Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I regularly travel 'outside the state' and don't require testing. When I'm outside the state I also have to wear a mask in retail situations. The other things you've mentioned, I've absolutely no control over. Therefore, I'm not a coward...and I'm not locked down.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,019 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You are, you are. You do what your told. Your exactly what we are talking about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I don`t remember Bob Geldof and the Boomtown Rats being banned from playing in Ireland. I do remember him during the Brexit campaign saying it was the "dawn of alternative facts and fake news" though.

50 years on a lot has changed including I`m assuming Bob Geldof`s views on Ireland. During the Brexit campaign he also said he was delighted that he, his children and grandchildren hold Irish passports.

I hosted a house party the other night lad. Big follower of the rules alright :rolleyes: It might surprise you to know, I haven't been following all of the rules all of the time since the start.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Excellent post.

The only place I have seen these points raised elsewhere has been in the UK through former Law Lord Jonathan Sumption.

States have always tried to confine people known to be carrying dangerous infections. But we live in a new world in which, if we are ill, the State will try to cure us. From this, it is said to follow that the State can take control of our lives against our will even if we are healthy, lest we fall ill and need its services too much.

Sadly,Ireland appears to be bereft of people prepared to defy the NPHET/Cabinet cabal,which leaves us spectacularly vulnerable to the less than rational decisions of them.

Follow the Money.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,019 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well then I apologise then, your posting makes no sense at all to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

100%.

It's very instructive to compare ourselves to our nearest neighbour. Today their Health Secretary, Sajid Javid has said that more restrictions will be an "absolute last resort " and that the UK must look to "live alongside Cornavirus in 2022".

Imagine an Irish Minister coming out with this. They'd probably be lynched and strung from a lamppost.

Covid has exposed us as an incredibly cowardly nation.

It all comes down to the question that I asked my other half when I heard the news about our lockdown in March 2020 - how long are we going to do this for? How long are we prepared to do it for? At what point do we decide that it's safe to come out, safe to open up society? My suspicion was that we were not going to be able to eliminate this virus. Why?

Well, humanity has a poor track record of eliminating infectious diseases (there are 2, and smallpox took two hundred years to eradicate).

If (We don't know for 100% yet) Omicron is indeed milder, causes less hospitalisations and deaths then nature has done humanity a big favour. I hope we all can be honest with ourselves though - it wasn't humanity's technical or societal prowess that helped us here. It was not lockdown. It was not social distancing. It was not the vaccines. It was the evolution of the virus - it was nature. We need to learn the correct lessons here.

I have been consistently making similar points to Sumption since January 2021 to my local TDs. I have been largely ignored, but some people are coming around to my way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

You can Google it.

and your right he did say all of those things, for a time it looked like ireland had claimed her rightful position as a modern outward looking progressive society. Brave enough to face down the blue rinse brigade and the Catholic Church to vote in marriage equality and allow women to make their own decisions.

but here we are today. Ireland put MM in charge, he wants the title of an Taoiseach but doesn’t want to make any of the hard decisions, he’s abdicated to Tony who wants to make all the decisions but hasn’t been elected by anybody. When you raise you hand to say sorry professor Nolan 1+2 isn’t equal 7 you get called a conspiracy theorist and beasty deletes your comment.

so no, not much has changed, the Irish begrudgery and curtain twitching is the same as it always was.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Floppybits

And those same people that voted for marriage equality and to allow women make decisions about their own bodies are some of the same people now who are championing the covid cert and looking to have people who have made a decision about their own body not to take the vaccine treated as lesser citizens and they look down on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I’m not sure about that. I have a sub to the Irish Times so I can read the comments. A huge proportion of the comments on COVID articles are anti restrictions and very critical of Tony and the government. Education also matters to them and I think all are starting to see the terrible impact of the school closures.

Nope. I was all for marriage equality and a woman's choice. I'm also against the vaccine certs. It's not as black and white as you are making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Back in the day Bob was the leader of a punk band. Outfits that were not out looking for cosy comfy headlines. They were believers that there was no such thing as bad publicity back then and actively courted controversy. I would not put a lot of store in what many of them said then.

No more than I do now with this narrative by some that Tony Holohan is some type of Svengali that by sheer power of will can bend a 32 person committee, a Government and opposition to unquestionably do as he dictates. Even as conspiracy theories go, it sound one of the sillier one to me, but if some wish to believe it that is up to them. Personally I look on it as the few that can see a conspiracy in anything under the sun, and the rest being those that are frustrated and looking for someone to kick with him being the closest to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He came back last November, leaked his letter to the media and then we were told we can only leave the house for work, grocery shopping or excercise. It was house arrest with privileges.

He tweeted about South William Street as a call to the Garda to get it shut down. We were calling it for what it was even before the Garda turned up the next day.

He has been operating well beyond his role.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

How do you know what his role is?

Have you seen the job specification?

Sorry that you were living in such harsh circumstances. Oh, he didn't order the guards onto the streets by the way. He doesn't have the authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Priests never ordered unmarried women into those homes. They didn’t have the authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Ah yeah sure the BBC are good at making a crowd seem larger than it actually is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It'll take a bit more than all of that to convince me to live in Boris Johnson's world of brexit and corruption... Mind you it is tempting

Jobs are a bit more plentiful as well, if I was in the entertainment industry I'd be basing myself in England for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Very encouraging news on the hospitalization front today, with discharges exceeding total new confirmed cases in hospital for the first time in a while.

Let's hope it continues, but it is certainly a very encouraging start to the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's a documentary about them with large dollops of dubious revisionism of the 1970s but they just wanted to be in London for the music action. It didn't stop him mouthing off about the misery of Ireland any chance he got though, an attitude that prevails in some quarters to this day!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Back on topic please, thread is all over the place right now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

we are a surprisingly compliant people and I have to say I lost a little respect for the hospitality sector, if they dont seem to give a sht about their own survival Im not sure why I should care.

I guess it will be up to the French or German public to lead the way, they have a more bolshi base

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It turns out that not every post in the thread is about you.

Shocking I know - stay strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I'm not debating civil liberties and I see the current restrictions as pretty bonkers out of historical context.

It seems completely unfair to huge swathes of society. What I'm saying is there is a high percentage of our society much better off in restrictions. That's how **** things were up to 2020.

It's like Putin, authoritarian and anti LGBT. I wouldn't want him leading our country but for the average Russian he's probably doing a great. Things are much better under him than USSR/ Yeltsin..

For a lot of Irish, they have less restrictions under restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Blut2

This is from London as of today, which is a couple of weeks ahead of us in Omnicron. I'd love if someone showed it, and the footage of thousands of people partying in nightclubs in London for NYE and for the last month, to our government next week when they're deciding on what extra restrictions they'll no doubt be bringing in "because we have to".

Its mind boggling that they're living life largely as normal while we're locked down and theres no difference in our numbers, yet our government continues with this madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭brickster69

Some queue to get into Depot mayfield in Manchester last night from the look of things. Look at the state of them, no social distancing and not a mask in sight.

Bunch of nutcases over there they are. Shocking stuff !

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Advertisement