Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There may also be other factors at play here. Someone (it may have been GG) mentioned that some patients will be discharged home for Xmas and then re-admitted again on the 27th. As a matter of course.

So if someone has been sent home, picks up covid at home, arrives back in hospital and tests positive...oops.

Looking at some of the hospital data, there may be evidence of this.

Taking the children's hospitals in isolation, on Xmas Day (evening) there was 1 child in hospital with covid. The following evening (26th), that number is up to 5. The next day, 8. By the 28th, there are 13 children in hospital with covid.

If that's how fast it's causing child admissions, that's fvcking alarming. But then it stops. Over the next two days there are 12 and 14 children in hospital with covid.

That can only really be explained by children being re-admitted to hospital after going home for Xmas, and coming in with covid. There is no way actual hospital admissions in children jumped 1300% in 4 days.

So it's likely the same phenomenon has happened with the adult hospitals too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Yep. Interestingly this forum was ahead of politicians and media in highlighting this risk. Presumably the officials are clued into it and will have a response which does not mean the remaining 80% (currently) have to bear the brunt nor does it result in unnecessary further restrictions to flatten the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

100%.

2 great posts there Seamus.

Hospital numbers can be ignored.

ICU is the only show in town

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

With the youngest population in Europe our mortality rate was always going to be the lowest, even if we “let it rip”

While I would not have been an advocate of "letting it rip" our mortality rate being low enough was hardly a surprise alright. On top of a younger population we've also got one of the lowest population densities in Europe and the majority live in houses rather than apartment blocks, where contagion gets a much freer reign. I'd have been shocked if our figures had been high.

i am disheartened by Irelands response to Covid, it’s a throw back to the time we we ruled by the Catholic Church, anyone who questions the data is an antivaxxer.

Again hardly a surprise as the Irish psyche has proven itself time and time again to be one compliant to authority, which is a good thing in a pandemic though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Oh, it can continue without restrictions. Just don't be expecting easy access to a hospital bed if you become acutely unwell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

For daily, even weekly changes yes than can but within reason. If they get to four figures they are going to exert a lot more pressure on the health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TBF there has been a lot of input from the variety of sources with some good insights and reflections from a fair number of people along the way. For that reason alone it’s certainly proved to be a good source of information throughout this. However, it doesn't mean we haven't all posted our own fair share of nonsense and stuff that was completely wrong! 

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pepsirebel

Just on your last paragraph, agree totally however, when it comes to obeying say road traffic, parking laws it's a different story ....figure that out!!!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TracyMartell

Prominent antivaxxers begging for vaccines and 20% self isolating and positive. It’s all happening in your hospital! Very unlucky

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would say that's because we've a bit of a bipolar attitude to authority. On the one hand we'll tug the forelock to our betters and kiss the bishop's ring and follow their authority(and never hold them accountable until they're dead and buried), but on the other hand we'll snigger behind their back as we do so. Plus there's a large element of what the neighbours/parish will say. If the curtains twitched at bad parking we'd be a lot more compliant.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Weird choice of words.... Quarantine for covid patients.

I know there's people saying not every covid person should be called a case, but to call them all patients is weird.

In that situation they wouldn't be admitted, so they would have zero impact on hospital numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,474 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Do patients have an input into what information as regards their condition is given to the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

I will be very interested to learn whether all the extended lockdowns were worth it? I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Yes and you can blame Nphet and the HSE for that.

May well be poor translation from Greek to English. Politico draws material from news reports from the various countries.

It's very difficult to compare Ireland to other countries because we've been such an outlier throughout.

No other country in the world sat in lockdown for 6 months straight with low case numbers.

No other country in the world deemed it necessary to maintain tight restrictions with less than 20 in ICU.

Other countries allowed a sustainable level of cases to happen over a period of time. They are benefitting from the natural immunity and great leadership.

We are suffering as always from the poor decisions of people also responsible for our poor health service.

Also our level of debt and economy is in much worse health.

Our handling of this has been catastrophic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Neighbour, lady in her 40s, took into hospital this morning with covid. Bit of extra timber on her but she was fit enough and regularly out walking. The rumour in estate is she was unvaxxed.

If they are admitted and discharged within 24hrs they really won't have any impact on hospital numbers though. There would be an increase in admissions and and equal increase in discharges and the net effect of zero on the total hospital number.

Agree. But, firstly admissions are highlighted as a metric and secondly, perhaps this is where a surge facility like UK are intending can be used to take pressure off rest of system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It's a rather morbid calculation. Personally, I think that had we introduced earlier mandatory masking, earlier mandatory social distancing and earlier mandatory ventilation indoors, we might have avoided such a draconian lockdown. But hindsight is 20/20 vision.

I think you're seeing multiple issues in Ireland. I'm not sure that you could say that we're compliant with authority. There's got to be a level of trust in the system for that to happen. There isn't really any distance here between politics and the public.

The issues in France for example are not the same. You've a country that has a history of powerful, long lasting (7 year terms until 2000) executive presidency vs one with very much the opposite, a proportional representation parliamentary democracy. One listens or it will collapse, the other ploughs on regardless. That's pretty much why France has a history of street protests and riots. People felt it was the only means of getting heard.

Irish politics is also structured in a consensus finding way, and increasingly so as no party will ever hold an overall majority. You'll notice every major party and even the minor ones are on more or less the same page in this crisis. That's not the case in countries with highly polarised politics where covid is politicised. The US for example. Most of our conspiracy theorists seem to be basically online overspill from that too, I mean you literally had Trump and MAGA stuff appearing at some of the protests.

The biggest thing I think has damaged trust has been the constant spin from the Department of Education. Talking to a lot of parents and teachers, I think the trust has evaporated. They feel spun to and I think that's likely to have political consequences for FF and FG and very deservedly so. They've really annoyed and patronised the 30-40 somethings.

The other issue in Ireland is it's small. You can't really distance or abstract the impact of anything. So if someone has covid or someone's granny died of COVID half the country knows and there's genuine empathy.

Finally, I think the biggest issue is we don't and cannot reasonably assume that we have a robust health system. It can barely cope (often can't cope) with the normal flu season. Everyone knows that and I think that's also been something we've probably accepted as reality when it has come to the cautious approach. The vaccine rollout efficiency had been impressive, and I think it also shows what the system could be if it all worked like that.

Hopefully COVID shines a spotlight on it because it's a massive infrastructural weakness. I have read review of Ireland and time and time again it's one of the factors that puts people off moving and living here long term and I don't think that's understood by the likes of the IDA. I know quite a few people who moved here, had some horror story about A&E, wound up IT jobs and never came back. It comes up in various surveys too. Compared to many of our counterparts the health system here is crap. There's no getting around that and we're still failing to fix it.

I think though this narrative that we're a nanny state or that we're somehow being pushovers doesn't hold true at all. It's just a cohesive society with a barely functioning public health system and it's treading carefully.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Would you ever stop! Incidental cases are a factor and a lot less likely in ICU!! The amount of admissions suggests a decent proportion are incidental! What do you propose to do? Lockdown fully? Our booster program is flying, let the vaccines do their work! Stop worrying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

The increase in fuel and ikeas prices have nothing to do with Irelands domestic economy if you bothered to ever read beyond an articles headline.

Advertisement