Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools to close again.. Covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

It’s been a challenging few years all round and none of us are at our best.

But Christ almighty some posters would make you want to run into a wall at speed.

In other news, both Stephen Donnelly and Norma Foley have been on radio/on Twitter today saying that the decision has been made regarding school reopenings, it is happening. Let’s see how well this ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I just commented on what you actually said, and you called it “personal insults”.

Hey mods, feel free to punish me appropriately if any of you feel I’ve crossed the line between commenting on what this poster actually said and “personal insults”. I won’t protest.

Jesus this topic has fallen off a cliff.

Can the petty and childish squabbling be brought to pm so people who are actually interested in the topic get to share information or opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

You posted this yesterday:

“Just because you’re a lazy teacher and proud of it doesn’t mean that it’s widespread.

Whinging that you’re being targeted personally after bragging about doing a bad job doesn’t sound like any teacher I’ve ever met either.”

That is a personal attack in my book but we’ll wait to see what the mod says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Does anyone who used TEAMS in the last lockdown know where the whiteboard function is? I know they are saying we will be back but I'm going to prepare for both scenarios all the same.

I'm sure they have every intention on opening up as of right here, right now, but even if they didn't, there'd be no way they'd make that call on New Year's Eve, no matter how much they like their Friday night announcements!

The whiteboard function seems to have disappeared completely from Teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

Farcical really - TH saying not to meet up with even one other family inside tonight, and SD saying more than 30 people from different families can meet up no problem in a confined space from Thursday - when the situation will be even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I know what I said @teachinggal123 and stand by my assertion that that is an accurate reflection of what you said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Her tweet earlier has me questioning if we are reopening. The fact there is a Tuesday meeting is I'd say, see what hospital numbers are like.

Up until this afternoon I was 80% we'd reopen. Now I'm definitely more 50/50. Seems like a repeat of last December.

Hope we open. Online learning sucks.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

He was also quoted in the times today as saying he's not aware of any other countries where schools will close. He doesn't have to copy other countries policies to make a decision!!

Ya, if I'm standing in my classroom at 9:00 on January 6th with students in front of me then I'll believe schools are open, I'm going to be skeptical about any announcements until then.

• Advertisement

I found it - it's incorporated into the 'Share screen' function.

@The Valeyard it is crappy, but one thing that just occurred to me as I went through my online lessons from last year is that at least if we are online in Jan, it's the same stage in the course as it was last year when we were online too.

My 5th years this year are a different ability level to my 5th years last year (now 6ths) so a small bit of adapting will be needed, but for those of us who did it right the first time, at least some of the work is done. The Microsoft Forms comprehensions and the online language games that I made last year for 5ths can be used again this year for example. I used whiteboard a lot on teams and I took screen shots of all the explanations and sample answers I recorded for students to post into their Teams for their records, so I'm sure some of that will come in handy this time round if we do end up back online.

I know not everyone will have the same year groups this year as they had last year, but hopefully most of us will have something that we can either reuse or build on/adapt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Donnelly and Foley, I suppose, expose the underbelly of public policy in that everything is underpinned by an agreed position. This is the "collective responsibility" thing is practice where you cannot say something until it is kosher to do so.

To be fair to Donnelly, he might privately know that you don't recklessly open schools on 20k cases and with hospitalisations likely to double in a week, but when in an interview it's a binary matter.

If you say "to tell you the truth we'll have to see, Gavin, it doesn't look great to be honest" it'd be the lead story on the news tonight. It's not the most edifying spectacle but it's how the public service works. That's why you get plodders who would get light-headed if they had to go off script reaching great heights, and often talented people disaffected by the stultifying restriction.

They are repeating the default position. I could say to you "schools won't open". Evidence? None. Just a hunch.

But "schools will open?" How do I know? Check your school calendar - there in black and white.

But it means that in a fluid situation politicians' comments are no guarantee of anything.

Let me put it another way, in 2019 or 2020 the Minister for Education did not have to have a meeting with public health officials and what she will inevitably describe as "stakeholders" two days before schools went back.

Post edited by Rosita on

He shouldn't have to copy other countries' policies indeed. But he should check the Netherlands which has closed schools for a few extra weeks and announced it when schools got their holidays on 17th December. Didn't feel the need to leave it until the latest possible moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

If worst comes to worst and we are closed do ye think some teachers will still be able to work from the school? We were live teaching per timetable last year and my WiFi at home is not good enough to support this so I'd need to work from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

I did during the lockdown this time last year - as did many if my colleagues.

I was in A position that I could as have gone beyond needing childcare etc but I understand not everybody is jn the same position.

yeah I'd say that will be totally fine. If there is a closure again this year, I would like to think that the Dept will come up with a more sophisticated approach than 'full closure', which could well be what the Tuesday meetings are about. ASD classes and Special school settings should not go back online for example and if they are serious about a Leaving Cert, 6th years should be back too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

No one needs another reason. You're doing all the work for them! It's a pity you didn't put the same effort into your pupils education.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

If the epidemiological outlook is good enough to bring Leaving Certs and all the teachers needed to teach them into school from next Thursday then they should bring everyone in. It shouldn't even be a debate.

Possibly, but the same point could be made about being in the pub at 19.55 and 20.10, but look at what they went and did there...

Reduced numbers = reduced opportunity for transmission and I'd imagine that is the way they will be looking at it

• Advertisement

I don't see why not. We are not confined by 2k/5k radius from home, I think some teachers went into my school in January because their wifi was crap.

In theory I'd agree, but if numbers are as high as they are, LCs will be hit just as much as everyone else. Probably better to have them all online for say 2 weeks than have a handful in the classroom and some trying to listen in from home, or duplicating the work because you're putting it on teams after class.

No recruitment/appointment for the LC/JC exams yet either, or timetable for that matter.

Yes! We were just saying that in our house the other day - we never got the form to return to say if we were interested. I'm trying to remember what happened last year - I don't think we got a form then either? Just an email that had to be replied to that same day (may have been as late as April) with the word "Yes" if you were willing to Superintend

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ll31

I'd worry for primary school students if schools don't open. Younger kids in primary need someone beside them full time if they're to get anything from online teaching. And tbh some of the so-called online teaching was fairly abysmal in primary. An email a week type abysmal. It is really not fair to children to do this again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Correcting was late last year too, an ad hoc....."are you doing it" letter sent to previous correctors. They'll struggle with full numbers to find willing correctors if the JC goes ahead I'd imagine!

People in schools are not getting progressively more inebriated as the day goes by anyway, though I'm sure some must be tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep a few teachers did this in our school last year aswell so don't see it as an issue.

Obviously you just stay in your room + don't mix with anyone else when in.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Honestly I think the current numbers spell the end of the JC and LC with just the current changes and will likely result in predicted grades. I have never been so far behind with junior certs, every teacher is saying it. Absenteeism is so high it’s incredibly hard to make progress in any course (I have some weaker groups this year)

Our school and every school I know locally is on their knees trying to stay open and it’s only by completely unqualified substitution cover or teachers thrown in last minute l. I took a 2nd year maths class P6 in early December, they haven’t been ‘taught’ all day at that point. (Admittedly had one class a double). I couldn’t teach the subject they were supposed to have so I just scrapped any of my own work that needed doing and did maths with them instead

Im very high risk albeit boosted and I’d be very nervous of going back with these numbers. Catching covid (even a mild case) would also mean a two month delay on an operation I’m waiting for. Even so I hated online and think I’d still prefer to be in the building freezing and teaching through an N95. At least I know the kids are there as opposed to a black screen of 30 cameras off and ringing silence.

Thankfully we do have childcare sorted since the lockdown one chaos and that is available regardless of whether we are fully open. Albeit it will be more expensive for us as it’s more hours

I doubt these decisions were ever taken because they were judged to be fair...........to be fair! The toothpaste is out of the tube on young Primary kids too like never before - nobody believes they don't cause infection spread and the younger ones remain unmasked.

• Advertisement

Also have moved the LC music into the Easter break but no mention of the JC music or home ec exams except to say they’ll be run in school time. I’ve no idea how they get done with the current crisis of substitution and space (our school is bursting due to overflow rooms for covid)

I'm not a primary teacher, but I'd imagine it is very very hard - for teacher and for student, but moreso for student - at primary level, to be online all day. They really do need someone beside them all day.

Hopefully this is all speculation over nothing. Try not to worry just yet

I totally agree with this. I certainly know that I'd have half my LC group out - some come and go as they please anyway. Those who wouldn't be in (and there'd be plenty with infection rates as high as they are) would lose out completely.

Absenteeism is such a major unacknowledged problem currently except by staff trying to keep them up to speed

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I still believe they will delay schools going back for at least a week.

I have always been suspect about schools are safe environment propaganda. I was also shocked to see no ventilators in September and still no sign of them by Dec. Aghast I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

Why don't they just call it now, what annoys me is the unneccessary drama

I need to know are my children back the 6th or not , if not I need to sort it with work and arrange whatever state payment I can get

I am like the majority if workers in this country, my employer will not pay me and I will be under pressure to pay bills

But regardless stop dithering and just call it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

They've put a cap on PCR testing 4-39 year olds so in true Department of Ed fashion... If you don't test then it doesn't exist (Just like the Junior Cycle at this stage 🤣).

Norma says wait till Tuesday.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

At least this time she is talking to the unions. I agree that parents deserve more notice. What miracle will occur the next few days?? The second coming?They could call it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

I might be giving her too much credit, but maybe this year she wants to make a full statement when she makes it.

Last year, it went from 3 extra days holidays, to special Ed only, to 6th Years… to remote teaching til whenever.

We waited til the end of February to hear plans for LC and JC.

Maybe Tuesday evening she will announce the full plan, because nobody will believe ‘all will be as normal’.

The uncertainty is a killer. You can be sure of nothing any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭connected1

Absolutely they should call it now. In fact, they should really have called it before the holidays. This nonsense of the schools are safe, the schools will reooen" up until the 11th hour is so ridiculous. At least give parents time to plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

The fact that we are all calling for them to ‘call it’ when they have very clearly said schools will be back shows that we don’t believe them.

If there was nuance in their statements they’d have some hope people would believe them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

They could say for example Jan 17 th and re viewed a week in advance

If the schools close I am probably going to ship my kids to family in England for the duration of the closure

Have no choice as I need my wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Ventilators? Yikes! Things are way worse in schools than I had realised.

What will a 1 week delay achieve? What changes after that week that makes schools in any way safer than they were the week before? The answer is of course nothing. If there's any delay at all it will be next to impossible to reopen schools for weeks to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭jackboy

Exactly. Any suggestion from unions, NPHET or the government of a short delay will be lies. Schools will either open or stay shut for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

A short, sharp closure could absolutely work now. The delay the last time was to allow for the vulnerable to be vaccinated, worth keeping things shut for as long as we did. This time you just need to quash it in the population, whatever is seeded over Christmas, with current high vaccination rates the maths is wildly different from last year.

17th of January could easily do this, or certainly help. Take back the discretionary Easter days and you'd only be talking about 3/4 days out of school really. Honestly we won't have the staff to open next week anyway or very close to not having it, we won't be the only school!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭jackboy

Can’t see how that would work. With no criteria for reopening what could possibly trigger the schools to go back. How can you be so sure things will so dramatically improve in such a short period of time?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It took 7?8? Weeks last time, and a lot of pressure to reopen just for the younger end of primary.Some secondary school students weren't in school til the middle of April.

At the rate this thing is accelerating, it might be end April/end May by the time we could look at "safely" reopening schools, and it would mean having everything closed at the same time to achieve the desired effect.

Is that a road we really want to go down (again?)? For the third year running? I can't say whether I agree or disagree with closing schools to be honest; on one hand, cases are high and yeah, we have not opened schools in such situations -but on the other hand we are are almost all vaccinated; we are rolling out boosters and kid's vaccines; closing schools won't achieve much on it's own, many other sectors will have to close too, which is an extremely hard argument when everyone is vaccinated - and most likely won't prevent people from mixing in houses; online schooling just does not work, and then how do you rejudge when to open??It is a very tricky decision, but on balance, letting schools open seems like a marginally better option, although I appreciate staffing shortages are a major obstacle.

I don't see what way this will go, but I am with most other parents in not trusting or believing a word coming out of anybody.

I don't ever get the logic of why a delay makes reopening more difficult. It doesn't follow. If there's a need for a delay it's (presumably) because of infection rates. It's reopening is difficult it (presumably) can only be because of infection rates. The idea that one (a delay) affects the other (eventual reopening) is a logical fallacy. They are both symptoms of a problem rather than one causing the other. In fact if there's any connection between the two it's a positive one as not having people in schools for a few weeks would allow installation of whatever equipment they are pretending they'll install.

I agree with the idea, though, that closing for a week is pointless. If they don't reopen it seems logical that it would be in line with the current date on other restrictions (end of Jan). The situation with infection rates and hospitalisation will be worse on 13th January than 6th January so closing for a week would be a badly judged fudge and would lead to embarrassing announcements a few days later again, confirming the stereotypical indecision and equivocation.

Can't see the schools reopening if the peak of cases is not expected until mid January. I do not want my children to miss the full experience of school but for their safety would prefer a short term closure until cases settle.

A government decision would trigger the schools going back. That's easy.

How can anyone be sure things will improve dramatically? Nobody can. Previous experience (last January/February) suggests that if the right measures are taken quite significant improvements can happen relatively quickly. But certainty is a staggeringly high bar with which to measure decision-making. You'll not decide much if you have to wait to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I agree there's no logical reason to the whole "if we don't open this week we won't open for ages". But the politics of it all means this will be the case.

The government want to open as scheduled. The unions don't. If the government cede to the unions then they (the unions) have their precedent of "well you agreed the numbers were too high last week. They're still not looking great so you must be having a laugh if you're considering reopening this week".

• Advertisement
Advertisement