Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools to close again.. Covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

I don't understand how you on the one hand suggest schools should, on balance, open now while at the same time regard a decision on reopening a few weeks down the road as fraught with problems (when presumably things will have improved). Why does an active decision to reopen later have to be so much more difficult than the passive decision of not changing the original date.

I understand arguments to not physically reopen schools. I understand arguments to do so anyway irrespective of the situation. What I don't understand why not physically reopening them has to turn people into scared indecisive wrecks a few weeks later unable to decide when to act.

Sorry, this has cropped up a few times about the Unions.

Have you a source for this - that the unions are against opening up. I just have seen it mentioned a few times but have not seen comments from the Unions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

The orals are happening over Easter, so I don’t think we can go to school then too, the whole point of that was to release examiners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

The schools opening have never and will not be decided by logic, that’s where people are misinterpreting what is going to happen. If we shut the schools with no criteria for reopening the government cannot reopen without permission from the unions. The unions will be cautious and also will have no criteria for reopening. That is why reopening is difficult every single time. Just opening at the usual time after Christmas is much much easier.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

"For their safety"? What's going to happen them if they get it? A bit of a head cold? This thing doesn't affect kids in the same way as adults.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It doesn't have to.

But past performance by our leaders would suggest that they procrastinate around making these decisions.

Any government worth its salt will avoid specific criteria. Look at the famous "road map" for opening hospitality which meant that the government opened nightclubs as cases were beginning to get out of hand. If there was no "road map", no specific date given they could have fudged this.

I won't discuss what the Unions "will or won't" have as I can't predict the future. But if schools were to not reopen, what criteria would YOU suggest for reopening. Just curious as to how this would work in practice.

They need to explain why they are closing and what will need to happen for reopening to occur. That could include case numbers, hospital numbers or ICU numbers. Or maybe reopening could occur when air hygiene in classrooms has been sorted out.

These are only examples, the criteria would need to be decided scientifically using measurable parameters. The road map you mentioned was not based on criteria.

• Advertisement

But a "peak" is a relative term. It tells nothing the trajectory or pace of change. You could still have very high figures for weeks. That's not saying we will - I don't know, but I don't think a notional "peak" is a reliable landmark for an immediate decision a week after schools are due to go back. We have had illusory peaks in the past. Closing for a week won't happen. It'll be longer or not at all.

The "sorting out" of air hygiene in schools doesn't sound like the most specific criterion I've ever heard.

Your answer sounds like the modern management idea that once there's targets and policies everything else will adhere. Not so sure it works like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Last January, with no vaccinations, we went from over 8000 cases on the 7th of January to less than 1300 by the end of January.....with very little of the population vaccinated. That's a 500% decrease, we could have opened then but we were playing for time to vaccinate the elderly and compromised, this isn't the case now. Reopening could simply be contingent on contact tracing and PCR testing being possible again.

The dutch have already extended the holidays. Modelling would give the impression that giving 2/3 weeks of restrictions should kill the virus within the community. A huge amount depends on whether that's the aim or not. It's possible, if ICUs remain stable, that playing for endemic status is on the cards. But none of this will be fully clear until next week. New varients are a killer but the levels by mid January, with a less transmissibke varient wouldn't fill me with confidence.

I hate online teaching to be clear, but confusing my desire to have schools open with epidemiological patterns won't keep hospitals from being overrun. Even though it won't give much time to prep I'd rather they wait and see but the patterns do look somewhat consistent. How many schools will not have enough staff come the 5th?

My children were in a very serious RTC last year and have reoccuring injuries from it. I don't want them having to return to hospital with things as they are. I am also due my baby in 6 weeks so want to reduce risk of exposure.

Life isn't black and white. People have legitimate worries and concerns.

As opposed to your ideas that schools should be closed and reopened based on some politicians ‘feelings’.

• Advertisement

It won't matter what anybody thinks here. Make your feelings known to politicians or union officials.

Nphet will call it but they are not fully sure of anything. There is no definitive guide to covid.

I expect 100% there will be a delay to opening schools.

Have a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

The problem is that the government and the unions will meet and decide what's the best way to proceed

It will not matter that teachers are vaccinated as are some pupils and children are not affected by this virus

What will matter is power, unions want more of it and politicians need to get re elected

Let's see who wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

This x1000 , it's not so much about COVID affecting general population or majority of kids being not as affected or "shur we're nearly all vaccinated now", it's all about ensuring continuity in hospitals.

When they get overrun it'll be cancelled operations, cancer treatments postponed and decisions about who lives and dies in ICU .

Consider the possibility of health system is crashing and not only that but yet another variant Comes through !!

You're into stockpiling and food shortages then.

The situation with schools in the Netherlands seems to have bypassed S. Donnelly and T. Holohan and it was announced back in mid-December. They could've not said "we know of no other country.........." and they'd have a little more credibility today.

Not sure I mentioned the word "feelings" did I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I did think that was very strange. It was well publiscised at the time. It seems mad to be reopening when we can't contact trace or PCR test people. Antigen tests don't seems to be as effective in catching omicron. Maybe they are playing for endemic status if boosters hold and hospitals don't collapse but it seems like a big risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

It would be criminal not to re open school as normal in January. Teachers are vaccinated, many pupils are vaccinated. There is extremely small chance of anyone in school or working in school from getting seriously Ill from COVID. Closing schools because of community transmission would be a travesty in my opinion. Pupils have been through enough.

I teach in a secondary school and I'm not concerned with COVID at this stage there are plenty of more harmful health risks that concern me. I will follow all regulations to help keep numbers down but further school closures will start to have long term damage.

If you are against that idea to use scientific criteria to open or close schools then where does that leave us? Politicians doing what they ‘feel’ should be done.

Sounds like you teach in a highly dangerous school if transmission of Covid is the least of your health worries. Fair play!

It leaves us with you needing to specify a precise number across all the indicators. And then explain why you arrived at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I'm fully vaccinated including booster so I'm probably at a statistically higher risk of death from driving to school than from covid.

So yes on a personal level COVID does not cause massive concern. Some concern of course but important to keep all risks in perspective.

I follow all guidelines, limited all social contacts over Christmas because I understand the pressure our health system can face, however in terms of my own personal health COVID at this stage is not a significant stressor.

Simplistic nonsense. The government remembers what occurred a year ago. You obviously don't. Ignoring Nphet advice was a disaster last year

The government is between a rock and hard place. Both opening or delay opening schools is a gamble.

The next election is at least two years away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Another record, 23,281 new Covid cases, being reported for today, 1 January 2022, over on The Irish Times website in the past hour:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/department-of-health-provisionally-reports-record-23-281-new-cases-of-covid-19-1.4767321

If numbers keep rising, I'm not quite sure how they can open up schools in a mere 5 days time, especially when on 22 December, we had a seemingly overlooked report saying that "Schools still main setting for Covid outbreaks" (https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/schools-still-main-setting-for-covid-outbreaks-but-figures-fall-considerably-1.4762431)

I decided to more or less ignore that post but the reference to politicians looking to be reelected was laughable alright. The next election (early 2025?) will be fought on different terrain than potentially closing schools for a few weeks when 50k+ cases are being predicted.

It'll be fought on issues the government doesn't even have time to deal with right now, with the Ministerial positions currently held by individuals long forgotten after the reshuffle. Remember the innocence of September/October when there was the Budget and the Housing strategy was announced. I'd say they thought they were home and dry on the pandemic front and the dreary old steeples of housing and regional development were emerging from the ebbing deluge. Funny how it goes.

Mind you, it's entirely healthy that decisions are taken by people not concerned about an election around the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

The key numbers (hospitalisations and ICU count) both dropped since yesterday though. I think it's a very important metric which might even be more important than case numbers. So when you talk about numbers, it's very important to consider both numbers of severe disease (which are falling) vs the number of sniffles at home due to a solid vaccination rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Anyone who thinks that unions will have any real input into the decision re school reopening is deluded. Unions can advocate but we have seen very clearly that government will just plough ahead regardless.

I could list endless examples illustrating this, but reneging on a definite promise of vaccines for teachers as frontline workers, sending emails to principals at 5.30pm the night before that masks for 3rd-6th in primary were compulsory from the following morning, the stealthy way they added predicted grades to secondary teachers workload without compensation, the absolute bullshit of supposed funding for HEPA filters while neatly sidestepping any responsibility for central procurement are just a couple.

The most recent pay agreement has a clause that workers will not strike for its duration, threat of strikes is the unions most powerful tool, they can’t use it so they are powerless in negotiations. Combine this with the fact that no teacher I’m aware of has any inclination towards strike action considering we are among the lucky few to have been paid throughout this and to still have jobs.

The only reason schools didn’t reopen last year was the soaring hospital and ICU numbers and I believe it will be the same measure that will dictate what happens this year. Public Health’s main concern is that the health system can still function. They have repeatedly said that they don’t believe school transmission is worse than at-home transmission - look at how they only consider a pod close contacts whereas everyone at home is a close contact. Whether we agree with this or not, this is how they are measuring it.

They’ve given Sean O Foghlu, Secretary General of Dept of Ed, the power to decide whether teachers can be called into work even if they are close contacts. This is obviously a strategy to try to alleviate the inevitable and ongoing staffing issues. It’s an interesting move, taking the heat off Norma & MM. Worth bearing in mind that no-one elected Sean O Foghlu. Also worth thinking about whether you would like a potentially infectious teacher in a primary classroom with your unvaccinated child. Omicron cases have been seen to be more infectious in the days before symptoms appear, so that really complicates things.

All this ongoing uncertainty means it’s really not an easy time to be a teacher, a parent or most especially, a school-going kid.

Every decision a politican or a political party make is done to be re elected

And all unions love power

These are simple truths but they still remain true

The latest covid figures show very little deaths, South Africa has ended its own restrictons and has admitted as much

Nobody can deny the virus is no more dangerous than a cold

Schools need to open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

If schools stay closed I presume employers will know to expect employees, who are now expected to home school, to not turn up or log on for work?

Are the bars closed that you have nobody to rant to?

I think it's a bit more dangerous than a cold.

The government will be making this decision based on health advice and how much they think the public will tolerate.

As to unions and power. They again will make their response based on public health advice and what their members will tolerate and not the wisdom of bar flies.

Strikes? Thats no where on the agenda. But ultimately you are right - its up to the government to call it but the unions will have some influence. Not on opening but they showed themselves capable of telling the government to **** off last year over LC students coming in.

Look ultimately its public health decision with a few union tweaks. Even the government who have an elected mandate will bow to public health advice though they will decide how far to go.

I am not going to get into a personal argument with you

You have your personal biased reasons for why schools should shut and I have my personal biased reasons why they should open

I get it, if i had a job that allowed me to be fully paid while sitting at home I would love that ,

Let's leave at that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

But a lot of people are already getting fully paid while sitting at home, it's called working from home. Teachers have done so in the past and probably will have to do it at some stage in the future again.

Online teaching does not equate to teachers sitting at home doing nothing, you might have your personal biased reasons for believing that, I get it.

Ask any parent who actually cares about their child's education and who experienced the last lockdown and home schooling

Dreadful stuff, I have 3 primary school children and the home schooling basically was seesaw. It confirmed something I guessed anyway, bright children are not catered to in the system. That was a positive of the closures .

I would have no problem with schools closing if has access to a free child minder

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Why do you assume that parents who (correctly) say they had a very poor experience of online teaching during the lockdowns have their own “personally biased reasons”?

Many teachers did the 1 email/week thing … that has been stated by teachers and parents on this and many other threads. Is no one allowed to rightly question this???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ask any parent? Well, I am one. Daily work put up and corrected on Seesaw and secondary kids had live lessons as per timetable on Teams.

Nothing beats being in the classroom but the idea that teachers sit at home doing nothing is one that regularly gets thrown about by the anti-teacher brigade.

I notice you are a very new Boardsie who only seems to post in this thread.

Welcome !

And goodbye!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JP2000

Are you capable of saying anything else? The same thing from you over and over is beyond boring at this stage and is consistently derailing actual interesting discussion

Hello again.

The thread was moving a long quite nicely but is probably in danger of going off topic yet again, so I won't add anymore off topic posts.

Over 23k today. Keep this up and I cannot see us going back on Thursday.

@ShamoBuc

“… the idea that teachers sit at home doing nothing is one that regularly gets thrown about by the anti-teacher brigade.“

@ShamoBuc with respect, that is a ridiculous statement. We all know some teachers did nothing during the last lockdowns. Some did well, some did nothing … discussed to death here and both teachers and parents agree (yes, teachers have admitted this … read a few posts up).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

What leave am I entitled to if I have covid? Do they require a positive PCR cert? I have a few positive antigens today but getting a PCR result before Thursday is unlikely.

Also, my kids are required to do 14 days (10 if negative PCR on day 10 - again, will be difficult to get these tests), I’m out after 10, is there leave available for minding my kids for the remaining 4 days?

What is the best course of action here?

All help appreciated.

Home schooling is teachers and students both sitting around doing nothing

That's the reality and I think you know that, well i hope you do

Home schooling is a complete cod and teachers grading leaving certs is an even bigger cod

The complete dumbing down of education

But hey what can you do

• Advertisement

I think the rules are changing from Monday. Down to 7 days and there's talk of a positive Antigen test will do for work until a pcr can be sought. Covid sick leave was upto 30 days continuous I think. The union websites might be a good place to get more accurate and upto date details though. It seems to be changing regularly.

I notice you are a very new Boardsie who only seems to post in this thread.

Welcome !

And goodbye!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JP2000

Not sure how that’s relevant to be honest. I’m more of a reader than a poster. I only post when I really have the need. After reading so many of your posts saying the same thing over and over, I felt the need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

With the hospital figures falling nicely and Omicron spreading but having no real medical impact on people id say the schools will open as planned

Any delay makes very little sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement