Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Nope mine went through clearance from what i can tell while on the flight to Germany so didnt have to deal with it. All id guess is you've been caught up in the final christmas rush, ive had another package with an post that i paid customs on over a week ago and still no sign of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭builder22

Hello folks, happy Christmas.

Am in county limerick and have ordered starlink - expecting it to be delivered around second week in Jan. Anyone in Limerick have it installed and do you have recommendations for an installer?

Thanks

Just set it up in garden on the stand and getting 230 down which is over 10 times our previous speeds on a three 4g router so pretty delighted. Was too dark to put on the roof so will go up in the morning and attach to existing satellite poles using the shelly clamp method many on here have suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Installed my Starlink today :-). The speeds shown are both with laptop wired direct into the router.

On wifi I'm getting about 70Mb down using the Starlink router.

Delighted with the change - the difference of quality of image when streaming on the main TV is night & day :-)

How many people are using a different router than the Starlink supplied one?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Did u put it up? Is there much of a difference in speeds? Have mine about two months now and havnt bothered to put it up yet. Just wondering if there was much of a difference.

• Advertisement

Yeah got it done yesterday, not much difference so far, just more convenience as had to pass it through a window for where it was in the garden. With the roof mount Ive used their masonry kit to drill the wall for where the router will permanently live.

Once I got up there I wasn't happy with the existing poles stability so instead used an L bracket I'd bought as a backup and placed it in front of chimney breast facing south so it gets a bit of shelter but also isn't obstructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Ah I'll probably wait till the weather picks up so. I have going through wall already but just screwed down to an old garden table. Working well so for but will stick it on a chimney at some stage.

Yeah i managed to get a break in the weather yesterday so just went for it, if its working on a table theres no rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭garrettod

I'd far rather see the people in areas not serviced by decent broadband be given a decent grant, to help pay for Starlink, than see this latest national scam (oh, eh, sorry, national broadband plan) continue.

We could buy a hell of a lot of people a dish and a receiver box, for €3,500,000,000 or whatever the exact figure is!

Thanks,

G.

We have no idea how Starlink would cope with so many users, nor if they'd be happy with such a concentrated amount of users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

Tried to order this today, with the plus code it says available but when I update the shipping address it says that’s it’s invalid. Anybody here in counter this and how did you sort it?

I ordered it for 1 address, to be billed to a 2nd address and then had it shipped to a 3rd address so its definitely possible to use multiple addresses in the order process, maybe just double check and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

will try it on a different computer once I get to work and see will that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

the plus code will validate if its in an active cell. once validated it will allow the order to proceed. Then the account setup begins and the mac address of the modem unit ( which is in the dish ) is linked to the account. Only space x can reassign mac hardware Ids. The account billing can be to another address usually associated with the card used to setup payment. ( if the card validation errors out, the process will abort and may result in an invalid error.) lastly, delivery address can be different again from cell address and card payment billing address.

Regardless of delivery address, the process starts once the entered plus code is validated as being within an active cell. ( small caveat, the delivery address must be in the same country as the plus code, so space x can fulfil the customs, revenue and FCC admin, hence you avoid any nasty surprises when the van arrives ! )

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Crumble50

Ordered mine on Friday - paid in full so presume it will not be a very long wait! I cant cope with 4G & 1.2mb downloads any longer.

Does anyone know which units are shipping to Ireland or is it just chance.. round vs. square that is... kinda like the idea of the ethernet port as have lots of kit like mesh wifi system that I want to use with it?

In cavan BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hi all,

Just wondering what you latency is like over the last few months, is it getting better. I see Elon is making very optimistic claims that it will soon get to 20ms

I'm with imagine at the moment, which is fine during the day but turns to crap at peaks times, also has a 1T limit which with a family of 4 we are always close to going over it.

Can I ask a few of you to post regular speed test results please

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

No real change in latency to be honest. It stays at around 35ms for the most part sometimes up to - 50ms. Its also well able to handle multiple devices at the same time with no impact to latency or speeds. I run speed tests on the Xbox too and latency often comes in higher again around 60ms but for the most part online gaming is fine but if you are in anyways competitive you will notice some small issues at that ping.

Download speeds are always really good for me - averaging around 240Mb up, highest ive seen 350Mb and 25-30Mb down. These speeds can fluctuate but lowest ive seen personally was around 170Mb.

I should point out if you have Facebook or Instagram users in the house, Starlink is currently terrible for those services. Videos/pictures either will constantly buffer or just not load at all. Sometimes it works fine but its rare. Starlink acknowledged the problem but its been ongoing for over a year now with reports dating well back when searching online.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭pauly58

The download is usually around 250Mbs, ping around 40ms. Other than it is pretty expensive, I can't fault it. As to how many people can subscribe, I've never read how many can be in a cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Thanks for that, yep latency looks OK TBF, I assume all good in regards to Teams/Skype calls at that range.

Download and upload looks impressive, I'm currently paying €60 with imagine so I guess I could stretch it to €100 while I wait for NBS (at least 3 years away). Just need to come up with the initial cost

I use Zoom daily for work and zero issues. Also no problems with it over VPN.

The 100 euro a month is very expensive - I try and justify it that I am paying ~50 euro more to avoid much slower speeds and a capped service. Like that, I am down for 2025/26 for NBI so another ~4 years relying on Starlink. The hope is that in the meantime the monthly price will at some stage reduce but cant see that happening anytime soon unfortunately. I've given up hope of Fibre coming quicker than the 2025/26 timeframe too. That whole thing seems a shambles at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭pms7

As far as I know only US get rectangular one. Just get a switch if need more ethernet ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Hi folks,

Long time, no post ... but I had to come here to find out what people thought about Starlink.

I'm in very rural and mountainy Tipperary, spitting distance to the border with Limerick. I'm not a million miles away from @The Cush and am served by the same WISP that is shutting down their service in June this year. As with others, I'm in the 2025/2026 timeframe for NBI and I cannot rely on 4G, as it is too variable/unreliable.

Since COVID has moved my business to mainly online meetings/training, I upgraded my service with the WISP to a business package for €70pm, which gave me a 10/5Mbps service which has been very reliable and stable. I've enhanced that further by bonding a 3 AYCE SIM in a Huawei B525 modem. So when schools are in session I can get 25-30 down and 15-20 up, but when 3:30 comes around that basically drops to the 10/5. As I'm currently paying €90pm, the stretch to €100 won't kill me, but yes the initial outlay was a bit of an ask, though I came into a small few quid at Christmas, so that eased that burden.

I placed my order on the 4th, they took the full €560 and it was marked "Pending". I went to check on it's status now 1 week later and they show an estimated ship date of 20-26 January. It looks from the picture to be the round dish, which I hope so, as the only wireless thing in my house are the smartphones.

I will leave this here for now. its ever changing so just a snapshot in time.

That doesnt look correct base on what i know about where people have ordered it for, myself included

some cells have not been included yet in the update, my own cell included. it just a guide to how cells are opening up across ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Long time no post indeed, didn't realise you'd been away so long. Happy New Year to you all up there in Rearcross. Good luck with Starlink, let us know how you get on with the kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I developed a crippling Twitter addiction, which I am trying to wean myself off of a bit. 😋 I broke the F**ebook habit last year, so there is some hope for me. 😁

As soon as it starts moving, I'll keep y'all updated.

I can't tell for sure, as I can't zoom in on that, but I probably squeeze into that lone green cell to the right of Limerick City.

Post edited by ItHurtsWhenIP on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I assume I'm in that empty cell east of the Limerick city cell too and have been able to order for a while now.

• Advertisement

Yeah from that map I look to be in a white cell and I've had Starlink since October.

Advertisement