a reaction from Govt.

What we don't know (?) is the types of cohorts being admitted - while it doesn't matter for the HSE helping them, it would be nice to know are they generally in the vulnerable category, or are they all 'healthy' and suffering from bad omicron effects.

But either way, would like to see the admissions stablise or we are in for more cráp.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

As a country (and as a species) I think this pandemic will provide a template for possible future pandemics. Which are very possible. Hopefully, the retrospective research will find that balance between protecting people and maintaining a normal lifestyle should a new virus emerge. Clear, honest and open communication to the populace is the best way of managing any response necessary. Anyway, in decades to come, climate change will put any possible new viruses in the shade. But that's a different conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

’And its citizens’ is probably the most important part of your post.

We did stand up. When there were real risks we bought into the restrictions. We saw the benefits of vaccinations and got vaccines in our droves without the same levels of coercion used elsewhere.

Unfortunately, NPHET had a tendency to talk down to the citizens and not level with us at times. The misuse of data continues. We are not idiots. This is one of my biggest disappointments.

Well that is original. Try capitalise Tony next time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Agreed. Clear honest and open communication. Then the citizenry have an informed understanding of why decisions are being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Million dollar question.... what restrictions. Close the schools a few more weeks? Who knows. They'll decide something. Have to be seen as doing something of course.

Absolutely. There will be a natural lull over the next 4 weeks. Hospitality is quieter and people are less inclined to want visitors.

Some said to me recently that this is Martin's big regret but I couldn't tell you when he was supposed to have said it. It really was excessive.

Quite, well this is my point entirely. This is not a template that I think we want to apply to future crises, of which there will be many - most more severe than this. Historically, this has not been the biggest crisis humanity has faced but we are behaving as if it was.

Not wishing to go down the climate change avenue but my thoughts on it are the same as they were for c-19.

It's an international problem that cannot be solved at national level. When democracy and 'free' societies are only national - something has to give. I fear that it will be our moral values and 'free' societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Is it possible to see a comparison of our hospital numbers now for the same dates in 2019 and 2018? Is this information published somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Are you saying our hospitals are less full than the UK? Because it's not just routine things like a hip replacement that can cause an overnight stay in hospital. Or are people needing hip replacements more likely to test positive?

I don't share your pessimism although pushing schools out to Monday week may happen but sure they are all hanging out with their friends anyway. Bad hospital numbers IMO, 1,000 or higher, is almost the only thing that might influence decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So the big discharge numbers did come in alright. 87 discharges is a huge number. But they're being overridden by higher admissions numbers.

Doing some rough comparisons here to try and see why our admissions appear to be so high. Comparing with the UK, there was a 5-6 day lag between their surge and the hospital numbers going up. Us too. And we're about 6-7 days behind the UK in our surge.

From the start of their hospital surge (~17th December) to 24th December, their hospital admissions jumped by about 33%.

From the start of our hospital surge (~24th December) to 31st (today), our hospital admissions jumped by about 66%. Twice as much.

Let's drag in Denmark here to see what's happening. Uh-oh. Their surge started either 5th December or 20th. Either way, their hospital numbers have gone nowhere. Slight linear increase, no surge.

Suggests to me that the counting of hospital admissions is not uniform across countries, which makes this even more fraught.

Going back to the UK -v- Ireland, one thing is that our case surge is steeper than theirs. Which means we may peak quicker, but would also explain why hospital numbers have risen faster.

It may also be a cultural issue (which would also explain Denmark's numbers): We, and to a lesser extent the UK, have a population cohort who use the A&E as a primary care centre rather than the GP. They have literally no idea how to manage an illness and so run off to get advice from professionals for the most benign of conditions.

This has been exacerbated in recent times by GPs refusing to see patients who don't have a PCR test.

So, if you're sick, you can't get a PCR test for love nor money, your GP won't talk to you, what do you do? Most people will do an antigen and stay at home. But some people will take themselves (or their child) off to the A&E, so they can be told by a doctor or nurse what to do.

Pure spitballing, but certainly there's something "off" about our hospital numbers. Some reason why they're unnecessarily high. The ICU numbers will tell the full story. Neither the UK or Denmark have seen an appreciable increase since the start of their surges. So we shouldn't either. And if we don't, then the hospital numbers are unimportant.

================

Going by the numbers, this weekend will herald some amount of pearl-clutching. The discharges have so far been suppressing the hospital numbers a bit, but there'll be very few discharges done Saturday, Sunday or Monday. Come Tuesday morning we will have (probably well) over 1,000 patients in hospital, and with schools due to open the next day, I forsee considerable panic from the usual merchants.

Like I say, ICU is the only one that really matters now. If that sees no real change, then our hospital system will cope.

Post edited by seamus on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I wouldn't call it pessimism. I would use the word reality more so if anything.

Government have to be seen as doing something. Even if that something is right or wrong, people agree or disagree. It's like a game.

But you say 1000 hospital numbers. Tonight is probably what, the second booze up Ireland does behind paddy's day? Pubs will be closed from 8. But all the house parties, family get togethers to celebrate the new year. We're already near 700. Have to be hitting 1000 soon given tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

And then people will say the ICU cases don't matter either - since they're incidental, old, overweight, unvaccinated, have underlying conditions, or are unboosted..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

excellent post.

Some take-outs:

• That’s a very good point re use of A&E in Ireland v Denmark compounded by GPs demanding PCRs for physical appointments.
    • I see the discharge rate as very encouraging - we may see more over the course of today. Seems to confirm reports that hospital stays are far shorter compared to previous variants - perhaps can lead to more practical public health advice and responses. UK idea of surge hubs might well be worth considering here.
    • We need more refined indicators from hospitals tailored to this variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I got a PCR test yesterday as a close contact (and had a positive antigen test). Today with the rule change I wouldn't. However when filling out application for illness benefit while I self isolate I was required to send a screen shot of the text from the HSE as proof. What proof will under 40s have now? And how are we supposed to do contact tracing if they aren't getting PCRs?

This along with reducing the time to isolate in the middle of the highest case numbers seems to be very skewed towards helping businesses stay open and screw the risk to people's health.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Anecdotally, certain doom merchants on twitter, once they have tested positive for Covid seem to be presenting at hospitals only to be sent home when the doctors and nurses realised they were overreacting.

I wonder how many presenting are in this case ?

• Advertisement

Ooofff. Over 20% of all staff in my hospital are self-isolating/ positive today. The next couple of weeks could be carnage from shortage of health care workers.

Advertisement