Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Well the PCR confirmation helps apply for illness benefit while self isolating. They don't seem to have changed that requirement for now (a text from HSE telling you to isolate). Also does it mean that under 40s now have to notify their own close contacts that they may have covid...I wouldn't want a coworker not realising because I never did a PCR and they got a vulnerable family member sick as they didn't realise they should probably take precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

How dare they, after all the crying here for weeks about headlining infection numbers instead of hospitalisation numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

I think the opposite with respect. Compliance only encouraged further restrictions etc. Lots thought Boris made the wrong decision in the summer but…

The excess deaths from undiagnosed and/or untreated heart conditions and cancer etc in England for example according to the British Heart Foundation etc are scary. Can’t be any different here.

Post edited by Hey boy on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd reckon there could be a few reasons.

Some will have an immunity to it because of; a) previous exposure to covid that left them asymptomatic(30+% of cases are asymptomatic), b) previous exposure to another "bug going around" coronavirus in the last few years. "Naturally" vaccinated as it were.

Some will have a coincidental inbuilt genetic immunity to it. EG I don't get flu(my dad was the same). Stick me in a room full of people fecked with flu and I'll be fine. I'm sure there are a fair number of people the same with covid 19. So for whatever reason the pox finds it hard to infect their cells enough to give a positive test and/or symptoms. Plugging into that is covid has only recently jumped to humans so it's not very good at it. Omicron is a variant that got better at it and luckily also got milder. And that was luck.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's not close to only being an Irish thing. Having had experience of French, Italian and Spanish culture they can be just as bad. If anything the French can be more judegmental.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Thread is full of people alleging strangers hospitalised/dead weren't in great shape..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dublenguy

I agree. Huge amounts of data out there being analysed and misinterpreted (honestly and maliciously).

Personally I am happy, I work in a job where data is analysed and decisions made from the analysis.

Lots of people are really nervous and anxious, someone from government should appear and make a statement, Leo probably the best and he will quote a few films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

You can still get a PCR. You just need a positive antigen. It just slows the whole thing down anyways and slower to contact close contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Your last point is valid, here and in UK, but I hope you are not drawing the wrong conclusion. These deaths are a consequence of Covid, not of lockdowns. Covid patients had to be treated and the result was reduced hospital capacity. Nothing could be done about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

I always thought I didn’t get the flu too, until I got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I have my doubts over whether all the people getting PCR tests actually need to go for tests. If you have symptoms of covid, it's 99% chance it's covid. Just act as if you got a positive test result.

Yes I know some people need it to get off work or for travel but lots of people work from home or are on holidays now and there's no need to get tested when such strain is on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

Well, they could have tried increasing the hospital capacity. We've been going for two years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

You should be able to report a positive antigen online, like in the UK. We’re so far behind it’s laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭bloopy

But there was a rumour that she was unvaccinated.

Such a sin makes any gossip completely warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Hmm, I’m not too sure about that at all. I would say it was both. I have that from inside the heart unit of one of our hospitals when even non elective surgery was being cancelled when there was capacity (during first lockdown).

I guess we might find out if and when there is an independent unfettered review of the whole thing include unintended consequences.

My dad lived into his 80's and never got it. His brother into his 90's and never got it. I've made it into my 50's without getting it yet. I've certainly been exposed to it a load of times. When swine flu was in the news an ex of mine caught it. She needed steroids and antibiotics because of secondary infections from it and was wrecked for over a month. Me? Nada. And I couldn't have been more exposed. I did however test positive for it, so I did indeed catch it, but remained asymptomatic. Something like 10% of people with positives for infection with influenza remain asymptomatic, while another percentage get very mild symptoms. It's not that unusual.

Oddly enough I used to get the annual flu jab because I was concerned about being a carrier and giving it to others and most years after the jab I would feel something was off. Very mild now, but a definite reaction. Except for two years, where whatever was different in the mix left me rightly buggered for a week. High temp, achey all over, headaches, very tired. Given I'm asymptomatic for actual flu, you'd imagine the vaccine wouldn't do anything symptoms wise. I suppose it shows how complex and variable individuals can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

We are living in la la land. The debate about Covid amongst your average citizen is that the government shouldn't do this(close the bars and pubs at 8pm) but they should do this(Close the airports). And the sad thing is sentiments like this are about as extreme as your average citizen is going. We are still playing up to the charade that Covid is a dangerous disease that poses a serious health risk to the general population, I still hear the odd 'but long covid'...the mind boggles. The reality is the most infirm and vulnerable should be isolating and their families can make decisions about the risks they are willing to take. Let everyone else get on with it. Some deaths and illnesses will occur but that's life.

I agree that we really should have come up with a better approach to the testing. Either by encouraging people with no symptoms to avoid testing or by telling people if they have symptoms then just assume it is covid and isolate.

My dad went for a PCR recently and I was thinking those two things. First he is out and about with symptoms potentially spreading the virus as he goes on his way to get tested and while at the center. Second, if he is negative, which he was, he has just taken a trip to a place where loads of people with covid symptoms are going to be.

Once you run out of PCR tests or it becomes too difficult for people to get an appointment your reported case numbers are objectively not accurate. Add that to the number of people who just can't be bothered to get tested even if they do have symptoms and the number of people who didn't really have symptoms but still had covid.

At this point and policy based on cases is being dictated by inaccurate data.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

True, she has no rights now except to be characterized as a conspiracy looney. It's her own fault.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Have to laugh at this. A few days ago when I last looked here RTÉ was being lambasted for NOT reporting the hospital figures first rather than the supposedly irrelevant general infections! Hospital figures were all that mattered. Seems though that they're less publicisable when they challenge a cherished narrative!

I wonder when the big post-Christmas four-day-weekend discharge is happening? Should be any day soon now. That'll rattle RTÉ's cage.

• Advertisement

Yes but our politicians couldn't handle the criticism that comes with that.

If government decides that it's time to just open up and take personal responsibility then the media is going to be on their case for every single death. Only a matter of time before the news is running stories about some poor kid who has lost a grandparent and how this could have all been prevented if the government had just acted.

The groundwork for all of this was really done long before the pandemic started. Remember when Dublin had a lot of snow back in early 2018 (I think)? I recall Facebook and Twitter being full of people going mental at businesses that were going to remain open. Pretty sure one of the hotels in the city center was accused of endangering their staff by asking them to come to work. We were already setting ourselves up for this kind of thing.

The fact of the matter is that by April 2020 we already new exactly the demographics that were overwhelmingly the most vulnerable. Yes, there would be some people under 65 with no prior conditions etc who would get very sick and die but they were in the minority. We are about to enter January 2022 and still haven't figured out a way to protect the people who we know for a fact are most likely to die from this. Let's close retail for months. Let's close nightclubs and pubs and restaurants. Let's try everything except for increasing hospital capacity and quarantining the most vulnerable as best as we can. Let's definitely not try to explore any early treatments of the virus or anything that we could encourage people to do to prepare themselves for a potential infection.

Ridiculous last year that you could go into Tesco on a Saturday afternoon and see that the clothing section has been cordoned off so you can't buy basics like socks etc but you can totally stock up on donuts and booze before you join the queue with a bunch of old people and folk who don't understand that the mask should cover your mouth and also your nose.

Still being in this position when near enough everyone in the entire country is vaccinated and we have nearly two years worth of data to see who is most vulnerable is just ridiculous.

To be fair, if the rumours are true, the lady is apparently really good at avoiding jabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Be right back

20,110 cases today. ICU figures low at 86.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Cases down from yesterday. Looks like we've "peaked". It's clearly over. Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Great post.

I'll say it again and again, it's an impossible task for Government so I am not critical of them as people. I am critical of the failings of our systems, our whole society cannot deal with nuance or grey areas. Depth for most people is just some run of the mill sad story about someone going through a hard time but it never delves deeper, always superficial. When has there ever been a really good conversation on RTE since the pandemic occured about trade-offs or about the overall climate that has facilitated some of the greatest restrictions on our liberties that anyone could have imagined(less so now) At least have the conversation, allow the debate, instead we have Clare Byrne with another fear-mongering piece to add to the fear-mongering piece she delivered a week previously.

I think it has taken Covid to wake me up to the limitations of our systems and society. We can retreat to the digital sphere to get a more thorough examination but really it exists in its own bubble outside the public space.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Hospital admissions figure inflated by people who are there with COVID but being treated for other conditions.

It's the only thing NPHET have left to drive their agenda but the public see through it now, it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Surely it's more we've reached testing capacity than peaked. Positivity rate falling would be the better stat?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Unless they managed to squeeze some extra testing capacity, otherwise assuming the number of tests have been the same and the cases announced are still the swabs, it would be the same positivity rate. Which is a good thing. It's all assumptions until the swabs are updated again though.

Advertisement