Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm not disputing the figure, merely saying that it's an impressive one

OP could also just be pointing out that the UK would potentially allow that number into a nightclub... England specifically I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

But outdoor areas in Trafalgar Square were fenced off for NY celebrations..... outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Relax Helen Lovejoy, I'm sure the pensioners weren't busting moves on the dancefloor

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Paul Reid, Army driver and sponsored BMW 😳, How ironic his €429k salary being discussed here yesterday, intriguingly, despite not just the extraordinary salary, a sponsored car and Army driver supplied and paid for by the defence forces and BMW, he somehow managed to slip in a claim for car Allowances of €20k last year 😳

Seperately and without cabinet approval, it would seem "Senior Ministers" getting their ministerial cars back with 2 garda drivers 😳

I can see merit in any minister facing treats, protests outside their homes because of pandemic related issues but an open cheque book on Mercs & PERKS, will, I suspect get some reactions in the coming days.

Happy New Year all

Government Ministers and indeed Paul Reid assured of one 😳

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

That Paul Reid story (if true) is quite extraordinary. A sponsored car? An army driver? A 20k allowance on top of the driver and sponsored car?

I can understand why senior Ministers need Garda protection. This decision was taken by the Garda Commissioner for good reason. There are some loonies out there and there have been well flagged incidents in recent months, which could have had real consequences.

Edit: This is probably not an issue for this thread but have not seen elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Yes agreed, slightly off Topic but coincidentally Reids salary discussed yesterday, Da'examiner have had some pretty good scoop's over the past year, I suspect they've checked their sources.

On the wider topic of Ministerial garda protection, yes I agree but only to an extent, those who are clearly being targeted by loonies, my fear is this will turn into another free for all with Mercs and Perks.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

As a non-Irish living here, I have to say, and I might get some flak for this (guess what : don't care) reluctantly, regrettably and ashamedly; that I have been absolutely shocked by how passive and obsequious the Irish public has been through all of this. Almost every other European country have shown more care and anger at the suspension of less of their liberty for shorter periods of time. The land of the rebels?

I genuinely worry about the future of this country,I think a lot of people will struggle with the return to normal that will inevitably occur, eventually. Rte and the other large media outlets have been obscene in their engagement on this whole issue and have whipped the public up into a frenzy for a virus with at least 99% survival rate (best guesses are 99.7% currently across population as a whole)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No I didn't mean that. BBC1. The optics are powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Not that long ago since men in black telling fairy stories could convince people to disown their daughters for doing one of the most natural things a human can do.

Yes. We need to give them about 2 weeks before they start to stop the spread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

That’s because they normally get over 100,000 people watching the fireworks. Having been in London in December there is no comparison, everything is open and normal there, just New Years even they stopped the 100k people party, which is fair I guess.

The saddest part is that society at large knew it wasn’t right, but went along with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

....delete...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If you know the not so distant past of Irish history, you can understand why.

It is even more frustrating, depressing and infuriating to be watching it as an Irish person born in the 80s and to realise that we have learned nothing.Or that we refuse to accept what SHOULD have been learned from those decades our parents and grandparents were born into.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭billyhead

There's no need to bring the Catholic church into the debate. It's uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

As an Irish person living abroad, I completely agree with this assessment. I see already family members being scared to do normal things, like visit their own children in different counties, let alone travel overseas to other family members (me 😔). It's sad. Triple jabbed and living in fear

It worries me. It's sad, I concur. I think damage has occurred to the psyche of many people. Some will be fine, others fine a bit later but some may never be fine completely.

Yes, some level of caution is required with c-19 but we really have lost perspective and proportionality in this country.

If my situation allowed, I'd be out of here like a shot to be honest. The next crisis will provoke the same or worse reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Not really. It's the same mentality. Do the rituals to "stay safe", those who don't are "selfish" aka sinners, and deserve to be judged and punished

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

We're a strange nation, so quick to condemn what happened in the past yet the same characteristics and personalities are present today in how we are dealing with the pandemic.

We are predominantly a very cautious nation, case in point is the general consensus to motorbikes. Compared to UK or mainland Europe we don't use or encourage 2 wheeled transport. If you're stopped for a coffee, randomers are quick to tell you how damgerous they are or how their mates uncle's cousin was killed off one.

We're obsessed with our own mortality and I think that explains a lot of how the nation has accepted and followed everything the "man on telly' has said over the last 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I agree, but I’d go further - what upsets me the most is how easily the media was able to turn us against each other, and start blaming each other. And the use of dodgy statistics and graphs to justify anything. I took the vaccine, but I don’t feel part of this country at the moment, the stupid covid cert makes me so angry and depressed, I avoid having to show it so I don’t have to feel like I’m in some dystopian alternative universe. The general acceptance of these, and especially the relish of some for being in the club, has affected me more than anything else about the last two years.

Good information, I was not aware of this (RE motorbikes), thank you. In my home nation, I grew up in a small seaside town - small-town syndrome was rife there. I think Ireland suffers from this, writ large.

Yes, the vaccine passports and the vaccination coercion scheme are a primary complaint of mine also. I've said it before elsewhere on here but coercion is a fundamentally and exceptionally poor choice of strategy for public health measures.

I have taken 2 shots and booster, not because I am concerned about contracting the virus - but because of international travel that I need to use in order to see family abroad.

I've not set foot in a restaurant in Ireland since march 2020, primarily due to the vaccine pass nonsense, it's not a game that I wish to engage in. I have eaten in other restaurants in Europe where such passes are not required.

The problem is though, the vaccine pass is not specific to Ireland - many other EU nations (at their folly, because it hasn't and won't reduce transmission) have also implemented it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭mattser

They're the handful of workshy wasters who live on Boards etc 24/7.

It’s the workshy who lap up Tony’s every judgement. Most of the people complaining are the better educated, harder working people who just want to get on with it and improve the quality of life for their family.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm getting deeply concerned about my and my family's future in Ireland. And it's not NPHET nor the government that concerns me really.. it's the Irish public. I simply don't identify with the majority of them. We've too easily acquiesced to civil liberties being removed by legislation, the introduction of digital tagging, cheerleading the scapegoating of an almost irrelevant cohort of Irish people, suspension of education, a complete lack of critical thinking where "just in case" has become a wholly accepted justification for taking away basic freedoms. It's opened my eyes to who we are and why we have sustained so many scandals over the years. Look the other way and don't rock the boat is alive and well here.

The government may change but the people clearly won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You did a better job of summing up exactly how I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I see the indo lead with the headline if 50k and peak might not be for 2 weeks. Hopefully we reach 100k in less than that. We all know that the hospitals arent under any more pressure than usual for this time of year. And with whatis coming to light about reid......we must all be thick. We constantly let the likes of reid and others off the hook. A joke is all we are and they politicians know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭billyhead

As someone said Tony Houlihan is only doing the job he was paid for. You would be damned if you do and damned if you don't. If people don't accept his advice. Fine do you're own thing but to constantly berate him and accuse him of pontificating every chance he gets is wrong

Post edited by billyhead on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Youre interpreting my post wrong way round 😁

• Advertisement

Well, in a representative democracy, the government is a 'representation'; of the public.

So you are quite right to be pointing fingers at the public, it is them that propel the restrictions - in many senses.

In my opinion, it's not until we realise that living under an authoritarian-type government is worse than accepting a level of risk that we will avoid the toggling of our civil liberties. This is quite a sophisticated opinion to arrive at because it means that we have to allow at least some level of risk. The problem is, modern societies in the west (but particularly Ireland) are becoming increasingly risk-averse.

The more mundane and every-day the risk we want protection from (I am not saying C-19 is mundane), the more of our liberty will disappear. For example speed limiters in cars, potential smoking ban etc etc. We can reduce risk, but it usually reduces liberty.

Advertisement