Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Not assumptions. She was going around making it known to everyone she was anti vax but hey ho...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

I see the media are going with covid outbreaks in prisons. Hmm do people actually give a fk about that? I really don't anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

They were doing loads of antigen tests on school kids in the UK. Made feck all difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

There's the big drop that's been coming. Great to see a drop of some sort heading into the bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

This is nothing new either. If this is a story they’re running with, they must be stuck for stories?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

These covid threads are like ping-pong all day😁

I've tried perusing them without contributing but I reckon they're still bad for my mental health

No and I'm sick of Stephen Donnelly saying there a safe place when there not and misguiding people about the numbers and putting school children down as catching it in the community and not in school.

People have suffered long enough with regards hospital appointments and cancellations which is the main issue. There is going to be a major scandal soon with regards this just so children can remain in school.

Schools should be kept open with 2 or 3 thousand a day but 20,000 a day and unable to schedule people in for tests they should be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Happy new year folks. A few months ago, I would have bet the house on us being in a much better situation than we are, but that's life I guess.

Wishing everyone a hopefully much improved 2022.

We're all real people behind the usernames, people with real hopes and fears. It's easy to demonise those we think are against our viewpoint. Everybody has their life experiences that have shaped their viewpoint. Hopefully this time next year this part of Boards will be shuttered and we'll be arguing about Garth Brooks concerts or loud exhausts off the neighbour's car :D

Boosters for me, Boosters for you, Boosters for everybody!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Looks like Denmark has peaked. Maxed out at 22,000 cases 3 days ago, reported 17,000 today with ever increasing numbers of tests..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

So if they're all not in school from 9-4, sitting 1.1m apart from each other, wearing masks and sanitising, where will they all be that is safer?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

From the perspective of someone who isn't a teacher the statement "I absolutely do consider my summer break a priority" is difficult for most people to get behind as a concept.

I have a small kid who has had their early education severely disrupted. At one point we weren't sure if this was down to his own capacity to learn what he was being taught, subsequent to evaluation that has only concluded recently we are able to rest assured that the problem doesn't lie with him, it was like a great number of his classmates down to the lost time and disruption caused by school closures during lockdown.

This caused significant distress to us as parents and left us unsure of our childs path through his education. As it turns out it was down to lost time, but at least his teacher's precious summer break wasn't effected.

Our older child wasn't as severely affected, having been in school for a number of years already the impact wasn't the same.

Then there are people who have kids with special needs, god only knows the impact they had to endure.

But your summer break is a priority. It's sentiments like the above that people take issue with, you somehow feel that equates to people putting teachers in the same bracket as clampers etc... That isn't one bit true but there are issues that teachers are miles away from the rest of the work force on that make people feel some disconnection from teachers, but the feigning martyrdom that's has been attempted previously on this thread is preposterous in the extreme.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You stated it was a rumour. If you want people to react to the facts you have to first outline them properly.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Jesus good to see the absolute vitriol for educators and their holidays (of which their yearly salary takes into account btw) is still alive and strong 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

We should celebrate them and pay them well

Seems to be mostly jealousy over the summer holiday overall

Have you actually walked past any secondary school at lunch time and in the morning before it starts?

Do you think going from class to class there 1.1m apart?

First off, I'm not a primary school teacher so I am not even going to insult you by pretending that I know how much or how little your child has missed. I'm also sorry that it has happened to you, believe that or not.

It has been awful for special needs students, I agree. Yes, I said that my summer holidays are a priority for me and they are, but I actually spent the month of July in school with special needs students from our school, catching them up on what they missed. I will point out, before someone else does, that this was paid work (somehow, the fact that it is paid work seems to lessen the quality of the catching up that was done, for some)

The question is why people would take such issue with me feeling like I deserve my holidays? Is that my issue? Or is it theirs? If people want to take issue with that, go right ahead. It is not the only reason why teachers feel they are placed in the same boat as clampers - I could give you plenty of examples of that and will if you want.

I am here. I am ready and willing to work. I am prepared to take exemption from the close contact isolation rule for those with no symptoms if it keeps absenteeism rates down. I have been live streaming (not every lesson, but about 50% of them, the other 50% of the time I send the work) while I teach for children and teenagers who are isolating at home, myself and another two colleagues in the same department take turns at giving an extra class in our subject on a Friday afternoon for Leaving Certs who missed time last year. Since the case numbers have been rising I have been getting back to grips with the new layout of Microsoft Teams so that I am aware of all the updates and changes since last year. So, I feel very justified in what I am saying, but I take your point that without this context, it seems an awful thing to say. (But again, why? My GP doesn't come in on a Sunday to clear her backlog of patients. Vodafone customer service don't stay beyond 5pm even though their wait times have doubled and you can never get through. Nobody else is queuing up to do additional, unpaid work that I can see) Problem with that though, is if you give too much context you're veering into martyrdom territory.

Do you think they are all going to stay in their houses if schools close?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Whatever about people's experience with education in the past (including mine), the current crop that I've encountered are exceptional. My daughter's (first level) teachers have gone above and beyond to keep the show on the road over the past couple of years. They certainly are underappreciated for the work they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dublenguy

Excellent post. I am on day 8 stuck in my bedroom. My views differ to the views of my family with the new restrictions, causing a lot of friction. I’m reasonably positive about next year. Need to see my time out. The knock on effects of COVID are what needs to be tackled in 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭greyday

Why, considering the extra holidays everyone of the teachers and kids have had off school?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Vodafone workers are not paid after 5pm surely? Nor are GPs on Sundays. Teachers are paid right through the year. According to the Irish Times, Irish secondary school teachers work for 33 weeks in the year. That number is 38 in England and 40 in Germany.

I think the issue most people have with teachers is that they have quite good conditions overall yet appear to be the most vocal group in the country about how hard they have it. Lots of workers have it far harder than teachers but just get on with it. Are there aspects of teachers’ jobs that are very difficult? Of course there are. Do teachers do tremendously valuable work? Of course they do. But it is worth remembering that teachers are funded by the State (i.e. the taxpayer) because they have a particularly important function in society (educating our children) in the same way that doctors and nurses have a particularly important function in society. Therefore, whether they like it or not, teachers, by virtue of their position, have a special responsibility to society. If that means teaching for 2 extra weeks in the summer, so be it, in my opinion. Of course you deserve holidays like everyone else but let’s keep things in perspective.

i really don’t want to start an argument. And I do apologise in advance if my comment seems too robust. Happy new year.

Do you think responsible parenting has a role to play in that?

So working from home never happened 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

According to the OECD Irish Teachers have one of the highest contact times (teach more) than many of their European colleagues, including England and Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

The most recent data I can find states that contact hours in Ireland are below the OECD average.

https://data.oecd.org/teachers/teaching-hours.htm#indicator-chart

Why what? I'm sorry I don't get the question. Also, what extra holidays?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Happy Year 3 of Covid!

• Advertisement

What parents are these? The ones who still have to go to work or are WFH?

A parent who has the time to sit over their child and has nothing else that needs to be done all day is not representative of your average parent.

If people were able to manage themselves all of the time, in theory there would have never been a need for restrictions.

I definitely don't believe that teachers are there to do the job of the parent, but the entire working day and arguably entire life of a parent revolves around the school calendar and has done since ..... well, since almost forever. I actually think this is where schools do need to step up, but I say all of this with my own personal circumstances and lifestyle in mind and I don't expect everyone to agree with me

Advertisement