Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d say we’ll see a hell of a lot of postponements over the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

This was likely to be a super spreader of latest variant so there will be some relief it has been postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Not looking so good for this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I see Michael Lowry has made most metres of any player in the first two rounds of Europe with 220. James Hume is second in 214.

Now OBVIOUSLY Ulster are one of only a few teams to have played two matches so comparing with other players is pointless...however in particular 214 metres over two matches for a centre is really impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Reuben Crothers getting good reviews from the U20s/Munster Development game. Captained, scored, played very well apparently.

• Advertisement

Anyone who captains the Ireland U20s is generally a decent prospect. Good to hear.

We seem to be developing some homegrown back rows at last.

Marcus Rea finally seems to be living up to potential

David McCann is getting better with every game.

Reuben Crothers captaining the U20s is a good sign.

Then there's that U19 James McNabney, so it all sounds promising.

Also I was watching the videos of the Ulster U18s/19s earlier in the season and there was an absolutely enormous No.8 playing for one of the Ulster sides. Think he is still at school so won't mention names, but he may be another to keep an eye on.

I see the Irish 20s bench 10 was an Ulster U19 player today, I'd be interested to hear if he is any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Ross Taylor is a centre, he was the ulster u19 player on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I was never optimistic about our backrow prospects tbh, but Rea has really put his hand up this year. Always thought Crothers was a little small as well, but he get's high praise from people who're a lot more knowledgeable than me, and the irish coaches must be impressed if they see him as captain. A good ball carrier is a profile we're probably missing from the academy, but we can't be too greedy I suppose.

Some quick searching online says that ross taylor is a centre, no idea if he can cover 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭ljsulster

Ulster have 3 Irish u18 back rows

Flynn longstaff- CCB/8

Josh Stevens- MCB/7

James McKillop- Foyle College/8

We do look to finally have a crop of good backrows coming through finally, just a matter of nurturing and developing them correctly.

Future’s not looking to bad

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Given the injuries it was probably a blessing in disguise. Only downside is a possible undercooked side for Europe

• Advertisement

Still holding out hope…. Allison will materialise and I’ll get to see a McCann/Rea/Allison.

In other news! Milasinovich is about to get game time! On loan with Saracens

I had forgotten all about Allison. He's still in the Academy.

And I came here to post the Milasinovich news. Bit of a weird one.

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/1476927929766617090?t=E5B86_DNB7ja4ot-pCF0jA&s=19

Cooney new contract, no mention of Length!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Another backrow signed as well and Addison signed a new deal, good bit of business but do Ulster really need another back row??

We do, just not a squad filler.

Reidy doesn’t seem to be able to play 80mins.

Murphy yet to play this season

Rea Snr goes awol

Vermuelen will need managed/rested and could be on international duty.

Anyone know much about Reffel. Is it to much to think McCall wouldn’t off load a dud to us?

Great news on Cooney and Addison. Cooney is essential to the way we play and he's a difference maker when he's at his best. Addison is always going to be an injury worry but there aren't too many players kicking about with his skill set. Great player when fit and he's probably a leader within the squad.

Honestly never heard of Sean Reffell. Quick google says he has a few appearances for Saracens and England u20's, managed 39 tackles in one game, and won their young player of the season last year, but you would wonder if they really rated him if they're letting him leave. Bit of an odd signing, probably more of a throw in for the Milasinovich loan rather than someone we were particularly chasing.

Sean Reidy is 32 so might wind down soon, and Jordi Murphy who's 30 and has been injured for ages now. I think the only other openside's we have in the squad are Timoney, who may well be away for periods with Ireland, and Marcus Rea who's upped his game but competition will do him good . McCann has been shoehorned there as well but hopefully he won't need to anymore.

Reffell is 23, IQ and probably cheap, so hopefully he's someone who can develop and be around the squad for years.

"23-year-old, Sean Reffell, will join Ulster from Saracens, where he was awarded the Young Player of the Season award for 2020/21. The Irish-qualified back row also holds the Saracens record for most tackles in a game, with 39 tackles made in the Premiership Rugby Cup semi-final versus Worcester in 2019.

Known for his impressive work-rate, the former England U20s openside has made close to 40 appearances for his current club since a debut in the Anglo-Welsh Cup in November 2017."

I'd say one of Murphy or Reidy is being cut loose or bumped down the pecking order.

Sorry Locke - your message wasn't up when I replied.

Reffell may also be hoping that he can carve out an international career at Ireland more easily than in England. He's IQ and he has only to look to Timoney to see how Ulster has facilitated a player working hard and earning caps after being overlooked elsewhere.

Good age to be joining, fit in with the backbone we’re starting to form!

Seriously young pack building, all under 25 and could sort us for next decade.

Hopefully Allison sees how Rea has just stepped up! Just fear with the Xmas games cancelled his annual chance has gone.

As much as I love our players, I really hope this isn't us sorted for the next decade. We would be in trouble lol

• Advertisement

Reid/Stewart/O’Toole

Izuchukuwu/ unknown

McCann/Rea/Timoney

That is a very inexperienced pack but give them a few seasons. Just think we have the age profile if it matures to seriously benefit us for the next decade!

Throw in Crothters, Ferrel, Allison and few others being mentioned.

When is the last time you could name a pack primarily home grown developing?

This squad is evolving, 2-3 seasons from now expect all the above will still be young but experienced.

*Obviously odd NIQ to bolster.

Sheridan at second row - impressed at U20s and for the As.

The fact that we have home grown forwards coming through means we're definitely making progress, but when I look at that list I think 'that's a start' rather than 'we're sorted' if you get what I mean. How many of those lads are likely to be first/second choice for Ireland in five years time or reach the likes of Henderson's level? There's plenty of potential but some of these names haven't really got a run of games yet and a few others I probably wouldn't mention as forming a backbone of a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I wonder is Sean Reffell related to Leicester's Tommy Reffell? He would be a good pickup for a province if so, looks a quality player.

I still find it extraordinary that our last homegrown produced international back row was Chris Henry and he retired 3 or 4 years ago.

Not sure how many, if any, of these young back rowers will play for Ireland, but you're right, to compete with Leinster, Clermont, Toulouse, Munster and Racing, we need 5 or 6 internationals in our pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

Don't know the contract lengths of Cooney and Addison. Odd that it was not mentioned in the press release.

Can imagine internally there was feedback during the recent press release when 2 players got 2 years and 3rd got 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm a bit surprised by the renewals of Cooney and Addison. They're great players, but both had compelling reasons to leave/not to be renewed. The former because he's a million miles out of the frame for Ireland contention for whatever reason. Thought Cooney would go to France on a big contract.

And the latter because of his appalling injury record. Addison has played just 31 games for Ulster and Ireland combined since his first appearance in September 2018.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Is Aaron Sexton injured or just struggling to get game time with so many quality wingers at Ulster?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

Struggling for game time. Has scored some fantastic tries for Malone in the AIL going by the highlights on the IRFU Social Media.

• Advertisement

Cooney is still vital to us. Doak is good and could be great, but Cooney is still the man. Clermont away proved this.

Addison is more debatable. When he is fit and playing well he is top class...a seriously classy player...a rolls Royce if you will...but he rarely plays and presumably isn't on a small contract. What I'm saying is that player quality wise it makes sense to keep him, but financially I don't know.

Ulster didn't announce the length of contracts for either player. It may be a year for both. A year for Addison to prove his fitness and a year for Cooney which means he is still a decent age to get a big contract in France and another year for Doak to develop.

Pure speculation on my part though.

Advertisement