Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yep. I was in the write off camp back in October. Mild, wet and windy winters are the norm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Hmmm, in Cork 7 of the last 12 winter months have been drier than average and 5 of 12 have been colder than average. Winters are always a mixed bag in Ireland, id be surprised if we follow up an exceptionally mild Dec with above average Jan and Feb too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

An incredibly mild night, currently 13C here in Meath and still 14C in some parts of the country. Ireland, England and The Netherlands are currently the warmest places in Europe, even the Costa Del Sol beach resorts are cooler. After that you have to go to the Sahara Desert or Israel/Nile regions for similar temperatures to here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Literally the same temperature in Dublin and Khartoum (one of the hottest cities on earth) tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Any chance we'll get some cool crisp weather at any stage? This endless grey and mild dampness is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I have given up on this winter delivering any decent cold. No doubt we will get a northerly outbreak in late March or early April bringing pure slushy muck on high ground. This non stop damp mild weather is doing my head in. The roads and fields are permanently wet and mucky and there's no drying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭appledrop

This day last year we had snow in Dublin. Not a huge amount but it was enough to make some snow balls!

It's currently 13 degrees today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Last winter was seen as a teaser winter, usually followed by a much colder winter. This year proves that this is not always the case and currently this winter is giving the pv of doom winter (winter 2019/2020) a run for it's money with mildness. There is still a chance February may deliver but the model output is not on our side if we want proper cold weather this winter.

Having said that we will have 2 cold days this week but it's only transitional low level cold which is still moving from west to east generally. Tuesday may struggle to get much above 4 or 5C then mild for Wednesday into Thursday. Friday looks like being another cold day with temperatures 3 or 4C then back to mild for the weekend.

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Advertisement

Good few stations recording 14 degrees at 2pm. Ridiculously mild for the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

I don’t know wether this is nationwide or just coastal areas

Status Yellow - Southwesterly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h with gusts of up to 100km/h, higher in coastal areas and on high ground. Localised wave overtopping is possible.

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Southwesterly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h with gusts of up to 100km/h, higher in coastal areas and on high ground.

Localised wave overtopping is possible.

Valid: 06:00 Saturday 01/01/2022 to 09:00 Saturday 01/01/2022

Issued: 14:44 Friday 31/12/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Had a high of 15.7C in Loughlinstown earlier.

My rhubarb thinks its spring:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Warmest autumn on record for Ireland. It's almost like the climate is changing, even the flat earthers here on boards must be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

Must have been close to a few location "date' records today, that the NWS in the US are so fond of reporting on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Happy New Year to you all, here's to a much better 2022 and not just for weather!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Shannon got up to 14.3C reported at 18.00, looks set go higher overnight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yes Happy New Year to all, to me felt a bit of a Bah Humbug this Christmas but here's hoping for a better 2022 !

There’s other threads for these discussions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Happy new year to all the weather gang on this, hopefully next year will be a better one and not just the weather 🎉😁❄️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Happy New Year everyone!

It's time to reflect on this year's weather from a Dublin perspective...

In summary, I found 2021 to be quite an enjoyable year for weather, however, it began to lose its charm in autumn. January was fairly decent, brought some light snowfalls and a severe frost on the 9th. However, having to call it the best January in 11 years shows how pathetic our winters have been in the last number of years. The first half of February continued with the wintry weather so I take that as a positive but unfortunately the second half was boring, which brings down the entire month.

March was passable, not much to say. April and May were both excellent and my favourite months from this year and my favourite April and May ever. April was record breaking cold at Dublin Airport, very sunny, exceptionally dry, brought snow showers on a number of days as well as interesting showers towards the end and had an astonishing number of frosts. My opinion of May was unpopular but it was another sunny month (the sunniest of the year), brought plenty of interesting convection, had a (very) brief but exceptionally heavy burst of rain on the 3rd, brought winter-like wet and windy conditions on the 20th, and a few unusually hard frosts for the time of year, with even lying snow on the mountains on the morning of the 6th. It was intriguing to see how long the chill persisted for and how late trees were to bloom. Unfortunately many people will continue to overlook how remarkable this pair of months was because they did not deliver the exact conditions desired by most.

June was boring but had plenty of useable weather nonetheless. July was of great interest, it had that stunning heatwave but the rest of the month was rubbish. It was giving July 2020 a run for its money in terms of dullness before the heatwave. The heatwave allowed the month to come out as the sunniest July since 2013, showing how exceptional it was. July did not really have much of a middleground in terms of weather, it was either completely rubbish or absolutely brilliant. I only experienced the first third of August, which was rubbish, although the morning of the 5th was intriguing in that it brought a rainfall that felt more like a winter rainfall than a summer rainfall, I can't really explain how though! Interestingly though, like with July, August was rivalling August 2020 for record dullness but the best spell of August weather in many many years towards the end saved it.

Autumn was largely boring so I won't comment too much on it although I didn't mind September and November.

December unfortunately has been an awful month with not much to show for itself. May brought harder frosts, colder minima (and the mean minimum temperature for the entire month was only 0.3C warmer than that of December's) and lying snow to the mountains, which I didn't see this month (although I could have just missed it)...

Hopefully we can get a bit of everything next year to keep everybody happy 🙂

15.1C here now near Tralee and quite blustery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Should I be worried !!!

What the feck is that at the bottom of the radar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Its gone now.

Very windy up here in the Reeks, long powerful gusts.

Looks like it's milder in the South West now 15c

• Registered Users Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Belmullet gusting 65 knots (120 km/h) at 5am

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A frost free (as in no sub zero temps) December near Roscrea, first since 2015 so not unique.

Happy New Year all

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Mild and windy near Trim. Out in a light top for a walk, slight warm ness in the breeze! Happy winter ❄️

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement