Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Chocolates, Sweets and Food

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm having my boyfriends parents and siblings over on Christmas eve for finger food and drinks. Was doing the rounds of the shops earlier and I got a bit flustered and ordered a kilo of cocktail sausages instead of a pound. There'll only be 6 of us! Better split some out for freezing or else I'll be eating sausages till new years.

I picked up the goats cheese tarts on the recommendations from here so I hope they're nice now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

In my experience you can never have too many cocktail sausages. I'd probably have got 2lbs for 6 people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Cocktail sausages are gorgeous, there’s a Neven Maguire Dunnes recipe if you want to do some sausages with a twist, here it is https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1097525/

The tarts are fab and 6 minutes in the oven even better!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Advertisement

I would love a Galaxy selection box I say it most years but never pick one up for myself il drop a hint to the OH :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Patsy167

What chocolates or sweets made the highlights reel for you this Christmas?

The Jacobs Elite tins (Kimberley, Mallows, Chocolate Mikados) were well worth it.

Can't believe how far Cadbury have fallen. Plenty Roses, Heroes, and Milk Tray left untouched.

This was a surprise find this year. Demolished two of them over the last two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,444 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I'm more of a cake fan than sweets, enjoyed the dunnes stores franzipan mince pies, the lidl favorina stollen (have had 4 already and still have 1 left) and their mince pies ( 2 boxes of 12 going into the freezer)

I always enjoy quality street sweets but only had a couple of the tubs over the season, celebrations becoming more popular than any of the Cadbury tubs in our house, the Cadbury chocolate is just too sweet for our tastes nowadays.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

On that note, anyone else at the stage of being sick of eating crap? I'm pretty much done with it now and am craving fresh fruit and veg now.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Yep. Happens to me every Christmas season. I’m still going to end the season off with a takeaway on Monday haha.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I was in Lidl on Tuesday and there were no mince pies to be had at all. 🥺

The Dunnes ice cream cake went down a treat today similar to Romantica

I actually haven’t had a take away yet for the festivities

I am liking chocolate in the mornings anyone else?

Same happened last year, all were gone before Christmas eve, that's why I made sure to pick up a couple of boxes about a week before Christmas. Same with the stollen.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That was my plan, too, but with Covid being everywhere I've been doing a monthly shop only, and the last time I was in they hadn't come in, yet.

Sarah I’ll be lying if i said every morning didn’t start with either a tea cake or a snowball.

ive been surviving off chocolate until lunch time every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

Biscuits, Pringles, mince pies, Christmas cake...... mmm breakfast....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Tried to keep the chocolate/sweet buying to a minimum and did to some extent but still have lots left over and will munch my way through January with it 😂

We bought loads in the run up to Christmas and still have loads left. On a positive note I didn’t need to buy any in the weekly shop last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭sporina

yeah not been liking sweets at all this xmas - roses or heroes.. lots left here... is it cos the choc just isn't nice anymore?

been loving mince pies (Dunnes Stores) and bickies (Jacob's Afternoon Tea and USA)

Glad to hear it the first few days of Christmas I didn’t tuck into anything earlish but the last few days when I think of my first coffee or tea I think I need something sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭A cup of te

It breaks my heart to say it because they're a tradition but I think I need to let the Roses and Quality Street go in future. They are not the sweets of old anymore and all that attracts me now is the packaging. I think Celebrations are the only tub of sweets I like. Other than that I think just the homemade Mince pies, pudding, cake etc is the way to go with a special nod to one or two boxes of good quality handmade chocolate, tunnocks teacakes, tin of biccies, walnut whip. Oh and I suppose a box of Black Magic too :-)

Amazing so many people have said that the Cadbury (moreso than QS) sweets are so poor nowadays yet still appear to be so much more popular than QS and celebrations. I still like the QS tubs but can recognise they are far from what they used to be. Think the celebrations are the stand out option now for us.

Got this twice over the Christmas season to spruce up desserts. It was amazing and if you tilt your head sideways it says a taste of Christmas and I’ll have to agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I type this has I tuck into some quality streets but like a few others have said chocolate just isn’t the same anymore, Galaxy is still divine though 😂🙏 I’m not a fan of jellies at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Aldi had their galaxy selection boxes reduced to 1.49 on Friday, you might get lucky, stock didn't seem to be shifting.

• Advertisement

I love Jellies OH did good filling my stocking with them and some Christmas decorations 😀

@Loughc thinking of a king sambo since you mentioned it

bought a box of hunky dory’s in November we used them for lunches didn’t manage to pick up another box they didn’t see to be in stock always get King regardless

Advertisement