Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools to close again.. Covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

I count 3 personal insults in your post.

it is widespread … read the posts from parents in this thread and others. Good to see that you agree with me that this is not acceptable from teachers. Have you called this out where you have seen it? Or is it just me that you are personally attacking from behind your keyboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

Sweet Jesus not this again.

I feel like Marty McFly being dragged into the delorean for another sequel.

Yes, unfortunately this is becoming an issue again and likely to be of concern to parents.

Its perfectly valid to discuss how teaching continues (or not) during a school closure. Seems like teachers are the only ones trying to sweep this issue under the carpet. I wonder why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

🤣🤣🤣 To my embarrassment, I didn't realise it was the same unhinged door as the last time until well after I'd opened it

The hills are alive with the sound of cray cray!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

You didn't do yourself any favours by posting this the other day: "The one email a week thing happened in multiple schools both primary and secondary. Teachers here don’t like hearing this (and will defend lazy colleagues to the death) but it did happen and was fairly widespread. I did it myself with no consequences!!! And if schools close again it’ll happen again."

If you are getting on the moral high ground it's best to make sure it's fairly stable under your feet. Maybe a case of 'physician heal thyself' ahead of a potential on-line situation from next week? Get organised so you don't find yourself looking around saying "what about him/her?" when you get a tap on the shoulder from your Principal. Other than that it's a very abstract conversation about people who might or mightn't be involved in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭Deeec

I cannot say what happened in secondary schools but I can say that the ' 1 email a week' was widespread in primary schools. However this did improve in some schools during the second lockdown.

Teachinggal is right - many teachers here seem to be trying to bully her away. She's not wrong in what she is saying - I really wish teachers would call out the teachers who effectively stuck 2 fingers up at their students by ignoring their education - stop saying this didn't happen - it did and will happen again. They let your profession down.

And no having young Children is not an excuse to ignore your students and just send a list of work once a week - there is prerecorded lessons, typed notes etc that could be done instead of live lessons. Many professions still had to carry out their duties as completely normal while looking after young children.

Anyway that's my last post on the matter - I know noone will agree here with me. In the real world however many parents don't agree that all teachers worked to the best of their ability - most teachers however did do an excellent job - that doesn't excuse the teachers who didn't though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Im fed up with this virus. We decided we are going to go out and try to get ity to get it fucin over with. I think opening the schools will help us enormously with our new task.

Teaching Gal's own contribution would have been far more valuable if she'd given us an insight into why she only sent one email per week herself and was part of the problem. Is it lack of It skills, just plain laziness, lack of motivation or whatever? Rather strange to go calling out others as if she was an exemplar of good practice herself. Inevitably those double standards will attract the wrath of others.

I’m not sure why there is an obsession with me and what I did or didn’t do. I assume it’s an attempt to distract from the perfectly valid points I’m making.

Edit: @rosita - I have explained my own situation this but didn’t matter to the teachers on here. If you are being honest and genuinely interested I’ll pm you.

Nobody is saying she is wrong though.

People are just a bit taken aback by the fact that she "calls it out" in one breath and admits to being one of those who only sent the one email in the next breath.

Do you expect the many hardworking, insightful, regular contributors to this forum (posters who were teaching their full timetables to their students during the day and then coming here in the evening to discuss/give tutorials and advice to others on new technologies) to take a dressing down from someone of that ilk?

Have a read through her post history from about the time of the other school closures before you decide to back her up.

• Advertisement

I’m not giving anyone a “dressing down” ffs. I’m simply stating the fact - yes, the FACT - that many teachers did not work during lockdown. Teachers don’t like hearing that, and that is exactly why I’m getting attacked and personally insulted.

If you disagree with me and believe teachers should not have to work during lockdown because they have children or parents to look after I’ll respect your opinion. I disagree, but I respect your opinion.

@Banana - again, could you lay off the personal digs and insults please? I’m sure you have the ability to make your point without resorting to that level of debate. I hope that’s not how you treat colleagues and students that you disagree with.

Can you please quote my post where I said that teachers with children shouldn't have to work.

You have alleged a number of times that I said that, so please quote it.

Since you continue to avoid the question asked of you, re: consequences, here is a more straightforward one for you:

Why did you only send an email a week to your classes during lockdown?

@Bananaleaf - you seem to have ignored the comment by @Deeec as follows:

And no having young Children is not an excuse to ignore your students and just send a list of work once a week - there is prerecorded lessons, typed notes etc that could be done instead of live lessons. Many professions still had to carry out their duties as completely normal while looking after young children.

Why didn’t your friend do any prerecorded material or other flipped videos etc? She could have still done full classes asynchronously. Did she do anything at all apart from one email a week? Material could have been prepared when the child was asleep or the partner was available. Why was this not done?

TBH it seems very strange that you think this acceptable but you are clutching your pearls whenever I post.

You posted this last night:

“Edited to add: No, I don't think that all teachers who did one email a week to their students are sh1t teachers. A close friend of mine did it. But she had no other choice because she had her children at home during lockdown and one of them was very young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Oh ignore Teachinggal123, you can search for previous posts, not worth anyone's time.

Online learning improved as the pandemic went on but not everyone wants to learn a new skill. There are people in every department in the country not doing their jobs, and most buisnesses. It's the nature of any large organisation, you will have people who simply have no pride or motivation to do their job. Baffling to those who work hard but they are there. In teaching, in health, in Tusla, social welfare, everywhere. Unions have to protect everyone, look at teaching in the UK or some states in the US if you want a world without them. Again, like most large institutes they are flawed and need constant feedback and alteration from membership but we are a damn sight better off with them.

Echoing those above, the vast majority of teachers I know worked very hard during lockdown, most would hate to return to it though, it's not what we signed up for and it is not as effective. Socioeconomic disadvantage is compounded and its hard to recover those hard won gains. I hope if we do have to postpone going back it's a short, sharp shock of a week or two, with our vaccination rates this could be doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Aren't you the one who was on here about two years ago saying that you were pulled up for giving marks in FETAC exams for tasks students didn't complete. And your defence for that was 'the printer wasn't working in my room all year' and you were too damn lazy to go and ask anyone in your school to go and look at it. Total abdication of personal responsibility in your subject. And you spent a lot of time last year trashing teachers in the Covid forum to anyone who would listen. I think you need to look in the mirror.

Please reread my posts properly. If you are able to do that you will see that I did mention that she pre recorded lessons.

Gonna repeat my questions for you because it appears you missed those too:

Can you please quote the post from me me where I said that if you have children you shouldn't have to work online?

Why did you only send one weekly email to your students during online learning?

I find it very odd that you would offer to provide an explanation by PM while in other posts essentially saying there are no excuses. Best to leave it (the PM I mean) I think. Obviously an explanation at the same public level you have admonished others would not be inappropriate.

You specifically said:

No, I don't think that all teachers who did one email a week to their students are sh1t teachers. A close friend of mine did it. But she had no other choice because she had her children at home during lockdown and one of them was very young. “

Are you changing your story now and saying she did more than one email a week? What did she do? Why was she feeling awful?

Also, are you going to address @deec points above or continue to ignore them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

As someone in the middle of teacher training I can only hope the schools re-open. Almost every teacher I know feels the same, bar one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Any chance we could please not do this again?

Everyone should be working to the best of their ability from home. It is up to management, boards of management etc to police their individual staff. Not us here

Debating it on boards is just a crap shoot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

I remember the thread when the schools closed for the first time* and I remember the contributor who insisted they were a teacher who was enjoying the time off and making zero effort to continue teaching. I thought at the time that we were not hearing from a teacher but from somebody with a grudge, who was taking the opportunity to pretend to speak for teachers and to show them in the worst possible light.

No actual teacher would risk the damage to their professional reputation by neglecting students like that. Imagine standing in front of a class and asking them to pay attention and follow instructions after behaving like that! Imagine dealing with parents in matters of discipline or even just at parent teacher meetings after having gleefully abandoned their children! Absolutely nobody would put themselves in that position. Nobody.

I still think that the contributor in question is taking advantage of the anonymity of the internet to carry out a sad little crusade.

*Under a now-defunct username.

So you were not really interested then … just looking for another reason to attack me.

Bananaleaf, no point getting stressed in your holidays. She uses the Trump style of defence, deflect, deflect, deflect... ignore any questions asked that should have an easy answer and continually attack other posters. Just stick her on ignore.

@HazeDoll teachers are doing exactly what you say. There are multiple examples of teachers doing 1 email a week or less during lockdown. Parents on many threads confirming that, and other teachers on this thread saying the same.

• Advertisement

Is there still an ignore button on boards? Or is it possible to mute somebody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Were you getting much subbing in the first term? I really hope we do reopen, we have a couple of sub teachers/trainees, not being paid for them is a nightmare, must be even harder for people in that position.

We had kids too really dreading the lockdown, in fairness the staff and support staff are unreal but the level of wrap arounds we can offer in person are just so different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I remember the old threads mentioned earlier and yes, there is a very common if ironic theme to them.

Which is a pity. The thread title could be a good discussion point but will has already descended as the others have.

With the numbers at 20k and the real numbers probably closer to 30k as Holohan has said, I doubt schools will reopen.

NO 'actual' teacher wants to return to online teaching, apart from the obvious health reasons. Online teaching is only a temporary bridge in education. It was very poor to begin with but certainly has developed into a more adaptable and user friendly option. An option we don't want but will probably be forced upon us nonetheless.

Hopefully, if it does happen, it will only be for a week or two. The thoughts of predicted grades etc should be parked for the moment I think as it would be way too early to make that call.

Health issues and teaching & learning issues aside, my main issue with returning to online teaching is that the very vocal ISSU will be howling for predicted grades next week, without any real basis for it.

Guys, I'm sorry. Descention of thread was my fault. I should know better. Have the ignore thing done now, so🤐🤐🤐🙈

• Advertisement

No - not wishing to be disrespectful - not interested in a private explanation (public explanation might have value) from an anonymous person on such a forum. Why would I be? You have your own circumstances and that's your business. My only difficulty with you is after admitting you made little effort yourself you turned hunter on other imagined targets guilty of the same misdemeanour.

And if you call what I've done "attacking" you, you have a very sheltered existence indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Very busy with subbing and the supervision. I'm fortunate that I'm ok financially, so in that sense it isn't a problem if the schools don't re-open. But I certainly think that the kids are better off in school getting some work done. We have to live with this situation, so time we started living with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭History Queen

I can't figure it out since the changeover. Might be worth asking in feedback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I count three accurate descriptions of your carry on in this thread/at home while working from home. If you find them “personal” and “insults”, maybe you should have a think about yourself and how you carry on, both here and when you’re supposed to be working from home. I’d feel personally insulted if someone said that about me too, but in my case, it wouldn’t be the truth.

Yes, things will move with great agility and that debate will be front and centre very quickly. But I think no matter what happens with schools opening that's inevitable anyway. I even have come across people in the current Fifth year who are already talking about it for their year on the basis that they were deprived of their JC exams, and TY so disrupted. And I have come across teachers who favour it too.

As for predicted grades this year - I think even if schools open it'll be looked for. And in any event absenteeism will be so rife that schools opening will simply be for show. Will make no difference to disrupted learning. In fact it'll add to it as teachers will be able to do neither in-school or on-line satisfactorily with half a class in front of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I agree we have to live with it but not when we are getting over 20k daily positive cases.

When it returns to the pre-Christmas levels, the managebale levels, we can get on and live with it then. An extra 10% in hospitals daily does not bode well if the numbers continue. The knock on effect is that hospitals will become dangerously full, not even ICU, just beds. That is what they are afraid of happening and opening schools will allow the spread to continue at the current alarming rate.

I mentioned absenteeism earlier and if you have seriously big numbers I think you will have half full classes which is of no real benefit I think. Great experience and money for subs and students in 4th year of training college though.

Hopefully in 4 or 5 days the numbers go back down somewhat but it is looking doubtful, as you can see how impossible it is to get a booking for a pcr test currently.

We are all better off in school but only if the numbers go back down.

I count 7 or 8 personal insults which are definitely against site rules. Pathetic that some on here feel the need to resort to that level instead of debating the issues I am raising.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Can you give us a clue of where your school is so I can make sure my grandchildren avoid It? Thanks.

LOL “turned hunter”! I’m stating facts which teachers on here would prefer to ignore.

And yes I am getting attacked and personally insulted. If this was happening in your class to a student who had a view that the majority of other vocal students didn’t agree with would you tell them they had a “sheltered” existence? Interesting pedagogical approach!!!

But you're not a student in my class. Not sure why you try to make an inappropriate comparison. We treat children and adults differently - not sure why you want me to adopt a "pedagogical" approach with you.

• Advertisement

Over 20k again today, another 10% in hospital with Covid and as long as there is a serious demand for pcr tests, this number will stay steady unfiortunately I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Maybe instead of counting “personal insults” (that accurately reflect your self-proclaimed lack of work ethic and professional pride), you should prepare a few classes so you don’t have to just email your students once a week if the schools stay closed again in a few days.

I can't figure out why so many of you continue to engage with some contributors. You're playing their game and losing!

You are an anonymous poster on the Internet. You are not a colleague I work with daily. You are scrambling for comparators but there aren't any. This is a very specific environment with its own style of engagement.

I don't imagine, for example, you would challenge openly a colleague who wasn't active enough on on-line classes especially if your own performance left - by your own admission - something to be desired. But you do it here.

I know you are desperately looking for offence but there's isn't really any. You've just been fairly, reasonably, and civilly, challenged on fairly demonstrable double standards. No more but certainly no less.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Can I point out that school buildings closed, but schools didn't, please?

Indeed, and school buildings closed to students. I know of several teachers who did online classes from the school. Obviously when LCs were back anyway that was common practice.

I’m a bit shocked that you think the personal abuse - and it is exactly that and specifically against site rules - I’ve been subject to is “fair, reasonable and civil”. Again, I’d worry if this is the standard you apply to your teaching.

You should block me and join the other posters in their echo chamber. No dissenting voices will be tolerated, right?

I notice that Stephen Donnelly is being reported as saying schools will reopen in a car-crash interview (the part I heard) when he oscillated between telling us what was "government policy" and that he backed the Nphet advice on socialising tonight which is at variance with said government policy. A real struggle between the learned-off answer mentality and the need for real-world agility in a rapidly evolving situation.

But as a reminder of how easily and fluently these people lie, he's one from this day last year.

https://amp-rte-ie.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1187084/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16409645755863&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2F2020%2F1231%2F1187084-covid-school-closures%2F

I have directed no personal abuse towards you. If you think otherwise report the post.

• Advertisement

I think this is indicative of your posting style.

The above really should be a pm to a Mod.

Advertisement