Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland: Meter not read for over a year

Options
  • 31-12-2021 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭

I got a letter from ESB and EI some months ago that said if I did not give in a reading and if I was overcharged I had a limited time to get an accurate reading in to have it corrected (reduced).

Turns out I gave in a reading the other day way beyond the date they gave, but it turned out I wasn't overcharged, I was undercharged.

So they adjusted the bill where my bill is now 2.5 times what it usually is.

Why is it it doesn't work the other way around, where they can't charge me beyond the date they gave.

So they were happy not to correct my bill if I was overcharged by a certain date, but are correcting the bill when it turns out I was undercharged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

In situations we're EI do estimated billing they generally work off an average usage based on last most up to date actual reading. EI have being winding down the physical meter reading service for quite some time in line with the roll out of smart meters.

As you said, it's been quite some time since you submitted any reading but in the mean time unit Tariff prices have increased substantially along with increases in government levies so these could also be partly to blame for your high bill.

On the positive side, all residential account holders will be getting a €100 credit from the gov in or around March.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

At least they spotted it. I am aware of a family who didn't understand the system and are facing a demand of 4 figures or payg meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well I didn't know about the credit so that's something.

Be nice if they got rid of the VAT as well :D

Advertisement