Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Native Irish are not reproducing fast enough.

They don't need to. We don't have an economy that needs a large population. Very few industries in Ireland are labor intensive, and most of them can easily (although there's cost involved) be upgraded with technology to further decrease the amount of workers needed. Besides, EU migration should be able to cover our needs without encouraging immigration from Africa or the M.East.

That's the hidden agenda being run by Government.

Agreed, although I'd say it's more to do with the political parties as opposed to a single government. Personally, I suspect it's a desire for a new voter base, as Irish people are becoming less patient with the politics of the past, and the political parties are hoping that immigrants will appreciate what's been done for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I seriously can't see the thinking in trying to increase a population that has serious under sufficient health care services and housing to name a few. At the end of the day were only a small island.

Oh so now you interpreted what someone else said, and decided that they didn't mean it?

Grand, I read it and took it exactly As it was written.

No double standards with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Questions for supporters of multiculturalism:

-Is there an upper limit to the percentage of non-Irish population that you would like to see in Ireland i.e 50% non-Irish?

-Would you prefer EU immigrants vs non-EU immigrants?

-(and once more) What are the benefits of multiculturalism? (apart from superflous things like food)

The pension system can't be saved by mass immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

Different strokes, for different folks, but personally I find that the ignore option works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

They don’t yet it’s just a matter of time .You could try to show how they will not get leave to remain and be deported.

He won't though.

The fact of the matter is that recognising these people in DP/Appeals in an official manner that is outside of the standard process for Asylum, and appeals, creates a bias towards their claims. Anyone who dismisses that is simply refusing to acknowledge human nature. Any such recognition will be used by the NGOs and their legal council to help these claimants to be accepted for asylum.

I have no idea what this even means?

Some may get regulated under the new scheme, others will not. Some asylum seekers will get leave to remain under the asylum system, some will not.

I agree with this. I don't believe asylum seekers should be part of this scheme to regulate illegal immigrants. I doubt there will be many actually getting anything out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I don't really understand how people don't get this

"No, it comes from a different fund"

It's all end the of the day government money competing for the same resources. I have zero against any economic migrant or asylum seeker, I am friends with many through work.

But the standard approach of through money at a problem to fix it without attempted to understand the why, any long term consequences or even the numbers affected is one of the reasons I am likely not voting next time out.

Immigration itself may not be a vote deciding issue but it demonstrates the idiotic, frivolous nature in which the government spends /invests/wastes money in this county, cheered on by the opposition and media for twitter likes and kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

So to sum up. Some cultures (countries) have objectively failed. They are poor and violent and people from these countries leave them and claim asylum in the rich successful West.

When they get to the West they have the exact same culture that led to their home countries failing. However Westerners are meant to be eternally grateful to them and rejoice in multiculturalism?

Exactly. Just for once i would love the NGO would push the east asian cultures(japan, korea etc), hard work, obedience, education, competition, family and communal values( and responsibilities), instead of the failing cultures they cannot get enough of. It almost as if there is a conspiracy to corrupt and destroy from within, western culture. (Ie cultural marxism and the long march through institutions are a thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rocjohn

The scheme announced by Minister of Justice for amnesty for illegal immigrants is itself illegal.

1.There is no enabling legislation or secondary legislation for such a scheme.

2.There is no plan to introduce a bill before the Dail and go through the various stages before voting on it in both houses .

3.In December the Supreme Court by Unanimous verdict determined determined that an employment contract is unlawful when a person does not have a work permit or permission to be in the State.

4.MOJ will over ride that verdict thereby seizing power from the Judicial Branch of Goverment .

5.DOJ website states these illegal immigrants will be eligible for state supports on successful application. The bill is potentially up to 3 Billion in social welfare payments per year. Only the Dail can initiate a Money Bill under the Constitution to approve spending. This disbursement is a reallocation of funds already voted on for different purposes. It is therefore a massive fraud being committed by the MOJ against the people of Ireland.

6.The DOJ statement states minor crimes will not affect application. AS in para 4 above this is an expansion of arbitrary powers seized by the MOJ from the Judicial branch of government and without legislation for this amnesty it is absolutely illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

That's who we should be importing - Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong. Instead we get low IQ chancers who'll enrich the welfare office.

Or even 2nd tier east asian countrys' citizens would jump to come here. Vietnam cambodia thailand etc.

Both of which aren't religious (secular attitudes towards religion), and typically do well in western nations, being employed/innovative (business creation). Besides the rather heavy emphasis on family, and better upbringing of children/teens.

Completely agree. We should be encouraging Asian immigration over that of Africa, M.East or S.America.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hmmm, not all of the Asians who come here are necessarily well motivated or think well of us. I particularly remember the individual who was smuggling people in via Dublin Airport. Not a pleasant individual. But he stuck out, for being unsavoury. Broadly speaking, we have absorbed Hungarians,Cubans and Vietnamese as a result of crises and they largely settled into our country and gave us very little bother. They don't tend to stick their heads above the parapet,crime-wise and they tend to do well in education. I'm sure the Revenue might have an opinion about "Chinese" restaurants and other outlets such as nail bars and hair grooming parlours,though. As for the concept of multiculturalism, what does annoy me is the forceful dominance of Africans over all other cultures, when it comes to multiculturalism, as if we can't accept ANY European culture before theirs and if we do,we are accused of being racists. Quite simply,that isn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

-(and once more) What are the benefits of multiculturalism? (apart from superflous things like food)

I didn't know we were allowed to eat them.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"what does annoy me is the forceful dominance of Africans over all other cultures"

trend...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Well done on taking his comment out of context, bad faith arguments are your sides forte apparently..

Some Questions:

-Is there an upper limit to the percentage of non-Irish population that you would like to see in Ireland i.e 70% non-Irish?

-Would you prefer EU immigrants vs non-EU immigrants?

You should do a poll on this you increased the rate to 70% from 50% ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Well pretty much all the aggressive race card playing and race baiting individuals are of African origin. From George N family and friends to Ebun Joseph. They are the only one that chose to move here while immediately started to act against the people that made the country they chose to move into.

Give it time.. that will change as more minorities realise the kind of incomes they can maintain as a victim in Ireland. Although I suspect that Africans will remain at the top, due to the supposed guilt over African American slavery, and colonialism, which guarantees them an elevated place at the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Nope, not happening. You might see here and there someone playing the race card as the last resort, but nowhere near as often, and certainly not as the immediate instinctive response.

As for slavery, between the average Nigerian and Irish, the Nigerian is much more likely to have ancestors involved in the slave trade.

If you look abroad in countries where significant immigration has been ongoing for longer, you'll find more people playing the race card to give them positions of authority... you see it a bit in the UK with regards to Indian/Pakistani people, or sometimes SE Asians. Just as we'll see it here too eventually.

The market/industry is being created and there will be people who have grown up on social media who will take advantage of the racial environment that is being established in Ireland.

The point about slavery was directed towards African Americans, who have extended their history of being victims to all Africans, and that's been promoted for decades within general American culture (which has spread worldwide). It wasn't a connection between Ireland and slavery. Just the assumption that all white people are guilty/responsible for the slavery situation (regardless of the true history or facts involved)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

What question should be asked in the referendum?

• Advertisement

Establish a set of clear and actionable guidelines to show migrants how to effectively integrate into Irish society... and then ask Irish people whether migrants should be required to adopt and prove acceptance of these guidelines before citizenship applications are approved. A simple Yes/No, would work there.

Multiculturalism asks that migrants not integrate or assimilate into the target nation, because having people who retain their cultural identity makes everything better. A referendum would clear the air on the issues involved, since it would require both the politicians and the NGOs to stop being so vague in their statements/intentions, and open the topic for public discussion. As opposed to having RTE promote it favorably all the time. A referendum period would require RTE to give airtime to any groups who are against multiculturalism.. so regardless of the results of the referendum, it would be a positive because it would finally give permission for Irish people to air their grievances.

I came back to Ireland two years ago, just before covid hit, and while catching up with friends (and during the subsequent conversations), I've been quite amazed at the bitterness and even anger that many people I know (mostly based in the midlands or in Galway) have about migrant populations in their areas.. So.. yeah... a referendum might be a good step forward, as I don't really see RTE giving up it's virtue signalling throne, or Irish politicians tip-toeing the minefield that is public opinion relating to minority groups.

Advertisement