Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Did a cold fast charge today from ~35% to 80%. Had hopes I might get something worth my while using the 150kW unit, but alas at 9C I only got 55kW. Would of been as well of using the 50kW, only there was a Mazda slow charging on it (not sure if active) and blocking the bay I needed to reach my port. Took me 40 minutes to get from 35% to 80%, but I was in no rush. A leaf popped in beside me towards the end and had to use the HPC. Didn't seem too clued in to the speeds/load balancing/costs, but he was only getting 35kW from what I seen.

TLDRL Cold charge at 9C from 35% got me 55kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Collection is next week! 😁 after 8 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Anyone have to get any bodywork repaired on their ID.4 yet?

Some gobsh1te undertook my wife when she was driving the car yesterday evening, managed to drag his wing mirror along the passenger side of our car (from the rear to front passenger doors).

I'd say the scratch is just under 1cm in width but is noticeable - any idea on roughly what it would cost to sort out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Would recommend Johnny in Car Cosmetix if you are Dublin based. Had my Model 3 repaired and was very happy, like new.

~€400

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Liam2021

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Liam2021

Inspection at 15000km has just popped up. Am I correct in thinking the id4 inspection is due at 30000km

Quick Question.

can you use multiple smartphones for the we connect ID app with the same account logged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Inspection at two years AFAIK (with no mileage specified I think?). I'm over 15k km now and got no notification re inspection.

• Advertisement

Sure it's a scratch? Wing mirror to paint might be superficial enough that a good polish would get it out. Pop some pics up when you get some light

If the battery is under 20 Deg C which it probably always will this time of the year then there's no advantage using the 150 Kw chargers and I found on the id3 that plugging in at 35% + won't give you decent speeds anyway so not worth paying more to use the 150 Kw chargers or Ionity especially, I found Ionity gives me 10 Kw more than the ESB 150 Kw. The only reason to pay for ionity is the fact you'll usually find a space. But it's sad to think that a modern EV with 77 KWh battery can't take advantage of the higher power network. The real issue is that the hardware is there to heat the battery to the required temp for fast charging but not used, it wasn't even a thoughts off VW techs and I feel that these techs/boses should have their diesels taken from them and made drive the EV and fast charge it and decide if they think that it's suitable in this day and age for a car with the tech to heat the battery doesn't and if they think these charging times are suitable in almost 2022.

I find that the battery temp which I can monitor with OBD dongle and EV Notify rarely gets above 12/13 deg C this time of year and driving doesn't seem to warm it up.

It's not just VW, Kia and Hyundai also have the hardware for pre-heating the battery but do not use it for fast charging.

VW have said that they will address the cold battery charging with version 3, now, I don't believe this because I heard it will require new hardware in the car and who's going to pay for this ? surely the owner shouldn't have to pay for hardware the car should have in the first place ? surely with the issues of microchip supplies it would take a very long time to replace all existing cars with this hardware ?

I got my id3 in Mid October and still haven't received V2.3 software so I have little hope VW will roll out V3 by the end of 2022 and even less hope they will address the poor charging curve when fast charging or addressing cold battery charging and will most likely have to buy a new car with all this hardware and updates from the factory, that's just my opinion judging by the disastrous v 2.3 roll out. I can't understand why updates are not on the servers in the Data Centre for all cars to find and download without it having to be pushed out to each car individually, it's utter madness.

However, it's my only major issue with the id cars, I really like my id3, it's a great car and so much range is really great and fast charging as a result of having such range will be pretty rare but it's when I need the charge I find it disappointing.

We need greater control over battery heating, an option for auto climate control of the battery or manual, manual being battery pre-heating on/off. Off for short trips when you don't want to waste so much energy but if cold enough will accept some loss of power and regen power. On will auto heat to the 12/13 degrees which is what it does now.

And an option in the menu that says, enable battery pre-heat for fast charging yes/no which will allow the battery to heat to the required temp for max fast charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If the battery is under 20 Deg C which it probably always will this time of the year then there's no advantage using the 150 Kw chargers

I find that the battery temp which I can monitor with OBD dongle and EV Notify rarely gets above 12/13 deg C this time of year and driving doesn't seem to warm it up.

On a motorway journey it will heat up unless you are in a really cold country. Slow driving wont. I did ~100km at motorway speed (ID.3) and it went from 14°C-20°C and I got 100kW charge speed so dont rule out 150kW chargers just because its cold outside.

VW have said that they will address the cold battery charging with version 3, now, I don't believe this because I heard it will require new hardware in the car and who's going to pay for this ?

The new hardware, according to VW, is required primarily in the 1st edition cars only(2020). I dont think it applies to all cars like you suggest. I think the BMS/ECU on the early production models does not take OTA updates or something and so it needs to be swapped out. I doubt you will need a hardware upgrade for your car unless it was built very early in 2021. Once you get your 2.3 update the subsequent updates should come too. We will be waiting for v3 alright though. If it comes before next winter that will do.

I can't understand why updates are not on the servers in the Data Centre for all cars to find and download without it having to be pushed out to each car individually, it's utter madness.

That would be nice alright. I can only speculate that VW want to control the updates both in terms of server load and more likely being conservative in the initial phases while they are learning the OTA concepts, which they are clearly still struggling with. They dont want to send an update out to 00000s of cars and find they have messed up. They are drip feeding the updates. VW are a conservative bunch as they are delivering at scale, so a small mistake in HQ can result in a massive cost once its out the door.

And an option in the menu that says, enable battery pre-heat for fast charging yes/no which will allow the battery to heat to the required temp for max fast charge.

The obvious one here is that it will heat to 20°C when you select a charge point as your destination in the sat nav, like Tesla do. VW have said they will do that. That cant be hard at all to do.

Post edited by KCross on

Got a few freebie storage inserts for the id4. Company making them are looking for feedback. The big one goes under the console, but by the looks of it it seems angled... Perhaps there's a LHD RHD difference.

One is supported to be an armrest cubby, but I've no idea how that will work. The small 2, I've no idea.

A few pics of them in action. Under console storage fits pretty well, and you wouldn't even notice any gaps without getting down on it.

Door storage is ok. Noticeable when you close the door obviously. I'll see how this goes over the next week or so.

Centre arm rest storage is a bit meh. Kinda seems like might be moulded for a different car, but happens to fit the id4. It's grand, and again I'll see how it goes this week.

Yeah I tried out the navigate to a charger thing but nope. No preheating. Arrived with 9°C battery. Previously I yoyo'd my way to the charger (hard acceleration and hard braking) and I got 18°C at the inlet. Got 78kW too. Was at a lower state of charge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

"The new hardware, according to VW, is required primarily in the 1st edition cars only(2020). I dont think it applies to all cars like you suggest. I think the BMS/ECU on the early production models does not take OTA updates or something and so it needs to be swapped out. I doubt you will need a hardware upgrade for your car unless it was built very early in 2021. Once you get your 2.3 update the subsequent updates should come too. We will be waiting for v3 alright though. If it comes before next winter that will do."

Not quiet right. All ID.3 and ID.4 cars that were built and delivered that received (or still waiting to receive) 2.3 OTA will require this, not just 1st editions. If your car was delivered with 2.3 already installed from the factory (so not delivered OTA) you have a slightly different BMS that is meant to be an improvement over the current version. I've yet to meet someone with this here but there are plenty of examples on the German forums.

AFAIK all of these cars will require a dealer visit in Q1 22, the 12v battery will be replaced and the ECUs that are not OTA capable will be flashed with the updated firmware which is supposed to make them OTA capable going forward, and these will not be replaced. It's not entirely clear if 2.3 factory delivered cars will need this, but at the moment it looks that way.

So once everyone is on 2.3 and is fully OTA capable VW can move onto to 3.0. Given the extremely slow rollout so far, I'd expect something will come out around the time of the World Cup...

Not quiet right. All ID.3 and ID.4 cars that were built and delivered that received (or still waiting to receive) 2.3 OTA will require this, not just 1st editions. If your car was delivered with 2.3 already installed from the factory (so not delivered OTA)

I read similar comments around that but I think the bit about "2.3 from the factory is the key thing" is just speculation from what I can tell. Has it actually been confirmed by someone you can trust and not just a randomer on the internet? I dont think it has. I'm just going on what VW have said on the forum.

I've never seen the id.3 battery at 20 Deg C from driving, it hardly moves from 12/13 Deg C even after a drive from Dublin - Carlow - Galway. I've seen it hit 20 deg when fast charging.

The only issue I have with the battery heating via map is that it will probably only work with VWs nav software but really, an option to preheat now would be nice or auto for those who want to use google maps and don't mind heating the battery themselves.

Be good when they allow the battery preheat from the mains, that was mental the id cars don't do this now but there needs to be option for no preheating to save battery % for short trips if that's what the driver wants.

• Advertisement

I've never seen the id.3 battery at 20 Deg C from driving, it hardly moves from 12/13 Deg C even after a drive from Dublin - Carlow - Galway. I've seen it hit 20 deg when fast charging.

I’ve never failed to get 100kW when on long journeys (even in winter) but they were long (1-2hrs) motorway journeys.

Maybe for you it’s different since you have the larger battery so maybe it’s harder to heat that or maybe being on older s/w has something to do with it. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this. Should be getting my ID4 in the next few weeks. What is the best home electricity plan in your opinions please or should this be a thread of its own? Thanks

I was having a look around and it seems electric Ireland looks cheap

Follow up on these.

The door handle inserts fell weird when closing the door, and because they're not deep enough, you can't wrap your hand inside them to get a great grip. We've removed these from the car now.

Centre console (armrest) insert is grand, but since it blocks off the existing storage, it's a bit wasteful. If it was half the size it might be useful as it can slide forward and back, but as it is it just blocks off the larger storage area. That said, I do like the easier access to it because it's higher up. It just needs an easier way to get it out of the way.

The lower centre console piece does what you'd expect. Fills an unused gap with storage. Nothing major being stored there, just coins, pens, maybe sunglasses

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Energia have 18.18c day rate and 8.72c night Rate at the moment (ex Vat).

Haven't spotted anything cheaper than that yet.

Edit: there's €135 credit on your account with the above rates as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No 41% discount rate.

The EV rate has a lower night rate by 2.95c but the day rate is 3.5c higher. So you'd have to be using an awful lot of electricity at night rate to make up the difference just to break even on the 41% rate.

I use about 60% of my electricity during the night rate hours. If the EV plan is the same hours as day/night it might be worth something.

Thats a moving target all the time and is very dependent on your usage.

Adding the car this year will change your usage alot and that entirely depends on how much driving you will do with the ID.4 and whether all that driving is going to be from home charging or do you have, for example, work charging available?

You need to decide whether you switch from a 24hr rate or a day/night rate. Or are you already on a day/night rate with your provider?

If you give us an idea of how many km's you are ikely to drive per year in the ID.4 we could advise further on how much that will add to your bill and then if you get out your bills for the last 12 months, tot up the figures (inc the ID.4 figures we give) and plug the values into one of the price comparison sites (Bonkers.ie etc), it will tell you where the best deal is right now, for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 n.os90

I ordered an ID4 business back in June. It may arrive this month but who knows. Talk about a dealers market at the moment with the shortage of cars. I’m looking at ID chargers and weighing up the pros and cons of the ID Charger vs the ID Charger Connect. Do I really need a phone app to monitor the charging on the wall box or is this a complete waste of money? Is there an app for the car where I can monitor the charge directly with the car instead of doing this through the wall box?

Advertisement