Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truck crash at Dublin Airport - 22nd December

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Their patience is wearing thin at this stage. How many years has it been since the first major terrorist incident involving ISIS and still we’ve had nada zilch nothing? This looked promising but it’s amounted to absolutely nothing in the end. Not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,402 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Spare a thought for all those people who didn't get what they wanted for Christmas.

In this case some Irish lads desperately wanted a terrorist attack and ended up getting a simple accident

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Jihadism is absolutely one of the major issues Western nations face today but this definitely isnt it.

It reminds me of the desperation of people on the far-left wanting the George Nkencho incident to be their George Floyd moment.

I fear critical thinking skills have been lost in the last decade.

Nations in NATO who bomb the blls out of half the world have a Jihadi problem Ireland does not despite desperate attempts by the "far right" to push one.

Don't give a FK about Nkencho and don't have a clue what it has to do about jihad or a truck crash in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Once upon a time, in the not so distant past, a road traffic accident in Ireland was exactly that, and the vast majority of them would not even get a mention in the papers or TV, unless it was a particularly horrific one, with death's etc. Then fast forward to the Jihadi age, and a growing number of Jihadi attacks in the west, using every means possible to cause death and destruction, bombs, bullet's knives, vehicles, in fact anything that came to hand. And then, what would have been an "ordinary" RTA, becomes suspect. And this is because, these kind of attacks have happened and are still happening, and I don't blame people for jumping to conclusion's. I've worked in Country's where the sound of an engine backfiring would be enough to send people running for cover, and an incident like the one under discussion would trigger a full scale alert. I hope that we never get to that stage in this Country, but as recent events proved at the maternity hospital in Liverpool, the driver of the cab was well aware of suicide bombers and reacted accordingly. And that came from similar incidents happening regularly throughout Europe, and further a field. I wonder if it had happened in Ireland, outside the Coombe Hospital would the taxi driver's reaction be the same?

• Advertisement

Once upon a time on this island, people were also worried about hearing a car backfire. Many people were caught up in bomb attacks. Same for the UK, they have merely changed one terrorist for another.

Thankfully, we don't all cower in fear and we go about our daily business !

No an Irish taxi driver wouldn't react because his passenger would not be a Jihadi terrorist because we are in Ireland.

I lived in between Westminster and London Bridge and was in the area for the attacks on both and neither I or my friends cower at a backfiring car (do cars even still do that) and we assume a car crash is a car crash

Consider yourself lucky so that you live in a country where an engine backfiring would not trigger any reaction., and long may it last...because there are country's where it would trigger reaction, and any vehicle behaving as the one in the airport did would definitely trigger a major reaction.

I also consider it lucky that most people don't listen to scaremongering and doom and gloom merchants!!

• Advertisement

Yes during the troubles. And when back firing engines were a common problem ,and would definitely trigger a response. It became 2nd nature to people who live in these kind of circumstances. And any vehicle approaching any kind of security barrier driving erratically, would be blasted long before it got near the barriers. So imagine Belfast taxi drivers in those circumstances, unless they actually knew their passenger's, they would be suspicious and ready to react at any time. Just like the Liverpool taxi driver did. Since the Good Friday agreement, that kind of behavior has practically died out here, and replaced with a sense of normality. Even people who were born in "the Troubles" are all middle aged, and there's a generation who never knew about the troubles, except what has been passed down to them. But this "edge" or awareness, is alive and well in the UK, France, Germany, etc who have suffered Jihadist attacks in the past and expect more in the future. I hope that its not something we will ever experience here, but that's the 100'000 question.

That edge of awareness is not alive and well in any UK or German people I know 🙄

They just get on with their lives without all that fearmongering.

Lived in London for most of the last 10 years and down central London too. This "edge" you speak of is bull sht

Maybe for you, but for sure, that taxi driver was on the ball. Wonder what the people of Liverpool or Manchester think though, when they hear about a bombing? As for me, I've lived in country's where people were well aware of what was going on around them... 24 -7. Oh, believe me they had the edge all right...and with good reason.

Probably think the same as they did throughout the 70s and 80s

Which countries ?

As for the taxi driver it wasn't because he was aware it's because the bomb started to smoke

Google "Jihadi Attacks in Europe" and you will see the most affected cities. And what effect would you think that these attacks had on the people living in these places? Same as before, no effect, or they were affected by it?

I was living in those places.

You said you were too so which ones you live in ?

France and Germany ( not a lot in the UK, surprisingly enough) but many places further afield..most of the major trouble spots in the world. Balkan's, Russia, the Stan's, Middle East, Near East, Africa, etc. Anyway, Happy New Year to you and may 2022 see more peace and less war in the world.

Although "most of the major trouble spots" in the world are obviously trouble spots Jihadi terrorism would not be the reason for the trouble. Certainly not in Russia, Balkans or even Israel. Not sure which African countries you were in but some have terrible problems with Islamic groups and some are not related at all.

Certainly no one I met from any countries you mention are on the "edge" and cowering over every backstopped car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Yes people "thinking for themselves" has worked out **** brilliantly the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

Sweden has had terrorist attacks and they haven't been involved in any wars on terror.

Jihadis just hate anyone that doesnt worship their religion....

The only countries that dont have a jihadi problem are the ones without muslims...

Ok, so in your opinion, jihadi attacks in the west and world wide has had absolutely effect on the people of the Country's where the attacks took place?? Sure they are not all "Cowering" ( your words, not mine ) I asked you what effect do you the Ariana Grande concert bombing had on the people of Manchester, or more recently the Liverpool Taxi bombing had?

Or maybe jihadi islam is spreading around the world, without even a ripple to mark its passing? Dream on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Ah now there are jumping to conclusions and jumping to conclusions. There was some here not believing that this could not just happen and was a lie by higher ups so we do not rock the boot. Unless people now see everything then it is all a lie

• Insulin dependent diabetes and driving articulated trucks certainly does not mix well. I have seen several people close-up suffering hypoglycaemia and it ranges from confusion, to black-outs to tonic-clonic seizures.

The confusion can begin fairly gradually. Eg the driver may have been on the motorway and felt a bit off and planned to pull off somewhere, anywhere, like the airport to take sugar, then the disorientation set in and he possibly passed out shortly after that.

Well now, I was not jumping to conclusions in this case...to me, nothing about it indicated a terrorist attack, and I said as much in one of the first posts. But you are right, jumping to conclusions should be elevated to an Olympic sport here. But its also true that jihadi's have used vehicles to carry out terrorist attack's....they have form in this regard, unfortunately. TBH, I cant see it happening here in Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

I wonder if some of the people jumping to the conclusion that it was terror-related did so just so they might have something to be outraged about. Just another thing to give out about on social media.

I think Ireland being a funding source for Islamic extremists is a key reason we haven't been successfully targeted.

Yet who's to say there hasn't been plots here before that were foiled before execution but was kept under wraps? You could go in circles worrying about it and drive yourself mad but I think with such harrowing thoughts, it's best to forget about them until it actually happens to you or someone you care for.

What affect did they have on people in Manchester? Same affect that IRA bombings did I would expect. Pissed off locals, bit worried but in general, going about their daily business, same as ever. None if them are cowering afraid in their homes, afraid of outside. Thankfully

Yes, and I'd say that is what happened in this case. But he should have been carrying sugar on him ( in some form...there are specially formulated quick acting drinks and hi glucose sweets that will fit in your pocket ) There will be an investigation carried out of course. The the driver will have had medical treatment on the spot followed by hospitalization. In Hospital, he will have a full examination, and until that is done, its only speculation as to what was his condition before the accident. Anyway you look at it, it was unfortunate that it happened at all, it could have been much much worse, but thank God, it wasn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement