Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is there no PCR tests available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Golfwidow

Family member secured a PCR booking at 01:30 am a couple of nights ago. Last night, I happened to still be awake, watching TV so I chanced taking a look at 01:31 and there were a few slots , albeit not many available… worth a try at 01:30. My advice. I hope you get a slot!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Tried after 2am this morning, there were 2 appointments left and when I tried to book they just disappeared. Have been trying all day yesterday. Its a nightmare. My 2 children are coughing with sore throats and headaches. Negative antigen tests. Dr. Can't see them until they get Negative pcr test. I've just contacted our gp now to arrange pcr test, god know when that will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

What exactly are the pros/cons of a PCR?

I tested positive on antigen yesterday and have symptoms so I’m sure I have it and am isolating.

Is there a benefit or a downside to anybody if I do/don’t get PCR confirmation other than being included as an official statistic?

Text will come in a few hours, but appointment may not be for a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭stezie

Anyone who is not vaccinated , and has tested positive, and recovers, will get one of those freedom certs they only give out to vaccinated people prehaps

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭stezie

It's all a big business now .

Anitgen tests in shop have gone from €2.50 to €4.50.

Why aren't they provided free? Or at least VAT free...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They did see it coming and have been blue in the face warning people about it and asking people to follow recommendations and guidelines and also to get vaccinated so as to reduce the impact as much as possible.

Most people follow the guidelines and recommendation. But plenty also thought they were special and didn't. I have any amount of sympathy for the former but none for the latter if they find themselves panicking now over having to wait for a test

Vaccines are provided free. Did you get all your shots so far?

The companies who make the tests are paid regardless of whether the government pays for them or the individual. It is actually likely that the companies would be able to charge a higher price per unit had everything been bought directly by government and provided free to people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

• Advertisement

The only reason I would like to know is that I'm due my booster and don't want to risk taking the booster if our household has covid. I think you not suppose to vaccinate/boost if you currently have covid? If my kids have covid, we will continue to isolate.

New guidelines re testing, isolating etc.

https://www.thejournal.ie/latest-figures-covid-3-5642921-Dec2021/

“This evening, it was announced that there are to be changes to the testing regiment as well as a shortening of the self-isolation period of those who are Covid positive.

Those with symptoms aged 4-39 years should self-isolate immediately and undertake regular antigen tests rather than booking a PCR test, under the new rules. 

Also, those aged over 13, who have had their booster or are fully vaccinated should self-isolate for seven days from the onset of symptoms. They should only exit isolation after seven days if symptoms have substantially or fully resolved for the final two of those seven days.

Dr Tony Holohan said: “For the fourth time this week, we are reporting Ireland’s highest ever number of confirmed cases of Covid-19.

“The most effective way to minimise the risk of any of us transmitting this virus to others is to avoid mixing indoors with people from other households. I know this is not the advice any one of us wants to hear, particularly in advance of New Year celebrations. However, given the current profile of the disease, it is essential that all of us continue to keep our social contacts as low as possible in the days ahead.” “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

And plenty have kids in school, or have to go to work and come in contact with others.

can we start to realize the guidelines are designed to slow the spread as opposed to stop it and are designed to reduce numbers not eliminate it, they know people are going to get shot in the crossfire.

What are you on about with your last sentence? Are you only realising that now? We are nearly two years into this. How were you not aware of that from the start? People on these threads were blue in the face trying to explain that it was about keeping numbers down to protect the health service etc. How many times have I seen someone post that it was the difference between asking whether you'd want a record month of rainfall spread across an entire month, or in 24 hours.

Your first sentence is completely irrelevant. I had to make a trip to a shopping centre briefly today to pick up something essential. The first time I'd been in well over a month. I just went in, picked it up, paid and left. The amount of arseholes strolling around with masks half on or under their noses was unbelievable. Just because you have a kid in school doesn't prevent you from wearing a mask properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Still impossible to get a PCR. Must be a week now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Amazing.

Another 10 record breaking waves and we might get to the level needed.

Its fascinating also that people still have any faith in the ability of the HSE to accurately conduct medical testing of any fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I tested positive on antigen before Christmas, went straight on site during the day and booked test for Xmas eve, got lucky I know. Results back Xmas day, positive.

Gf antigen tested positive Xmas day, went on site after midnight bit of a struggle but booked her a test by about 1230. Results back in 24 hours, positive

Ex GF and her son tested positive antigen on 29th, she just got on to me to ask how I was and told me they are positive, I chanced it after midnight that night and got 2 tests in 2 sites by 1 a.m. for them. These tests are today.

Yes, site crashed and it was frustrating but just stick at it. There were thousands of appointments after midnight, you might have to do a bit of a drive but sure what else would you be doing if you have covid?

Have you tried your GP? The new guidelines suggest that under 40’s shouldn’t get a PCR but isolate and use antigens.

“Those with symptoms aged 4-39 years should self-isolate immediately and undertake regular antigen tests rather than booking a PCR test, under the new rules. 

Also, those aged over 13, who have had their booster or are fully vaccinated should self-isolate for seven days from the onset of symptoms. They should only exit isolation after seven days if symptoms have substantially or fully resolved for the final two of those seven days.“

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Trying to get a GP referral and they won't as they said HSE have advised GPs to get people to book through the website and not put through any referrals.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

I was referred for a test 48hours ago from our GP and still no appointment; to be fair I guess they can’t give out what they don’t have. It is beyond frustrating though

• Advertisement

• They’re charging for a phone consultation not the PCR referral.

still cheeky out, but yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I had a positive antigen test and then managed to book a PCR miles away.

I could see what the staff are having to go through out there, it cannot continue like this.

People who need it should have access to it 100%, but not the world and its mother.

Lots of changes needed.

I hope everybody on here gets one.

Yep. I had an hours drive but it was necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Got myself and two family members tested today. We all had next to zero symptoms other than an occasional blocked noise or occasionally cough. None of which is unusual for me at this time of year.

We only done an antigen test on the 27th after a parent of my daughter's friend tested positive. We all got positive antigen test results, repeated the test another 2 times with the same results. I'm double dosed with booster done on the 20th of December. Two daughters aged 13 and 10 both unvaccinated, I'm reluctant to get them vaccinated as my eldest had a really bad reaction soon after her getting the first HPV vaccine which resulted in hospitalisation. HSE aftercare and follow up to the reaction was non-existent.

I read this thread and between the noise of people arguing in the usual way they're are some posters actually posted good and specific details on how/when they got bookings. It seemed to me test slots only become available at midnight and the half hour mark afterwards. I got both of my daughter's appointments for today at 11:30am at Explorium National Sport & Science Center In D18 and myself a booking for in the Carlton Hotel by the airport for 2:30pm. I secured the bookings at midnight, 12:30 am and the final one 1:30 am.

Went to the Explorium today, a very well run setup and asked if they had capacity to do mine along with the girls, they said no as the labs only had capacity to test for what's been booked. Then I explained I had a booking in the Carlton for later that day and as it turned out the testing at the Explorium and the Carlton are run by the same company/lab and all 3 of us could be done in one sitting. From arrival , car queue, checking in and testing took 10 minutes. Was very happy to get us all done and the guys there where very friendly and professional.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I brought my 7 year old for a test the other day, asked could I also be tested, seeing I was a close contact of her and needed one.They said no, I needed a booking.(I had one privately for the next day, but was trying to save myself the trip)

I think if you are in the system for a booking, you should be able to get a test if you go along with another family member, but if you are not in the system for a test at all, they won't usually give you one

My brother had a few of us trying to book him a PCR since 24th. None of us were able to secure a slot. I stayed up after midnight a couple of times to try and get one because I heard new batches were released after midnight. I did see slots available but they were gone as soon as you clicked on them.

He told us not to bother trying to get a PCR slot anymore. He had a very mild dose and has been feeling better since 26th. He also got 2 negative antigens (after 4 positive ones) and completes his isolation on Sunday. He will never be counted as a positive case now, not that it really matters - but I wonder how many others are in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all. What actually is the advice now please? I am late 40’s, just tested positive in two out of three antigens. I called my GP to get a PCR but they said as I have no symptoms they can’t refer me. The Portal is obviously showing zero appointments, can’t get a private test. Feel like I’m in limbo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Is it difficult to secure an appointment because GPs have first preference ?

Anything I seen earlier on was this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭the corpo

This may have been posted already, but the system seems to recycle failed/time out bookings after the midnight rush. It seems to do this on the half hour, so if you can stay up, keep checking.

For example, I tried at midnight, thousands of spots available, all gone by 12.05 and I missed about. At 12.30 on the button, hundreds more were suddenly available, but gone in seconds. At 1am a smaller, but still significant amount came onstream. At 1.30, another smaller batch appeared and I managed to get one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

We're one of those in that boat. Three of us in our house. Impossible to book a test. Haven't heard of anyone actually getting a test except through a doctor and only if they have symptoms. Hence the high positively rate. My bet now is more people can't get a test than can get a test. So we are looking at tens of thousands of missed cases. Daily

The testing system has reached its capacity. 3.6 roentg.... sorry 20,000 cases daily. Not great. Not terrible. Let's keep the schools open....

• Advertisement

3 available in Galway for today

Nope. When you click on them, they are gone. It's always the same. Teasers 😉

Thought I had struck gold then, had the validation code, put all my personal details in then no longer available. Happy New Year everyone 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Can someone explain…

I had a positive antigen today, feeling crap but not the worst by any means. Eldest daughter also tested positive.. like everyone here I can’t get a PCR, if I don’t get a PCR I can’t get a recovery cert.

I also can’t get the booster now for 3 months due to having covid. So if the rules change saying you need a booster for your cert to be valid or you need a recovery cert, I will have neither and essentially be classed as unvaccinated.

surely they will need to sort this out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

you probably wont be alone in this situation, so i wouldnt panic, just look after yourself, wolf getting close to the door here also!

Ye I think you’re right, thankfully not to bad a bit achey but that’s all , hopefully it stays that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

I got a test booked after much trying late Tuesday night for yesterday morning. In Finlgas as it turned out.

Site kept crashing and even got a text with validation code at one stage when it crashed again. Kept trying and eventually got through the steps and put in the already received validation code which worked. Wife also got me a PCR test the next morning by going via my GP but cancelled that once she realised I'd already got one.

At the test centre (Thursday 30th Dec, 10am), there was about 20 cubicles but only about 4 of them had testers. There was no queue outside but there seemed to be a few people showing up who didn't have appointments as there was 2 queues there and I heard one woman say she was waiting to see if it was busy and could she be fitted in- she wasn't turned away but I don't know what happened after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

got one done in a private kip it was in a hotel and had to go to 2nd floor use lift etc , if i was a guest i would have a meltdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The HSE has under invested in laboratory services for decades.

Chronic staff shortages, 20 yearlong pay discrepancies. A vital part of the health service behind the scenes and swept under the rug.

Cervical check wasn't a big enough wake up call, It's taken a pandemic to cast the importance of this profession into the light.

Expected to implement a national service from nothing. The equipment is huge, it requires special rooms and safety cabinets. Labs have had to set up their covid rooms in converted store rooms.

It's crushing that there are a minority of medical and laboratory scientists working 24/7 to double and triple their workload week on week and still have the public **** all over it. Burnout doesn't come close to it.

All of this equipment is not a waste. It will be used to detect a range of viruses, which will reduce turnaround times, lead to quicker diagnosis and improved patient care in the future. This is investment that was badly needed anyway. Its just about 20 years too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭BrentMused

My local COVID test centre is literally 30 seconds walk away from my house.

I had to walk past a few times today on my way elsewhere, and on each of the 3 occasions the place was basically empty save for a couple of staff members chatting between themselves.

Yet, it's literally impossible to book a test at said centre.

Strange one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Tried to book at 12 and 12:30 as recommended. Nothing available.

I did notice that when they ask you for the date of the Antigen test you can no longer select 2021. Just 2022 in the year option. So you either lie and say you took the Covid test today or if you took the test in 2021 they clearly don't think you need to be tested anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bob b

If you try to put in the date of your antigen test the system breaks as there is only one option for the year - 2022. Looks like 2021 never happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

I just lied and put in 1 Jan 2022. Didn't do any good... Still no tests available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

The only ones I've seen pop up are ones in Swords and the odd one outside Dublin. Obviously gone by time I click into them 🙄

was trying to get one at 12, absolutely nothing. Why is it so difficult for them to set the website up similar to Ticketmaster whereby you enter a queuing system…. Actually I know why.

Went and got my son tested yesterday, the place was the quietest I've ever seen it. Was in and out in 7 mins..I don't understand it..and yet no appointments available. Just doesn't make any sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...and we could also do what ticketmaster does such as 'demand ticket pricing', that be some craic!

....are we running out of people to run the service?

A certain brand of Antigen test is under a lot of suspicion for giving false positives, this could be putting the PCR system under a lot of pressure

• Advertisement
Advertisement