Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

so it’s a ten minute routine job to assess, diagnose and provide treatment for every individual that sees a doctor for an appointment.

ive no idea what your lying to me or cringey comment refers to.

so are you also saying that the doctors are not profiting from the booster programme and the more they administer the more profit will be made?

1) How much profit does the average GP make per non-vaccine GP visit?

2) How much profit does the average GP make per vaccine appointment?

3) How long do both of the above take on average?

If you don't know the answer to those three questions, then you don't know what you're talking about.

My guess is that you don't know the answer to 1), possibly 2) and that you've incorrectly assumed that getting a vaccine at a GP takes the same amount of the time as it does at a vaccination centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I am telling you, in comparison to normal sessions, vaccinations pay less. I’ll have to check but I think it’s around €30 for a vaccine as opposed to an average of €50-€70 for a GP appointment. It is also worth bearing in mind that up until recently the patients had to wait 15mins for observation after vaccination which severely limited the numbers of patients GPs could jab. In effect, that meant every patient was inside the clinic for at least 30mins.

Its not that I am lying or cringy, it’s that you don’t understand the subject matter so it is taking longer to explain.

in a roundabout and somewhat insulting way you’ve agreed that GPs do indeed profit from administered boosters but vaguely suggest it’s not as much as it would be if they were running their day to day operations. I would rightly say, that all depends on how many vaccines are administered so perhaps the surgery that I went to who are on top of their spam sms operation are probably doing quite well out of it, why else do it.

I already said, the ten minutes estimate was based on testimony from users here, there was one only a few post back from someone who went into a chemist and said it was ten minutes, a GPs surgery would have to be there about also.

in a roundabout and somewhat insulting way you’ve agreed that GPs do indeed profit from administered boosters but vaguely suggest it’s not as much as it would be if they were running their day to day operations.

Eh, no I didn't, not even a little bit. You're really clinging to straws aren't you?

I would rightly say, that all depends on how many vaccines are administered so perhaps the surgery that I went to who are on top of their spam sms operation are probably doing quite well out of it, why else do it.

Because they are directed to do by the HSE. You are free to answer my questions specifically for your GP if you wish rather than deflecting again.

I already said, the ten minutes estimate was based on testimony from users here, there was one only a few post back from someone who went into a chemist and said it was ten minutes, a GPs surgery would have to be there about also.

As has already been explained to you by someone who owns a clinic, this is incorrect.

• Advertisement

Niall. Ok, I’m going to say this as simply as possible.

All GPs are extremely busy this time of year, if they are earning approx half what they would doing a normal patient session, that is not profiteering. In fact, most people who have even a vague understanding of business would see that as a loss.

So why you think GPs are profiteering from following a HSE directive to vaccinate as many people as possible really is unfathomable.

There is unfortunately no vaccine for this type of thinking.

Dav010, lay off the poor attempts at subtle put downs, is it necessary? You’ve no expert insight knowledge on this and you’re on a meaningless silly little internet forum banging away on a keyboard or phone with your two cents worth, no more, no less. Seriously, think about it.

see ye fellas. Have a nice day and happy new year.

You’ve no expert insight knowledge on this

The man owns a clinic, and doesn't have expert insight knowledge on the financials of a clinic? What?

No expert insight? Did you miss the part where I said I own a Clinic/Health Centre with GPs? I’m a Dentist myself so work in a separate part of the same Clinic. The reception staff who do all the organisation work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This was another case of the poster who wouldn't back down, they've now tried to run away thinking they've kept some dignity in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ehh, yet another who has never done anything nor will in his life being jealous of successful, hardworking people (GP's) that are really coming through in this very challenging time. With an added dose of the Irish envy at the sniff of another success. "Profiteering," like nialler could even define it without googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I had 2 Moderna and the 2nd one had bad side effects from , booster was Pfizer and fet a bit tired but that was it really and it passed in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I'm registered with two GPs in my town and the way they set up vaccinations should allow them to make a profit.

Online booking system (which of course has a cost) which limits need for calls to administration staff.

Vaccines were administered by a nurse and they hired on two students to direct patients and to input/take details.

Observation was in the waiting room.

GP input was non existent in my 3 visits.

€35 per jab, and over a 100 per day.

That was the only way to make a profit, clogging up busy doctors isn't going to work

Sure whats the big deal anyway even if the GPs are making a profit on giving out the jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Opposite two Pfizer and the Moderna booster. Felt grand after the Pfizer but the Moderna has left me bit with cold like symptoms and slight fever.

All Eyes On Rafah

Yeah I had aches and pains, was sweating and freezing at the same time and a headache from Moderna.

3 of us from work got the 2nd Moderna the same day and we all were the same after so I think the side effects from Moderna are a bit more severe than Pfizer.

Considering all my pals who have in the last week tested positive have had booster, I can't see how it provides extra protection from catching and spreading the thing.

Will hold out until my hand is forced on getting the booster.

Seems boosters are just pissing in the wind against Omicron. A better booster will come along and I'm not taking them on a continuous basis.

Did you think vaccines gave immunity from infection, and more importantly, that omicrone will be the last variant?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My 16 y/o son has been offered a booster, vaxxed at end of Sept.

Does anyone know which vaccine is being given to males of this age?

Everything I've read suggests that carditis risk is age related and greater with Moderna than Pfizer, and greater on the second dose than first. He had no obvious issues from either dose of Pfizer.

With Omicron being so prevalent (most of his friends have it) it seems likely his body is going to have to deal with it soon anyway, but I'm unclear about whether booster+Omi is "better" than just double vax+Omi.

I suppose there are two aspects: reaction to vaccine and virus, and protection against possible future variants which are nastier.

I'm not seeing much in the way of published credible advice around this, any pointers?

Doing nothing isn't an option as I see it, as inaction carries consequences too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

He should get Pfizer. Spikevax/Moderna is only being used to boost over 30s for precisely that elevated risk in younger males.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I saw a preprint out of the UK that was published on Christmas day which suggested that the estimated risk multiplier for 1st/2nd/3rd doses in men under 40 was:

Pfizer: 1.7/3.4/7.6

Moderna: 2.3/16.5

AZ: 1.3/2.6

After a positive covid test: 2.0

So it seems in every case the risk of myocarditis is higher from dose 2 of a vaccine onward than from covid infection, but Moderna is by far the highest risk.

I don't think they have data yet for Pfizer/Pfizer/Moderna.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Thanks, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Have you calculated those risk multipliers yourself? I can't see them in the text.

Unfortunately

although we were able to include 2,136,189 children aged 13 to 17 years old in this analysis, the number of myocarditis events was too small (n=43 in all periods and n=15 in the 1-28 days post vaccination) in this population and precluded an evaluate of risk

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭PaoloGotti

If it doesn’t offer significant immunity from infection then it offers little value for low risk groups. I would prefer to have Covid over a booster from now on.

How in God’s name are people still so clueless about the vaccine after all this time, and everything that has been written and said about it. It really would make you question the intelligence and ability to assimilate simple information of some people.

The vaccine improves the immune response against the virus which lessens the affect/symptoms meaning that you are less likely to become seriously ill. No one has ever claimed it gave immunity from infection.

Post edited by Dav010 on

Ooof, I would really question people who would thank this post. There'll definitely be a Herman Cain Award or two for some posters on this thread unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I am holding out to see if I can get a non mRNA Vax as my booster...seems to be better protection with the mix of Vax types...

But I'm only 4 months out from my 2nd jab so will be waiting at least 6 months

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually that has been the claim, or close to it. Until omicron hit. Get vaccinated and massively lower your risk of serious illness and death(which was vanishingly low in the under 40's anyway and pretty much nonexistent for the under 20's), substantially lower your risk of infection and transmitting it to others. The vaccines worked like a bloody charm on the serious illness/death front and made a fantastic and welcome difference there, especially to the most at risk groups, but were not nearly so good on breakthrough infections and transmissibility and the latter falls off rapidly after a few months even if omicron had never showed up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The specific claims made in the EMA conditional marketing authorisation were about reduction of "symptomatic cases".

A very large clinical trial showed that Comirnaty, given as a two-dose regimen, was effective at preventing COVID-19 in people from 12 years of age.

Efficacy in people aged 16 and above was calculated in over 36,000 participants (including people over 75 years of age) who had no sign of previous infection. The study showed a 95% reduction in the number of symptomatic COVID-19 cases in the people who received the vaccine (8 cases out of 18,198 got COVID-19 symptoms) compared with people who received a dummy injection (162 cases out of 18,325 got COVID-19 symptoms). This means that the vaccine demonstrated a 95% efficacy in the trial.

The trial in people aged 16 years and older also showed around 95% efficacy in the participants at risk of severe COVID-19, including those with asthma, chronic lung disease, diabetes, high blood pressure or obesity.

I read that as one measure of efficacy (reduction in symptomatic cases) in both all trial participants and the at-risk subgroup.

Note that COVID-19 is the disease (hence the "D") not the viral infection, so they are excluding asymptomatic cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Tested positive via an antigen test on 28 December and I've only been able to secure a PCP test for 4 January. Will I still be positive?

Advertisement